GF#1

Chris Wallace re-assigned to scouting role, no longer GM

I see that they mention hiring senior executive positions, but nothing specifically about a GM.

It doesn't seem clear to me whether they will actually be hiring a new GM. Is it possible that they are allowing CW to keep the title, but just decrease his responsibility to just scouting team personnel?

4 hours ago, LilFrontOffice said:

David Griffin anyone?

that will be to EASY 

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

This has been an eventful day. Glad we are being active but I wish Pera would be more visible 

Agreed.

10 minutes ago, jordisp3 said:

I see that they mention hiring senior executive positions, but nothing specifically about a GM.

It doesn't seem clear to me whether they will actually be hiring a new GM. Is it possible that they are allowing CW to keep the title, but just decrease his responsibility to just scouting team personnel?

No. 

After digesting this further, I am now completely meh with this decision. They're keeping everybody that was already in the front office and moving them around, stupid. 

2 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

After digesting this further, I am now completely meh with this decision. They're keeping everybody that was already in the front office and moving them around, stupid. 

No big surprise here. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

No big surprise here. 

In reality, aren't these the same people who people have been saying are really run the team anyway? Seems kind of ceremonial to demote Hollinger and Wallace while the guys responsible for some of the hijinks the past few months are now more "officially" in charge. Has anything really changed functionally? Seems like only titles have changed.

What kind of blackmail does Chris Wallace have on Pera that he will never be fired?

4 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

In reality, aren't these the same people who people have been saying are really run the team anyway? Seems kind of ceremonial to demote Hollinger and Wallace while the guys responsible for some of the hijinks the past few months are now more "officially" in charge. Has anything really changed functionally? Seems like only titles have changed.

It is what I have been saying on these boards for a long time. Wallace had no power. Makris and Prince were running the team. Wallace was out at the end of the season (I was wrong there). JB being fired had nothing to do directly with the Front Office moves. He earned his walking papers with the worst (by far) 3rd quarter scoring differential in the league and blowing 18 double digit second half leads. 

Personally I don't hold J B accountable for the losses. He didn't throw the ball away, miss open shots, fail to cover his man. Still, any coach in that position should expect to be fired. 

Chris has made a lot of bad moves. But, once in a blue moon, he makes good ones, like the Grit N Grind Core trades.  The reason I wanted him to move on was because he hadn't really made a good move for a long time.

I don't know if I like that he is still in the organization or not.  I guess the reason he was the GM for so long, and, that he is still in the organization, is that the owners like him.

I just hope he has more consistent success in his new position than he did as GM.

Man our new basketball leaders just got into basketball in the last few years? Wtf? If anyone ever questions their decisions I dont want to ever hear anyone say again "These guys are the professionals, you aren't" Sure, Pera picked them but thats it. They arent anymore qualified (on paper) than a good informed fan.

51 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It is what I have been saying on these boards for a long time. Wallace had no power. Makris and Prince were running the team. Wallace was out at the end of the season (I was wrong there).

JB being fired had nothing to do directly with the Front Office moves. He earned his walking papers with the worst (by far) 3rd quarter scoring differential in the league and blowing 18 double digit second half leads. 

Personally I don't hold J B accountable for the losses. He didn't throw the ball away, miss open shots, fail to cover his man. Still, any coach in that position should expect to be fired. 

This is a good point, which we have been saying on the boards for a while, that JB could not adjust to the adjustments other coaches were making.

Although, the team had been playing better lately. 

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Man our new basketball leaders just got into basketball in the last few years? Wtf? If anyone ever questions their decisions I dont want to ever hear anyone say again "These guys are the professionals, you aren't" Sure, Pera picked them but thats it. They arent anymore qualified (on paper) than a good informed fan.

Exactly. It makes as much sense as Pera hiring JB to run his tech company because he is handy with a cell phone.

Chain of command is Pera and then his two lawyer buddies; Wexler and Kleiman. Wexler was pretty good in real estate, wonder how that translates to running a NBA team?

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Why would you put Wallace in the scouting department? The guy has blown nearly every draft he had control of. 

Thabeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

This is a good point, which we have been saying on the boards for a while, that JB could not adjust to the adjustments other coaches were making.

Although, the team had been playing better lately. 

Do you remember the Detroit game?

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Do you remember the Detroit game?

...not to mention the Dallas game, or the Orlando game, or...

like the moves. hopefully, it’s more than a perception move and pera will have the nerve to hire an alpha at the gm/top spot. this think tank/group process has been a miserable failure. have a guy with the ego and nerve to stand up in the draft room and say..you hired me to make these calls and this is how we are rolling- end of discussion. 

slim. 

15 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

like the moves. hopefully, it’s more than a perception move and pera will have the nerve to hire an alpha at the gm/top spot. this think tank/group process has been a miserable failure. have a guy with the ego and nerve to stand up in the draft room and say..you hired me to make these calls and this is how we are rolling- end of discussion. 

slim. 

+1

25 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

slim. 

+2

History proves that the "think tank/ group process way has never worked and will never work.

So we’ve got a several page long thread on possible new coaches, but I haven’t seen mention of possible new GMs. In my opinion, the GM hire is more important than the coaching hire at this point and time. We need to get the right guy in here. Especially if he will have a leash as long as CW did. He should also have say in who our next coach is. I’m interested to hear other people’s thoughts. 

GM's are more difficult to find. Especially one's with vision. If we are looking for a GM who's young I'd like to see Troy Weaver from OKC, Mike Zarrin from Boston, Kirk LaCoub from Golden State (I know his dad owns the team but he isn't going to be promoted for a long time there) or Trajan Langdon from Brooklyn be interviewed.

They have great understanding of the analytics needed in today's game and a good amount of experience evaluating players. 

If we are looking for a more experienced GM with credentials I'd look at  Joe Dumars, Sam Hinkie, Dell Demps and Geoff Petrie or even Ernie Grunfield. Don't forget that Ernie had success in NY and Milwaukee before getting caught in the swamp and is a Vol to boot. 

Part of me strongly believes that Wallace wasn't making the calls anyway but was just a spokesperson who took the bullets.

If that is the case, the only change is who is getting rolled out in front of the cameras.

I can't imagine Abadi and Pera bringing in a strong GM.

Just now, Grizzled Vet said:

Part of me strongly believes that Wallace wasn't making the calls anyway but was just a spokesperson who took the bullets.

If that is the case, the only change is who is getting rolled out in front of the cameras.

I can't imagine Abadi and Pera bringing in a strong GM.

I agree somewhat. When Wallace botched the end of season media day with the comment about not having a plan they made it official but the change in power had been going on for sometime.