GameOn

Put on your GM hat and pick the next Grizzlies HC

Take a step back first and put your VP of basketball operations hat on and pick a GM.    Word is don't be surprised if Rich Cho has a significant role in Front Office.   He has a prior relationship with Kleiman and tons of experience as a GM.    I am indifferent i just want a guy with actual tangible real world NBA Front Office experience.  I would like to see another ex NBA player in a Front Office role too.   Tayshaun is a good start but i would like to have one more. 

After they are in place then we can talk about Coaches.  

48 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Take a step back first and put your VP of basketball operations hat on and pick a GM.    Word is don't be surprised if Rich Cho has a significant role in Front Office.   He has a prior relationship with Kleiman and tons of experience as a GM.    I am indifferent i just want a guy with actual tangible real world NBA Front Office experience.  I would like to see another ex NBA player in a Front Office role too.   Tayshaun is a good start but i would like to have one more. 

After they are in place then we can talk about Coaches.  

I'd be happy if Rich Cho got involved in our front office. 

18 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I'd be happy if Rich Cho got involved in our front office. 

Why? He didn't exactly do anything to write home about while in Charlotte (2011 - 2018).

6 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Why? He didn't exactly do anything to write home about while in Charlotte (2011 - 2018).

His experience and success in handling trades and free agent signings for the OKC Thunder makes him a very good #2 type of person in the front office. He failed in his first attempt at being a GM but I'm sure he learned from those mistakes and will be better his second time around. His knowledge of the CBA would be helpful as well.  

I think Cho is good as a #2 guy. Maybe it's the Peter Principle again (something I complained about with Chris Wallace). If Cho accepts the Asst. GM role he should be an asset for Kleiman as a 30 year old GM. 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

His experience and success in handling trades and free agent signings for the OKC Thunder makes him a very good #2 type of person in the front office. He failed in his first attempt at being a GM but I'm sure he learned from those mistakes and will be better his second time around. His knowledge of the CBA would be helpful as well.  

Thats how i see him too.  Kleiman is really going to be the GM figure. So i want experienced smart guys around him.  Kleiman + Makris + Prince + Cho as the actual bball people would be fine.

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Thats how i see him too.  Kleiman is really going to be the GM figure. So i want experienced smart guys around him.  Kleiman + Makris + Prince + Cho as the actual bball people would be fine.

Oh dear. We are starting to agree again. That's never a good sign. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

So it's Pera, Wexler, Kleiman and experienced smart guys to fix the first three's screwups? That's a F.O. destined for failure. 

12 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

So it's Pera, Wexler, Kleiman and experienced smart guys to fix the first three's screwups? That's a F.O. destined for failure. 

Wexler has never been on the basketball side previously. Pera only recently felt comfortable enough to challenge the recommendations coming from the Front Office but was involved in the Gasol trade. Kleiman assumed some responsibilities this past season and outside of the screw up with the Oubre trade has done well. I don't see the predestined failure being predicted here. 

This is addition by subtraction as far as the previous administration. Wallace and Hollinger were not helping in the front office. How many years of draft failures preceeded the last two somewhat successful drafts? Have the Grizzlies won any trades between acquiring Marc Gasol and trading away Marc Gasol? Those years of dark drafts and poor trades have caught up to the team. 

But I have been very impressed with the last two drafts and the roster moves this past year. I am encouraged by what the future holds. 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I Forgot to put a question mark. My bad in that regard but what this was my question after you made the remark that " didn't he (Pera)  own it (The Grizzlies) when Wallace was doing all those other bad trades?"

So what bad trades were you referring to? 

I don't know, maybe the Jeff Green trade? Maybe the Holiday trade? Maybe the Marshon trade? Seems like everyone else thinks they were bad trades. The signing of Marshon.

25 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Wexler has never been on the basketball side previously. Pera only recently felt comfortable enough to challenge the recommendations coming from the Front Office but was involved in the Gasol trade. Kleiman assumed some responsibilities this past season and outside of the screw up with the Oubre trade has done well. I don't see the predestined failure being predicted here. 

This is addition by subtraction as far as the previous administration. Wallace and Hollinger were not helping in the front office. How many years of draft failures preceeded the last two somewhat successful drafts? Have the Grizzlies won any trades between acquiring Marc Gasol and trading away Marc Gasol? Those years of dark drafts and poor trades have caught up to the team. 

But I have been very impressed with the last two drafts and the roster moves this past year. I am encouraged by what the future holds. 

I'm not so hip on Dillon. I am also encouraged by what the future holds for the Grizz.

Just now, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I'm not so hip on Dillon. I am also encouraged by what the future holds for the Grizz.

I don't see Dillon as a future star or anything but as a mid-second round pick he's pretty darn good. 

