GF#1

Grizzlies have dismissed JB Bickerstaff

Good decision what I dislike the most about JB was how much he played Temple and how little he play JJJ.....sadly that was when  he  got exposed as an awful in-game coach.

45 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

I wouldn't mind that. I just can't imagine him wanting to be a part of this organization as it is being run right now. I would be very surprised to see them sign an established head coach.

Why wouldn't he, he'd probably get paid about 5M a year and if he got fired in the 2nd year he would still have money coming in and he could fish or hunt or whatever he wanted to do. He would also be a great mentor for 3J also.

22 minutes ago, Grizzly_Bear said:

I admit I have no suggestions at the moment  of who they should hire but I kind of know what I DON’T want. No heavily recycled  coach. That means no Van Gundy or someone like that. No bullheaded guys like Hollins. And no one who is too old-school / can’t connect with young players or is reluctant to play young players.

Good start.

Becky Hammond would be my choice not only will it help us with the media I think she is good coach.

Was long overdue. JB isn't ready and Wallace sucks so hard. This is going to be an exciting off season for us with all the moves and whatever happens with the draft pick. 

Should we take a look at Mark Jackson? 

22 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

Good decision what I dislike the most about JB was how much he played Temple and how little he play JJJ.....sadly that was when  he  got exposed as an awful in-game coach.

+1

1 minute ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Definitly make you the best coach to replace JB😂

Lol how do I sign up to become the next grizzlies coach 

Nothing about this team makes sense to me.

Pera runs this team like a scared kid.

I'm not saying bickerstaff deserved another season, but the fact that chris wallace was giving bickerstaff praise and we have all the confidence in the world in him.

What were the expectations exactly? The grizzlies promoted GNG 2.0, and for a large part, they succeeded in that. The team was #2 in defense all year. Did it translate to wins, no. But bickerstaff fulfilled the promise.

changing bickerstaff for another coach doesn't give me confidence in this team is going in the right directions.

To top it all off, you promote a GM who lets Chris Wallace talk for him.

This team is a dumpster fire with no direction whatsoever. 

7 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Nothing about this team makes sense to me.

Pera runs this team like a scared kid.

I'm not saying bickerstaff deserved another season, but the fact that chris wallace was giving bickerstaff praise and we have all the confidence in the world in him.

What were the expectations exactly? The grizzlies promoted GNG 2.0, and for a large part, they succeeded in that. The team was #2 in defense all year. Did it translate to wins, no. But bickerstaff fulfilled the promise.

changing bickerstaff for another coach doesn't give me confidence in this team is going in the right directions.

To top it all off, you promote a GM who lets Chris Wallace talk for him.

This team is a dumpster fire with no direction whatsoever. 

You've said previously at various times that he was not a good coach, had no concept of offensive schemes, had no play calls for out-of-bounds-short clock situations, and should be fired.

Have you changed your mind now?

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

yeah but basketball isn't like nascar, you don't go from worst to first easily. There is a trajectory. My issue with the board is a philosophical one: which is, I don't believe you can coordinate, draft two superstars. Not in this day in age where superstars come around once every 5 years at best.

Chemistry and longevity playing together matter more than that.    

That’s a valid opinion.

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

Why?

Isn't this what we have been asking for?

Now its done, you are criticizing the moves?

I'm not criticizing the moves. I'm criticizing the timing. The moves could have been done last  night, last week, last month. Who cares. Of course they need to move on from Wallace but how does an organization allow Wallace go out there and declare that Bickerstaff's job is safe and then the same said organization allows Bickerstaff to have exit interviews with the players to let them know what the need to work on for next season and then turn around and demote Wallace and fire Bickerstaff within hours of that. They should have done it last night, at the very least this morning before Wallace got in front of the media. I don't care about the moves. It's the timing of the moves. These moves could have been made last week and it would have been no big deal. But to let them continue on during a media day and conducting exit interviews, why? just why? 

