Sign in to follow this  
ALT GRIND

The Official Coin Flip thread: What's it gonna be?

On 4/11/2019 at 12:59 PM, oldmanGrizz said:

So if we win, we lose. Right?

I don't think so. 

The result of the coin flip is also used to determine who receives the earlier pick in the event that neither of the tied teams wins one of the first three picks via the lottery.

If we finish....let's say 7th and Dallas finishes 9th, can we trade picks with Dallas and then Convey to Boston?  I'm thinking no, but I have to ask.

1 minute ago, CarloJ63 said:

If we finish....let's say 7th and Dallas finishes 9th, can we trade picks with Dallas and then Convey to Boston?  I'm thinking no, but I have to ask.

Hmmm, sounds like a crafty strategy but I doubt it would work that way. I'm sure there's some language about original draft position or something to that effect in there that would prevent that. In that scenario, our original draft position would be 7th meaning we wouldn't be able to convery. It's our pick no matter what so we could trade it but it wouldn't convey. I would assume that's the way it works.

I can't say i remember any team doing what you said.

11 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

Why would Dallas do that?

11 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Hmmm, sounds like a crafty strategy but I doubt it would work that way. I'm sure there's some language about original draft position or something to that effect in there that would prevent that. In that scenario, our original draft position would be 7th meaning we wouldn't be able to convery. It's our pick no matter what so we could trade it but it wouldn't convey. I would assume that's the way it works.

I can't say i remember any team doing what you said.

Didn't Dallas trade draft picks last year with ATL to get Luka?

On 4/11/2019 at 1:02 PM, chipc3 said:

I don't know. This is a two part process. If the Grizzlies "win" the flip and get the 9th spot but then get drawn into the 4th spot is that a win or a loss? If the Grizzlies get the 7th spot but the team in the 8th or 9th spot moves up and drops the Grizzlies back is that a win or a loss? 

The coin flip only matters after the lottery. 

I would think they would have to lose to get the 9th pick. 

9 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Didn't Dallas trade draft picks last year with ATL to get Luka?

Yes, I'm confused. What does that have to do with conveying a pick? They traded up to get Luka, sending a future 1st round pick  and as a result their pick was conveyable this year because there are contingencies on their pick for this year. It's lottery protected up to a certain position.

I don't see what that has to do with the proposed scenario of us trading down and somehow conveying our pick.

It's no longer our pick to trade until it's locked in that we can't convey this year. So if we end up at 7th sure we can trade down to 9th but that doesn't convey the pick to Boston.

On top of that we can only trade during draft night because you can't trade your own pick back-to-back years.

http://www.tankathon.com/

I simulated 20 times 

We conveyed 7 times, 8th six times, 4th two times, 3rd two times, 2nd one time, 1st two times

Does this mean the coin toss has happened?

Michael Gallagher: Final lottery positions: 1. Knicks 2. Cavs 3. Suns 4. Bulls 5. Hawks 6. Wizards 7. Pelicans 8. Grizzlies (to BOS top 8 protected) 9. Mavs (to ATL top 5 protected) 10. Wolves 11. Lakers 12. Hornets 13. Heat 14. Kings (to BOS 2-14, 1 to PHI)

4 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Does this mean the coin toss has happened?

Michael Gallagher: Final lottery positions: 1. Knicks 2. Cavs 3. Suns 4. Bulls 5. Hawks 6. Wizards 7. Pelicans 8. Grizzlies (to BOS top 8 protected) 9. Mavs (to ATL top 5 protected) 10. Wolves 11. Lakers 12. Hornets 13. Heat 14. Kings (to BOS 2-14, 1 to PHI)

one web site has the grizzlies picking 7th

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Why would Dallas do that?

I don’t know.  Absolutely nothing in their recent history would support them trading absolutely nothing or a draft pick to move up on spot in the draft.

1 hour ago, CarloJ63 said:

First we cant finish 7th now. Can only move up to 1-4 or move down (if someone below us moves up).

But to answer the general premise, no, Boston owns our pick. Cant trade the pick at all (before the selection is made) and cant convey something else. You cant even trade two future picks in consecutive years. Could only do something like what you suggested if Boston agreed.

2 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

That'll be a stressful NBA Draft Lottery evening; if I remember correctly they unveil the outcome of the lottery in reverse order, so hopefully one of the lower teams jumps up right away and then we can know for certain that we've either conveyed or jumped into the top 4 as well.

By the way, new to the boards after following the Grizzlies since their late Vancouver days. Been reading for years now and excited to finally be a part of the madness here.

A lot of madness over the last 3 days. It also looks to be shaping up as a good off season for madness seekers. Are you in Van (or somewhere else in Canada)? If so, hello fellow Canadian. If not, then take off, eh.

if the Grizzlies can get a break  for the first time  and win the top pick this team would team would improved greatly and most of get national notice GAMES ON ESPN, TNT.XMAS, ABC 

7 hours ago, Dwash said:

First we cant finish 7th now. Can only move up to 1-4 or move down (if someone below us moves up).

But to answer the general premise, no, Boston owns our pick. Cant trade the pick at all (before the selection is made) and cant convey something else. You cant even trade two future picks in consecutive years. Could only do something like what you suggested if Boston agreed.

Is this even for sure true? Where is it stated that we can't pick between 5th-8th if we don't get in the top 4? Everywhere I've seen has listed our chances of picking in the top 4 at some %, but that doesn't necessarily mean we can't pick outside the top 4 and up.

5 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Is this even for sure true? Where is it stated that we can't pick between 5th-8th if we don't get in the top 4? Everywhere I've seen has listed our chances of picking in the top 4 at some %, but that doesn't necessarily mean we can't pick outside the top 4 and up.

The only moves upward are 1-4.  We're slated at 8th.  If we don't make 1-4 we're 8th or lower.

Didnt realize Clippers were trying to convey their pick as well to BOS (#20).   They did it successfully and it shows what a difference a good coach can make because that team wasn't more talented than ours.