GameOn

Thoughts about the off season "rebuild"

Why is no one talking about the 63 million in expiring contracts this team will have if JV opts in as a major trade capital? And we have Conley to trade on top of that. 

None of those expiring players are part of this teams future with the exception of maybe JV. That puts the Grizzlies in a great spot going into a rebuild. Either trade for young players or sign 2nd tier guys to reasonable contracts to build around JJJ and any young talented guys we can get through trades. 

25 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Why is no one talking about the 63 million in expiring contracts this team will have if JV opts in as a major trade capital? And we have Conley to trade on top of that. 

None of those expiring players are part of this teams future with the exception of maybe JV. That puts the Grizzlies in a great spot going into a rebuild. Either trade for young players or sign 2nd tier guys to reasonable contracts to build around JJJ and any young talented guys we can get through trades. 

No one is talking about it because JV has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to opt in and instead he wants to cash in on his fantastic play at the end of the season, if we trade Conley we will likely take back significant salaries in the process, the team still has to sign Delon Wright who's price tag will likely go up with Conley demanding a trade and his own level of play at the end of the season and the team has not been very successful in using cap space to sign free agents of note. 

33 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

No one is talking about it because JV has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to opt in and instead he wants to cash in on his fantastic play at the end of the season, if we trade Conley we will likely take back significant salaries in the process, the team still has to sign Delon Wright who's price tag will likely go up with Conley demanding a trade and his own level of play at the end of the season and the team has not been very successful in using cap space to sign free agents of note. 

Even if all of those things are true, they would still have over 40 million in expiring contracts (Chandler Parsons 24 million, Avery Bradley 12M, CJ Miles 8M) to move for young players and crap contracts in return. There will be teams willing to attempt to get cap space for next summer when Anthony Davis is available among others. And the Grizzlies would be uniquely positioned to capitalize on it. 

2 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Even if all of those things are true, they would still have over 40 million in expiring contracts (Chandler Parsons 24 million, Avery Bradley 12M, CJ Miles 8M) to move for young players and crap contracts in return. There will be teams willing to attempt to get cap space for next summer when Anthony Davis is available among others. And the Grizzlies would be uniquely positioned to capitalize on it. 

How do you see the team being uniquely qualified to take advantage of Anthony Davis being a free agent? Right now Memphis has $44 million committed already for the 2020-21 season. That's not including a potential top 8 draft pick, Delon Wright or JV being resigned. 

Here are the team's believed to have less money committed in the summer of 2020: Golden State, Cleveland, Charlotte, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Dallas, Brooklyn, Toronto, New York, L A Clippers, Sacramento and Atlanta. Of course, like Memphis, they will have contracts they will want to extend, draft picks to factor in, etc. but Memphis doesn't have a ton of cap space compared to other teams. They are simply in the middle of the pack. 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

How do you see the team being uniquely qualified to take advantage of Anthony Davis being a free agent? 

Right now teams like Boston, Toronto , Portland and Dallas don’t have the cap space to go after him currently. And unless I’ve been blinded by the past, the nba as a whole isn’t going to just allow him to walk to the Lakers. There will be other teams looking to clear cap space and we’ll have the contracts to make that type of deal happen. Or what if Washington wants to blow it up and get rid of horrible contracts like Ian Mahinmi and they’re willing to attach Bradley Beal to make it happen, we have the contracts to make it happen. Expiring contracts are a commodity in the NBA and the grizzlies have, probably by accident, stockpiled them for next season. 

5 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Right now teams like Boston, Toronto , Portland and Dallas don’t have the cap space to go after him currently. And unless I’ve been blinded by the past, the nba as a whole isn’t going to just allow him to walk to the Lakers. There will be other teams looking to clear cap space and we’ll have the contracts to make that type of deal happen. Or what if Washington wants to blow it up and get rid of horrible contracts like Ian Mahinmi and they’re willing to attach Bradley Beal to make it happen, we have the contracts to make it happen. Expiring contracts are a commodity in the NBA and the grizzlies have, probably by accident, stockpiled them for next season. 

The Grizzlies don't  have the cap space to go after him currently and those teams, outside of Portland, will have more cap space in the summer of 2020. The NBA can't do anything about an unrestricted free agent taking less money to play where he wants to play. 

Memphis may be able to shuffle off expiring contracts next season but they have to take back matching salaries with any team over the salary cap (which is usually most teams). Why would the Grizzlies want to get rid of expiring contracts for overpaid players from other teams which likely will  be longer term as well? 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies don't  have the cap space to go after him currently and those teams, outside of Portland, will have more cap space in the summer of 2020. The NBA can't do anything about an unrestricted free agent taking less money to play where he wants to play. 