The only types of organizations that do stuff like that are the same ones who have trades fall through because it was the wrong Brooks or declare that the want to re-sign Tyreke so they won't trade him only to have him walk for nothing (not that I wanted Tyreke back, but the flip flopping), screwing up trades left and right This organization is totally dysfunctional. That's what I am criticizing. I don't care about the moves. I was totally indifferent towards JB, especially with the players he had and Wallace needed to go but it sounds like he wasn't doing anything anyway so will things really change?

I believe Pera didn’t want to fire Wallace. However, when Chris made that horrible statement that he didn’t know what the plan was moving forward Pera had to act. You can’t have you team CEO telling the press that despite the losses the last few years he didn’t have a plan moving forward and he wasn’t going to make any changes.

6 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I'm not criticizing the moves. I'm criticizing the timing. The moves could have been done last  night, last week, last month. Who cares. Of course they need to move on from Wallace but how does an organization allow Wallace go out there and declare that Bickerstaff's job is safe and then the same said organization allows Bickerstaff to have exit interviews with the players to let them know what the need tow ork on for next season and then turn around and demote Wallace and fire Bickerstaff within hours of that. They should have done it last night, at the very least this morning before Wallace got in front of the media. I don't care about the moves. It's the timing of the moves. This moves could have been made last week and it would have been no big deal. But to let them continue on during a media day and conducting exit interviews, why? just why? 

The only types of organizations that do stuff like that are the same ones who have trades fall through because it was the wrong Brooks or declare that the want to re-sign Tyreke so they want trade him only to have him walk for nothing (not that I wanted Tyreke back, but the flip flopping_, screwing up trades left and right This organization is totally dysfunctional. That's what I am criticizing. I don't care about the moves. I was totally indifferent towards JB, especially with the players he had and Wallace needed to go but it sounds like he wasn't ding anything anyway so will things really change?

I agree

20 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

You've said previously at various times that he was not a good coach, had no concept of offensive schemes, had no play calls for out-of-bounds-short clock situations, and should be fired.

Have you changed your mind now?

I don't think he is that great of a coach, but given the option to reset or have bickerstaff get a third year. I think I would rather take my chances with him.

I just think that the grizzlies need at least some stability.

I also feel that gng 2.0 should still be the goal going forward and now I'm just not sure what they are planning.

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I believe Pera didn’t want to fire Wallace. However, when Chris made that horrible statement that he didn’t know what the plan was moving forward Pera had to act. You can’t have you team CEO telling the press that despite the losses the last few years he didn’t have a plan moving forward and he wasn’t going to make any changes.

Same but why didn’t he fire Wallace all together

Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

I don't think he is that great of a coach, but given the option to reset or have bickerstaff get a third year. I think I would rather take my chances with him.

I just think that the grizzlies need at least some stability.

I also feel that gng 2.0 should still be the goal going forward and now I'm just not sure what they are planning.

I agree but I guess the goal is to win a championship 

This whole coach firing and front office shuffling is a mess. Handled about as poorly as it could be.

This team needs a fresh top-down staff, but who is qualified and would be willing to work for a franchise that seems like kind of a mess in their decision-making?

That aside, I agree with the opinion of "no re-treads". Get a fresh voice. Hammon might be interesting. I don't know how big Grizzlies fans are on Euros, but I'd look at a couple of guys from overseas. Obradovic, who wins pretty much everywhere he goes, and is considered a kind of Euro version of Pop. Pop even took schemes from him when he revamped the Spurs offence like a decade ago. Not sure you could ever pry him away from Europe, though. Jasikevicius, who did play for a bit in the NBA and was Lithuania's lead guard for a long time, and is a young voice with experience at every level. Done a solid job for one of the Lithuanian league teams the last few years. He also played for Obradovic at Panathinaikos during their dynasty. As well as Carlisle when he was coaching Indy. He was interviewed by Toronto last year. I feel like he is more likely to be persuaded and has gotten a fair bit of attention as a young coach doing a good job.

Stackhouse would have been a name to consider. So that's too bad that he isn't an option.

I wonder what Shane Battier is doing these days? Maybe a choice for the front office in the lead role?

2 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

It doesn't matter how many points you put on the board, it's winning that counts.

You've never heard the quote. "offense sells tickets,  defense wins games. " flash is all that matters to casual fans,  the reason Mark too sharp isn't as known as Roy Jones