GameOn

Put on your GM hat and pick the next Grizzlies HC

43 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

There are only 30 NBA HC jobs, period.     Vet coaches may be hesitant without a longer contract but up and comers would jump at the chance.    

I agree. No matter how dysfunctional an organization may be, it is still one of only thirty. Vet coaches will test the market first, or sit out a year or two while going on NBATV, but there is no shortage of new guys wanting in. 

The biggest problem IMO is the top 3; Pera, Wexler and Kleiman. It seems that they are intent on trying to re-invent the wheel. 

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Actually the roster has been put together mostly by Makris and Prince. Only Conley and Parsons have Wallace’s direct thumbprint. 

Maybe Jevon Carter too since he has the West Virginia connection. Makris and Prince took over the draft process two years ago and the player moves this year. The surprise announcement had already taken place. 

So Pera didn't have anything to do with the Gasol trade?

22 hours ago, GameOn said:

If you were GM, who would you pick as the Grizzlies next HC? I will kick off the discussion with my choice, Sarunas Jasikevicius. Here is some info I gathered (from 2018 - around the time that Masai Ujiri, the Raptors GM, flew to Europe to interview him for HC of the Raptors):

Sarunas Jasikevicius has successfully made the leap from a legendary playing career in Europe to the head coaching ranks with Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania.

Here’s what you need to know about the Raptors’ latest head coaching candidate:

Name: Sarunas Jasikevicius
Hometown: Kaunas, Lithuania
NBA coaching experience: None

Rising star

A four-time EuroLeague champion, three-time Greek League champion, two-time Spanish and Israeli league champion, as well as Slovenian Cup, Turkish Cup, and Lithuanian league champ, Jasikevicius was no stranger to winning in his playing days.

After retiring from Lithuanian league powerhouse Zalgiris Kaunas in 2014, the six-foot-four point guard became an assistant coach with the club the following season. In 2016 he took over as head coach for Zalgiris and the team has won two Lithuanian league titles in as many years with Jasikevicius at the helm.

Jasikevicius was named Lithuania’s Coach of the Year in the 2017 and finished third in EuroLeague voting for the award.

This past season, he coached Zalgiris to a 22-14 record in the EuroLeague and the team reached the final four for the first time since 1999.

Given all he’s accomplished in just two full seasons of coaching it’s no wonder NBA teams like Toronto are already seriously considering fast-tracking Jasikevicius to an NBA head coaching job.

Raptors & NBA connection

Although he’s only coached in Europe, where he also spent the majority of his playing career, Jasikevicius is very familiar with the North American game.

For starters, he played high school basketball in the United States, moving from his home country to play his senior year at Solanco High School in Pennsylvania. He played point guard at Maryland for four years.

He would eventually play in the NBA, signing a free agent deal with the Indiana Pacers in 2005. As a 29 year-old rookie, Jasikevicius played 75 games for the playoff-bound Pacers. He spent two more years in the league before returning to Europe.

The Raptors ties don’t end there with the prospective coach. The most obvious connection is between Jasikevicius and fellow Lithuanian Jonas Valanciunas, the Raptors centre who is coming off his best season yet.

Having played together on the Lithuanian national team, Jasikevicius has had a first-hand look at the 26 year-old’s development and, with the exception of maybe Nurse, would have the strongest relationship with him as any coaching candidate thus far. The two were also teammates on Lietuvos rytas in 2010, the year before Valanciunas made his NBA debut.

Storied career

A gifted passer and highly effective floor general, Jasikevicius raked in awards at virtually every stage and stop during a 16-year professional career.

He’s won four EuroLeague titles, been named MVP in four different leagues, EuroLeague Finals MVP in 2005, All-Europe Player of the Year twice (2004, 2005), and in 2003 was named FIBA EuroBasket MVP after leading Lithuania to gold — among many more accolades.

Long story short, Jasikevicius is one of the all-time greats in European basketball, with the resume to back it up.

As a young and talented ex-player and coach, with excellent credentials, I think he could be just what the Grizzlies need to breathe new life into the franchise. He has accomplished a "culture of winning" throughout his career and can help build that culture in the Grizzlies organization. He should be interviewed asap. 

I wouldn't want a foreign coach until he has been an assistant under an American coach unless he had played pro ball in the NBA. Why didn't he come over? Was Petro Lithunian?

