Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

Where Should Conley Be Traded?

I have not read or seen the interviews but I was surprised to hear Mike talking about wanting to be traded. Maybe he's just getting out in front of what he knows will happen. So trade him for the best deal, period. Marc probably took less money to get the trade kicker. I was surprised that Mike took a max contract. He could have at least given a no-state-tax discount. Mike has something to do with why we are where we are.

I'm supporting Smit-Tay on this one.

The first deal, Mozgov etc is absolutely ludicrous, we'd be dead stupid to even consider that. We could offer Parsons and get that, minus the pick

The second deal with Minny is more realistic, it ain't great but in the absence of any other deal, it's worth considering.

Deal #3, why would the FO do that when they already knocked back Utah with "better" pieces? This is just a rehashed deal but with less being offered than the original one.

Deal #4 is laughable

Deal #5 is more realistic, a deal like this structured around getting a pick, but not immediately, is quite likely to be a common theme in the make-up of deals. And might benefit us if we are not able to convey the Boston pick before it come unrestricted.

The leverage is with us. Who cares if Mike doesn't wanna play anymore, he ain't gonna be in more demand by refusing to suit up like Davis has. The size of his contract hamstrings his leverage.

Also, you guys need to let the FA play out, all our considerations won't mean nothing if Kyrie wants out, Kemba wants out, Beale gets dealt, a PG suitor offers DA Russell a max offer. There is a hell of a lot to play out, it's way to early to take a deal right now.

What if Kawhi stays at Toronto?, they could make a move for Mike (or Kyrie, or Kemba) to dump Lowry (who sucks)

If Mike wants out, fine, that's his problem, we've got until Feb to make a deal, some teams are gonna be sweating at that time, it'd be stupid to make a deal right now. In the meantime, we can use Mike to get us some early wins so that we can get out of the bottom 6 and convey next season, if we don't this lottery.

I like the Hayward deal.  His contract is pretty much identical to Mike's, and you sell him on being the go-to guy; because he would be until Jaren is ready to take over that role.

I also like Brandon Ingram; and I wouldn't mind taking Lonzo Ball.  If that kid ever develops a consistent outside shot, he will be an amazing PG.

Both of these scenarios would hinge on those players being willing, because you don't want any malcontents on the team.

It seems to me that some people are thinking that we must trade Mike Conley.  All I'm saying is that if there are no offers that are likely to improve the team we don't have to deal.  Let him keep playing in Beale St. blue until we get something better than a lowball offer.  I just think we should have more patience and not make some sort of panic deal.  The Grizzlies' world will not end if we don't trade him right away.

8 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Mike Conley is a 32 year old oft injured, non-Allstar making $30 million a year.  You act like we are trading some All NBA guy in his prime.  And no the franchise would not be better letting him retire as a Grizz because you don't know when he is going to retire.  The franchise would be better off recouping lost assets and moving forward with Jaren.

How many ways does Conley need to say he wants to be traded for fans to get it?

Mike Conley is 31, played 70 games this year and would have come back last year had the grizzlies not purposely tanked. Hyperbole much?

39 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It seems to me that some people are thinking that we must trade Mike Conley.  All I'm saying is that if there are no offers that are likely to improve the team we don't have to deal.  Let him keep playing in Beale St. blue until we get something better than a lowball offer.  I just think we should have more patience and not make some sort of panic deal.  The Grizzlies' world will not end if we don't trade him right away.

Remember last time pera shook up the front office? wexler seems like another snot-nosed kid that is going to do just what this board wants and get robbed.

Conley is a top 5 point guard in this league and if he gets traded and doesn't get what Chris Paul got in a trade, the grizzlies will have gotten robbed. Period, the end.

It's funny, that every team is trying to go to a 3 guard lineup, and yet this board wants to trade for Gordon Hayward just so that the grizzlies don't have mike on the team anymore.

16 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I'd be disappointed if MC ended up in Phoenix or any other borderline EC playoff team, I think he'd be disappointed and rather just stay in Memphis.

The thing is, he did sacrifice his stats by playing with the big guys that got him to the playoffs, but that's what's going to happen if he goes somewhere.  He's going to take a backseat to a better player or 2 (hurts his stats) or if he is the top player, the team won't be much better than here, especially if they have to give up something of value to get him.

