Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

NBA Playoffs thread

4 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Harden bricked his three because he tried to get a foul call instead of just scoring. When is he gonna realize that regular season calls don't happen in the playoffs?

But he had several that shoulda been called today. 

Im convinced GSW loses this year too. Houston is showing how to defend them but they are missing Ariza.

5 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It's painful to watch this GSW Hou game.

Constant complaining, free throw shooting, and just players trying to draw fouls.

Yeh I was thinking the same thing. Harden's whole game is predicated on drawing junk fouls. I think the Rockets are in the Warriors heads with all the flopping and whatnot.

I've said this before but the current Rockets remind me of the Clippers team that our squad always faced (they featured Chris Paul also).

9 hours ago, GameOn said:

Watched both the Toronto/Philly and Denver/SA games last night.

Kawhi >>>>>>>> DeRozan. Toronto won that trade big time.

The way Marc played Embiid last night they might just have won that trade as well. Raps got him for exactly that type of matchup. As good as JV been for us no way he holds Embiid down to score a whopping 3 points only like Marc did.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:44 AM, Rdk4121 said:

I disagree to an extent. The best two teams in the east have very good Frontcourts. Bucks with Lopez and Giannis, Raptors with Siakam and Gasol/Ibaka. Now, neither of those teams only have just those two players, but they have other pieces around them that compliment them. It would be good if JJJ/JV are 2 of our top 4 players, like those two teams I mentioned, but you don't want them being your best two/only two. 

Yea JV/JJJ can't be our two best players if we hope to start competing in a year.    We will need a couple of perimeter creators.     I am starting to lean towards wanting JV to just pick up his option only.   I like the idea of having him around next season to help Jaren during his transition to team focal.    But i don't want him as longterm starter because he is primarily a scorer and i want the points shifted to perimeter player(s) and Jaren. 

I disagree with this line of thinking..  You want the most talented,  multifacted team you can put on the court.  I think Jonas gives you two winning keys:  rebounding and aggressive inside play.  The Grizzlies were much stronger on the boards and in the paint with Jonas and I think he's the perfect compliment to Jaren..

I'd like the Grizzlies to add another wings, scorers and shooters too  but not at the expense of becoming weak on the interior..  Again...

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It's painful to watch this GSW Hou game.

Constant complaining, free throw shooting, and just players trying to draw fouls.

4 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

Yeh I was thinking the same thing. Harden's whole game is predicated on drawing junk fouls. I think the Rockets are in the Warriors heads with all the flopping and whatnot.

I've said this before but the current Rockets remind me of the Clippers team that our squad always faced (they featured Chris Paul also).

Right . 

Both right.

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

But he had several that shoulda been called today. 

Im convinced GSW loses this year too. Houston is showing how to defend them but they are missing Ariza.

One of those, at least, Harden pushed off on the defender to get space for the step back three.

6 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

One of those, at least, Harden pushed off on the defender to get space for the step back three.

Harden regularly pushes off....he usually gets away with it though.  You know that bullspit, let the "superstars" get away with everything, deal the NBA promotes.

I hope the Warriors and Rockets beat the hell out of each other and the series goes 7 games.  Then I hope the Warriors advance and get smoked by the Blazers.

I'm not a Blazers fan, but I like the fact that CJ McCollum called out Durant for joining the Warriors because he couldn't beat them while on the Thunder.

2 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Harden regularly pushes off....he usually gets away with it though.  You know that bullspit, let the "superstars" get away with everything, deal the NBA promotes.

Yep.

I really need BOS, GSW, and Philly to all lose.     This will gives us the maximum of options this offseason for a Conley move.  Because all of those teams will be thrown into chaos if they exit early.  

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:20 AM, CarloJ63 said:

He carries and walks a lot also, never called.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Jokic is now the best offensive center in the game.

It's incredible how skilled he is; Nuggets are fun to watch.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Jokic is now the best offensive center in the game.

Let’s not forget Jokic has been defended by Poetl and Kanter.

Jokic is basically young Marc Gasol.   He is on a team that doesn't force him to be the primary scoring option.    Gasol has shut him down several times and he is prone to being unassertative on offense to detriment of his team.    Literally just a young Gasol.     But i do agree he is clearly a Top 5 Center.  

Gasol is not shooting enough for Toronto. He's averaging 6 shots a game which is pathetic when he's so wide open all the time. He should be shooting 6 threes a game alone. 

Gasol has somehow gotten more passive than before.

