GameOn

Put on your GM hat and pick the next Grizzlies HC

If you were GM, who would you pick as the Grizzlies next HC? I will kick off the discussion with my choice, Sarunas Jasikevicius. Here is some info I gathered (from 2018 - around the time that Masai Ujiri, the Raptors GM, flew to Europe to interview him for HC of the Raptors):

Sarunas Jasikevicius has successfully made the leap from a legendary playing career in Europe to the head coaching ranks with Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania.

Here’s what you need to know about the Raptors’ latest head coaching candidate:

Name: Sarunas Jasikevicius
Hometown: Kaunas, Lithuania
NBA coaching experience: None

Rising star

A four-time EuroLeague champion, three-time Greek League champion, two-time Spanish and Israeli league champion, as well as Slovenian Cup, Turkish Cup, and Lithuanian league champ, Jasikevicius was no stranger to winning in his playing days.

After retiring from Lithuanian league powerhouse Zalgiris Kaunas in 2014, the six-foot-four point guard became an assistant coach with the club the following season. In 2016 he took over as head coach for Zalgiris and the team has won two Lithuanian league titles in as many years with Jasikevicius at the helm.

Jasikevicius was named Lithuania’s Coach of the Year in the 2017 and finished third in EuroLeague voting for the award.

This past season, he coached Zalgiris to a 22-14 record in the EuroLeague and the team reached the final four for the first time since 1999.

Given all he’s accomplished in just two full seasons of coaching it’s no wonder NBA teams like Toronto are already seriously considering fast-tracking Jasikevicius to an NBA head coaching job.

Raptors & NBA connection

Although he’s only coached in Europe, where he also spent the majority of his playing career, Jasikevicius is very familiar with the North American game.

For starters, he played high school basketball in the United States, moving from his home country to play his senior year at Solanco High School in Pennsylvania. He played point guard at Maryland for four years.

He would eventually play in the NBA, signing a free agent deal with the Indiana Pacers in 2005. As a 29 year-old rookie, Jasikevicius played 75 games for the playoff-bound Pacers. He spent two more years in the league before returning to Europe.

The Raptors ties don’t end there with the prospective coach. The most obvious connection is between Jasikevicius and fellow Lithuanian Jonas Valanciunas, the Raptors centre who is coming off his best season yet.

Having played together on the Lithuanian national team, Jasikevicius has had a first-hand look at the 26 year-old’s development and, with the exception of maybe Nurse, would have the strongest relationship with him as any coaching candidate thus far. The two were also teammates on Lietuvos rytas in 2010, the year before Valanciunas made his NBA debut.

Storied career

A gifted passer and highly effective floor general, Jasikevicius raked in awards at virtually every stage and stop during a 16-year professional career.

He’s won four EuroLeague titles, been named MVP in four different leagues, EuroLeague Finals MVP in 2005, All-Europe Player of the Year twice (2004, 2005), and in 2003 was named FIBA EuroBasket MVP after leading Lithuania to gold — among many more accolades.

Long story short, Jasikevicius is one of the all-time greats in European basketball, with the resume to back it up.

As a young and talented ex-player and coach, with excellent credentials, I think he could be just what the Grizzlies need to breathe new life into the franchise. He has accomplished a "culture of winning" throughout his career and can help build that culture in the Grizzlies organization. He should be interviewed asap. 

chris Wallace he put this roster together lets see  if he made the right moves 

The Grizzlies should get a Lithuanian popcorn dispenser and dog walker as well. 

I heard those really gets the job done. 

59 minutes ago, lions said:

Might as well.  We’re already paying him.

I have to idea I like old  time coaches who teaches  the game but to day N.B.A is going young and cheap 

I still believe L.HOLLINS would be a great move but i.m a no body to the n,b,a 

I'm ok with Jackson 

4 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I'm ok with Jackson 

who phil

Just now, lions said:

who phil

No. He's been done for a long time. 

Honestly I don't know much about the new GM/Pres so I have no idea what he would be looking for

4 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

who the next HC be they are going to be experienced...i think Pera is tired of experimenting

L HOLLINS Memphis roots and Memphis 56-26 wcf team great teacher of the game 

4 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

No. He's been done for a long time. 

Honestly I don't know much about the new GM/Pres so I have no idea what he would be looking for

you been on this grizzlies board for a while so you should know your basketball 

4 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

The Grizzlies should get a Lithuanian popcorn dispenser and dog walker as well. 

I heard those really gets the job done. 

Sarunas Jasikevicius has winning credentials, which is why he got interviewed by Toronto. It wouldn't hurt the Grizzlies to at least talk to this guy.

3 hours ago, lions said:

I have to idea I like old  time coaches who teaches  the game but to day N.B.A is going young and cheap 

Sarunas Jasikevicius is not an "old time coach", but he is getting RESULTS.

I can't name 5 coaches in the NBA. Ok, not true. But... still.  

Even when I think of potential "retread" coaches they are like 70.

The top three guys that are running the Grizzlies are Pera, Wexler, and Kleiman. With their wealth of basketball knowledge they will probably choose...

•  

13 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

who the next HC be they are going to be experienced...i think Pera is tired of experimenting

I think he tries to save money by going the way of inexperienced coaches.

No coach is going to succeed here if the team given to him, or her, is constantly dealing with injuries and a rotating cast of characters.

No established vet nor young up and coming guy is going to want to coach here

21 minutes ago, Allen said:

That may change if we get a top 2 pick. JJJ paired with Zion or Ja would be pretty enticing...

16 hours ago, lions said:

Actually the roster has been put together mostly by Makris and Prince. Only Conley and Parsons have Wallace’s direct thumbprint. 

Maybe Jevon Carter too since he has the West Virginia connection. Makris and Prince took over the draft process two years ago and the player moves this year. The surprise announcement had already taken place. 

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Maybe not an established vet, but why not an up and coming young guy? For a young guy it would be an opportunity to break into the ranks of being an NBA coach. In a few years, if he was good enough and doesn't want to stay in Memphis, he would now have options to be a HC anywhere in the NBA.

2 hours ago, Allen said:

There are only 30 NBA HC jobs, period.     Vet coaches may be hesitant without a longer contract but up and comers would jump at the chance.