GameOn

Put on your GM hat and pick the next Grizzlies HC

11 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

They were going to fire him after the season regardless of what he said. That's just a convenient thing to point to after the fact. Hollins was not "their" guy and they didn't care a thing about gng. Anybody that says otherwise is just not remembering correctly. 

Speaking of "not remembering correctly," Hollins was never fired. 

its been to long. the grizzlies know who the next coach will be 

I find surprising why it take so long to make a decision and hire a coach. Some player, like JV are waiting to see who will be the HC as this is an important part of the team.

Just hope you do not have a bad surprise with JV because our front office too slow to do their job.

i hate to think of it this way, but I hope they aren't waiting JV out until next Thursday before they announce the new coach. I doubt it, but it did cross my mind. man, holding on to mike at least until the 2020 trade deadline, finding away to bring back avery Bradley and the rest of the starting 5 being Anderson, Jackson, and JV would make any coach happy. Let guys like Wright and Holiday walk, and all of a sudden with the rest of the team, you have a nice mix of vets and young guys. you could compete for a playoff spot while rebuilding at the same time. if the playoff push isn't working by the deadline, like I said, move mike then and let Ja take the reigns. sign ab and jv to short deals so they can walk to if the rebuild needs to be amped up past this year. I hope the front office see's how feasible this could be.

that's four guys in the starting line up that average over 15 ppg and two that average close to if not 20 ppg. winning formula in my book. and oh, yeah an electrifying pg and shooters would would be coming strong off the bench.

7 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Did we discuss this yet? https://static.nytimes.com/email-content/MSB_13965.html

"The Memphis Grizzlies, meanwhile, are the only team still actively looking for a new head coach — with the Grizzlies said to be considering a new bench model in which at least one assistant coach holds a dual title that includes some personnel responsibilities."

definitely would explain why its taking so long. ive thought all along that maybe the team is gonna pick the new coach's assistant coach or coaches. with this dual role stuff, it makes sense its taking so long in regards to coaches wanting to do that and filling out a bench that can accommodate that.

ive also got a feeling that one of these assistant coaches is gonna come here and get hired as the lead assistant coach/ this new personnel duties role..  guys like taylor Jenkins and tibbets may no be the lead assistants on their own staffs. darvin ham is also a coaching candidate for the bucks and vanderpool is one for the trailblazers as well. for what its worth, I think the overseas coach is gonna come here and be the assistant.. or, at least, I wouldn't be surprised.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:06 AM, chipc3 said:

When you have a spat with your boss you discuss it and move on. When you have repeated public spats in the media and you don't have a contract you get fired. 

As you've pointed out before, technically he wasn't fired, he was just not given a contract.

I also don't remember a lot of public spats in the media regarding the FO.  I remember the strong disagreement on moving on from Rudy Gay champagne quote, but I really don't remember much else.

I've heard later he disagreed about bringing in Iverson and drafting Thabeet, but I don't recall anything he said public about it.

On 6/5/2019 at 10:03 AM, First Team All Memphis said:

i hate to think of it this way, but I hope they aren't waiting JV out until next Thursday before they announce the new coach. I doubt it, but it did cross my mind. man, holding on to mike at least until the 2020 trade deadline, finding away to bring back avery Bradley and the rest of the starting 5 being Anderson, Jackson, and JV would make any coach happy. Let guys like Wright and Holiday walk, and all of a sudden with the rest of the team, you have a nice mix of vets and young guys. you could compete for a playoff spot while rebuilding at the same time. if the playoff push isn't working by the deadline, like I said, move mike then and let Ja take the reigns. sign ab and jv to short deals so they can walk to if the rebuild needs to be amped up past this year. I hope the front office see's how feasible this could be.

that's four guys in the starting line up that average over 15 ppg and two that average close to if not 20 ppg. winning formula in my book. and oh, yeah an electrifying pg and shooters would would be coming strong off the bench.

I don't disagree with any of this excluding letting Delon walk vs bring Bradley back. But to the main point, I don't understand why everyone feels we have to trade Mike before the season begins, aside from the possibility of getting a pick in this year's draft. Not to mention that it's possible trading him at the deadline for a pick will be more valuable next year than a pick will be this year. We don't HAVE to trade Mike. I don't want to. All that said, we really need to sign JV and Delon Wright. Bradley would be nice but he's too rich if we're going to bring back Wright/JV.

At this point, I'm wondering if they are just waiting on a current assistant with the GSW or Raps.

Not sure who that would be at this point.  Maybe Nate Bjorkgren for Raps, or more likely a Mike Brown or Jarron Collins?

But in the end, how much does it matter?  The coach will probably be gone in 2 years or less.

