Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

NBA Playoffs thread

As per nba.com, Kevin Durant is expected to be in the starting lineup tonight. Too little too late? He's going to be somewhat rusty, but who knows what could happen!

3 minutes ago, GameOn said:

As per nba.com, Kevin Durant is expected to be in the starting lineup tonight. Too little too late? He's going to be somewhat rusty, but who knows what could happen!

Raps need to win tonight because the Warriors are a whole lot more likely to get healthier the longer this goes on.

Lose tonight and try to win the last game ever at Oracle seems like a tough call, especially since Durant and Klay will have more time to get healthy.

Go to a game 7 after blowing a 3-1 lead sounds like a good chance to bring out all the past Raptors playoff failings and have them shown over and over, plus God forbid we have to keep hearing all the "Never underestimate the heart of a champion" stuff about Golden State.

16 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

That's my point above on 2021 and beyond.  The return on Conley needs to be substantial because any decent FA wants to see a team winning.  That's most likely not happening from mid or late first round picks.  

Ja and JJJ by themselves aren't going to attract free agents so keep as many good pieces around them as possible

I like the mid first round picks this year but my favorite guys are moving up. This draft looks fairly deep if you need complementary wing players or big men (rotation/role players).   A complementary wing and an extra big man on the cheap could help out in any Conley trade on draft night.   

That should be our return for Conley -- minimum.  Or vets/20/22/cash/future 1st from Boston.  

Just now, Grizzled Vet said:

Raps need to win tonight because the Warriors are a whole lot more likely to get healthier the longer this goes on.

Lose tonight and try to win the last game ever at Oracle seems like a tough call, especially since Durant and Klay will have more time to get healthy.

Go to a game 7 after blowing a 3-1 lead sounds like a good chance to bring out all the past Raptors playoff failings and have them shown over and over, plus God forbid we have to keep hearing all the "Never underestimate the heart of a champion" stuff about Golden State.

I think the St. Louis Blues are gonna monopolize the "title round jinx" this year. 

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

I like the mid first round picks this year but my favorite guys are moving up. This draft looks fairly deep if you need complementary wing players or big men (rotation/role players).   A complementary wing and an extra big man on the cheap could help out in any Conley trade on draft night.   

That should be our return for Conley -- minimum.  Or vets/20/22/cash/future 1st from Boston.  

Lots of draft picks look good, until they play against other men in the NBA.  Even the good 2009 draft has very few guys from 10 on that I would want to count on.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Toronto tried to stay as good as possible as long as possible until an opportunity presented itself.

A lot of Grizzlies fans would have traded anybody on the roster for getting Kawhi (or any top 5/10 player), but a whole lot more would have been calling for the outright shipping out of DeRozan and Lowry after the last 5 years of playoff failures.  In other words, a whole lot of fans on here would have traded DeRozan for a young player with potential (Dante Exum or Rodney Hood) and a couple first rounders two years ago and wouldn't have even had the opportunity to trade for Kawhi.

There would have been a whole lot of "Get something for them now because this team can't win it" and "We're tired of just making the playoffs and it's time to start over! (TANK! TANK! TANK!)"  "Get a couple mid-first rounders for Lowry because this team will never get over the hump!".  

If anything, the retention of Conley and JV would more align with Toronto's strategy.  Keep them, until an opportunity opens up. Without knowing what a player could get in a trade, the most talented lineup the Grizzlies could put out there for 19-20 is 

Conley/Wright/ (Dorsey)

Morant/Bradley/Brooks

KA/Parsons/Miles/Holiday

JJJ/Bruno/Rabb

JV/Noah

The debate is whether that is the best roster for 2021 and beyond.

👍🏼👍🏼

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think the St. Louis Blues are gonna monopolize the "title round jinx" this year. 

Yeah, the Blues blew it last night. What a buzz kill. They had 100K people in their "Jurassic Park". Same atmosphere as it is in Toronto tonight. So, now it's "game 7 in Boston" - a phrase that strikes fear into the hearts of all Leafs' fans!!!

10 minutes ago, GameOn said:

Yeah, the Blues blew it last night. What a buzz kill. They had 100K people in their "Jurassic Park". Same atmosphere as it is in Toronto tonight. So, now it's "game 7 in Boston" - a phrase that strikes fear into the hearts of all Leafs' fans!!!

I was just talking to a co-worker about this today.  The Leafs also had a 3-2 lead on Boston and lost game 6 at home.  I don't want Boston to win.

Durant down again and if that's it for him this series the Raps got it in the bag.

Bad news for the league is that they showed they need him...so he might stay.

5 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Conley/Wright/ (Dorsey)

Morant/Bradley/Brooks

KA/Parsons/Miles/Holiday

JJJ/Bruno/Rabb

JV/Noah

The debate is whether that is the best roster for 2021 and beyond.

Not trying to nitpick but I keep seeing folks listing Ja as the 2 guard in this scenario. Mike would play that role a lot more than Morant. 

Ja has no experience playing off ball and is the much better distributor.

1 hour ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Not trying to nitpick but I keep seeing folks listing Ja as the 2 guard in this scenario. Mike would play that role a lot more than Morant. 

That's true, but old habits are hard to break and putting MC down first is habit

1 hour ago, memphis slim said:

yep. it’s a blown Achilles. 

awful. 

slim. 

