GameOn

Put on your GM hat and pick the next Grizzlies HC

6 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

How about KCJones, Tommy Heinsohn, Lenny Wilkins, Lionel Hollins, Bill Russell, Pat Riley, Red Holzman,  Phil Jackson, you want more? 

Comment
1536.jpg?width=853&height=450

The Utah Jazz announced Wednesday that Hall of Famer Karl Malone will join the franchise's coaching staff in some capacity to help mentor the team's big men. Earlier in the week, one of Malone's former teammates, Jeff Hornacek, was hired as the new head coach of the Phoenix Suns.

Hornacek, previously an assistant in Utah, and Malone are part of a long list of former players turned coaches.

According to a study done by researchers at Cornell University and the University of Warwick in the United Kingdom, former basketball players who had long careers, or were selected as All-Stars, had statistically higher winning percentages as head coaches.

"Having a former All-Star player as your coach is worth about six extra places in the NBA rankings in team winning percentage," said Larry Kahn, a professor of labor economics and collective bargaining at Cornell’s ILR School. "We were surprised at the strength of the statistical evidence."

Using data from 15,000 basketball games between 1996 and 2004, researchers found that teams coached by former NBA All-Stars had an average winning percentage of .495, while coaches who were not All-Stars had an average winning percentage of .376.

Okay.  Statistics to back it up.  You convinced me.  

I think JB did better job as coach than Pera has done as owner

JB had random G league lineups playing hard and fast and being competitive- mike has his best season

once moody slow Marc was gone the team 's style of play was really fun to watch

hope new coach can get that kind of effort from the guys

JB sucked as a coach.    Who cares if the players like him or not.    He handled Jaren and Marc poorly.   Did you all forget how he refused to close games with Jaren??   Purposely didn't create plays for him on offense?    Jaren performed in spite of JB.  Did ya'll forget how he misused SloMo?? Had him playing mainly offball and as a SPOT UP SHOOTER?!?!?    JB barely played Noah till he had no choice.     

I am pretty sure FO fired him mainly because of how poorly he was developing Jaren not just his record with a bunch of G League guys.       Those guys didn't play hard for JB they were all playing hard to get a contract.    

Dude sucked as a coach - we rarely scored out of timeouts.   Wexler and Kleiman specifically said they want a good X's and O's coach going forward.   Why do ya'll think they mentioned that specifically???

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

JB sucked as a coach.    Who cares if the players like him or not.    He handled Jaren and Marc poorly.   Did you all forget how he refused to close games with Jaren??   Purposely didn't create plays for him on offense?    Jaren performed in spite of JB.  Did ya'll forget how he misused SloMo?? Had him playing mainly offball and as a SPOT UP SHOOTER?!?!?    JB barely played Noah till he had no choice.     

I am pretty sure FO fired him mainly because of how poorly he was developing Jaren not just his record with a bunch of G League guys.       Those guys didn't play hard for JB they were all playing hard to get a contract.    

Dude sucked as a coach - we rarely scored out of timeouts.   Wexler and Kleiman specifically said they want a good X's and O's coach going forward.   Why do ya'll think they mentioned that specifically???

Alot people just forgot that he play temple 35 minutes a night even though he was awful ...that and sitting JJJ for Green was just awful decision making.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Why are you being so vague? Tell us how you really feel. 

the best grizzlies all have been  veteran coaches  HUBIE BROWN. MIKE FRATELLO, LIONAL HOLLINS  it doesnot take a ROCKET SCIENICE 

2 hours ago, lions said:

the best grizzlies all have been  veteran coaches  HUBIE BROWN. MIKE FRATELLO, LIONAL HOLLINS  it doesnot take a ROCKET SCIENICE 

You forgot Dave Joerger, though he was just a veteran assistant.  He was a rookie when he got the HC job.

Well the new guys in charge want their own guy, so there’s that...but JB started 12-5 and then went into a tailspin. The record might’ve been fool’s gold, but I don’t believe we were as bad as the losing streak that followed indicated. Too many games where we came out flat in the third, and of course the collection of collapses didn’t help matters.

I thought the team dynamics improved considerably after MG left, but maybe it was too late at that point.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

You forgot Dave Joerger, though he was just a veteran assistant.  He was a rookie when he got the HC job.

Joerger was also the only one to win a title as a head coach. 

Getting back to my lack of faith in the Pera - Wexler - Kleiman trifecta, I looked into the 16 playoff teams and who they had listed as their chief executives/G.M.'s. Of those 16 teams, 14 have what I refer to as "basketball guys", at least former college players that had other front office experience, former NBA players and one scout turned executive. 

The two that were not "basketball guys" were Daryl Morey of Houston (who is a quasi-basketball guy). He's super analytical and was before getting hired there. The other is Neil Olshey of the Blazers, who is a former actor. Blazers are over the luxury tax, other than that, I really don't know much about how well Olshey has done. 

I would have more faith if they named Prince the G.M., because Kleiman seems to be just a younger Wexler, seeming redundant to me. This Pera - lawyer - lawyer thing just looks worse now.

8 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

dave joerger took over a pretty good grizzlies team those other coaches took over bad grizzlies teams 

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

Getting back to my lack of faith in the Pera - Wexler - Kleiman trifecta, I looked into the 16 playoff teams and who they had listed as their chief executives/G.M.'s. Of those 16 teams, 14 have what I refer to as "basketball guys", at least former college players that had other front office experience, former NBA players and one scout turned executive. 

The two that were not "basketball guys" were Daryl Morey of Houston (who is a quasi-basketball guy). He's super analytical and was before getting hired there. The other is Neil Olshey of the Blazers, who is a former actor. Blazers are over the luxury tax, other than that, I really don't know much about how well Olshey has done. 

I would have more faith if they named Prince the G.M., because Kleiman seems to be just a younger Wexler, seeming redundant to me. This Pera - lawyer - lawyer thing just looks worse now.

Olshey started as like an intern/assistant coach or something with the clippers before eventually becoming GM with LAC. Portland is his 2nd front office job. 

We have to trust that there's enough real basketball guys in the front office to listen to.

2 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Olshey started as like an intern/assistant coach or something with the clippers before eventually becoming GM with LAC. Portland is his 2nd front office job. 

We have to trust that there's enough real basketball guys in the front office to listen to.

IIWII 'trust': Account hijacked! 

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Joerger was also the only one to win a title as a head coach. 

Hubie won a title in the ABA (Kentucky Colonels).  He said it was the best team he ever coached.

19 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Totally agree; People forget easily how he stick with the same rotation before ASG. And he only make some movex  after only when he do not have choice because of injuries. 

3 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Hubie won a title in the ABA (Kentucky Colonels).  He said it was the best team he ever coached.

Thank you. I didn’t remember that.

Just now, smit-tay griz said:

I know you're old enough, memory starting to fail you, buddy?😃

I wouldn’t say starting...😞

On 4/16/2019 at 9:54 AM, costarica2 said:

Alot people just forgot that he play temple 35 minutes a night even though he was awful ...that and sitting JJJ for Green was just awful decision making.

And it seems like you forgot than 3J couldn't stay out of foul trouble.