8 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

I don't disagree with any of this excluding letting Delon walk vs bring Bradley back. But to the main point, I don't understand why everyone feels we have to trade Mike before the season begins, aside from the possibility of getting a pick in this year's draft. Not to mention that it's possible trading him at the deadline for a pick will be more valuable next year than a pick will be this year. We don't HAVE to trade Mike. I don't want to. All that said, we really need to sign JV and Delon Wright. Bradley would be nice but he's too rich if we're going to bring back Wright/JV.

the reason I say bring back ab and let delon go is because, do you really think we are gonna have 4 pg's on the roster assuming we don't trade mike? if we draft ja, he's the back up pg from day one and I don't see delon getting minutes at the 2. if you really wanna get technical, ab is a better player than wright. if we keep mike and draft ja, that makes wright expendable.

as for the coaching search, I would not be surprised if they take the Lakers' approach when we finally hire a coach in that, they are gonna hire a head guy but 1 or maybe 2 of the assistants interviewed for the head job might end up being the top assistants on this staff. it would be similar to how the lakers interviewed kidd and Hollins for the head job before bringing them on as assistants.

For what it's worth they gave Taylor Jenkins a 2nd interview. Haven't heard them doing that with anyone else.

Anyone hoping for Vanterpool can cross him off the list, signed with the Wolves as an assistant. Good thing since we haven't done well with coaches named David lately!

20 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

As you've pointed out before, technically he wasn't fired, he was just not given a contract.

I also don't remember a lot of public spats in the media regarding the FO.  I remember the strong disagreement on moving on from Rudy Gay champagne quote, but I really don't remember much else.

I've heard later he disagreed about bringing in Iverson and drafting Thabeet, but I don't recall anything he said public about it.

You are correct. That was a poor choice of words on my part. I should have said that if you don’t have a contract and you disagree with your boss publicly you can’t expect to me be offered a new deal. 

The spats were on the radio starting before the Rudy Gay champagne comment and progressively getting worse u til the end when he was on the radio saying the front office wanted him to be involved with the player acquisition process and he saying he didn’t want to do that. It was the front office’s job to get the players and his job to coach them. 

the Memphis grizzlies next new H,C will be sarunas jasikevicius  he is from Lithuania the same place Jonas valanciunas comes from 

13 hours ago, lions said:

the Memphis grizzlies next new H,C will be sarunas jasikevicius  he is from Lithuania the same place Jonas valanciunas comes from 

Maybe.    I would want Brevin Knight, in a combination with him, with either Brevin as the head coach, and sarunas as the assistant - or the other way around... because Brevin is with the grizzlies' organization, a former point guard to help Ja Morant, and sarunas to mesh with JV..

20 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

The coaching search has become an utter embarrassment, Lakers level incompetence just in a small market

You're either a troll or slow. There is nothing about waiting that is either embarrassing or something that  shows incompetence. For all we know the coach we're selecting is currently in the NBA Finals. This is a big decision for this new front office, and exercising some patience, rather than appeasing ridiculous fans by making quick decisions for no reasons, is the smart move. 

21 hours ago, Joey Crawford said:

Maybe.    I would want Brevin Knight, in a combination with him, with either Brevin as the head coach, and sarunas as the assistant - or the other way around... because Brevin is with the grizzlies' organization, a former point guard to help Ja Morant, and sarunas to mesh with JV..

lol at brevin knight. it's one thing to sit on the sidelines and announce this or that should be what we are doing and then actually having to go out and game plan for a team.

head coaches are utterly consumed with the minutest details of the game and literally have boodshot eyes. Nothing brevin says is revolutionary.

you think that when brevin is head coach he's going to feed jaren 25 shots a game, lol. Get real. That ain't happening.  

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

The coaching search has become an utter embarrassment, Lakers level incompetence just in a small market

Because everyone knows that quick rash decisions always turn out better than those that are carefully planned.

54 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Because everyone knows that quick rash decisions always turn out better than those that are carefully planned.

Just because the F.O. is slow, does not mean in any way that their H.C. search is "carefully planned".  We've had Levien, maybe Wallace, probably not, maybe Wallace, probably not, maybe Wallace, probably not..... and finally Wexler & Kleiman supposedly running things.

The time of giving Pera the benefit of doubt has long passed.

9 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Just because the F.O. is slow, does not mean in any way that their H.C. search is "carefully planned".  We've had Levien, maybe Wallace, probably not, maybe Wallace, probably not, maybe Wallace, probably not..... and finally Wexler & Kleiman supposedly running things.

The time of giving Pera the benefit of doubt has long passed.

This. 

There's nothing that says Memphis is planning this out smartly. We are the only head coaching job available, they don't have to wait for anything. The only reason to wait is if you're waiting for someone in the finals to finish but that doesn't make sense because those coaches require money and we don't pay head coaches anything. Also we've seen asst coaches get head coaching positions prior to the season ending like Gentry and Walton.

My uninformed opinion is that there's too many cooks in the kitchen. It's good to have a lot of smart people in the room but there's got to be one guy with the final say and from everything that's been reported, we don't got that.

Not having a coach before the draft would be a dereliction of duty.