Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

NBA Playoffs thread

8 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It was a pretty good article with insight from Grizzlies coaches Hollins through Fizdale.

It appears they all have good relationship with him and think fondly of him now.

Yeh pretty interesting to read about the coaching interactions.

4 hours ago, lions said:

I thought marc had a meeting with mr pera and ask him for a trade ,I may be wrong but that's what I thought I read 

Think other way around - Pera met with both Gasol and Conley to inform them the team was changing directions and they’d be engaged in trade talks for both of them. 

5 hours ago, lions said:

I thought marc had a meeting with mr pera and ask him for a trade ,I may be wrong but that's what I thought I read 

Fake news.

Warriors ain't winning another game without Klay. And, lets be real, they probably ain't winning this series without Durant either. The Raps are too good of a team they'll finish this if Durant doesn't play, all they need to do is split. But even if they go on to lose the series Masai already pulled off massive wins on both the Kawhi n Marc trades. The city is electric, it's never been like this before in previous runs. Banners, ads, promos everywhere, people in Raps gear everywhere everyday. Each win has lead into another franchise-defining moment it's been amazing. I hope one day the city of both Memphis and Vancouver get to experience what's happening here.

Kawhi is a SUPERSTAR!!!!

You want to win a title, get you one. PERIOD!!!!

All this other nonsense about style of play for the "new" NBA, or trust the process, or any of that is just for marketing.

Get you a top 5 player (or player with the potential to be) in the league and build your team around him.

Or do what Toronto did, and collect as many above average to very good players as you can and when the opportunity presents itself you sell out for the superstar to take you to the top.

A lot of Grizz fans would have been against trading an All-star caliber player who is a long time franchise stalwart like Derozan for a one year rental of Kawhi. Toronto took the shot and is now a game away from a title.

2 minutes ago, trayhezy said:

Kawhi is a SUPERSTAR!!!!

All this other nonsense about style of play for the "new" NBA, or trust the process, or any of that is just for marketing.

Get you a top 5 player (or player with the potential to be) in the league and build your team around him.

Or do what Toronto did, and collect as many above average to very good players as you can and when the opportunity presents itself you sell out for the superstar to take you to the top.

A lot of Grizz fans would have been against trading an All-star caliber player who is a long time franchise stalwart like Derozan for a one year rental of Kawhi. Toronto took the shot and is now a game away from a title.

Toronto has Masai Ujiri. 

We have accountants and lawyers. 

9 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

Toronto has Masai Ujiri. 

We have accountants and lawyers. 

I agree but there are some good basketball minds in that front office, Tayshun, Grunwald, Cho.

Problem is we have drafted SOOOO bad that we ended up trying to backfill with G-league players. That has to change.

You think Kawhi has a chip on his shoulder because of the last time he played the Warriors in the playoffs?

That was the Conference Finals where the Spurs we're beating the Warriors by 20 when Pachulia slid under Kawhi and injured him in Game 1.  He didn't play again and the Spurs blew the big lead and got swept.

18 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

You think Kawhi has a chip on his shoulder because of the last time he played the Warriors in the playoffs?

That was the Conference Finals where the Spurs we're beating the Warriors by 20 when Pachulia slid under Kawhi and injured him in Game 1.  He didn't play again and the Spurs blew the big lead and got swept.

Good point, I'm sure you're right.

But Pop would be feeling bluesy right about now though

if the warriors DIDNOT has anyone  HURT in this series the Raptor may have won ONE game, put I,m happy for marc

4 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

im not...aint like he is going to big the trophy down beal streat.

happy for marc , may put more pressure on Memphis ownership there good player leave and win championship 

4 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

im not...aint like he is going to big the trophy down beal streat.

50 more posts to that magic 2000

really hoping that the raptors can hang on and finish this thing.

im worried of a patriots super bowl come back vs falcons.

slim.

46 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

really hoping that the raptors can hang on and finish this thing.

im worried of a patriots super bowl come back vs falcons.

slim.

Yeah, me too.  I don't hate Golden State or anything, but I'm tired of seeing the same team at the top.  The only dynasty I want to see is a Memphis Grizzlies dynasty.  It would be good to see Marc and Kyle get a ring, though it would sting a little that it's not with the Grizzlies.

I want Toronto to win just to show that you don’t go into rebuild mode because you think Golden State or whoever will rule for whatever amount of years. You never know how things will shake out-plan to win.

25 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I want Toronto to win just to show that you don’t go into rebuild mode because you think Golden State or whoever will rule for whatever amount of years. You never know how things will shake out-plan to win.

Exactly.  Too many fans want to throw in the towel too quickly.

40 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

13 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Exactly.  Too many fans want to throw in the towel too quickly.

Too late guys.  Mike is literally the last man standing from the last playoff team.   We are full on in rebuild mode - purely based on roster standpoint. 

What i and (maybe you guys as well) don't want is for the team to intentionally tank anymore.     Toronto is gonna win a ring with a roster that was basically piecemealed together versus a mostly homegrown dynasty.    What these shows me is that there are many ways to skin a cat.   But the one constant is that Top 10 players make it much more feasible.   How one obtains the player is up to the team (Kawhi traded for; Steph drafted).  

15 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Too late guys.  Mike is literally the last man standing from the last playoff team.   We are full on in rebuild mode - purely based on roster standpoint. 

