GameOn

Put on your GM hat and pick the next Grizzlies HC

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Because everyone knows that quick rash decisions always turn out better than those that are carefully planned.

Sorry smit-tay that I'm hitting you again, but the whole "carefully planned" thing has me laughing my butt off.

So, speaking of "carefully planned", I couldn't help but to remember being at the game where former comish Stern introduced Pera as the new owner. Pera had many months to prepare for that night. Stern hands him the mic near mid court. Pera takes the mic, leans into it just a little and says "uh, ...go Grizzlies." Stern takes back the mic with a -What The French toast- look and says "That's it?"

Good old "carefully planned" from day one.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:37 AM, Joey Crawford dijo:

Maybe.    I would want Brevin Knight, in a combination with him, with either Brevin as the head coach, and sarunas as the assistant - or the other way around... because Brevin is with the grizzlies' organization, a former point guard to help Ja Morant, and sarunas to mesh with JV..

Saras (his nick name) is not interested in assistant roles, he refused them all so far. He is unlikely going to be the HC too. His main requirement is full control on the team; choose new players, play style etc. I don't think that the club is going to risk.

6 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

My uninformed opinion is that there's too many cooks in the kitchen. It's good to have a lot of smart people in the room but there's got to be one guy with the final say and from everything that's been reported, we don't got that.

Not having a coach before the draft would be a dereliction of duty.

Exactly.  Committees don't work.  I heard a saying once that a camel was a horse designed by a committee.

You need one guy to have the final word...and that one guy should know his stuff.

Because if you try to appease everyone in the room, you may end up with everyone's 3rd or 4th choice.

6 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

This. 

There's nothing that says Memphis is planning this out smartly. We are the only head coaching job available, they don't have to wait for anything. The only reason to wait is if you're waiting for someone in the finals to finish but that doesn't make sense because those coaches require money and we don't pay head coaches anything. Also we've seen asst coaches get head coaching positions prior to the season ending like Gentry and Walton.

My uninformed opinion is that there's too many cooks in the kitchen. It's good to have a lot of smart people in the room but there's got to be one guy with the final say and from everything that's been reported, we don't got that.

Not having a coach before the draft would be a dereliction of duty.

Explain...

I 100% disagree.  I don't think the coach should have any say in major personnel decisions.  I know it sounds weird but honestly, coaches come and go in the NBA.  The organization should set the tone for player acquisitions, style of play and other things and the coach should adjust accordingly.  Also, the organization needs to hire a coach that can fulfill their vision not vice versa.  I think most mistakes that have been made with players here have been in trying to please a coaches wants.  

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

Explain...

I 100% disagree.  I don't think the coach should have any say in major personnel decisions.  I know it sounds weird but honestly, coaches come and go in the NBA.  The organization should set the tone for player acquisitions, style of play and other things and the coach should adjust accordingly.  Also, the organization needs to hire a coach that can fulfill their vision not vice versa.  I think most mistakes that have been made with players here have been in trying to please a coaches wants.  

I agree with that tho. it would be a total fail to not have a coach before the draft. has that happened ever in the major sports or specifically basketball or football? it shows incompentence especially if you've had over two months to figure it out. how would it look on draft day if we wanna go get Ja and we don't even have a coach to welcome him to the team when they call him to tell him he's the pick or when the introduce him at the press conference, again, after you've had two months to figure it out. if you were a prospect, would you wanna come to a team without a coach? especially if you're suppose to be a "franchise savior"? with that being said, they have to have a coach by the end of this week if we don't wanna be a laughing stock around the league. its would be a HORRIBLE look to not have a coach. I wonder what the convo was like with Ja meeting with us yesterday. Nevertheless, I think we will hire a guy by Friday. earlier if the Raptors close it out tonight.

I think Saras is the lead to be the head guy and those assistants we interviewed are likely to come here to be the lead guy if they weren't already the lead assistant with their current team. I don't think there's anyway they let a foreign coach come over and bring his staff to help develop our players too much of a potential culture clash. if he is the guy, they are gonna pick his assistants for him.

8 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Sorry smit-tay that I'm hitting you again, but the whole "carefully planned" thing has me laughing my butt off.

So, speaking of "carefully planned", I couldn't help but to remember being at the game where former comish Stern introduced Pera as the new owner. Pera had many months to prepare for that night. Stern hands him the mic near mid court. Pera takes the mic, leans into it just a little and says "uh, ...go Grizzlies." Stern takes back the mic with a -What The French toast- look and says "That's it?"

Good old "carefully planned" from day one.

:lol:  Don't complain.  Some people talk way too much.