2 hours ago, GameOn said:

Maybe not an established vet, but why not an up and coming young guy? For a young guy it would be an opportunity to break into the ranks of being an NBA coach. In a few years, if he was good enough and doesn't want to stay in Memphis, he would now have options to be a HC anywhere in the NBA.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

There are only 30 NBA HC jobs, period.     Vet coaches may be hesitant without a longer contract but up and comers would jump at the chance.    

We’ve fired 4 coaches in six years. A young hot commodity would probably just wait for a more stable and secure situation to avoid putting a termination on their resume 

2 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

So Pera didn't have anything to do with the Gasol trade?

Of course Pera was involved. He was very involved from what I have been told but ultimately it was Price and Makris who did the work setting up the trade.

33 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Of course Pera was involved. He was very involved from what I have been told but ultimately it was Price and Makris who did the work setting up the trade.

Why would he have to be involved if the other guys had the trade already set up?

I like everything about the trade except the pick this is the second time Toronto hasn't been able to properly compensate us pick wise 

3 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I like everything about the trade except the pick this is the second time Toronto hasn't been able to properly compensate us pick wise 

You're never satisfied, are you? The Grizz beat them on this trade I am surprised they didn't ask for a pick.

30 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You're never satisfied, are you? The Grizz beat them on this trade I am surprised they didn't ask for a pick.

The Grizzlies gave up two seconds for Justin Holiday think about it. 

Yes, we won the trade because JV and Delon, balled when they got here, but we had no way of knowing that. If Marc Gasol can't get you two seconds as way of assurance your FO is chicken. 

1 hour ago, Teddy.B said:

Yes, we won the trade because JV and Delon, balled when they got here, but we had no way of knowing that. If Marc Gasol can't get you two seconds as way of assurance your FO is chicken. 

All I have been hearing here is Gasol is toast. JV was a top 5 pick, what was Gasol?

55 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

All I have been hearing here is Gasol is toast. JV was a top 5 pick, what was Gasol?

What does where you were selected have to do with anything after you have established what kind of player you are?

15 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Why would he have to be involved if the other guys had the trade already set up?

Because he owns the team and you can't do anything without involving the owner. 

11 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Thank you there was no way of telling JV and Delon would be good or not JV was barely playing for Toronto and Delon was playing more off the ball when they drafted him as a pg Van vleet beat him out for the back up spot.  A second round pick in 2024 is a negative. However I see what the Grizz may have been trying to do since Toronto doesn't seem to own anyone else's pick they went for a year when Toronto would be bad....So in theory that makes sense but I would have at least looked to get a 2021 as well

Actually both players had a body of work prior to the trade and - while you can't "know" that Delon would post three triple double to end the season or that Jonas would post a 30 point, 20 rebound game - you could now that both players were solid NBA players that could contribute if given the opportunity.

JV was a top 5 pick in his draft for goodness sake. Delon was an All-American at Utah. Both had been in the league for years. It's not like the team was calling up Bruno Caboclo from the G League and getting superstar numbers after all. These players were trapped in Toronto and not getting PT but you can't say people who follow the NBA didn't know them.  

19 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I wouldn't want a foreign coach until he has been an assistant under an American coach unless he had played pro ball in the NBA. Why didn't he come over? Was Petro Lithunian?

He has played in the NBA. From my post:

For starters, he played high school basketball in the United States, moving from his home country to play his senior year at Solanco High School in Pennsylvania. He played point guard at Maryland for four years.

He would eventually play in the NBA, signing a free agent deal with the Indiana Pacers in 2005. As a 29 year-old rookie, Jasikevicius played 75 games for the playoff-bound Pacers. He spent two more years in the league before returning to Europe.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Because he owns the team and you can't do anything without involving the owner. 

Forgive me but didn't he own it when Wallace was doing all those other bad trades? 

58 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Forgive me but didn't he own it when Wallace was doing all those other bad trades? 

Depends on which bad trades you are referring to. Wallace was here before and after Pera bought the team after all. 

As I said, Pera has stepped up his involvement with the team lately but that doesn't mean he is directly calling GMs from other teams. He is more active in making his feelings known and discussing in greater detail the pros and cons of trades is what I am saying instead of just doing what the Front Office suggests. He is challenging them to defend their actions more now. 

