Sign in to follow this  
notnilc20

Could Luke Walton coach the Grizzlies?

Let's see, he had the alleged best basketball player on the planet, some savvy vets, and some upcoming young stars on his team and now they are preparing for the playoffs.... uhhh well the first part anyway.  How do you miss the playoffs with that?

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Let's see, he had the alleged best basketball player on the planet, some savvy vets, and some upcoming young stars on his team and now they are preparing for the playoffs.... uhhh well the first part anyway.  How do you miss the playoffs with that?

Injuries and team chemistry issues 

7 hours ago, Allen said:

Injuries and team chemistry issues 

Funny they didn't take that into account before they fired JB.  I guess those issues don't count.

9 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Tyron Lue was, probably, only one who "coached" "best basketball player". Any other coach that has his own opinion how to play must go. And, when Magic traded away all supporting cast in the hope of getting AD on board, playoffs became a mirage with no regard who had the helm. Simple like that.

8 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Why?  What has he done to show that he deserves to be a coach of any NBA team?

He did quite well when Steve Kerr went down for a long while. And please don't tell that all the world and your wife could coach GSW. It was not that easy during this particular period.

27 minutes ago, RaptorGrizzly said:

He did quite well when Steve Kerr went down for a long while. And please don't tell that all the world and your wife could coach GSW. It was not that easy during this particular period.

How was it not difficult?  The best basketball team in the league with their system already in place.

14 hours ago, notnilc20 said:

since he's no longer with the Lakers.......thoughts?  

that will be a JB all  over again

its going to be hard for the grizzlies to get a good vet coach, since pera brought the team in 2012 the grizzlies have had 5 coaches , that doesnot look good 

I'm thinking Monty Williams would be a good candidate and probably embrace the city well.. Or an upstart assistant that has a forward thinking approach to the game....just nobody with an old-school approach enough of the coaches that play sub par veterans trying to win games to boost their record.

3 minutes ago, lions said:

its going to be hard for the grizzlies to get a good vet coach, since pera brought the team in 2012 the grizzlies have had 5 coaches , that doesnot look good 

That's because the franchise can't be true with themselves in the direction of the team. If everyone is on the same page the team should be in a rebuilding phase so a coach with the patience to let his players develop should be at the top of the list. They keep bringing in coaches and telling them we are competing for the playoffs when the roster have been bottom end of the lottery at best.

I believe I would rather not have a recycled coach. I want someone new and ready to grow with the team. I realize that's probably not going to be a popular opinion. I just think it's the best approach for where we are right now. That being said, I suspect the FO will want someone just to squeeze as many wins as possible out of the roster. I think they are satisfied just to make the playoffs each year. The team will make money if they can consistently do that.

2 hours ago, RaptorGrizzly said:

Uhh, thanks for telling me what my reply is before I even replied. Is this KBM?

Anyway, I don't think that warrants him being a head coach. They had won 67 games and the NBA championship the year before. The system was in place and there were also numerous asst coaches there.

His time with the Lakers was much more indicative of what he is as a head coach. I mean, Tyron Lue won a championship with LeBron and the LeBronettes but Walton couldn't even make the playoffs with LeBron amd 4 former lottery picks (Ball, KCP, Ingram, Chandler). you have your opinion and i have mine. Mine is, he hasn't done anything to show that he deserves to be an NBA coach other than be the son of Bill Walton.

12 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Uhh, thanks for telling me what my reply is before I even replied. Is this KBM?

Anyway, I don't think that warrants him being a head coach. They had won 67 games and the NBA championship the year before. The system was in place and there were also numerous asst coaches there.

His time with the Lakers was much more indicative of what he is as a head coach. I mean, Tyron Lue won a championship with LeBron and the LeBronettes but Walton couldn't even make the playoffs with LeBron amd 4 former lottery picks (Ball, KCP, Ingram, Chandler). you have your opinion and i have mine. Mine is, he hasn't done anything to show that he deserves to be an NBA coach other than be the son of Bill Walton.

Naw injuries and the trade debacle gives Walton a pass. It’s still to early to call what caliber of coach he is 

6 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

That's because the franchise can't be true with themselves in the direction of the team. If everyone is on the same page the team should be in a rebuilding phase so a coach with the patience to let his players develop should be at the top of the list. They keep bringing in coaches and telling them we are competing for the playoffs when the roster have been bottom end of the lottery at best.

the Memphis grizzlies need a young hubbie brown type of coach 

13 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

The best player on the planet got hurt, just like some of the Grizz' players.