I would add Bucks to the list, and possibly Rapors. I think Pistons are still in play, but that would just be "making noise".

As the old saying goes, business, never personal. Yes, Mike has been good for this franchise, but giving him that max contract negates any good that he has done imho and recruiting Chancun makes it even worse. He got what he wanted and it hurt the franchise for going on 3 years now. Obviously no team could offer what we could, but I'm not even sure if there was another max-type offer out there for him. He's averaging $31 mil a year and he has never been an All-Star or even come close to an All-NBA team. How many players can you say that about that get paid in the range that Mike does? The Grizz have been berry berry gud to Mike. it's time to move on.

I also didn't appreciate the interview in The Athletic because he came off sounding like a victim to me. Oh it's time for him to be selfish, what do you call taking a 5 year, $153 million contract? if he was so selfless, why not take a 2 year, $10 mil contract to free up cap space to sign additional free agents. It's a bunch of bull malarkey. He wasn't getting anywhere near that on the open market. He could've taken less and gone to a better team with a brighter future, he CHOSE to stay in Memphis, mainly because of that max contract. I have zero sympathy for him. He and Chancun took up roughly 50% of the salary cap. That hurt the team, especially with them being injured. 

Lastly, as far as what we can get for him in a trade, I have no clue. I will say you rarely get equal value for star players and I don't think the league looks at Mike as a star. They look at him as a solid player but not a star, maybe because he plays in Memphis, who knows. If we're able to get a first round pick, cap relief and a starter type player, that would be golden. i don't think those trades are that far off. I think if we would have received better deals, he would have been traded at the past trade deadline. We shouldn't overvalue Mike because he plays in Memphis and I don't think the Grizz have any obligation to send him to a playoff team or anywhere where he can maintain his stats. They felt an obligation to give him a max deal, that's enough to me. Now it's time for the team to be selfish and put this team in a position to get better instead of putting faith in Conley. 

21 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

As the old saying goes, business, never personal. Yes, Mike has been good for this franchise, but giving him that max contract negates any good that he has done imho and recruiting Chancun makes it even worse. He got what he wanted and it hurt the franchise for going on 3 years now. Obviously no team could offer what we could, but I'm not even sure if there was another max-type offer out there for him. He's averaging $31 mil a year and he has never been an All-Star or even come close to an All-NBA team. How many players can you say that about that get paid in the range that Mike does? The Grizz have been berry berry gud to Mike. it's time to move on.

I also didn't appreciate the interview in The Athletic because he came off sounding like a victim to me. Oh it's time for him to be selfish, what do you call taking a 5 year, $153 million contract? if he was so selfless, why not take a 2 year, $10 mil contract to free up cap space to sign additional free agents. It's a bunch of bull malarkey. He wasn't getting anywhere near that on the open market. He could've taken less and gone to a better team with a brighter future, he CHOSE to stay in Memphis, mainly because of that max contract. I have zero sympathy for him. He and Chancun took up roughly 50% of the salary cap. That hurt the team, especially with them being injured. 

Lastly, as far as what we can get for him in a trade, I have no clue. I will say you rarely get equal value for star players and I don't think the league looks at Mike as a star. They look at him as a solid player but not a star, maybe because he plays in Memphis, who knows. If we're able to get a first round pick, cap relief and a starter type player, that would be golden. i don't think those trades are that far off. I think if we would have received better deals, he would have been traded at the past trade deadline. We shouldn't overvalue Mike because he plays in Memphis and I don't think the Grizz have any obligation to send him to a playoff team or anywhere where he can maintain his stats. They felt an obligation to give him a max deal, that's enough to me. Now it's time for the team to be selfish and put this team in a position to get better instead of putting faith in Conley. 

How has it hurt the franchise? 

I just wonder how many people are factoring in the other team's cap situation when making these suggestions? If we are working off the 2018-19 season numbers that trading window is closed. We have to work off next season's cap figures to understand what team's can offer. 

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I just wonder how many people are factoring in the other team's cap situation when making these suggestions? If we are working off the 2018-19 season numbers that trading window is closed. We have to work off next season's cap figures to understand what team's can offer. 

Yep, that's what I did in my original post. I looked at 2019-2020 salaries.

Just now, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Yep, that's what I did in my original post. I looked at 2019-2020 salaries.

I expected no less from you. It is some of the other ideas I am questioning. 

