GameOn

Thoughts about the off season "rebuild"

On 4/13/2019 at 8:00 AM, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I sure don't see MC wanting to come back after he spoke so highly of JB.

Mike Conley made his statements BEFORE he knew JB got fired.

Most of his statements alluded to leaving for a contender team, and looking after himself, and not wanting to be in a "rebuild"

But you would know that, you watched the interviews right?

7 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Philly: trust the process and all are getting waxed by a team with no first round picks for 6 years.

Lol, this board wants to model a rebuild after the sixers?

brett brown will be the next coach fired you can take that for data 

5 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Mike Conley made his statements BEFORE he knew JB got fired.

Most of his statements alluded to leaving for a contender team, and looking after himself, and not wanting to be in a "rebuild"

But you would know that, you watched the interviews right?

mike should be traded he is coming off his BEST year  the grizzlies are  not going to win any  time soon and he will be 32 years old . big problem makes over 30 million a year and his age , we will see how good our new management does with this one 

Conley is getting paid 25+million for the next two years. What is he gonna do? Not play? This is the first semi-healthy year he's had in years. I wouldn't grade him for peanuts. We have leverage. Utah is definitely gonna be after his services. A couple of teams are. Don't let teams fleece us. We have shooters finally. We have to get our bigs resigned, but I like our squad. 

14 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Philly: trust the process and all are getting waxed by a team with no first round picks for 6 years.

Nope.  Brooklyn should be our example of how to build a winner.

I think that conley will be moving and that throws such a wrench into the situation. it’s about impossible to predict what all that could mean for the draft, fa, and additional moves. 

chip has mentioned an interesting theory- if k irving leaves boston, then they could show a great deal of interest in conley. their cupboard is stocked with young talent so one could envision a conley move nullifying conveying our pick. the fo would have to insist on taking away the pick burden if conley were to be moved to boston.

what if we land the 1 spot? would that change conley’s thinking about his future? would the fo want conley to stay no matter the scenario? if we landed zion, does this organization believe we’d have a shot with this group within the next 2 seasons? 

I believe I’d be looking very hard at moving conley no matter the scenario. although, conley, zion, jjj, me and you would be an incredible team. fun to dream. the league would not frown upon pairing jjj and zion- not that the league would or ever could have a hand in such matters. 

slim. 

13 hours ago, f-dizzle said:

Conley is getting paid 32+million for the next two years. What is he gonna do? Not play? This is the first semi-healthy year he's had in years. I wouldn't grade him for peanuts. We have leverage. Utah is definitely gonna be after his services. A couple of teams are. Don't let teams fleece us. We have shooters finally. We have to get our bigs resigned, but I like our squad. 

Fixed.

This makes any moves even tougher.

3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Fixed.

This makes any moves even tougher.

Mike made it even tougher to keep leverage in a trade when he indicated that he wants to leave. Duh. Why didn't he just keep his thoughts to himself? He's not helping himself nor the Grizzlies by making public comments.

4 hours ago, memphis slim said:

I think that conley will be moving and that throws such a wrench into the situation. it’s about impossible to predict what all that could mean for the draft, fa, and additional moves. 

chip has mentioned an interesting theory- if k irving leaves boston, then they could show a great deal of interest in conley. their cupboard is stocked with young talent so one could envision a conley move nullifying conveying our pick. the fo would have to insist on taking away the pick burden if conley were to be moved to boston.

what if we land the 1 spot? would that change conley’s thinking about his future? would the fo want conley to stay no matter the scenario? if we landed zion, does this organization believe we’d have a shot with this group within the next 2 seasons? 

I believe I’d be looking very hard at moving conley no matter the scenario. although, conley, zion, jjj, me and you would be an incredible team. fun to dream. the league would not frown upon pairing jjj and zion- not that the league would or ever could have a hand in such matters. 

slim. 

Yep the pick situation will be the second shoe (first shoe was JB and Wallace) to drop to determine the real direction of rebuild.   

6 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Nope.  Brooklyn should be our example of how to build a winner.

This is funny. Cause Brooklyn copied Philly to an extent. Stopped spending money and traded for bad contracts in order to obtain assets. The difference is they didn't all out tank because they were never going to make the pick.

20 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Philly did it right...under Hinkie. That is where there core was built. Then they rushed it when they fired Hinkie. Jimmy Butler is either their best player or second best player, depending on your view poiint. But both Embiid and Simmons have higher ceilings than Butler. The problem is all four of Phiily's best players (Harris being fourth) operate at their best in the same areas. The rush to add more "star talent" around Embiid and Simmons ignored fit. Everyone wants to be the Warriors but ignores the fact that all of the Warriors star players compliment each other. The Sixers are too much overlap. As far as the hating on the "process," that ended when they fired Hinkie. What you are hating is the opposite of the process; you're hating the haste.

Also don't forget that Embiid is injured.

24 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

This is funny. Cause Brooklyn copied Philly to an extent. Stopped spending money and traded for bad contracts in order to obtain assets. The difference is they didn't all out tank because they were never going to make the pick.

Philly did it right...under Hinkie. That is where there core was built. Then they rushed it when they fired Hinkie. Jimmy Butler is either their best player or second best player, depending on your view poiint. But both Embiid and Simmons have higher ceilings than Butler. The problem is all four of Phiily's best players (Harris being fourth) operate at their best in the same areas. The rush to add more "star talent" around Embiid and Simmons ignored fit. Everyone wants to be the Warriors but ignores the fact that all of the Warriors star players compliment each other. The Sixers are too much overlap. As far as the hating on the "process," that ended when they fired Hinkie. What you are hating is the opposite of the process; you're hating the haste.

