Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Chris Wallace Appreciation Thread

I know Wallace hasn't left but I feel his time as the public face of the franchise has ended none the less. As such I feel it appropriate to have this appreciation thread. 

First, I appreciate Wallace moving Pouty Pau for Moody Marc. Pau wanted out of Memphis (after he got his max deal of course) and it looked like Memphis wasn't going to get fair value for him. Wallace wanted two things in the trade, financial cap space and Marc Gasol. People thought it was a terrible trade at the time (Pops cough cough) but in hindsight this trade not only allowed the Grizzlies to acquire Marc's rights but also the financial freedome to pick up Zach Randolph for Quentin Richardson. Two of the best players in franchise history (and half of the core four) came because Chris Wallace got what he wanted for Pau. 

Second, I appreciate the way he adopted the city and went out of his way to be seen around town and open to fans when he first arrived. Wallace met fans in restaurants, bars and clubs. He spoke on TV, radio and even small blogs written by fans. He was willing to do anything if he felt he could promote the team. In many ways, Chris Wallace did more to make the Grizzlies are part of Memphis as anyone including Michael Wallace. 

It's been a long time since Wallace was out in the public the way he used to be. Probably because the new owner prefers silence to openness but I remember how it used to be when Wallace did everything he could to link the team with the city.  

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I know Wallace hasn't left but I feel his time as the public face of the franchise has ended none the less. As such I feel it appropriate to have this appreciation thread. 

First, I appreciate Wallace moving Pouty Pau for Moody Marc. Pau wanted out of Memphis (after he got his max deal of course) and it looked like Memphis wasn't going to get fair value for him. Wallace wanted two things in the trade, financial cap space and Marc Gasol. People thought it was a terrible trade at the time (Pops cough cough) but in hindsight this trade not only allowed the Grizzlies to acquire Marc's rights but also the financial freedome to pick up Zach Randolph for Quentin Richardson. Two of the best players in franchise history (and half of the core four) came because Chris Wallace got what he wanted for Pau. 

Second, I appreciate the way he adopted the city and went out of his way to be seen around town and open to fans when he first arrived. Wallace met fans in restaurants, bars and clubs. He spoke on TV, radio and even small blogs written by fans. He was willing to do anything if he felt he could promote the team. In many ways, Chris Wallace did more to make the Grizzlies are part of Memphis as anyone including Michael Wallace. 

It's been a long time since Wallace was out in the public the way he used to be. Probably because the new owner prefers silence to openness but I remember how it used to be when Wallace did everything he could to link the team with the city.  

You forgot Tony Allen.  He signed him too.

I don't think Chris was a great GM or anything, but I think he is a lot closer to average than most posters give him credit for being.  Best of luck to Chris Wallace in the future, as long as it isn't at the Grizzlies expense.

I appreciate Chris' unique ability to say something using a whole lot of words without really saying anything.

I think he's a great ambassador for the city and team. He just shouldn't be GM. I would have put him in a public relations role sothat he has nothing to do with talent evaluation, even as a scout.

I'm predicting 0 change in the decision making process because I don't believe Wallace has been in charge for much of Pera's tenure.

The only change will be who is explaining the moves.

To the point of the thread, I honestly believe Wallace's trade of Pau Gasol significantly altered deal doing in the NBA.  I feel like people had traded stars before to save money or appease a player, but Wallace's strategy of getting back expiring contracts for future cap space was unique and has been copied many times since.

And the thread hijacking begins. 

I don.t think chris Wallace will be living a HARD life after basketball almost 40years on a N.B.A payroll 

Wallace in seen in a negative light among most Grizzlies fans - I know.  But in all seriousness I’d like to focus on the positives and thank him for assembling the team that gave me so many lasting memories.  

Im not trying to change anyone’s opinion of him, but in my mind he deserves at least some credit for completing the 3YP on time, our first ever playoff game and series win, 7 straight playoff appearances and a plethora of memorable moments that will last a lifetime for me.  

Thank you Chris Wallace!

He did a decent job in my opinion. He made some mistakes, but he also did a lot of good things here as well. Either way, he gave it his all and that's commendable. 

thanks chris. I remember he met with a small group of us when he first got the job. he met us at a buffalo wild wings and answered all questions we threw his way. 

good man. 

slim. 

6 hours ago, ChrisWallace burneraccount said:

He did a pretty good job and will be missed 

chris, chris Wallace is still on the play roll he still works for the memphis  grizzlies 

"It's deja vu all over again."

Pera replaces Wallace with his lawyer buddy Jason (Levien) …

Pera replaces Wallace with his lawyer buddy Jason (Wexler) ...