Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

Where Should Conley Be Traded?

3 hours ago, Allen said:

Whoever gives the best picks and cap relief

Yup

20 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Conley deals....

1. Mike Conley for Timofey Movgov, Markelle Fultz, #16 pick (Orlando)

2. Mike Conley for Jeff Teague, Gorgui Dieng, #10 pick, 2020 1st (Minnesota)

3. Mike Conley for Derrick Favors, Kyle Korver, #23, 2020 1st (Utah)

4. Mike Conley for Reggie Jackson, Jon Leur, #15, 2020 1st (Detroit)

5. Mike Conley for Tyler Johnson, Josh Jackson, 2019 2nd Rounder, Milwaukee's 2020 1st (Phoenix)

Very realistic IMO. I think Utah will be first to come knocking.

Conley and Anderson to Phoenix for Johnson, Warren, and Jackson (assuming they don't get ja) would be probably our best haul. I'd be happy with that. Utah and Indiana would be mainly for cap relief and picks, but not sure that's really worth it. Boston could be interesting, assuming Hayward is healthy. It'll depend on how the draft goes for everyone. 

50 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

Two extremes. One thinks Conley for Gannis is fair deal. The other thinks Conley for Jon Leur. 

I'm just stating facts. I wouldn't take Mike Conley for LeBron James straight up right now. 

4 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I'm just stating facts. I wouldn't take Mike Conley for LeBron James straight up right now. 

This is true, but Paul George? Come on. 

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

Conley deals....

4. Mike COnley for Reggie Jackson, Jon Leur, #15, 2020 1st (Detroit)

5. Mike Conley for Tyler Johnson, Josh Jackson, 2019 2nd Rounder, Milwaukee's 2020 1st (Phoenix)

All horrible.

5 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

All horrible.

Do you get that teams wouldnt come off Luke Kennard or Dante Exum for Mike Conley? Those look realistic to me.

7 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Do you get that teams wouldnt come off Luke Kennard or Dante Exum for Mike Conley? Those look realistic to me.

Then it would be stupid to trade him.  If we're not getting anything of value just wait until the trade deadline.  Conley's contract may be too high, he may be on the wrong side of thirty, and he may have expressed a desire to be traded, but just trading him for scrubs, and/or low picks that will likely only be scrubs if they make it at all, is dumb.

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

Then it would be stupid to trade him.  If we're not getting anything of value just wait until the trade deadline.  Conley's contract may be too high, he may be on the wrong side of thirty, and he may have expressed a desire to be traded, but just trading him for scrubs, and/or low picks that will likely only be scrubs if they make it at all, is dumb.

I dont get this line of thinking. He doesnt want to be here. His value will only stay the same or go down and then he eventually leaves. Getting a first rounder is how you keep the train moving. You might not find an all world player but you can sure find a solid starter in the mid first round who will be there for many years. John Collins, Taurean Prince or a Caris Lavert type.

But personally I still think Hayward and a pick is the best you can do, then hope in a year his value is back up. He could be a highly coveted player if you can get his stats back to 18-20 ppg and you get a pick.

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

Yup

Very realistic IMO. I think Utah will be first to come knocking.

To make these offers realistic, the second FRP should be removed. No one gives us 2 FRPs for Mike. This is a hard reality. I’ve discussed this matter for quite a long time with fans of the above teams.

2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I dont get this line of thinking. He doesnt want to be here. His value will only stay the same or go down and then he eventually leaves. Getting a first rounder is how you keep the train moving. You might not find an all world player but you can sure find a solid starter in the mid first round who will be there for many years. John Collins, Taurean Prince or a Caris Lavert type.

But personally I still think Hayward and a pick is the best you can do, then hope in a year his value is back up. He could be a highly coveted player if you can get his stats back to 18-20 ppg and you get a pick.

You can find one... maybe.  What is the likelihood?  All those picks except one are non-lottery.  Deals 1, 3, and 4 are absolutely horrible.

How many of those players are any good?  Mozgov?!!  Leuer?!  150 years old Korver??  Overrated Reggie Jackson?  Injured Markelle Fultz?  That's what we can get for our all-time franchise scoring, assists, steals, and 3-pt leader after coming off his career best season?  Really??!!  The franchise would be far better off to let him retire a Grizz.

If you keep setting your baseline lower and lower for the quality of return you will accept in trade you will only guarantee getting robbed consistently in th future.

14 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

You can find one... maybe.  What is the likelihood?  All those picks except one are non-lottery.  Deals 1, 3, and 4 are absolutely horrible.

Deal #3 is essentially Conley for Favors and two 1st rounders. Korver is salary filler and likely waived. How is that a bad trade? Just prepare yoself because if Conley is traded Utah is likely the frontrunner;

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/03/jazz-grizzlies-could-revisit-conley-trade-talks-in-offseason.html

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Conley deals....

