GF#1

Chris Wallace re-assigned to scouting role, no longer GM

Per Woj.

Additionally, Hollinger will move into a senior advisory role. The Grizzlies are promoting Jason Wexler to President, and Zach Kleiman to Executive VP of Basketball Operations as the day to day lead on basketball matters.

Why would you put Wallace in the scouting department? The guy has blown nearly every draft he had control of. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Why would you put Wallace in the scouting department? The guy has blown nearly every draft he had control of. 

Just to keep him around long as he isn't involved in decision making I don't care what he does

Who is Zach Kleiman?? 

But hold on this is the second time he has been "fired" and is still in the org. Why does everyone else just let their bad GM's go?

This is terrible. Should have fired him and know he will be hurting our future, the most important thing to a rebuilding team.

39 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Who is Zach Kleiman?? 

The figurehead GM for now. He was the assistant GM the last few years. 

Actually that isn't accurate either. He's reporting to Tayshaun Prince so Prince is acting GM for now I guess. I expect the team will make a new GM hire who brings some name to the franchise. Someone with experience. Maybe Philly's old GM who came up with the process...

I hope not but someone will most likely be the GM soon who isn't here now. 

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

But hold on this is the second time he has been "fired" and is still in the org. Why does everyone else just let their bad GM's go?

They owe him money until Dec, 2020 apparently. 

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES ANNOUNCE RESTRUCTURING OF BASKETBALL OPERATIONS DEPARTMENT

Grizzlies Relieve J.B. Bickerstaff of Head Coaching Duties

Memphis, Tenn. – The Memphis Grizzlies announced today that they have undertaken a restructuring of the franchise’s basketball operations department and that Head Coach J.B. Bickerstaff has been relieved of his duties.

Going forward, Jason Wexler will serve as President of the franchise with oversight of both business and basketball operations.  Chris Wallace’s day-to-day operational responsibilities have been reallocated and he will focus exclusively on player scouting. Zachary Z. Kleiman has been promoted to Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations, and Special Advisor Tayshaun Prince, Vice President of Team Operations and Player Programs Chantal Hassard and Director of Player Personnel Chris Makris will continue in their roles. John Hollinger will continue in a key role with the organization in a senior advisory capacity.

“In order to put our team on the path to sustainable success, it was necessary to change our approach to basketball operations,” said Chairman and Controlling Owner Robert J. Pera. “I look forward to a reenergized front office and fresh approach to Memphis Grizzlies basketball under new leadership, while retaining the identity and values that have distinguished our team.”

Pera continued, “I want to thank Chris and John for their long-term service and dedication to the Memphis Grizzlies and for their considerable contributions to our past successes, and look forward to their contributions to our future ones. I also want to thank J.B. for his leadership and commitment to our organization in his time as our coach.”

An active search has commenced for a Head Coach and multiple senior executive positions to round out the basketball operations department.

- Grizzlies.com -

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

They owe him money until Dec, 2020 apparently. 

And other orgs who fire people dont owe them money? Im just asking cause it seems weird.

2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

And other orgs who fire people dont owe them money? Im just asking cause it seems weird.

Other teams have more money and are more profitable. 

I'm just happy Pera pulled the trigger now. I'd hate it if we had to sit through another season of 2nd half collapses and bad roster moves. 

52 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Amen, brother!

15 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Other teams have more money and are more profitable. 

I'm just happy Pera pulled the trigger now. I'd hate it if we had to sit through another season of 2nd half collapses and bad roster moves. 

Like cmon now. Nee Orleans is just as bad off as Memphis and they just let Dell Demps go.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Honestly, I think he is just be given a title.  Just like before.

I think this whole this is a big PR move. I don't believe he was making the calls this season, but was just a figurehead taking the bullets.

This is just a PR move regarding Wallace and getting the fans excited that he's no longer seen as making decisions.

Unless this was done to show Mike Conley that they want him back and all the Conley trade talk was Wallace's doing, this move will not make any difference imo.

6 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

So anyone knows anything about Jason Wexler? 

Jason has been in charge of the business side of the franchise for a few years. He is very smart and well liked. He isn't a basketball person but I don't expect him to be asked to actually handle that side. He's the guy who relates things to Pera in that regard. 

The good news is the old way of doing things is finally over here in Memphis. Whether or not that is an improvement has yet to be seen. 

10 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Like cmon now. Nee Orleans is just as bad off as Memphis and they just let Dell Demps go.

I believe Demps contract was up when they fired him. 

This has been an eventful day. Glad we are being active but I wish Pera would be more visible