Ole Dirty Klondike

Mike Alex Conley Jr. Will Be Traded to Utah

17 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

With hater on this. I wouldn't mind doing this. Really I only see Utah and Miami at this point as the front runners for him

If Miami give us their pick Bam + expiring im all for it. We save money get a guy to play with Jaren when we go big and get in a more confortable situation in the JV FA and we could still get a Rui Hachimura or Little with their pick. I want no parts of the Jazz. 

14 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Brooks played 82 games in his first season and had a significant role.  Yeah, I know it was a bad team decimated by injuries.  The next season the team brings in a slew of new players - Temple, Mack, Anderson -  and his opportunities/minutes were reduced.  It really looked to me like he was trying too hard when he did get on the floor, as if he wanted to make an impression on the coaching staff.  I think he has some decent ability, more than I remembered.  I had to watch the videos PAROI#GF posted over in the Realistic Expectations ... thread to remind me of what he can do.  If the coaching staff can get him to play under control and let the game come to him I think he could be a decent rotation player.

It took Brooks a few games to get going but when he did,  he was solid 

On 5/25/2019 at 11:27 PM, smit-tay griz said:

He had quite a few smart passes in the videos.  Of  course they are highlight videos.

I looked at his stats and he's a decent passer.

9 hours ago, Once_a_hater said:

If Miami give us their pick Bam + expiring im all for it. We save money get a guy to play with Jaren when we go big and get in a more confortable situation in the JV FA and we could still get a Rui Hachimura or Little with their pick. I want no parts of the Jazz. 

With you again on this topic Hater. 

Good thing Toronto won. Besides Marc going to the finals, had the Bucks won, it could have driven down Conley's trade value. The two headed point guard of Bledsoe/Hill was exposed for their inability to adapt after winning the first two games of that series. Had the Bucks won, more teams would have looked at getting two lesser point guards instead of one good point guard. Conley's trade value may not go up, but in this copy cat league it certainly would have gone down.

10 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Good thing Toronto won. Besides Marc going to the finals, had the Bucks won, it could have driven down Conley's trade value. The two headed point guard of Bledsoe/Hill was exposed for their inability to adapt after winning the first two games of that series. Had the Bucks won, more teams would have looked at getting two lesser point guards instead of one good point guard. Conley's trade value may not go up, but in this copy cat league it certainly would have gone down.

Does it matter that Bledsoe + Hill lost to  Lowry + VanVleet (183cm + 179cm)?

Mike should stay. The Grizzlies then should and more importantly are able  to compete next season. There are 4 (four!) guys easily (!) capable of going with +20 ppg every night.

4 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

Mike should stay. The Grizzlies then should and more importantly are able  to compete next season. There are 4 (four!) guys easily (!) capable of going with +20 ppg every night.

Only for a playoff spot maybe 

5 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

No way. 

14 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

Does it matter that Bledsoe + Hill lost to  Lowry + VanVleet (183cm + 179cm)?

Talking about money and minutes, not cm. Lowry is his team leader in minutes (34)per game and paycheck (31 mil). Bledsoe 29mpg and Hill 20mpg combine for 34 mil.

41 minutes ago, Allen said:

Only for a playoff spot maybe 

Competing is about goal, attitude, mental health and as a consequence - about J4`s development - much more than about our chances to win the title next year.

Another thing about Bucks losing - with Bledsoe's inability to shoot threes and MIL lack of another creator exposed, Mike's name seems to be thrown around a bit as someone Bucks could/should target in the offseason. Not sure if we can get a good package there as it would involve some salary dump going our way and their 1sts probably won't be anywhere near lottery, but having extra competition for Conley trade might help extracting extra value from some other team.

And yeah, I'm all in about competing next year - more of a „trying for a PO spot and developing a winning mentality“ type of competing, but if we get a decent haul for Mike, JJJ takes another step forward, we resign JV, Ja performs well - Grizz might just surprise everybody and get some playoff experience, which would be invaluable for J4.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why?

Conley has only scored 20 a game twice in his career. He can do it - but I’m not sure that’s the best version of this offense. 

I assume the other three players hinted at above are JJJ, Ja and JV. 

JJJ is not going to be a high level scorer next season. Maybe 15-16 a game. 

Ja will be a rookie PG. I have to imagine there are very few rookie PG’s in the history of the league to get to 20 a game. 

Expecting anything near 20 a game from JV is just comical. 

If we can't get back at least a mid first round pick I would be more likely to keep Conley and let other teams adjust to a Conley/Ja backcourt.  As long as we have a big/long/massive front line a "small ball" backcourt should be more of a positive than a negative.  