55 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Also, he wasn't interviewed by the athletic.

And again, the allstar game is SO valueable that Adam Silver is trying his best to get rid of it. It's stupid game and it's been that way for a while.

Also, name me one player other than Mike Conley, from that free agent year, that anybody has said that said player has EARNED that contract.

Many, many people have said that about Mike though: Charles Barkley for example.

You seem butt-hurt by something which I have no clue what? The grizzlies gng will live long after you seem to think it will and Mike Conley will be praised for years to come.

And you still haven't answered my question, how has mike HURT the grizzlies?

39 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

How has it hurt the franchise? 

His max salary plus Chancun's max salary restricted our chances of signing any impact players. You add in Marc and those 3 players took up like what 70% of the salary cap for us?Those 3 players aren't good enough to do that not to mention Parsons injury history and the fact that Mike was out for almost an entire season. 

We're the smallest market team in the league yet we're like 7th in salaries. Out of the top 10 team salaries in the NBA, Memphis and Miami are the only 2 that didn't make the playoffs. That's a bad model and I believe teh numbers were similar last year. 

3 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Also, he wasn't interviewed by the athletic.

Huh? What exactly do you call this:

Mike Conley candid: Hurt and taken for granted, but still wanting to play for a title (somewhere)

And this:

A candid Mike Conley spoke at length with The Athletic exclusively about a year of difficult personal growth, his uncertain future and determination to get the individual acclaim he feels has been too long in coming.

8 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

We're the smallest market team in the league yet we're like 7th in salaries. Out of the top 10 team salaries in the NBA, Memphis and Miami are the only 2 that didn't make the playoffs. That's a bad model and I believe teh numbers were similar last year. 

Which is why i don't see them trading for Gordon Hayward.  He makes as much as Conley and we have no idea what it's gonna take to keep Delon and Jonas.   I am almost willing to bet that any trade of Conley won't return the same amount of salary.  No need to be Top 10 in salaries when we aren't ready to seriously compete.  

That's why Indy looks like a realistic option.   They will have the capspace and motivation to make a Conley deal especially after they get swept.  

Anthony Davis trade will happen right before the draft.   I am sure NOP will want to select their own players.   Once that shoe drops then we will see the offers for Conley materialize. 

And for the record, I have absolutely positively nothing against Conley. It's not personal. I just think it's time to move on from him. We waited too late to move on from Z-Bo and TA. We should have learned our lesson and we should strike while the fire's hot. I think Conley may be in peak trade value after a relatively injury free season and avg a career high in points. I think now is the time to move on. Keeping him next year won't really benefit us. He needs some new scenery and so we. If we're somehow in the position to draft Ja Morant, then that makes the decision a lot easier. Although, I have reservations about Morant. He was a really late bloomer but I remember reading a story where he said he grew like 5 inches from 10th to 12th grade. in 10th grade, he was 5'10" and couldn't dunk by the end of his 12th grade year, he was 6'3" and dunking and improved over the summer between his senior and college freshman years. So it's probably just a case of him getting used to his body. 

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Which is why i don't see them trading for Gordon Hayward.  He makes as much as Conley and we have no idea what it's gonna take to keep Delon and Jonas.   I am almost willing to bet that any trade of Conley won't return the same amount of salary.  No need to be Top 10 in salaries when we aren't ready to seriously compete.  

That's why Indy looks like a realistic option.   They will have the capspace and motivation to make a Conley deal especially after they get swept.  

Anthony Davis trade will happen right before the draft.   I am sure NOP will want to select their own players.   Once that shoe drops then we will see the offers for Conley materialize. 

Good points. 

24 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

His max salary plus Chancun's max salary restricted our chances of signing any impact players. You add in Marc and those 3 players took up like what 70% of the salary cap for us?Those 3 players aren't good enough to do that not to mention Parsons injury history and the fact that Mike was out for almost an entire season. 

Mike is an impact player, and chandler was the only type of free agent that the grizzlies could attract. Sure we missed out on the kyle anderson's of the world I guess, but the grizzlies free agency was not severely hindered by what the grizzlies couldn't get.

12 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I think now is the time to move on. Keeping him next year won't really benefit us. He needs some new scenery and so we.

This is where i am at also.   Time to completely turn the page on GnG era.   Conley is the last holdout from that era now that Wallace/Hollinger have been set out to pasture.   

