chipc3

Will the Grizzlies be improved next season?

Will the Grizzlies Be Better Next Season  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Grizzlies be better next year?

• Yes
    • No

I’m curious after all the activity this week if people believe the team will be better or not next season?

with this roster and F,E  high Draft pick. I can see this team winning 42-47 games 

Small sample size, but I'm surprised 33% believe the team will be worse next year. With a healthy roster and some time to develop chemistry, I believe that even if this roster came back as is, it could easily be a 40+ win team. So, in the off season, after some additions/subtractions and a new coach/GM it could be even better. 

With a full season of Conley, JV, JJJ, Anderson, Dillon, Bradley, Delon, and any other pieces we get/bring back. Without Conley, we might be worse depending on what we get in return. 

We won't win with Parsons on the roster I see alot people trying to make rosters for us to make the playoffs but with us paying him 24 mil next year we won't win.

Is simple math.

No

yall are delusional. This is one of the worst rosters in the western conference 

I think this is relevant for this thread.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sports/article/4453/Grizzlies-QA-Executives-Jason-Wexler-and-Zach-Kleiman-on-the-teams-new-evolving-leadership

DM: Are you (Kleiman) ready to be a GM? You will be the lead basketball executive, right?

Kleiman: I will.

DM: In the past, the idea seemed to be rebuild to a point but try to stay competitive and operate on dual tracks. In part, there seemed to be a kind of fear, I guess, that this market wouldn’t support a complete rebuild. What concerns do you have about telling a ticket-buying public, hey, you may be looking at a three- to five-year process?

Kleiman: The goal is long-term sustainable success. We’re not going to make moves in the short term that sacrifice that, but that’s not to say we’re not very happy with a lot of the things we already have in the mix.

There’s no "five-year process." Notions like that aren’t even on the radar.

DM: You’ve both talked about knowing what you know and what you don’t. It seems like an underlying tension in the NBA is between old school and new school, the former players/coaches and people who don’t come from that kind of background. You are both of the newer model. How self-aware do you feel like you need to be about that in terms of dealing with people and in filling out the organization? And is that an issue in terms of effectively communicating across that divide?

Kleiman: Very much so. I think that’s something that we’re well aware of. We’re of a mindset that everything matters. We want a diversity of thought in what we’re doing. We’re going to pay attention to what an old-school approach says, but I think there are different layers even within that. But it all matters.

DM: You mentioned you wanted to be less reactive. You all were here while you were being reactive, and Robert was certainly very involved. Why would it be qualitatively different? How much of a change is this?

Wexler: I think you’ll see over the coming weeks and months that it’s going to be a pretty substantive new approach. In the past, where the team felt like it was close, it’s easy to see how you could fall into a mode of situational thinking. I think what you’ll see over time is that there’s a way to be successful and strategic and not just successful and situational.

DM: Going forward, what are you looking for in a new coach?

Kleiman: There are a number of attributes that we intend to prioritize in a coaching search. First and foremost is X’s and O’s. We want an individual who can come to the table strong both in in-game strategy and big-picture schemes. That’s critical.

Communication is also paramount. We want someone who communicates effectively to players, to their own staff, and manages a staff effectively. We want someone who’s going to work with us effectively, of course. Ability to develop players, to support them on and off the court.

DM: How much is the keeping or conveying the draft pick going to matter in terms of structuring what will happen in the future?

Kleiman: It’s a piece of information that will help inform our approach within a larger plan. It won’t dictate where we intend to get to over time. And it’s out of our control.

29 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I think this is relevant for this thread.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sports/article/4453/Grizzlies-QA-Executives-Jason-Wexler-and-Zach-Kleiman-on-the-teams-new-evolving-leadership

DM: Are you (Kleiman) ready to be a GM? You will be the lead basketball executive, right?

Kleiman: I will.

DM: In the past, the idea seemed to be rebuild to a point but try to stay competitive and operate on dual tracks. In part, there seemed to be a kind of fear, I guess, that this market wouldn’t support a complete rebuild. What concerns do you have about telling a ticket-buying public, hey, you may be looking at a three- to five-year process?

Kleiman: The goal is long-term sustainable success. We’re not going to make moves in the short term that sacrifice that, but that’s not to say we’re not very happy with a lot of the things we already have in the mix.

There’s no "five-year process." Notions like that aren’t even on the radar.

DM: You’ve both talked about knowing what you know and what you don’t. It seems like an underlying tension in the NBA is between old school and new school, the former players/coaches and people who don’t come from that kind of background. You are both of the newer model. How self-aware do you feel like you need to be about that in terms of dealing with people and in filling out the organization? And is that an issue in terms of effectively communicating across that divide?

Kleiman: Very much so. I think that’s something that we’re well aware of. We’re of a mindset that everything matters. We want a diversity of thought in what we’re doing. We’re going to pay attention to what an old-school approach says, but I think there are different layers even within that. But it all matters.