3 minutes ago, GameOn said:

He has played in the NBA. From my post:

For starters I don't even try to keep up HS players and very little college, I am pretty much a NBA fan,  and have been since the Celts ruled the NBA. I would think he probably was a sub, correct?

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Depends on which bad trades you are referring to. Wallace was here before and after Pera bought the team after all. 

As I said, Pera has stepped up his involvement with the team lately but that doesn't mean he is directly calling GMs from other teams. He is more active in making his feelings known and discussing in greater detail the pros and cons of trades is what I am saying instead of just doing what the Front Office suggests. He is challenging them to defend their actions more now. 

I think the Grizz came out way on top in this trade and for NDQ to want Tor to give a better pick would be completely absurd. 

3 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I think the Grizz came out way on top in this trade and for NDQ to want Tor to give a better pick would be completely absurd. 

I suppose you are the type of person who, when sitting at a poker table and you have a winning hand and know the person you are playing against is an idiot, wouldn't try to take advantage of him as much and as often as possible.

That's very commendable of you and your ethics. Most people would abuse him until he was busted. I believe that is what Ndq is suggesting. 

Nice way to avoid my question too. Very evasive changing the subject the way you just did. 

37 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Actually both players had a body of work prior to the trade and - while you can't "know" that Delon would post three triple double to end the season or that Jonas would post a 30 point, 20 rebound game - you could now that both players were solid NBA players that could contribute if given the opportunity.

JV was a top 5 pick in his draft for goodness sake. Delon was an All-American at Utah. Both had been in the league for years. It's not like the team was calling up Bruno Caboclo from the G League and getting superstar numbers after all. These players were trapped in Toronto and not getting PT but you can't say people who follow the NBA didn't know them.  

Yea i liked Delon and wanted to draft him.  Jonas was always a Double Double threat but never a good fit with Zbo like Gasol was.   They are solid to good players.     Like you said they didn't drop out of the sky.   Neither of them are doing things they aren't capable of.    

Jonas was always a plus rebounder and great post scorer.    Delon is a pass first PG that is also a plus rebounder for his position.      I can almost guarantee that Delon will get another Triple Double next season (if playing starters minutes) and Jonas will have another 30p/15r game.      They have the tools.  

46 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I suppose you are the type of person who, when sitting at a poker table and you have a winning hand and know the person you are playing against is an idiot, wouldn't try to take advantage of him as much and as often as possible.

That's very commendable of you and your ethics. Most people would abuse him until he was busted. I believe that is what Ndq is suggesting. 

Nice way to avoid my question too. Very evasive changing the subject the way you just did. 

You asked a Q? Where?

3 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You asked a Q? Where?

56 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I Forgot to put a question mark. My bad in that regard but what this was my question after you made the remark that " didn't he (Pera)  own it (The Grizzlies) when Wallace was doing all those other bad trades?"

So what bad trades were you referring to? 

First they need an experienced GM to bring in his own coach...Bryan Colangelo?...he made a stupid mistake with the 76"s, but this guy knows how to build a team and front office for drafting...and may be affordable given he was terminated...and I like thinking out of the BOX, and I don't think you need an experienced NBA head coach(with an experienced GM) for a team that is in a mini-rebuild...so I like the idea of out of box/traditional thinking with a Jasikevicius, or Becky Hammon, or I would have really liked a Stackhouse, but timing was off.  Are we thinking a "bridge" to get us over for a couple of years, or a coach that is picked thinking they need to be in final 4 inside 5 years?  or a rick Pitino?

46 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

For starters I don't even try to keep up HS players and very little college, I am pretty much a NBA fan,  and have been since the Celts ruled the NBA. I would think he probably was a sub, correct?

Sarunas Jasikevicius played 112 games with the Pacers (16 starts). 26 games with GSW (2 starts). I believe he was a rotation player with the Pacers, not so much with GSW. My point is simply that he has had NBA experience. I have no idea if he would even consider coaching the Grizzlies. I just thought it might be interesting to talk to the guy, considering what he has accomplished in his career as a player and a coach. He also knows JV really well, and if Sarunas was hired as coach, I would bet JV would sign on the dotted line in a heartbeat (and maybe on very favorable terms). Just my 2 cents.