GameOn

Put on your GM hat and pick the next Grizzlies HC

Can we just pick one of these assistants and move on? There can't be a huge coaching talent discrepancy between all of them, so get one and let's ride. Tibbetts would be great here.  

On 5/23/2019 at 9:46 AM, chipc3 said:

Wexler's primary job is to make the business profitable. Ticket sales drive the engine. The only reason the team jumped on the bandwagon early with Ja was they thought it would drive ticket sales because the talk radio show callers and the message board and twitter all said bring us Ja. 

If the momentum of fan interest swings toward RJ Barrett or Cam Reddish or Darius Garland or whoever, then the Grizzlies will let it leak that they may take that name so hopefully they will sell a few more tickets, a few jerseys, anything to help the bottom line. 

And Memphis fans need to wake up to this reality because if the team's attendance doesn't improve then you can start the clock to the team moving. 

The people concerned with the basketball side of the team are Kleisman, Prince and Makris. Chu and Grunwald are advisors to Kleisman but aren't directly involved in the player evaluation. Prince and Makris run those jobs and Kleisman is the numbers guy to make sure the team doesn't step over the luxury tax. 

slow your Role big fella.. you jumping off the deep end. first off,  the team didn't just jump on Ja for ticket sales. He arguably the best player in the draft at a huge position of need.  if fan interest were to go toward those other guys, which it aint, the team aint leaking information that they are taking anybody other than Morant. calm down all that moving talk to. Grizz ain't going anywhere any time soon.  I like what this FO is doing. Wexler has said many times before that although he is in charge to run things, he lets the basketball people handle the basketball stuff.grizzlies are in arguably the best position we have been in since we have been in Memphis to have not one but two legit all nba stars. I mean top 10 guys in the league type guys. maybe even top 5 guys. if that all turns out to be the case, Memphis will be BOOMIN economically in ways we have never seen, including the playoff years.

15 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Can we just pick one of these assistants and move on? There can't be a huge coaching talent discrepancy between all of them, so get one and let's ride. Tibbetts would be great here.  

What's the point of picking quickly, exactly?

1 hour ago, First Team All Memphis said:

slow your Role big fella.. you jumping off the deep end. first off,  the team didn't just jump on Ja for ticket sales. He arguably the best player in the draft at a huge position of need.  if fan interest were to go toward those other guys, which it aint, the team aint leaking information that they are taking anybody other than Morant. calm down all that moving talk to. Grizz ain't going anywhere any time soon.  I like what this FO is doing. Wexler has said many times before that although he is in charge to run things, he lets the basketball people handle the basketball stuff.grizzlies are in arguably the best position we have been in since we have been in Memphis to have not one but two legit all nba stars. I mean top 10 guys in the league type guys. maybe even top 5 guys. if that all turns out to be the case, Memphis will be BOOMIN economically in ways we have never seen, including the playoff years.

Uhh, our point guard last season was our best player, so you can't really say it was a position of need.  At this point Ja seems to be a very worthy selection at number 2 though.

56 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

What's the point of picking quickly, exactly?

So we have a coach, there's no reason to wait either. They've interviewed like 10+ people at this point. Seemingly to second interviews. Plus, JV said he needs to see the coach before he decides what he's doing. It is important for a number of offseason decisions. Also, it just looks like we are inept from the outside since we're the only one who hasn't hired a coach yet. 

54 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Uhh, our point guard last season was our best player, so you can't really say it was a position of need.  At this point Ja seems to be a very worthy selection at number 2 though.

Conley is in the block though 

7 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

But he doesn't have to be.  Sure, if we trade him away we need a point guard.

You’re thinking from the same reactive point of view that the FO has said they are trying to get away from. 

If you have a 31 year old player who doesn’t want to be a part of a rebuild and you  are actively trying to trade him then his position is a position of need. It doesn’t become a position of need the moment the trade goes down 

On 5/23/2019 at 8:46 AM, chipc3 said:

Wexler's primary job is to make the business profitable. Ticket sales drive the engine. The only reason the team jumped on the bandwagon early with Ja was they thought it would drive ticket sales because the talk radio show callers and the message board and twitter all said bring us Ja. 

If the momentum of fan interest swings toward RJ Barrett or Cam Reddish or Darius Garland or whoever, then the Grizzlies will let it leak that they may take that name so hopefully they will sell a few more tickets, a few jerseys, anything to help the bottom line. 

And Memphis fans need to wake up to this reality because if the team's attendance doesn't improve then you can start the clock to the team moving. 