Why shouldn't we try to compete ASAP? If Ja/Jaren are our guys then we pretty much have our "core" and we probably won't have our pick next year anyway.

Yeah gimme some combination of KPJ/Little/Herro/Bol/Fernando/Windler/Samanic/Reddish/Thybulle in a Conley trade but that doesn't look like it is going to happen.  Might be hard pressed to get even ONE of those guys.  And I don't trust our FO making savvy second round picks.

I think mid/late first round picks are fairly valuable this year.  And it will probably be harder to trade for FUTURE first round picks.   

screw losing for years we got to compete now- get JJJ and Ja in the playoffs where they'll really grow as players. 

I have no desire to watch further rebuild- its already been two years. time to roll.

2 hours ago, guillermo said:

screw losing for years we got to compete now- get JJJ and Ja in the playoffs where they'll really grow as players. 

I have no desire to watch further rebuild- its already been two years. time to roll.

Life is too short. Collect assets, make smart moves, keep building, and always compete. Screw the losing on purpose game plan.

I think the reality of competing is being in the luxury tax for one year. After next year, Parsons comes off the books so it will make life a lot easier, but unless they waive and stretch him there's really no way we can compete under the luxury tax this year. 

11 hours ago, jtp0000 said:

Conley has only scored 20 a game twice in his career. He can do it - but I’m not sure that’s the best version of this offense. 

I assume the other three players hinted at above are JJJ, Ja and JV. 

JJJ is not going to be a high level scorer next season. Maybe 15-16 a game. 

Ja will be a rookie PG. I have to imagine there are very few rookie PG’s in the history of the league to get to 20 a game. 

Expecting anything near 20 a game from JV is just comical. 

JJJ can go 20 if he stays out of foul trouble and they feed him

JV and Ja you are 100% correct about. 

8 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Life is too short. Collect assets, make smart moves, keep building, and always compete. Screw the losing on purpose game plan.

Image result for i agree gif

Conley + J1`s backourt may arguably be in the top-5 in this league right now. 

J3 + Valanciunas`s frontcourt is in the top-3 in this league right now. No (I mean NO) frontcourt in this league is able to stop them.

Therefore, I find the Grizzlies is a pretty good position this season. 

the thought of trading mike before we see him and Ja together seems ridiculously short sighted especially considering the importance of ball handling and passing in todays game and the league's trend towards small ball.  We may be a run and gun force of nature next year with unmatched back court speed. 

and mike is really good off the ball. not like he NEEDS ball in his hands- he's just always been needed to do that.

only issue would be defensively- but they (Mike and Ja) could switch everything or go into a zone. 

1 hour ago, guillermo said:

the thought of trading mike before we see him and Ja together seems ridiculously short sighted especially considering the importance of ball handling and passing in todays game and the league's trend towards small ball.  We may be a run and gun force of nature next year with unmatched back court speed. 

and mike is really good off the ball. not like he NEEDS ball in his hands- he's just always been needed to do that.

only issue would be defensively- but they (Mike and Ja) could switch everything or go into a zone. 

g, while i do agree that they could be great together...i also can't look past the lack of collective size among them. 

playing them together at the 1 and 2 spots would potentially leave them very exposed from a defensive standpoint. perhaps it would not be that big of a deal, but delon w with one of them just seems like a much better fit on the court.

slim.

Back on Topic...

Let's look at a 3 Team Conley trades because we have done the 2 team trades to death.   

We know Miami is interested in trading for Conley and moving on from Dragic.   We know Utah is desp for a PG to pair with Donovan but have very little assets to offer.     https://heatnation.com/rumors/report-miami-heat-discussing-potential-trade-involving-goran-dragic-for-ricky-rubio-and-jae-crowder/   https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/05/18/rumor-miami-heat-will-target-mike-conley-in-trade/

MEM gets: Derrick Favors, #13, Utah 2020 pick, Dion Waiters/Kelly Olynk Derrick Jones Jr. 

UTA gets: Goran Dragic

MIA gets:  Conley/Bradley   MIA waives Bradley to save money. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

JV opts out/ Delon Resigns 

*Ja/Delon/Jevon/

Waiters/*Romeo/Miles

Kyle/Dillon/Jones Jr. 

Jaren/Bruno/Parsons

Favors/Olynk

I chose Waiters because we need perimeter scoring with Conley and Avery leaving.    Olynk provides floor spacing from Big position and Favors provides rebounding and low post scoring.  Both of them are also athletic enough to operate in a faster paced offense.  Jones Jr.  is the young prospect and we draft Langford as longterm solution at SG position.