Also don't forget that Embiid is injured.

Again.

If he were on the Grizzlies he'd be considered injury prone.  Since he's on another team he'd be a huge asset for the Grizzlies.  JV has been called injury prone by some posters on these boards, but he has answered the call for 85% of the games since coming into the league.  Embiid, on the other hand, has played in less than 39% of possible games, yet I have no doubt a huge number of posters on these boards would love to have him on the Grizzlies, and some of them would be the same posters calling JV injury prone.

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Again.

If he were on the Grizzlies he'd be considered injury prone.  Since he's on another team he'd be a huge asset for the Grizzlies.  JV has been called injury prone by some posters on these boards, but he has answered the call for 85% of the games since coming into the league.  Embiid, on the other hand, has played in less than 39% of possible games, yet I have no doubt a huge number of posters on these boards would love to have him on the Grizzlies, and some of them would be the same posters calling JV injury prone.

Embiid is injury prone. I don't think anyone has ever said otherwise. He's also a top ten player in the league, maybe even top five. Would I love him on the Grizzlies? Absolutely. At any price? No. The last two seasons he has played 63 and 64 games. Conley's career average per season? 65. This season for Conley? 70. Let's not act like our best player isn't injury prone already.

7 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Embiid is injury prone. I don't think anyone has ever said otherwise. He's also a top ten player in the league, maybe even top five. Would I love him on the Grizzlies? Absolutely. At any price? No. The last two seasons he has played 63 and 64 games. Conley's career average per season? 65. This season for Conley? 70. Let's not act like our best player isn't injury prone already.

Since you left off Embiid's worst injury seasons wouldn't it be fair to leave off Conley's worst also?  The fact is that Conley has played in over 81% of possible regular season games, Embiid less than 39%.

Danuel House is in a unique situation where it will be tough for the Rockets to match any offer than exceeds the taxpayer MLE of about 5.4 million. I hope we take a look at him.

18 hours ago, memphis slim said:

slim. 

If Irving leaves Boston, they might be better off keeping Tatum, Brown and Rozier and those young guys and all the draft picks they have and use their cap space to sign a couple of solid FAs. Getting an aging Mike Conley for 2 years is not going to help them much. LAL, on the other hand, seems to be a perfect fit. Bron needs to win next season. Conley would be the third star on that team. 

Regardless of what happens with our draft pick, whether or not we land Zion, I still think Mike should be gone. He's already gone, he wants to have a shot at the title, have a shot at being an All-Star, and all these things will never happen here.

We'll see what the outcome is on May 14. If we land the top 3 pick or convey the pick, we should be fine. If we have #4 or 8, we would be in a much tougher situation. 

5 hours ago, Dwash said:

Danuel House is in a unique situation where it will be tough for the Rockets to match any offer than exceeds the taxpayer MLE of about 5.4 million. I hope we take a look at him.

Good call

I've liked him since the first time he played against us, and was hoping our FO would be looking closely at him when he was moved back down to the G league

On 4/13/2019 at 7:45 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

Trust the Process

I like that in theory but does anyone know the process we are supposed to trust? 

19 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Since you left off Embiid's worst injury seasons wouldn't it be fair to leave off Conley's worst also?  The fact is that Conley has played in over 81% of possible regular season games, Embiid less than 39%.

Sure. Conley's new career average after leaving out last year is 69. Huge difference. I am glad that is what you took from that. I specifically said Embiid was injury prone. I was just pointing out that the last two years he has kept pace with Conley's career. 

6 hours ago, Grizball said:

Regardless of what happens with our draft pick, whether or not we land Zion, I still think Mike should be gone. He's already gone, he wants to have a shot at the title, have a shot at being an All-Star, and all these things will never happen here.

I disagree with this. If the pick is not conveyed, only trade Conley if you get a fair return. The pick has to be conveyed as soon as possible. 2021 has the chance to be a loaded draft and giving away an unprotected first round pick would be a disaster.

6 hours ago, Grizball said:

If Irving leaves Boston, they might be better off keeping Tatum, Brown and Rozier and those young guys and all the draft picks they have and use their cap space to sign a couple of solid FAs. Getting an aging Mike Conley for 2 years is not going to help them much. LAL, on the other hand, seems to be a perfect fit. Bron needs to win next season. Conley would be the third star on that team. 

Nah Conley fits in BOS because they are paying Hayward and Horford a buttload of money.   They are in "win-now" mode just like Lakers, 76ers, Rockets, and Warriors.    They also don't really want to have to pay Rozier after just paying Smart.    That's why they are going hard after Davis.   If they strike out on both AD and Kyrie then look for them to target Conley or Kemba.   Conley makes more sense because he is better defender and can play off ball.  Plus they won't be locked into his contract longterm like they would need to with Kemba. 

If Lakers get AD then they really won't have anything to offer to get Conley.  All their assets will be with NOP.   Only way Conley becomes a Laker is if they strike out with Ant Davis, Kawhi, and Kyrie. 

I say its a 70% chance Mike ends up out East. 

21 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Again.

✔️

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I like that in theory but does anyone know the process we are supposed to trust? 

The process is still TBD, but still trust it.

Part of the process will be to remove the next coach in 2-4 seasons.