The people concerned with the basketball side of the team are Kleisman, Prince and Makris. Chu and Grunwald are advisors to Kleisman but aren't directly involved in the player evaluation. Prince and Makris run those jobs and Kleisman is the numbers guy to make sure the team doesn't step over the luxury tax. 

😂😂😂😂

Chip has now joined the rest of the Memphis miserables. Start your doomsday clock!

48 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

😂😂😂😂

Chip has now joined the rest of the Memphis miserables. Start your doomsday clock!

:lol: He's gone over to "the dark side".

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

😂😂😂😂

Actually I am pretty optimistic about the future for the Grizzlies.

27 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Actually I am pretty optimistic about the future for the Grizzlies.

But you kind of went all Scooter on us for a minute there...

On 5/25/2019 at 6:52 PM, Rdk4121 said:

So we have a coach, there's no reason to wait either. They've interviewed like 10+ people at this point. Seemingly to second interviews. Plus, JV said he needs to see the coach before he decides what he's doing. It is important for a number of offseason decisions. Also, it just looks like we are inept from the outside since we're the only one who hasn't hired a coach yet. 

You do realize that most of the guys they are interviewing have jobs with teams that were still active in the playoffs as recent as last week right? If you want to go out and get an assistant from one of these trash franchises that’s the only way you make a move now, otherwise there is no rush. I’m fine if they take their time as long as they pick the right guy, because with this owner we’ve never had that guy. I see them taking their time as a good sign. 

3 hours ago, King Dork said:

You do realize that most of the guys they are interviewing have jobs with teams that were still active in the playoffs as recent as last week right? If you want to go out and get an assistant from one of these trash franchises that’s the only way you make a move now, otherwise there is no rush. I’m fine if they take their time as long as they pick the right guy, because with this owner we’ve never had that guy. I see them taking their time as a good sign. 

Image result for seriously gif

3 hours ago, King Dork said:

EXACTLY! get it right and nobody will remember how long it took to hire the guy. the fact that this FO is doing is do diligence signals a change in the front office that's more than just lip service. the fact that the league is down to its final two teams and a coach still hasn't been hired leads me to believe its between the two assistants who are still coaching. if it wasn't, why wouldn't they just announce the hires of the guys who aren't coaching anymore if they were the guy(s) they wanted? jarron Collins or Adrian Griffin? couldn't go wrong with either in my opinion

13 hours ago, King Dork said:

You do know you can hire a guy during the playoffs?

1 hour ago, Holidayinn21 said:

You do know you can hire a guy during the playoffs?

So he’s going to leave the team he’s actively trying to coach to a championship during their playoff run? Stop it. 

8 hours ago, King Dork said:

So he’s going to leave the team he’s actively trying to coach to a championship during their playoff run? Stop it. 

Uh....I don't think they have to leave when they agree to take the job.  They can finish out the playoffs and then sign the contract after their season is finished.

Unless there is something in the NBA rules about not being allowed to do that.

Is there?

this fo had better have some ducks in a row. everything is simple peas and carrots until it ain’t. my sincere hope is they are not pulling this secret agent mentality with players and are having good communication with mike and jv, etc. 

they had better have a solid plan for the new coach as well. I don’t care who it’s going to be, but he better pan out. getting tired of all the secrecy etc. whatever. if it all works out and they nail this summer, so be it. if they don’t, then our local media should crucify them. 

slim. 

Just remembered that the CA is a paid website...

I cannot copy paste all - but , here are a few ( can anybody else post a paragraph or two for the boards ?) 

from Commercial Appeal

* Who are the seven known Grizzlies coaching candidates?

Almost seven weeks have passed since the Grizzlies fired J.B. Bickerstaff and began the search for their fifth head coach since Robert Pera's acquisition of the team in 2012.

Seven names have been connected to the job through media reports. Every other NBA team that was looking for a new head coach has made a hire.

Memphis, meanwhile, continues its search. Two candidates are assistant coaches in the NBA Finals; one recently was fired as a head coach; one is a EuroLeague coach; and the other three are assistants for teams that have been eliminated from the playoffs.

Here is a closer look at the coaches who have been connected to the job:

On 5/25/2019 at 2:16 AM, Rdk4121 said:

The other aspect may be the assistant willing to accept the job as well - depending on how things break, he could be looking at a rough first few seasons, which usually means getting fired...

Alex Jensen : 6th year Assistant Utah Jazz

Sarunas Jasikevicius : A former Maryland star and current coach of Zalgiris in the EuroLeague, Sarunas Jasikevicius played two NBA seasons during a pro career spent mostly overseas.

Jarron Collins : For now, Collins is a journeyman assistant for Golden State who is hoping to help the Warriors to their fourth NBA title since he joined the staff in 2014.