What i and (maybe you guys as well) don't want is for the team to intentionally tank anymore.     Toronto is gonna win a ring with a roster that was basically piecemealed together versus a mostly homegrown dynasty.    What these shows me is that there are many ways to skin a cat.   But the one constant is that Top 10 players make it much more feasible.   How one obtains the player is up to the team (Kawhi traded for; Steph drafted).  

You dont have to "tank", but you shouldnt be tying your team up in useless long term deals middle aged mediocre vets like the Heat did with James Johnson, Dion Waiters, Kelly Olynk in a weak attempt to stay "good." Gorgiu Dieng and Jeff Teague for the Wolves. Remember those all looked decent when they signed. Pursue youth as the foundation, but your vets should be on short deals to keep you afloat.

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

You dont have to "tank", but you shouldnt be tying your team up in useless long term deals middle aged mediocre vets like the Heat did with James Johnson, Dion Waiters, Kelly Olynk in a weak attempt to stay "good." Gorgiu Dieng and Jeff Teague for the Wolves. Remember those all looked decent when they signed. Pursue youth as the foundation, but your vets should be on short deals to keep you afloat.

Agreed.   Only long-term signings we have should be with guys that fit age-wise in Ja-Jaren window.     Trading with Miami fits your analogy because getting Waiters, Olynk or Johnson would be only for 2yrs more (like a short term deal).    Getting Winslow, Bam plus 13th pick would basically complete the rebuild in one off season. 

5 hours ago, Dwash said:

5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Agreed.   Only long-term signings we have should be with guys that fit age-wise in Ja-Jaren window.     Trading with Miami fits your analogy because getting Waiters, Olynk or Johnson would be only for 2yrs more (like a short term deal).    Getting Winslow, Bam plus 13th pick would basically complete the rebuild in one off season. 

We are a trade and a big FA sign away from completing the rebuilding.

If we get Bam + #13 (Rui Hachimura or Nassir Little) + a top FA in 2021 (Jaylen Brown) we will be almost done. The main core for a championship run will be there, with a big 3 and solid starting 5.

Thats why I believe keeping JV, Delon, SlowMo, Dillon, Carter, Yuta, Caboclo, Noah and even Holiday makes sense if the price is right and for the right amount of years.

It is just a matter to sign those roles players and draft the right complement late in the 1st.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:46 PM, trayhezy said:

Kawhi is a SUPERSTAR!!!!

Toronto tried to stay as good as possible as long as possible until an opportunity presented itself.

A lot of Grizzlies fans would have traded anybody on the roster for getting Kawhi (or any top 5/10 player), but a whole lot more would have been calling for the outright shipping out of DeRozan and Lowry after the last 5 years of playoff failures.  In other words, a whole lot of fans on here would have traded DeRozan for a young player with potential (Dante Exum or Rodney Hood) and a couple first rounders two years ago and wouldn't have even had the opportunity to trade for Kawhi.

There would have been a whole lot of "Get something for them now because this team can't win it" and "We're tired of just making the playoffs and it's time to start over! (TANK! TANK! TANK!)"  "Get a couple mid-first rounders for Lowry because this team will never get over the hump!".  

If anything, the retention of Conley and JV would more align with Toronto's strategy.  Keep them, until an opportunity opens up. Without knowing what a player could get in a trade, the most talented lineup the Grizzlies could put out there for 19-20 is 

Conley/Wright/ (Dorsey)

Morant/Bradley/Brooks

KA/Parsons/Miles/Holiday

JJJ/Bruno/Rabb

JV/Noah

The debate is whether that is the best roster for 2021 and beyond.

Just now, Grizzled Vet said:

Toronto tried to stay as good as possible as long as possible until an opportunity presented itself.

A lot of Grizzlies fans would have traded anybody on the roster for getting Kawhi (or any top 5/10 player), but a whole lot more would have been calling for the outright shipping out of DeRozan and Lowry after the last 5 years of playoff failures.  In other words, a whole lot of fans on here would have traded DeRozan for a young player with potential (Dante Exum or Rodney Hood) and a couple first rounders two years ago and wouldn't have even had the opportunity to trade for Kawhi.

There would have been a whole lot of "Get something for them now because this team can't win it" and "We're tired of just making the playoffs and it's time to start over! (TANK! TANK! TANK!)"  "Get a couple mid-first rounders for Lowry because this team will never get over the hump!".  

If anything, the retention of Conley and JV would more align with Toronto's strategy.  Keep them, until an opportunity opens up. Without knowing what a player could get in a trade, the most talented lineup the Grizzlies could put out there for 19-20 is 

Conley/Wright/ (Dorsey)

Morant/Bradley/Brooks

KA/Parsons/Miles/Holiday

JJJ/Bruno/Rabb

JV/Noah

The debate is whether that is the best roster for 2021 and beyond.

If you believe the best strategy is to kee

This would depend on how well Conley ages.  Conley optimists hope he ages like John Stockton -- which would obviously be good for us.  

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

This would depend on how well Conley ages.  Conley optimists hope he ages like John Stockton -- which would obviously be good for us.  

That's my point above on 2021 and beyond.  The return on Conley needs to be substantial because any decent FA wants to see a team winning.  That's most likely not happening from mid or late first round picks.  

Ja and JJJ by themselves aren't going to attract free agents so keep as many good pieces around them as possible