Grizzled Vet

Comments from media day..

Today is media day/exit interview day and most players and coaches will speak.

The fact Wallace is speaking indicates that I think he will be back, at least through the draft.

JB will be back.

Looks like my source is wrong or premature. Wallace is staying is what I am hearing now. How much control he'll have over the draft, trades and free agency are unknown at this time. 

48 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Thanks for this thread @grizzledvet

Dang Conley is OUT.   Bet he texting Pera today his list of preferred destinations.     

It sure does sound that way ...

50 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Thanks for this thread @grizzledvet

Dang Conley is OUT.   Bet he texting Pera today his list of preferred destinations.     

Yeah, he definitely seems resigned to this not being his team anymore.

The more competitive Utah is in their series, the better that is for the Grizzlies. They need to think they are a MC away from WC finals.  Ditto for Indiana or Brooklyn.

Even if he returns, I think MC has gone from the guy willing to play with a broken face to a guy who has been disappointed by the Grizzlies to the point that he will start to think for himself first.

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Joerger is basically like the Ricky Davis of coaches. 

To be fair, he's worked in a couple franchises that go through coaches pretty fast. Those that make questionable moves, as well.

I would welcome him again on the sidelines as JB's defensive coach.  I think that is where he will be (as a defensive coach), but not in Memphis, of course.

6 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Yeah, he definitely seems resigned to this not being his team anymore.

The more competitive Utah is in their series, the better that is for the Grizzlies. They need to think they are a MC away from WC finals.  Ditto for Indiana or Brooklyn.

Even if he returns, I think MC has gone from the guy willing to play with a broken face to a guy who has been disappointed by the Grizzlies to the point that he will start to think for himself first.

Yea when a guy says what he says.  I don't want him back.   Especially after CJ talked about how important it is to play with guys you like. 

Only asset Utah has that I want is Donovan Mitchell.   Even their picks suck.   If its the West then its Laker or Bust.  Otherwise send him out East. 

1 minute ago, Grizzled Vet said:

To be fair, he's worked in a couple franchises that go through coaches pretty fast. Those that make questionable moves, as well.

I would welcome him again on the sidelines as JB's defensive coach.  I think that is where he will be (as a defensive coach), but not in Memphis, of course.

JB defense isn't that bad - it's his offense that needs overhaul.     I'd be surprised if Joerger gets another gig.  I am sure Lionel somewhere sipping champagne and having a toast!

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Looks like my source is wrong or premature. Wallace is staying is what I am hearing now. How much control he'll have over the draft, trades and free agency are unknown at this time. 

Looks like I spoke too soon! 

8 hours ago, Gogrizz123 said:

Has Mike Conley spoke yet

why are you not in school if your only 17 

Grizzled Vet, thanks for the links to the interviews. What a crappy Media Day. The interviews are too short - Jaren 15 seconds? CJ 17 seconds, etc. Also the technical quality is horrible. In JV's interview, the audio is so low and background noise is so high, that I could barely understand what he was saying. Why do the media companies even bother to upload this garbage? These interviews look like a totally chaotic scrum. Why don't they set up a table (like for JB's post game interviews) and bring in players (and JB and Wallace) one at a time for a 2-5 minute interview. And use PROFESSIONAL video and audio equipment to do the recordings. Not cell phones or cheapo camcorders which are a joke. Very disappointed. 

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

this is a FRANCHISE were every one in MANAGMENT is way over there heads  the owners SUCK, the gm. SUCKS its  SAD because the kings seem to have a GREAT LOYAL fan base hire the best person, not the person you feel sorry for

7 hours ago, Grizz&Grind said:

I can't tell you which direction we're headed in right now

its the same direction every year 

poor OVER PRICE F.E poor drafting   POOR management  and most of all POOR ownership

24 minutes ago, GameOn said:

Grizzled Vet, thanks for the links to the interviews. What a crappy Media Day. The interviews are too short - Jaren 15 seconds? CJ 17 seconds, etc. Also the technical quality is horrible. In JV's interview, the audio is so low and background noise is so high, that I could barely understand what he was saying. Why do the media companies even bother to upload this garbage? These interviews look like a totally chaotic scrum. Why don't they set up a table (like for JB's post game interviews) and bring in players (and JB and Wallace) one at a time for a 2-5 minute interview. And use PROFESSIONAL video and audio equipment to do the recordings. Not cell phones or cheapo camcorders which are a joke. Very disappointed. 

I am sure they will be higher quality ones on the website....well, except for any involving Wallace or JB, or any that involve a player saying how excited they were to have JB next year....so maybe there won't be any.

I'll say this, I know there is no great way to fire a coach and/or GM, but rolling them out at a media day where they don't know, and them axing them immediately after, well that is pretty crappy.

I legitimately feel bad for JB.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

JB defense isn't that bad - it's his offense that needs overhaul.     I'd be surprised if Joerger gets another gig.  I am sure Lionel somewhere sipping champagne and having a toast!

....on a beer budget!

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Joerger sits out a season (on Sacramento's dime no less) and then makes himself available for the Minnesota job if Saunders doesn't turn things around. Joerger can coach but his relationships with bad front office's leaves a lot to be desired. 

31 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I am sure they will be higher quality ones on the website....well, except for any involving Wallace or JB, or any that involve a player saying how excited they were to have JB next year....so maybe there won't be any.

I'll say this, I know there is no great way to fire a coach and/or GM, but rolling them out at a media day where they don't know, and them axing them immediately after, well that is pretty crappy.

I legitimately feel bad for JB.

Which website would that be?

Agreed about the way this was handled. Seems totally disorganized. Don't the Grizz have a PR department to coordinate all this stuff?