Jokic and Embiid doing work and getting it done (although Embiid was under the weather but did have a crucial crunch-time bucket).  Glad to see the center position is still holding on by a thread.  Marc needs to step up.  Definite X Factor, but the Raps might need him to be more of a go-to guy.  Although I never thought that was part of Marc's mentality/makeup.

If the playoffs have taught me anything, then having high octane back courts really, really matters (Steph/Klay, Harden/CP3, and Lillard/McCollum) with Jamal Murray being a big-time factor for Denver, and Kyrie Irving being THE GUY for Boston.  Centers/bigs matter: Jokic, Embiid, and even Draymond.   Freakish forwards matter too (Kawhi/Siakam for Toronto, Durant obviously for the Warriors), with Giannis being somewhere between a big time big or a freakish forward (probably both).  

Benches matter too, although playoff rotations shorten, shots get tougher, and scrubs become less reliable.

For us, we have the go-to guard in Conley, the prime-time big man in Jonas, cheap vet backup big man depth with Noah (if he resigns), plus a TRIO of freaky forwards: Jaren (who can also play the 5), Bruno (3 or 4), and Slo Mo (basically a point-whatever).  What we probably DO need (other than some extra shot blocking/bouncy cheap bigs off the bench) is more perimeter scoring ideally at the 2.  Avery Bradley/Justin Holiday are basically role players.  Delon/Jevon are basically just point guards.  Not yet sold on Dillon Brooks (low efficiency not explosive or long) and CJ Miles and Chandler Parsons ain't 2 guards.  

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Let’s not forget Jokic has been defended by Poetl and Kanter.

Kind of like when Delon Harris put up triple doubles against Trey Burke and Jalen Brunson...

Is it possible for neither the Warriors nor Rockets to advance? Can't stand either of them. I'm particularly sick of watching James Harden manipulate the rules to manufacture free throw attempts.

Getting to the point of being unwatchable.

Just now, GF#1 said:

Is it possible for neither the Warriors nor Rockets to advance? Can't stand either of them. I'm particularly sick of watching James Harden manipulate the rules to manufacture free throw attempts.

Warriors are insufferable and the Rockets are exhausting.  And, vice-versa.

Nuggets or Blazers in the Finals would be nice.  

Out East, I would be fairly happy with any of the four remaining teams.  Greek Freak is probably my favorite player remaining, with the Raptors/Sixers series being intriguing although it reminds me of old Grizzlies/playoff mashups (Marc Gasol/Kyle Lowry/Kawhi Leonard/Danny Green/Serge Ibaka.  Boston is playing great team ball.  Not the biggest fan of Embiid or Ben Simmons but Philly would be a breath of fresh air, too.

The NBA has never had a Raptors/Nuggets Finals, and neither team has even MADE the NBA Finals.  It wouldn't be great for ratings but it would be a really fun matchup.  Jokic vs. Marc would be super fun, too.

12 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

I enjoyed the Nuggets/Blazers game last night so much more than Game 1 of Warriors/Rockets; Ws and Rockets have some incredibly unlikable players.

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Delon/Jevon are basically just point guards

Sooo... you’re lumping Delon with Carter ?

really?

based on what exactly?

no snark ... seriously want to know how you got there... maybe I’m missing something cause to me Carter is ohhh sooo close to being the new Mack for me at least.

Just now, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Sooo... you’re lumping Delon with Carter ?

really?

based on what exactly?

no snark ... seriously want to know how you got there... maybe I’m missing something cause to me Carter is ohhh sooo close to being the new Mack for me at least.

If Conley is here, then they are backup point guards.  

Haha.  You don't like Jevon much huh?  I will have to see more and he REALLY needs to get that 3 ball going consistently, otherwise, yeah, he's gonna be a 3rd string point guard journey man.

What is Jevon's upside?  Probably a point guard TA UNLESS he can start hitting the 3 then he can be a Derek Fisher type.  BIG YEAR coming up for Jevon.  He needs to OWN summer league (at least on defense and handling the ball).  

Not sure what Delon Wright's upside is....  Solid/decent starting point guard.  One of the best if not THE best backup point guards. If he starts for us soon then we are gonna need an upgrade at the 2.  AB is a bit short, older, and more of a role player than an ace in the hole.

Both Delon/Jevon are basically limited to playing ONE position on offense (PG) although I think either guy can guard both guard spots.  Neither has a flair/genius for passing or shooting so each player has a ceiling.  Not sure they can bust through that.

I like Delon's size/length though.  I like Jevon's toughness.  I really don't like small/skinny guards -- especially ones that can't defend and/or score efficiently.