Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

Do the grizzlies (or for that matter) any NBA team need a GM? - a philosophical treatise on survival of the fittest

I am convinced that the only reason Dave Joerger got fired was because the owner of that team had expectations that were mostly likely incorrect (or lofty) and at the end of the year when the owner decided to take his pound of flesh: Vlade, in an attempt to keep his job, threw Joerger under the bus.

Here's the point: when money is involved (as an owner) you are not going to get an honest evaluation.

Should Dave Joerger been fired? Of course not.

The grizzlies have now been through 4 coaches in the short tenure of the Robert Pera era and we are going on #5. The question you have to ask is: was any of them warranted, for basketball reasons, or was it something else involved.

But I'm not going to answer that. Except to say that there needs to be a way to evaluate the team progress or shortfalls honestly. And the more I think about it, the less confidence I have in the GM model.

Of course it has been reported that Robert Pera has meet with Mike and Marc and it was reported that Marc didn't get along with Fizdale. But this was 3 coaches in to Pera's run. I'm not sure that Pera cared what Mike and Marc had to say about Lionel Hollins.

And even if he did, and Pera is making the decisions over the GM: it still begs the question then why have a GM if YOU PERA are running the show?

I don't think the best decisions are being made because Pera himself is causing the flip-flopping and forcing his lackeys to pick-up the pieces.

Here what I purpose and I've said this before.

The grizzlies should remove the GM position from their organization. They should rely on the coach that they hire to evaluate potential trades. They should also use crowd sourcing for drafting and coach firings and hirings.

If you use fans, instead of a traditional GM, you would remove the money factor entirely. You can't fire fans. And this team would be way better off. In fact, in regards to trades, I would make it a rule that the team doesn't make any trades period. Or at least be very slow to do so, and only if a player requests a trade. Trades are overrated.

And another points last year when the kings were drafting and all the pundits said that Marvin Bagley was the de facto second overall pickhow much do you think that that played into what vlade did when drafting.

He was drafting with having a scapegoat plan in mind. if Marvin Bagley doesn't work out he can just point to all the pundits and said he was the best player.

Again GM's aren't doing what's best for the team they're doing what's best for themselves. And this s*** has got to stop

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I am convinced that the only reason Dave Joerger got fired was because the owner of that team had expectations that were mostly likely incorrect (or lofty) and at the end of the year when the owner decided to take his pound of flesh: Vlade, in an attempt to keep his job, threw Joerger under the bus.

Here's the point: when money is involved (as an owner) you are not going to get an honest evaluation.

Should Dave Joerger been fired? Of course not.

The grizzlies have now been through 4 coaches in the short tenure of the Robert Pera era and we are going on #5. The question you have to ask is: was any of them warranted, for basketball reasons, or was it something else involved.

But I'm not going to answer that. Except to say that there needs to be a way to evaluate the team progress or shortfalls honestly. And the more I think about it, the less confidence I have in the GM model.

Of course it has been reported that Robert Pera has meet with Mike and Marc and it was reported that Marc didn't get along with Fizdale. But this was 3 coaches in to Pera's run. I'm not sure that Pera cared what Mike and Marc had to say about Lionel Hollins.

And even if he did, and Pera is making the decisions over the GM: it still begs the question then why have a GM if YOU PERA are running the show?

I don't think the best decisions are being made because Pera himself is causing the flip-flopping and forcing his lackeys to pick-up the pieces.

Here what I purpose and I've said this before.

The grizzlies should remove the GM position from their organization. They should rely on the coach that they hire to evaluate potential trades. They should also use crowd sourcing for drafting and coach firings and hirings.

If you use fans, instead of a traditional GM, you would remove the money factor entirely. You can't fire fans. And this team would be way better off. In fact, in regards to trades, I would make it a rule that the team doesn't make any trades period. Or at least be very slow to do so, and only if a player requests a trade. Trades are overrated.

We could have a coach that is also the GM.  

What are the odds of us having a pick but no coach or GM on draft night?

8 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

We could have a coach that is also the GM.  

What are the odds of us having a pick but no coach or GM on draft night?

I would think the odds would be zero.

4 minutes ago, GameOn said:

We could let our draft pick pick our next coach and GM. We could do worse.  

42 minutes ago, GameOn said:

I think the fans could pick just as good as a GM would, probably could do it better.

Again, there are ways to get around the GM as shield.

And have continuity.