4. Mike COnley for Reggie Jackson, Jon Leur, #15, 2020 1st (Detroit)

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

All horrible.

Okay, X, I guess I'm tired and not being attentive enough in my reading.  I didn't realize you had two picks included in most of those.  That makes them more palatable.  I still don't see players that I'm interested in coming in return.

26 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

How many of those players are any good?  Mozgov?!!  Leuer?!  150 years old Korver??  Overrated Reggie Jackson?  Injured Markelle Fultz?  That's what we can get for our all-time franchise scoring, assists, steals, and 3-pt leader after coming off his career best season?  Really??!!  The franchise would be far better off to let him retire a Grizz.

If you keep setting your baseline lower and lower for the quality of return you will accept in trade you will only guarantee getting robbed consistently in th future.

Mike Conley is a 32 year old oft injured, non-Allstar making $30 million a year.  You act like we are trading some All NBA guy in his prime.  And no the franchise would not be better letting him retire as a Grizz because you don't know when he is going to retire.  The franchise would be better off recouping lost assets and moving forward with Jaren.

How many ways does Conley need to say he wants to be traded for fans to get it?

2 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

You sound real goofy.  Mie Conley is a 32 year old oft injured, non-Allstar making $30 million a year.  You act like we are trading some All NBA guy in his prime.  And no the franchise would not be better letting him retire as a Grizz because you don't know when he is going to retire.  The franchise would be better off recouping lost assets and moving forward with Jaren.

How many ways does Conley need to say he wants to be traded for fans to get it?

It's not about whether he wants to be traded or not.  It's about what's best for the franchise.  If all anyone offers is trash, just say "no thanks" and wait for a reasonable offer.  If he retired a Grizz he wouldn't be making $30M+ per season after this contract.  Look, don't get me wrong, I'm not KBM where I'm so attached to him that I can't stand to see him traded, but I'm not going to just give him away either.

I did not evaluate your proposals properly as I stated in the post prior to your last one, so I admit that horrible would be a less than accurate description.

10 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It's not about whether he wants to be traded or not.  It's about what's best for the franchise.  If all anyone offers is trash, just say "no thanks" and wait for a reasonable offer.  If he retired a Grizz he wouldn't be making $30M+ per season after this contract.  Look, don't get me wrong, I'm not KBM where I'm so attached to him that I can't stand to see him traded, but I'm not going to just give him away either.

I did not evaluate your proposals properly as I stated in the post prior to your last one, so I admit that horrible would be a less than accurate description.

You move him now for the best paxkage you can get because he has no future here, wants out and is gone in two years. You take a chance that whatever you get manifests into something of value. Anything else is just senseless.

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

You move him now for the best paxkage you can get because he has no future here, wants out and is gone in two years. You take a chance that whatever you get manifests into something of value. Anything else is just senseless.

It will probably happen like that.  That doesn't mean I agree with it.  Folks on these boards are always complaining if we let lesser players walk for nothing, yet they are perfectly fine with accepting crap for better players, especially when they have grown tired of them.

My opinion isn't worth much, but I'm kind of old fashioned and I really don't like this notion of players demanding trades until their team gives up and moves them.  I believe it's not good for the sport.  Not saying that's what's happening with Mike, I just hope it doesn't get there to that AD level.

21 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It will probably happen like that.  That doesn't mean I agree with it.  Folks on these boards are always complaining if we let lesser players walk for nothing, yet they are perfectly fine with accepting crap for better players, especially when they have grown tired of them.

My opinion isn't worth much, but I'm kind of old fashioned and I really don't like this notion of players demanding trades until their team gives up and moves them.  I believe it's not good for the sport.  Not saying that's what's happening with Mike, I just hope it doesn't get there to that AD level.

You keep calling all the packages "crap" but if you contact 29 teams over the course of a year and thats the best offer you can get...what does that say about what you are selling? 

44 minutes ago, Dwash said:

You keep calling all the packages "crap" but if you contact 29 teams over the course of a year and thats the best offer you can get...what does that say about what you are selling? 

Are you saying Mike is crap?  If so, I would have to disagree, and I think that it's more likely that teams would be trying to take advantage of the Grizzlies knowing that, as a very small market team in a less than glamorous location, we have fewer options and are therefore always desperate.

8 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Are you saying Mike is crap?  If so, I would have to disagree, and I think that it's more likely that teams would be trying to take advantage of the Grizzlies knowing that, as a very small market team in a less than glamorous location, we have fewer options and are therefore always desperate.

YOU called the packages crap. But think Mike is something that is so sacred and should only be moved for great players. Maybe should either reevaluate Mike's value or value of the packages being proposed.