18 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I don't know, maybe the Jeff Green trade? Maybe the Holiday trade? Maybe the Marshon trade? Seems like everyone else thinks they were bad trades. The signing of Marshon.

Okay. Let's deal with this one at a time. The Jeff Green trade was horrible in hindsight and really at the time. I don't know anyone who was really high on that trade made quite a few years ago but still haunting the team. Definitely one of Chris Wallace's worst moves. 

The Holiday trade didn't look as bad at the end of the season as it did at the time it was made. Holiday 33.3% from the arc as a Grizzlies playing over 29 MPG. Holiday shot 47% from the field and the arc in April. He shot 36% from the arc after the all-star break while averaging 10.6 PPG. The team gave up two 2nd round picks and two players who didn't come close to playing that much for the Grizzlies. I don't call that a horrible trade. People (myself included) are hoping the Grizzlies pass onto Boston their first round pick this year so it seems silly to complain about a second round pick in the same draft. Selden and Marshaun Brooks were not going to be that productive for the Grizzlies. I can't call that a horrible trade. 

The Marshaun trade is the same as the Holiday trade or are you talking about the blown trade for Kelly Oubre? The lack of communication in the Grizzlies front office caused those problems. The people who were half the problem have been fired. That should be encouraging. 

Marshaun Brooks being signed wasn't a terrible thing after his fantastic close to the previous season. NOT signing him would have had people up in arms.  

I believe Dillon has already proven himself to be a better than average second round pick even if he never plays again. It seems some people have over-inflated opinions of second round picks around here. Most never get a second season with the team that drafted them. 

3 hours ago, GameOn said:

He has played in the NBA. From my post:

For starters, he played high school basketball in the United States, moving from his home country to play his senior year at Solanco High School in Pennsylvania. He played point guard at Maryland for four years.

He would eventually play in the NBA, signing a free agent deal with the Indiana Pacers in 2005. As a 29 year-old rookie, Jasikevicius played 75 games for the playoff-bound Pacers. He spent two more years in the league before returning to Europe.

That's not nearly as much experience as I would like in the NBA, I wouldn't mind having McHale. 

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Okay. Let's deal with this one at a time. The Jeff Green trade was horrible in hindsight and really at the time. I don't know anyone who was really high on that trade made quite a few years ago but still haunting the team. Definitely one of Chris Wallace's worst moves. 

The Holiday trade didn't look as bad at the end of the season as it did at the time it was made. Holiday 33.3% from the arc as a Grizzlies playing over 29 MPG. Holiday shot 47% from the field and the arc in April. He shot 36% from the arc after the all-star break while averaging 10.6 PPG. The team gave up two 2nd round picks and two players who didn't come close to playing that much for the Grizzlies. I don't call that a horrible trade. People (myself included) are hoping the Grizzlies pass onto Boston their first round pick this year so it seems silly to complain about a second round pick in the same draft. Selden and Marshaun Brooks were not going to be that productive for the Grizzlies. I can't call that a horrible trade. 

The Marshaun trade is the same as the Holiday trade or are you talking about the blown trade for Kelly Oubre? The lack of communication in the Grizzlies front office caused those problems. The people who were half the problem have been fired. That should be encouraging. 

Marshaun Brooks being signed wasn't a terrible thing after his fantastic close to the previous season. NOT signing him would have had people up in arms.  

I believe Dillon has already proven himself to be a better than average second round pick even if he never plays again. It seems some people have over-inflated opinions of second round picks around here. Most never get a second season with the team that drafted them. 

I don't know if the Jeff Green trade was horrible or not, didn't it keep the Grizz in the POs? He didn't live up to my expections because he had a lot of physical ability but he had never been a take charge guy.

I don't think the Holiday trade was a fiasco, he's seems to be getting better and better to me and he plays good D.

When I looked back at Marshon, he was 1 of the few guys who could get his own shot and he was shooting pretty good. I think this is 1 of the guys JB messed up with. When I have more time I will go through his stats again. 

Dillon seems to have the attitude that he can take over a game, I don't think he can. Later

Just now, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I don't know if the Jeff Green trade was horrible or not, didn't it keep the Grizz in the POs? He didn't live up to my expections because he had a lot of physical ability but he had never been a take charge guy.

I don't think the Holiday trade was a fiasco, he's seems to be getting better and better to me and he plays good D.

When I looked back at Marshon, he was 1 of the few guys who could get his own shot and he was shooting pretty good. I think this is 1 of the guys JB messed up with. When I have more time I will go through his stats again. 

Dillon seems to have the attitude that he can take over a game, I don't think he can. Later

You mentioned those trades as examples of what you called our front office's mistakes. 

