Sign in to follow this  
SC Grizz

Role Players

This may be a sort of a weird topic, but I am noticing when watching the playoff teams that they all have guys that have some decent longevity on that team's roster who are not the "Big 2-3" or highest paid guys. These guys are also necessarily the best upcoming stars or guys on rookie deals, but instead the Jerami Grants or Evan Turners of the world. We used to have Darrell Arthur and Shane Battier as those type of players. Even Mo Speights.

Over the past few (3-4) seasons as we have completely turned over the top part of our roster we have also repeatedly shuffled role players. 

I hope we can find a few role players to build around and create stability. Whether it is Slo Mo or Bruno or somebody else I think this is critical to having a successful basketball team.

30 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

This may be a sort of a weird topic, but I am noticing when watching the playoff teams that they all have guys that have some decent longevity on that team's roster who are not the "Big 2-3" or highest paid guys. These guys are also necessarily the best upcoming stars or guys on rookie deals, but instead the Jerami Grants or Evan Turners of the world. We used to have Darrell Arthur and Shane Battier as those type of players. Even Mo Speights.

Over the past few (3-4) seasons as we have completely turned over the top part of our roster we have also repeatedly shuffled role players. 

I hope we can find a few role players to build around and create stability. Whether it is Slo Mo or Bruno or somebody else I think this is critical to having a successful basketball team.

I guess I cam get what you are saying but which role players were acquired while the teams were lottery teams? It seems like (to me) that most were picked up after the foundation was set.

14 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

Good point.   We have gotten into nasty habit recently of undervaluing a good role player.    We expect almost every rotation guy to be darn near AllStar caliber or trade them. 

I am totally good with Bruno and SloMo developing as role/glue guys for the longterm.   Every team needs atleast a couple of guys that can counted on for stability's sake.   Tony was basically a glorified role player his entire stint and was integral to our success. 

I think people prefer to get the stars first then for guys around them 

A few things:

1 - It's tough to get solid role players when Gasol/Conley/Parsons ate up most the cap space. 

2 - Since the Pera/Levien/Abadi takeover on court consistency hasn't been as important.  Yes there was a time of the "core 4" but all around them was a constant rotation of role players.

3 - Injuries have killed a lot of momentum a lot of seasons.

4 - Sometimes we see the flaws of our own players more than guys we only see during playoffs.  Also, it is easier to be a role model playing with James Harden or Steph Curry because of their greatness.

The Grizzlies best season (12/13) basically only had two role players joining the previous year's team (Wayne Ellington/J Bayless) otherwise it was basically returning the same team as the previous year (only Rudy and Zach were both healthier at that time).  And some of those guys had been playing several years together at that point.

Conley/Bayless

Tony Allen/W Ellington

Rudy Gay/Q Pon

Zach/D Arthur

Gasol/Speights

Levien/Pera started midseason dealing players, and it seems like with each couple years now, there is almost a full team turnover, including coaches.  I believe there needs to be regular roster turnover.  Too much doesn't help, but you can't stay the same either.  This franchise has had way too much.  Only Conley remains from 15-16; and only Conley & Parsons are around from 16-17.  AND those two plus Dillon and Rabb are the only guys from last season (not that I miss a a bunch of those other guys).

18 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

On the other side of the coin you have the Bucks with point guards Bledsoe and Hill. Combined they are paid more than Conley. Neither of them averaged over 30 mpg (49 minutes per game combined). I believe that the teams are more financially constricted than ever. The sharp decline of players opting out of contracts when they can also points to this. It seems to have become easier and more prudent (for the rest of the league) to keep the good role players who used to be the guys most likely to get traded or let go in free agency.

22 hours ago, Dwash said:

I guess I cam get what you are saying but which role players were acquired while the teams were lottery teams? It seems like (to me) that most were picked up after the foundation was set.

This may be very true. Like for Evan Turner he was definitely acquired after Dame. 

There is an art to it for sure. The timing that is. 

7 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

The Grizzlies best season (12/13) basically only had two role players joining the previous year's team (Wayne Ellington/J Bayless) otherwise it was basically returning the same team as the previous year (only Rudy and Zach were both healthier at that time).  And some of those guys had been playing several years together at that point.

Conley/Bayless

Tony Allen/W Ellington

Rudy Gay/Q Pon

Zach/D Arthur

Gasol/Speights

Levien/Pera started midseason dealing players, and it seems like with each couple years now, there is almost a full team turnover, including coaches.  I believe there needs to be regular roster turnover.  Too much doesn't help, but you can't stay the same either.  This franchise has had way too much.  Only Conley remains from 15-16; and only Conley & Parsons are around from 16-17.  AND those two plus Dillon and Rabb are the only guys from last season (not that I miss a a bunch of those other guys).

I also agree with the top part of your post Grizzled Vet, but I guess this bottom portion better describes my thoughts when writing the OP. 

I know we (Grizz diehards) all want stud All Star players from 1 through 10 on the depth chart, but it just isn't realistic. Especially not for a market like Memphis. Continuity does count for something particularly for the back half of the roster. Know your role, stay in your lane, get your 10 minutes. And all that.

4 hours ago, Father Pat said:

On the other side of the coin you have the Bucks with point guards Bledsoe and Hill. Combined they are paid more than Conley. Neither of them averaged over 30 mpg (49 minutes per game combined). I believe that the teams are more financially constricted than ever. The sharp decline of players opting out of contracts when they can also points to this. It seems to have become easier and more prudent (for the rest of the league) to keep the good role players who used to be the guys most likely to get traded or let go in free agency.

No doubt. You are spot on.

Seems like when the rest of the league does something we are behind the curve. 

SloMo definitely fits this though for us. Hopefully we fans don't turn against him if he doesn't become our next "star". 

most of the grizzlies players past/present  were role players 

4 hours ago, lions said:

most of the grizzlies players past/present  were role players 

Just curious but what player past/present wasn’t a role player?

6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

every grizzlies past/present  player  would have been a role player on other teams if traded , there no grizzlies player that I can name that would have been that  teams  main player . the only grizzlies player I see making the H.O.F is pau Gasol ,and that because of los angeles lakers and kobe 

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Zbo....

25 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

Zbo....

Definitely

6 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Definitely

7 posts away