DM: You mentioned you wanted to be less reactive. You all were here while you were being reactive, and Robert was certainly very involved. Why would it be qualitatively different? How much of a change is this?

Wexler: I think you’ll see over the coming weeks and months that it’s going to be a pretty substantive new approach. In the past, where the team felt like it was close, it’s easy to see how you could fall into a mode of situational thinking. I think what you’ll see over time is that there’s a way to be successful and strategic and not just successful and situational.

Kleiman: There are a number of attributes that we intend to prioritize in a coaching search. First and foremost is X’s and O’s. We want an individual who can come to the table strong both in in-game strategy and big-picture schemes. That’s critical.

Communication is also paramount. We want someone who communicates effectively to players, to their own staff, and manages a staff effectively. We want someone who’s going to work with us effectively, of course. Ability to develop players, to support them on and off the court.

DM: How much is the keeping or conveying the draft pick going to matter in terms of structuring what will happen in the future?

Kleiman: It’s a piece of information that will help inform our approach within a larger plan. It won’t dictate where we intend to get to over time. And it’s out of our control.

Good article. Thanks for the link.

I think it's way too early to determine if the Grizz will improve. I will say this, at the beginning of the season I predicted about mid 30s in wins. When you look at the fact that we trotted 28 players out there and lost like what 22 games where we had double digit leads, think team could've been on the cusp of a playoff spot if healthy.I have no idea how this team will stay healthy because it seems this has been a recurring theme for years.

I'll wait until after the draft , after any trades that will be made and after  new coach has been hired before assessing if I think they can improve. 

DM: What is your background in basketball?

Kleiman: I once played in Gym class in high school. There were only ten kids that day so I finally got picked for a team.

DM: So after you first picked up a basketball in high school, what have you done in the sport since then?

Kleiman: Oh no. I never touched the ball then. They wouldn't pass the ball to me. I first picked up a basketball at the Grizz Den after our last game. I put it back though. It was heavy.

DM: You’ve talked about knowing what you know and what you don’t. 

Kleiman: Very much so. When it comes to basketball, I know that I don't know anything.

DM: You mentioned you wanted to be less reactive. How much of a change is this?

Wexler: I won't need an umbrella anymore.

Kleiman: A good hugger. Maybe John Madden. He looks like a good hugger.

Kleiman: I am against the draft. The military scares me.

How can people count on anyone on this team to be healthy or hope for continuity/chemistry etc?

Conley is injury prone

so is Jonas

so is Bradley

3our "Best" players should all be expected to miss 20-30 games a season 

8 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

JV will save the Grizz.

I hOpE yOuR wErE rIgHt    because if your WRONG the  Memphis grizzlies may be the SEATTLE SUPPER GRIZZLIES 

5 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Kleiman: I once played in Gym class in high school. There were only ten kids that day so I finally got picked for a team.

DM: So after you first picked up a basketball in high school, what have you done in the sport since then?

Kleiman: Oh no. I never touched the ball then. They wouldn't pass the ball to me. I first picked up a basketball at the Grizz Den after our last game. I put it back though. It was heavy.

Kleiman: Very much so. When it comes to basketball, I know that I don't know anything.

THE GRIZZ ARE F----

When you say better do you mean better record than this year or they look promising but the record is similar

I think with this FO reshuffle I don't see Conley coming back I think they look to bring Delon back and maybe Jonas for his last year I don't see them offering him a multi year deal....no way do I believe Bradley is back. 

I think Conley will be a trade close to draft time I also believe they will move him to the east Boston Chicago Charlotte Indiana and Detroit could all use Conley's service depending how FA goes for them.

10 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think with this FO reshuffle I don't see Conley coming back I think they look to bring Delon back and maybe Jonas for his last year I don't see them offering him a multi year deal....no way do I believe Bradley is back. 

I think Conley will be a trade close to draft time I also believe they will move him to the east Boston Chicago Charlotte Indiana and Detroit could all use Conley's service depending how FA goes for them.

Reading there comments it seems pretty safe to assume he is getting traded.     Bradley and Jonas don't hurt the longterm view if they are resigned or just play out next season.    I am pretty sure Delon will be in longterm plans like you are. 

i think team will be improved regardless if record is better or not. 

If Mike Conley is on another team, they will have higher odds for the lottery next year than this year.

I don't think Conley being gone is a sure thing unless Pera has committed to it.  The next coach "recruiting" Conley will make a big impact.  Saying that, I think he will be traded.

6 hours ago, Father Pat said:

🤣

6 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Ever considered a job as script writer for SNL or Veep or something similar?

With this talent exhibited, you'd definitely get a look in 😅 😂 🤣

Interesting to see how many people see the team improving without knowing who the coach will be. I guess people’s perception of a coach’s value is higher during the season than the off-season.