31 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You can't bring up these moves as mistakes and then defend them and say they weren't that bad. This is an epic flip-flop. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Wexler is second in command, and you point out what I am getting at; "Wexler has never been on the basketball side previously". The top three decision makers are not basketball guys. A very common phrase that is often overlooked is "This is a good roster on paper", or along those lines. We hear this all the time when talking about under performing teams. Why do talented rosters sometimes under perform? Usually personalities that clash or plain ol' knuckleheads. This is when true basketball guys pay off. They recognize the stuff we don't have stats for. We all can pick out good performing players by glancing at stats. We truly don't know if they are locker room cancers or knuckleheads until it is too late. Pera, Wexler, and Kleiman. I'm sure that they can pick excellent players based on stats. Most of the posters here can as well. Successful basketball teams need to have basketball people that have real sway in the decision making process. Besides, who the heck is this Kleiman guy anyway? His qualifications look like he is nothing more than a Wexler mini-me.

We need a basketball guy among the top three decision makers or else it will just be two guys nodding in agreement to Pera.

6 hours ago, Trybanski Time said:

samuel

its good to see your back with our grizzlies board family I haven.t see you or your posts lately , I do like that Memphis grizzlies throw  back jersey you are displaying 

29 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Wexler is second in command, and you point out what I am getting at; "Wexler has never been on the basketball side previously". The top three decision makers are not basketball guys. A very common phrase that is often overlooked is "This is a good roster on paper", or along those lines. We hear this all the time when talking about under performing teams. Why do talented rosters sometimes under perform? Usually personalities that clash or plain ol' knuckleheads. This is when true basketball guys pay off. They recognize the stuff we don't have stats for. We all can pick out good performing players by glancing at stats. We truly don't know if they are locker room cancers or knuckleheads until it is too late. Pera, Wexler, and Kleiman. I'm sure that they can pick excellent players based on stats. Most of the posters here can as well. Successful basketball teams need to have basketball people that have real sway in the decision making process. Besides, who the heck is this Kleiman guy anyway? His qualifications look like he is nothing more than a Wexler mini-me.

We need a basketball guy among the top three decision makers or else it will just be two guys nodding in agreement to Pera.

Depends on what you call basketball guys. Pera is a basketball fanatic. Wexler is admitedly new to the basketball side. Kleiman has been with the team for years and was Asst GM to Wallace. I struggle to say he doesn't have basketball experience. Makris and Prince are very involved in all basketball decisions (probably more than Kleiman and Wexler is what I hear) and are very much basketball guys. 

Sometimes you have to accept that what is being shown up front is not what is going on behind the scenes. Prince and Makris don't like the limelight but you shouldn't underestimate their involvement in the process.  

7 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

That's not nearly as much experience as I would like in the NBA, I wouldn't mind having McHale. 

What's the big deal about playing experience?  How many games did the following coaches play in the NBA - Red Auerbach, Hubie Brown, Chuck Daly, Bill Fitch, Greg Popovich, Jack Ramsay?  Yeah, zero.

Being a player in the league is not necessary to be a good coach.  Coaching and playing are two totally different talents.

7 hours ago, Father Pat said:

How has that worked out for Charlotte with Michael Jordan?

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

What's the big deal about playing experience?  How many games did the following coaches play in the NBA - Red Auerbach, Hubie Brown, Chuck Daly, Bill Fitch, Greg Popovich, Jack Ramsay?  Yeah, zero.

Being a player in the league is not necessary to be a good coach.  Coaching and playing are two totally different talents.

How about KCJones, Tommy Heinsohn, Lenny Wilkins, Lionel Hollins, Bill Russell, Pat Riley, Red Holzman,  Phil Jackson, you want more? 

Comment
1536.jpg?width=853&height=450

The Utah Jazz announced Wednesday that Hall of Famer Karl Malone will join the franchise's coaching staff in some capacity to help mentor the team's big men. Earlier in the week, one of Malone's former teammates, Jeff Hornacek, was hired as the new head coach of the Phoenix Suns.

Hornacek, previously an assistant in Utah, and Malone are part of a long list of former players turned coaches.

According to a study done by researchers at Cornell University and the University of Warwick in the United Kingdom, former basketball players who had long careers, or were selected as All-Stars, had statistically higher winning percentages as head coaches.

"Having a former All-Star player as your coach is worth about six extra places in the NBA rankings in team winning percentage," said Larry Kahn, a professor of labor economics and collective bargaining at Cornell’s ILR School. "We were surprised at the strength of the statistical evidence."

Using data from 15,000 basketball games between 1996 and 2004, researchers found that teams coached by former NBA All-Stars had an average winning percentage of .495, while coaches who were not All-Stars had an average winning percentage of .376.

We just watched the best team in the world blow a 31 point lead to the Clippers, but is anyone wanting to fire Steve Kerr?    JB wasn't great but he had THIS team (including G league players) playing hard for him.  I hope another assistant coach can do better...