The Grizzlies have hired Glenp Grunwald and Richard school. Both have experience as a NBA GM. No more complaints about the lack of experience in the front office.

Now we can concentrate on complaining about them being the wrong hires!

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies have hired Ernie Grunfeld and Richard school. Both have experience as a NBA GM. No more complaints about the lack of experience in the front office.

Now we can concentrate on complaining about them being the wrong hires!

Can we make jokes about somebody's name?

Like we're middle schoolers, and I'm not referring to Ernie.

Nah it's Grunwald, ex-Raps gm from way back dunno where else he's worked. Just got an alert.

And whoever called that Rich Cho signing treat yourself to a beer on that one good call!

Did Grunwald ruin the Knicks when he was there or make them good?

Cho was bad in Charlotte but I think he's supposed to be good with day to day things/not decision making.

47 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Too Many Cooks

The Clippers have like 4 guys and it works. Let's just hope they're smart people who can cover each other's weaknesses

34 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Did Grunwald ruin the Knicks when he was there or make them good?

Cho was bad in Charlotte but I think he's supposed to be good with day to day things/not decision making.

Grunwald was with the Raptors way back when they made the draft day trade for Carter and then was part of the dysfunctional Thomas regime w/ the Knicks; you're right about Cho w/r/t the day-to-day and he was pretty successful in OKC (query how much of that was him vs. Presti though).

One thing I'm noticing is that these guys are all lawyers/have law degrees. Wonder if/why Pera is drawn to that.

Well at least we finally have experienced NBA guys on the team.   I  hope they elevate Tayshaun, we really need someone with actual NBA playing experience in the room. 

Rich Cho article from today on The Athletic:

“I had done some part-time work for the Grizzlies during the season, just studying the league and best practices around different teams, starting last September, I started looking around the league, analyzing every team in a number of different categories.”

As Cho tells it, though, once new team president Jason Wexler and Kleiman assumed control in Memphis, Kleiman contacted him right away to be a full-time part of the front office.

“I’ll be involved in a lot of different aspects of basketball operations,” Cho said. “I’ll be overseeing analytics, all the salary cap administration, and I’ll be advising on player personnel issues, any type of player acquisitions.”

Boiling it down, though, Cho knows that he’s here to be an advisor and a supporter for the inexperienced Kleiman as he learns the ropes about being, essentially, the team’s General Manager. “On a 30,000-foot level, I’ll be helping Zach out wherever he needs help, and advising him accordingly,” Cho said. “As the GM, he’s going to have to wear a lot of hats and be involved in everything, and I’m going to try to help him out wherever I can.”

Well, at least they fille dout the front office before bringing in a coach. (assuming these are the last guys being hired). Now, let's fine out where we're picking in the draft, come up with a go forward strategy and then hire a coach that fits your strategy. We'll see how this plays out.

I never understood why teams hire coaches before front office people. It's just screaming that a conflict will happen.

Well, I recognized both of their names, so I know they are basketball guys and that's good. 

But honestly I don't know how good, or bad, these guys were at their previous positions so someone who knows can maybe fill in the rest of us.

Someone mentioned too many cooks in the kitchen and that was my first thought.  I'm not a fan of managing by committee...it doesn't work. 

But if these guys were brought in to be advisors to the guy who's going to take ownership for all the moves, then that might be okay.

Either way, I'm going to be optimistic that these are steps in the right direction.

NOW LET'S GET US A GOOD COACH!!!

6 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I like Cho I like the moves he made in Charlotte even though they didn't really pan out I like the players he drafted at their position. You could see the intent behind the selections. It wasn't like Wallace and his checklist that he went through.

Wow, I just had quite a scare.  I attempted to look up Glen Grunwald and accidentally looked up Ernie Grunfeld.  Grunfeld was Washington's version of Chris Wallace, only worse.

Chris Herrington has pointed out that both guys have been on the Grizzlies payroll for a while already.  

So who was making the call on various moves these past few years?

6 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Chris Herrington has pointed out that both guys have been on the Grizzlies payroll for a while already.  

So who was making the call on various moves these past few years?

I don't believe what they meant by for a while is years. I think they have been around this season behind the scenes. 

A team source confirms that both Grunwald and Cho did some consulting work for the Grizzlies this past season,

14 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Too Many Cooks

Did you mean "crooks", as in lawyers? 😄

2 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Did you mean "crooks", as in lawyers? 😄

Too Many Cooks is a reference to a video by Comedy Central, which went viral as it was a play on SitCom openings.   Funny concept that gets a little bizarre as it goes on and on.  Actually goes on way too long for me....

Did Cho mess up char?

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Too Many Cooks is a reference to a video by Comedy Central, which went viral as it was a play on SitCom openings.   Funny concept that gets a little bizarre as it goes on and on.  Actually goes on way too long for me....

I got it, I was just joking (see smiley face thingy). It's an old saying.

In all seriousness, why I was harping about it was because to me what stands out is that with the top three decision makers, none of them are there for being experts in their field. That is to be taken as a gimme with regards to ownership (excluding Jordan) but in any business in the world it seems among the people that have final say, one of them should be an expert in their field and usually are. Cho and Grunwald are glorified advisers. It is obviously good for decision makers to surround themselves with people that could be seen as experts in their specific field of business (NBA basketball), but it all hinges on what Pera and the two lawyers do with information obtained from their advisors. To me I keep wondering why Pera would want a couple of lawyers running the Grizzlies. One and a basketball guy would make sense, kind of a check and balance thing.

It doesn't make sense for two basketball coaches to run a law firm. It doesn't make sense for two basketball coaches to run Pera's tech company. But it is supposed to make sense to have two lawyers running the Grizzlies?

On 4/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, SD2042 said:

This is going to be interesting.

I hope it works  one concern I have both men FAILED at there last dig 

but I also know  the last two stops that  both men worked for the two worst owner in the N.B.A. I hope this hired turn  out to be a blessing and something GREAT happens