Man... hate that had to happen...

everybody on earth knows what he had to go through just to get back on the court ... 

to see him go down again.. ugh.

the cheering was kinda low / no class ...(still won’t hold it against them though...fans / fanatics aren’t too shy to shoot off at the mouth without thinking - caught up in the moment... I’m sure when their emotions settled down they were truly ,as we all are shocked stuck on disbelief .

nahhh , not kd not the same leg ...the leg that we all knew was not ready yet the he Manned up and went out there. Fully aware of his condition and he suited up anyway. He was mentally prepared to play through the physical pain just as long as he could control his limbs.

Never been much of a kd fan ... I am now.

This does kinda make me wonder - who (really) has the players best interest at heart when making the play / no play decisions?

Last season Kawhi made it known that he was not ready ... he sat out WITH HIS OWN CREW OF DOCTORS- clearly  the ones they assigned him were not on the same page ...he assembled a team of medical experts and he and got it together , now he’s back - on another team balling outta his mind.

maybe he knew somthings last season and took his own time to get his body back to where it need to be for a championship ride.

Boogie, Klay, Looney , and KD - May have felt some type of pressure to try to get back out there knowing they were not ready and knowing the risks they were taking by trying to gut it out. 

As a man - I get it ... sports have a lot of chest thumping alpha male type thing going... but we NEED medical staff that has the weight of the entire franchise backing them up . Make a real call . Yes limited minutes . Or no minutes .

MY CALL - IM RESPONSIBLE AND ACCOUNTABLE. SIT DOWN OVER HERE WITH ME FOR A QUICK STRETCH AND PAIN EVALUATION.

TELL ME THE TRUTH AND I WILL ADD MORE RECCOMENDATION. JUST KNOW - ITS JUST A GAME.A GAME YOU LOVE MORE THAN MNAY OF US.YOU HAVE PROVED YOUR HEART ...MANY MANY TIMES.WE ALL see THE same thing : in basketball WHOLE WORLD KNOWS you are THAT dude..

HERES YOUR CHQNC TO SIT BACK BREATHE, MEDITATE A LILBIT..

Really awful. Hopefully the Warriors do right by him and offer him a full max regardless of his injury prognosis.

Toronto will remember this game if they lose the series.  When Kawhi put them up 103 - 97, I think they relaxed and thought it was over. 

And since Kawhi had just scored their last 12 points, they just went down the court, gave him the ball and got out of the way.  In other words the rest of the team stopped playing.

So Golden State just doubled and triple teamed him and took the ball out of his hands on that last play.

You can't relax against the champs.

8 hours ago, CoolHandGriz said:

A pair of small guards also would leave issues for any larger PG or SG's that they need to cover.

If Durant's injury is indeed a torn achilles and the Warriors forced him to come back, if I'm Durant, I'm looking for the Warriors to compensate me for the lost payday. He was 3 weeks away from FA. I've been going back and forth with people all series and I held firm, there's no way I would come back if i was Durant because he's 3 weeks away from FA. You have to look out for #1. These teams always look out for #1. Screw all of this tough crap i have no idea how risking a devastating injury right before a humongous payday is looked at as being tough. He could have had an entire offseason to recover if he didn't play in this series. 

Oh and all of those Raptors fans cheering his injury shows just how classless a lot of these "fans" can be. I'm not even a KD fan and I think he's been a total jerk since being on GS but cheering an injury is just disgusting. 

5 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

If Durant's injury is indeed a torn achilles and the Warriors forced him to come back, if I'm Durant, I'm looking for the Warriors to compensate me for the lost payday. He was 3 weeks away from FA. I've been going back and forth with people all series and I held firm, there's no way I would come back if i was Durant because he's 3 weeks away from FA. You have to look out for #1. These teams always look out for #1. Screw all of this tough crap i have no idea how risking a devastating injury right before a humongous payday is looked at as being tough. He could have had an entire offseason to recover if he didn't play in this series. 

Oh and all of those Raptors fans cheering his injury shows just how classless a lot of these "fans" can be. I'm not even a KD fan and I think he's been a total jerk since being on GS but cheering an injury is just disgusting. 

They couldn't "force" him to come back.  He had to agree to it.  What could they possibly do to force him?  Someone talked him into it probably.

Agree about the fans.

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

They couldn't "force" him to come back.  He had to agree to it.  What could they possibly do to force him?  Someone talked him into it probably.

Agree about the fans.

Teams put undue pressure on these players all of the time. Two names that come to mind are Penny Hardaway in Orlando and Kawhi Leonard in San Antonio. There's a reason why Leonard forced a trade and refused to play. They're injuries were mishandled by their teams.

Teams have all types of political leverage and psychological games that they play with these players. People need to realize that when a doctor says someone is cleared to play, that doesn't necessarily mean that player is 100%. It's an educated guess that the probability that they can return  and play is high enough for them to clear them. They've looked at some images and said well it's structurally sound enough to return and did some functional/strength tests. That doesn't mean you might not re-injure yourself right away. They can't predict that. Rest is the best medicine sometimes but if a doctor cleared them you can best believe those teams are putting pressure on that player to be out on the court, especially during the Finals. if he would have sat out and they lost, there would have been all types of blowback from the media and everywhere else and probably leaks from the GS organization about him being soft. 

I'll just leave it with this quote from the teary press conference from the Warriors GM:

"He was cleared to play tonight," Myers said. "That was a collaborative decision. I don't believe there's anybody to blame, but I understand in this world and if you have to, you can blame me. I run our basketball operations department.