I think a few of X's trades were decent deals. Just because Conley is really special in Memphis doesn't mean he's that in other cities to other franchises. We saw what value he had during the trade deadline we saw what teams were willing to give up for him. Nothing happened between then and now that's going to make that value go up. Conley will be another year older next season with one year left on his big contract. If the team can get two picks for him and lesser players that should be considered. There isn't going to be an offer where the team gets good players and a pick or cap relief and good players the Grizz played hardball at the deadline but now it's time to take an offer.

Conley has already expressed he's ready to go and would like to play for a team that's contending for something so that hurts his value as well cause team's know he wants a specific situation so the bad teams might not even offer as much. Waiting for next year's deadline is like stepping on a landmine but not picking your foot backup if Conley gets hurt you can almost forget about trading him cause he already has the tag of being injury prone the team should absolutely not take that risk.

Out of the core 4 Conley might be the only one that can get the Grizz a 1st in return cause they waited too long on the other 3. They need to make the move before the season.

1 minute ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think a few of X's trades were decent deals. Just because Conley is really special in Memphis doesn't mean he's that in other cities to other franchises. We saw what value he had during the trade deadline we saw what teams were willing to give up for him. Nothing happened between then and now that's going to make that value go up. Conley will be another year older next season with one year left on his big contract. If the team can get two picks for him and lesser players that should be considered. There isn't going to be an offer where the team gets good players and a pick or cap relief and good players the Grizz played hardball at the deadline but now it's time to take an offer.

Conley has already expressed he's ready to go and would like to play for a team that's contending for something so that hurts his value as well cause team's know he wants a specific situation so the bad teams might not even offer as much. Waiting for next year's deadline is like stepping on a landmine but not picking your foot backup if Conley gets hurt you can almost forget about trading him cause he already has the tag of being injury prone the team should absolutely not take that risk.

Out of the core 4 Conley might be the only one that can get the Grizz a 1st in return cause they waited too long on the other 3. They need to make the move before the season.

That is part of your problem. You look at conley as part of gng, rather than looking at his talents and what he could provide a team to win games. That's the entire boards problem with Mike, in a nutshell.

I don't like mike conley simply because I'm holding on to the nostalgia of gng. I like him as what he brings to the table talent wise.

The ironic part is that the people who are always criticizing the mike conley supporters for holding on to the past are largely the ones that can't let the past go.

And no, X's trades were terrible. You should be thinking Chris Paul type deals, or nothing.  

13 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I'm just stating facts. I wouldn't take Mike Conley for LeBron James straight up right now. 

The insanity of this statement is two fold: 1) Lebron is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better player than Conley. 2) Even if you don't want the Lebron headache or Lebron doesn't want to be here (a certainty), you could flip him for way more assets than you could flip Conley. 

So either you are delusional (quite possible) or you're just speaking out the side of your neck to show your love and loyalty to Conley.

11 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think a few of X's trades were decent deals. Just because Conley is really special in Memphis doesn't mean he's that in other cities to other franchises. We saw what value he had during the trade deadline we saw what teams were willing to give up for him. Nothing happened between then and now that's going to make that value go up.

Nah X's deals were garbage.    No something did happen between now and then that made Conley's value go up.  Actually two pretty big things happened.    One, teams got to see Conley fully unshackled by getting to play in a fast paced offense and he performed AllStar level (maybe AllNBa).   Two, these teams will get destroyed in Playoffs and realize they are stuck in the middle.  

Utah, Detroit and Indy are already regretting not making better offers for him.    When Orlando loses they will really go hard to add a PG because DJ Augustin is NOT the answer.    Charlotte may lose Kemba and Jordan.    If Knicks strike out with Kyrie and KD they will be desperate too. 

Conley will get much better offers this summer.  Going into the season with him will be way to risky. 

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Man I agree. Trading him to a team of his wishes is some of that Grizz baloney that we always hear. Even in starting they cant get it right. You got a guy that has never been an All star on a team that has never won a game past the second round and the guy is STILL one of the highest paid players in the game...not complaining about his salary, just saying his salary makes trades extremely difficult...and we sit around and talk about him like he is some HOF candidate, like he is Tim Duncan or something and we need to respect his wishes. What in the holy hell. He wants the trade now. Trade dude to whoever offers the best package.