GF#1

Chris Wallace re-assigned to scouting role, no longer GM

Just now, chipc3 said:

I agree somewhat. When Wallace botched the end of season media day with the comment about not having a plan they made it official but the change in power had been going on for sometime.  

You know, I'm actually OK with not having a plan, and I don't believe that is why he was reassigned.

There are a lot of variables this summer:

What if they land Zion? (or 2-4)?

What if they draft 9th and convey?

What if they draft 7/8?

What could they get for Conley?

I think what he should have said was, "The plan depends on the lottery" or "we have a lot of variables".  But there really isn't a way they could have "A plan"

Ether way, what matters was the supposed GM didn't have a plan indicates that he wasn't part of the decision making process and was just a puppet anyway.

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I agree somewhat. When Wallace botched the end of season media day with the comment about not having a plan they made it official but the change in power had been going on for sometime.  

there would be no reason to keep him if he didn't have some sway or influence on the grizzlies. 

so I just can't agree with you on this that the balance of power is shifted away from him just being a figurehead

10 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

You know, I'm actually OK with not having a plan, and I don't believe that is why he was reassigned.

There are a lot of variables this summer:

What if they land Zion? (or 2-4)?

What if they draft 9th and convey?

What if they draft 7/8?

What could they get for Conley?

I think what he should have said was, "The plan depends on the lottery" or "we have a lot of variables".  But there really isn't a way they could have "A plan"

Ether way, what matters was the supposed GM didn't have a plan indicates that he wasn't part of the decision making process and was just a puppet anyway.

If Wallace had made that statement instead of "I can’t tell you which direction we’re headed in right now" he may have held onto his lame duck GM role a bit longer. 

9 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

there would be no reason to keep him if he didn't have some sway or influence on the grizzlies. 

so I just can't agree with you on this that the balance of power is shifted away from him just being a figurehead

They are paying his salary and they will continue to do that despite his being reassigned. Basically Wallace gets a year and a half off to watch basketball all over the world, file some reports and then retire is how I see it.

How do you see it? 

19 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Why would you put Wallace in the scouting department? The guy has blown nearly every draft he had control of. 

I went back and looked at the drafts for the team over the last ten years and I think Wallace's inability to draft is greatly exaggerated.  Except for the '09 draft (and I'm not sure whose fault that was anyway) there were very few impact players taken after our picks and quite a few misses taken prior.  I'm not going to fault him for missing on a player nearly every other GM in the league didn't pick.

29 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I agree. Other than Popovich going from G.M. to head coach 20 years ago, when's the last time a G.M. was canned but stayed with the team (or how often does this happen)? The team is run by Pera and his lawyer buddies. It is now fact. So what is the expertise? Certainly not basketball knowledge. Why would a professional sports team owner do this? 

17 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I went back and looked at the drafts for the team over the last ten years and I think Wallace's inability to draft is greatly exaggerated.  Except for the '09 draft (and I'm not sure whose fault that was anyway) there were very few impact players taken after our picks and quite a few misses taken prior.  I'm not going to fault him for missing on a player nearly every other GM in the league didn't pick.

I'm not sure how to evaluate the Wallace drafts because I don't believe he wanted Thabeet, but it was an owner decision.

I also don't believe that since Pera has taken over that Wallace has been much more than a puppet/spokesperson.  Whether that is the Gasol trade, the Holiday trade, or even the Parsons signing.   If I read a history of these Grizzlies in 15-25 years and I hear Wallace was making the recommendation to Pera or that he had no input, either way, it wouldn't surprise me.

He had the title, but I don't think he had the authority.

But again, I don't know.  But I don't believe Wallace was calling the shots.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm not sure how to evaluate the Wallace drafts because I don't believe he wanted Thabeet, but it was an owner decision.

I also don't believe that since Pera has taken over that Wallace has been much more than a puppet/spokesperson.  Whether that is the Gasol trade, the Holiday trade, or even the Parsons signing.   If I read a history of these Grizzlies in 15-25 years and I hear Wallace was making the recommendation to Pera or that he had no input, either way, it wouldn't surprise me.

He had the title, but I don't think he had the authority.