47 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

I agree with that tho. it would be a total fail to not have a coach before the draft. has that happened ever in the major sports or specifically basketball or football? it shows incompentence especially if you've had over two months to figure it out. how would it look on draft day if we wanna go get Ja and we don't even have a coach to welcome him to the team when they call him to tell him he's the pick or when the introduce him at the press conference, again, after you've had two months to figure it out. if you were a prospect, would you wanna come to a team without a coach? especially if you're suppose to be a "franchise savior"? with that being said, they have to have a coach by the end of this week if we don't wanna be a laughing stock around the league. its would be a HORRIBLE look to not have a coach. I wonder what the convo was like with Ja meeting with us yesterday. Nevertheless, I think we will hire a guy by Friday. earlier if the Raptors close it out tonight.

I think Saras is the lead to be the head guy and those assistants we interviewed are likely to come here to be the lead guy if they weren't already the lead assistant with their current team. I don't think there's anyway they let a foreign coach come over and bring his staff to help develop our players too much of a potential culture clash. if he is the guy, they are gonna pick his assistants for him.

Well, you had a coach when Jaren was drafted. How important was that in the end?

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Explain...

This makes absolute sense to me. Maybe you make an exception for someone like Pops, but who else currently do you do that for. Player’s league and more times than not, the owner will choose them over the coach when the blame game comes around.

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Well, you had a coach when Jaren was drafted. How important was that in the end?

its just the optics of it tho. it just doesn't look good. don't look at how it turned out and let that influence you to be ok with half assness. you are suppose to have a coach to welcome in your rookie.  jb getting fired at the end of the season has nothing to do with him being there when JJJ got drafted.

23 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

lol at brevin knight. it's one thing to sit on the sidelines and announce this or that should be what we are doing and then actually having to go out and game plan for a team.

head coaches are utterly consumed with the minutest details of the game and literally have boodshot eyes. Nothing brevin says is revolutionary.

you think that when brevin is head coach he's going to feed jaren 25 shots a game, lol. Get real. That ain't happening.  

"it's one thing to sit on the sidelines and announce this or that should be what we are doing and then actually having to go out and game plan for a team."   -  WHAT !"  👨‍👨‍👦

"head coaches are utterly consumed with the minutest details of the game and literally have boodshot eyes."   - WHAT ! 👨‍👨‍👦

"Get real. That ain't happening. "   - WHAT ! 👨‍👨‍👦

Okay then.... my choice number 2 is......   "Joey Crawford"       JOEY !  JOEY !   JOEY ! 🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️

I rest my case, until next post.   😊

IMO a good one got away:

Shams Charania: Spurs assistant coach Ettore Messina has agreed on a deal to run basketball operations and become the new head coach of Olimpia Milano,sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Messina has been a lead assistant on Gregg Popovich’s staff since 2014.

Maybe we found our HC and he is part of the Raptors or Warriors? Would assume that would mean communication wouldn’t happen until finals are over?

22 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

Maybe we found our HC and he is part of the Raptors or Warriors? Would assume that would mean communication wouldn’t happen until finals are over?

nah, many have thought this, but that's not true. coaches can be hired while they are with their current team. monty Williams was hired to be the Phoenix coach while he was still the assistant coach of the 76ers this year.

7 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

nah, many have thought this, but that's not true. coaches can be hired while they are with their current team. monty Williams was hired to be the Phoenix coach while he was still the assistant coach of the 76ers this year.

You can't even discuss it with them without the other team's permission.  The Sixers gave permission.

1 hour ago, First Team All Memphis said:

Exactly. If a deal had been reached we would know about it 

24 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Do we close this thread or keep it open for the NEXT coach?

NBA coaches are hired to be fired.

I was JUST thinking the same thing !

🤣💨

22 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I was JUST thinking the same thing !

🤣💨

What we are probably gonna do is hype up Coach Jenkins WAAAY too much then he can't live up to the hype, then we start a COACH JENKINS ON THE HOT SEAT thread.

Could Mike Conley be a future head coach of the Grizzlies once he retires?

7 hours ago, BeckyHammon4HC said:

Could Mike Conley be a future head coach of the Grizzlies once he retires?

NO, I don,t think mike  would have any interest 

7 minutes ago, BeckyHammon4HC said:

What about Gary Payton or John Stockton?

Jenkins will be our coach for the next 15 years and win multiple championships with Jaren and Ja

12 hours ago, VikingWarrior said:

Gentry and Walton were hired during the Playoffs while at GS. So it's not Collins.

Honestly, the hire is gonna someone that hasn't been mentioned.

That's the only thing I can come up with. I can't believe a team would wait two **** months just to hire a rookie assistant.