bhoyal

Hondo & Neumann have both passed

Johnny Neumann died Tuesday night in Oxford, Mississippi, at the age of 68; Neumann, who played at Memphis Overton High School, Ole Miss and for the Memphis Tams, is regarded as one of area's all-time great basketball products.  https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/2019/04/24/johnny-neumann-obituary-overton-high-school-ole-miss-memphis-tams/3565208002/

Former Celtics great John “Hondo” Havlicek dies at 79 https://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20190425/former-celtics-great-john-hondo-havlicek-dies-at-79

very SAD for me to her about the great john havlicek when I started following the n,b,a back in the early 70s the Celtics had  great teams  led by hondo, this death hit home with me my fathers around the same age 

42 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Did you ever see Butler play?

Yes. Many times. Overton, Kingsbury, and Treadwell were all big rivals back then. Overton had a very small guard named Steve Betzleberger that gave Mike Butler fits. As far as simply a scorer, to me it was Neumann.

1 hour ago, oldmanGrizz said:

Neumann was the greatest high school basketball natural scorer I've ever seen.

wish i could have seen him.

im the same age as penny and got the opportunity to see him come up through the years. he's the best i ever laid eyes on.

slim.

I never saw Neumann play in high school but I saw him in the ABA. He was good but never made that big of an impression on me at that level. 

Now when I saw Dr J with the Nets I was blown away. 

10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I never saw Neumann play in high school but I saw him in the ABA. He was good but never made that big of an impression on me at that level. 

I agree, but he was absolutely incredible in high school. He would have been happy to shoot every possession if he could (and he almost did).

34 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It’s amazing you have no problem with this being posted here🙄

Yes. Many times. Overton, Kingsbury, and Treadwell were all big rivals back then. Overton had a very small guard named Steve Betzleberger that gave Mike Butler fits. As far as simply a scorer, to me it was Neumann.

Butler could score, we played them at State, Bear McClain told our coach to shut the other players down and make Butler do all the scoring, we did that in the 1st half and we were in the game but our coach wanted him shut down and then the other guys got involved and they pretty much blew us away. I guess you saw Hawkins too.

10 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Butler could score, we played them at State, Bear McClain told our coach to shut the other players down and make Butler do all the scoring, we did that in the 1st half and we were in the game but our coach wanted him shut down and then the other guys got involved and they pretty much blew us away. I guess you saw Hawkins too.

Yes I did. Hawkins was pretty good too. Wasn't his first name Jimmy, or am I too old to remember?

40 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

It’s amazing you have no problem with this being posted here🙄

What makes you think I don't? It's just not my job to move posts to the proper forum. 

Yes I did. Hawkins was pretty good too. Wasn't his first name Jimmy, or am I too old to remember?

Not to old, his name was indeed Jimmy. 6-6 6-7 run like a deer.