Memphis may be able to shuffle off expiring contracts next season but they have to take back matching salaries with any team over the salary cap (which is usually most teams). Why would the Grizzlies want to get rid of expiring contracts for overpaid players from other teams which likely will  be longer term as well? 

The grizzlies would send out expiring and take back bad contracts along with assets, ie. what Brooklyn did to get Deangelo Russell. But if you disagree just say you disagree. But you can’t debate that teams send future picks and young talent to get off of bad contracts 

3 minutes ago, King Dork said:

The grizzlies would send out expiring and take back bad contracts along with assets, ie. what Brooklyn did to get Deangelo Russell. But if you disagree just say you disagree. But you can’t debate that teams send future picks and young talent to get off of bad contracts 

I don't disagree. I just can't see why fans of the Grizzlies should be discussing sending future picks and young talent to get off a bad contract while already having to give Boston a first round pick sometime in the next three years from doing exactly what you are proposing now. 

You initiated this discussion asking why people aren't talking about this scenario. I hope I have given you good reasons why they aren't.

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't disagree. I just can't see why fans of the Grizzlies should be discussing sending future picks and young talent to get off a bad contract while already having to give Boston a first round pick sometime in the next three years from doing exactly what you are proposing now. 

You initiated this discussion asking why people aren't talking about this scenario. I hope I have given you good reasons why they aren't.

I’m talking about us sending expiring contracts to teams that send us back picks to get rid of their own bad contracts. Us being the Boston not the Grizzlies of the past. Why would we not want to be in that situation?

5 minutes ago, King Dork said:

I’m talking about us sending expiring contracts to teams that send us back picks to get rid of their own bad contracts. Us being the Boston not the Grizzlies of the past. Why would we not want to be in that situation?

You asked a question. I answered it. You changed the question and I answered it too. Now you are changing the question again. 

The problem with your new scenario is you have the Grizzlies trading away big contracts to accept bad contracts and future draft picks. Wouldn't it make more sense to let they expiring contracts walk and rebuild that way? Why should the Grizzlies, a cash strapped franchise in the league's smallest market, deliberately take on bad contracts for expiring contracts? 

To answer your original question again, I believe that in the summer of 2020 if JV has opted into his contract this summer, Delon has accepted his QO, Conley hasn't been traded, Parsons and Miles are still on the roster and expiring, Anthony Davis hasn't been traded and accepted a long term deal with a glamour team then we will be talking a lot about the team's upcoming cap space and what they need to do. I just don't believe it is a timely topic today.  

That's all I have to say. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I give up. You asked a question. I answered it. You changed the question and I answered it too. Now you are changing the question again. Find someone else to talk to about your fantasy scenario. 

I believe that in the summer of 2020 if JV has opted into his contract this summer, Delon has accepted his QO, Conley hasn't been traded, Parsons and Miles are still on the roster and expiring, Anthony Davis hasn't been traded and accepted a long term deal with a glamour team then we will be talking a lot about the team's upcoming cap space and what they need to do. I just don't believe it is a timely topic today.  

And I believe the Grizzlies having cap space is useless because all they’ll get is a washed Chandler Parsons or a mediocre Kyle Anderson because this is not a destination franchise, so the summer of 2019 and the 2019-2020 season are the time to use all of the players on the last year of their deals as trade chips. Which makes it a timely topic. But I to give up

I think Parsons' expiring especially will be worth something at least. Problem is the players that match salary and whose teams would be willing to trade for Parsons is probably a short list. 

Gordon Hayward has one extra year than Parsons @ 34 mil. I feel like he is realistic if Boston needs that space for a big free agent splash year after next. 

Kevin Love would possibly make sense but i don't like it from the Grizz standpoint AT ALL (too many years of crazy money)

Batum would make sense

Eric Bledsoe? Dennis Schroeder? Waiters? Marcus Smart? 

I'm not sure we'll be able to swing anything for Parsons that isn't Batum or Hayward (that's looking at single players that make sense with the salary numbers)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html (sort by 2019-2020 salary)

It seems to me that if a team wants to send us a player with salary comparable to Parsons' then they will send us a player that has multiple years on that deal and they think he is over paid....thus the reason for getting off of that salary and freeing up cap space to take another swing.

Situationally, this may be a means for the Grizz to get an advantageous player.  But more likely they are taking a cast off player who is underperforming his contract and now on the Grizz books for multiple years.  

It seems those that want to take the trade Parsons' for a player route don't have confidence in the FO's ability to identify or attract a player who would perform at the level expected for a player on Parson's contract.