But again, I don't know.  But I don't believe Wallace was calling the shots.

Which means that decisions may continue in the same way as before despite Wallace leaving the position.

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

I agree. Other than Popovich going from G.M. to head coach 20 years ago, when's the last time a G.M. was canned but stayed with the team (or how often does this happen)? The team is run by Pera and his lawyer buddies. It is now fact. So what is the expertise? Certainly not basketball knowledge. Why would a professional sports team owner do this? 

I think Pera is basially doing this .......

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

They are paying his salary and they will continue to do that despite his being reassigned. Basically Wallace gets a year and a half off to watch basketball all over the world, file some reports and then retire is how I see it.

Because Pera is rewarding him for being a "good company man" for the last season.   Taking bullets for decisions that he probably didn't really make.   Removing him from his position is nothing more than a media marketing ploy because he was mostly a figurehead this last season anyway.   

Firing JB was also necessary because whatever guy comes in is going to want to bring in his own guy.    Just like when Pera first came they didn't rehire Hollins for same reason. 

I am just glad JB is gone and Wallace is officially removed.  Now we no longer have to debate about who is making decisions.   Buck stops at Wexler. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

If Wallace had made that statement instead of "I can’t tell you which direction we’re headed in right now" he may have held onto his lame duck GM role a bit longer. 

How do you see it? 

Sounds like the trailer for an awesome suspense/murder/mystery movie/psychological thriller.  Something Philip Seymour Hoffman would have been in.  

#TheScout

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I think Pera is basially doing this .......

Because Pera is rewarding him for being a "good company man" for the last season.   Taking bullets for decisions that he probably didn't really make.   Removing him from his position is nothing more than a media marketing ploy because he was mostly a figurehead this last season anyway.   

Firing JB was also necessary because whatever guy comes in is going to want to bring in his own guy.    Just like when Pera first came they didn't rehire Hollins for same reason. 

I am just glad JB is gone and Wallace is officially removed.  Now we no longer have to debate about who is making decisions.   Buck stops at Wexler. 

Spoken like the man who has been sending most of the bullets toward Wallace! 

I agree it is cosmetic now. Until the new GM is put in place no one will know if this is Pera casting blame of Wallace for his failures (like Wallace did with Joerger and Fizdale) or if he is actually going to hire a visionary GM who move the Grizzlies into the modern game. 

Wexler said that the transition of JB and Wallace didn't go as planned.   They delayed the firing in order to protect the players from having to answer questions all revolving around the change.   

18 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

My draft boards have THE BEST analytics.

Your draft boards are loaded with comparisons to players I doubt you have ever seen play.  Sorry, man.

7 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Your draft boards are loaded with comparisons to players I doubt you have ever seen play.  Sorry, man.

Those are my BEST comparisons.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Wexler said that the transition of JB and Wallace didn't go as planned.   They delayed the firing in order to protect the players from having to answer questions all revolving around the change.   

My counter to that would've been that they should've told Wallace as much so he could PR spin the questions instead of saying JB will absolutely be back, etc.

That or demote Wallace, and promote Wexler and let him answer questions in PR speak. THEN fire JB later in the week or something.

And if the bold is correct, I still wouldn't have admitted it publicly.

They really need to hire a PR front office person.

7 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

My counter to that would've been that they should've told Wallace as much so he could PR spin the questions instead of saying JB will absolutely be back, etc.

That or demote Wallace, and promote Wexler and let him answer questions in PR speak. THEN fire JB later in the week or something.

Yeah it's a bad look. That coating ain't sugar.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

5 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Yes, them delaying the announcement to protect the players makes them look like bigger amateurs than before.  

Every NBA/MLB/NHL/NFL season has these types of days.   The players all have shown the ability to praise the coach, take some of the blame, and give some answer like they gave yesterday.

The other thing that makes them look like newbies is even if they are protecting the players, either don't roll Wallace and JB out there, or inform Wallace to defer any questions about JB to "it will be determined in the future".  Wallace could have done it and taken the bullets.

And one more points that makes the FO look somewhat selfish and amateurish is that all the players met with JB to talk about the future.  What a freaking waste of time and effort for everyone. 

People expecting any kind of change are going to be disappointed.