GameOn

Thoughts about the off season "rebuild"

On 4/10/2019 at 10:54 PM, Rdk4121 said:

It would have to be a team that is rebuilding that has a max player that doesn't fit their timeline. The only person(s) I see around the league would be either Kevin Love or Batum but I wouldn't want him. Another option is 2 people on 10-15 million dollar contracts. A combination of Olynyk, Waiters, and Johnson would work, or a combination of John Henson, Tristan Thompson, JR Smith, and Matthew Delleladova would work as well. I'd only want to get Love out of that group, maybe Thompson could help us out as well. Other than that, you are probably right in saying it would be better to just ride it out. I want to waive him (not stretch) because he takes a roster space and having him around and not playing would only be a detriment to the team. 

If you waive him you still have to pay him AND the player you get to take his spot.  Make it tough when you're close to the tax.

23 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

With Conley likely gone Carter becomes more valuable (plus he is already signed).     Dorsey and Holiday are UFA i can see FO bringing back one - its just a matter of which one worth it. 

When I checked Memphis' team salary they don't show Carter being signed for next season.

2 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

When I checked Memphis' team salary they don't show Carter being signed for next season.

Three year deals with a team option every year is traditional for 2nd round picks 

21 hours ago, Allen said:

Why would a rebuilding team pick a 30 year old over a 23 year old? I don’t understand what you guys are trying to accomplish 

Every team has some veteran players, even rebuilding teams.  The object is to get get young players who are better, or at least have significant potetial to be better than the vets.  If they're not better stick with the vets if their contract is ok.

22 hours ago, Grizz&Grind said:

We still haven't even seen Jaren and Jonas play together for any significant stretch.

To me, I'm interested in keeping this core over the summer:

Jonas
Jaren
Slomo
Bruno
Dillon
Delon

Not against these players, but not tied to them either - if they are back, fine, if not, also fine:

Dorsey
Jevon
Zeller
Noah
Miles
Avery
Holiday
Parsons
Rabb
Yuta

Obviously you now trade Conley for what you can get.

So you would trade Conley for a single 2nd round pick?

Or the 22nd pick in the first round in 2019?

I disagree.   Trade Conley only if it clearly benefits the team, and 2 late first round picks and the equivalent to a Wade Baldwin (late first rounder youngster that hasn't cracked the team's lineup) isn't worth it.

I also would like to see what the new coach thinks of Conley and what Conley thinks of new coach.

What if the Grizzlies win the lottery and can draft Zion?

I'm completely open on what to do with Conley.  If Zach (new guy) did the trade with Gasol, I'd be fine with him dealing Conley.

But I'm also open to Conley staying depending on what else happens this summer.

25 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Three year deals with a team option every year is traditional for 2nd round picks 

Maybe I wasn't seeing good information but It didn't show any options on Carter, but did for the other players with options.

2 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Maybe I wasn't seeing good information but It didn't show any options on Carter, but did for the other players with options.

I've seen that on Hoopshype. I guess they couldn't confirm it so they went with what they had but I am sure the team has Carter's option. 

2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I disagree.   Trade Conley only if it clearly benefits the team, and 2 late first round picks and the equivalent to a Wade Baldwin (late first rounder youngster that hasn't cracked the team's lineup) isn't worth it.

I also would like to see what the new coach thinks of Conley and what Conley thinks of new coach.

I'm completely open on what to do with Conley.  If Zach (new guy) did the trade with Gasol, I'd be fine with him deAgreed aling Conley.

Agree on this.  I don't think we should move Conley unless we get fair return.

Just now, chipc3 said:

I've seen that on Hoopshype. I guess they couldn't confirm it so they went with what they had but I am sure the team has Carter's option. 

I'm not sure but I think it may have been Hoopshype that I was looking at.  It seemed unusual to me so I'm not doubting you.

6 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Kudos to him for making a quick decision and not leaving the organization in limbo about what he would do.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm completely open on what to do with Conley.  If Zach (new guy) did the trade with Gasol, I'd be fine with him dealing Conley.

I meant more along the lines of they're going to trade him, so we have to see what the return is before we make further roster judgments.

I'd be shocked if he's on the opening day roster next year.

The Celtics would be an interesting trade partner but if they lose Kyrie Irving then they might just do a full rebuild.  But they do have picks at 12 and 19 which would be nice.

If the Nuggets don't get far enough in the playoffs then maybe they look at Conley.

3 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

The Celtics would be an interesting trade partner but if they lose Kyrie Irving then they might just do a full rebuild.  But they do have picks at 12 and 19 which would be nice.

Why would they need to do a full rebuild???     They still have Tatum, Brown,  Horford, Hayward and Smart plus a buttload of picks to trade for another good player.    

1 hour ago, Grizz&Grind said:

I meant more along the lines of they're going to trade him, so we have to see what the return is before we make further roster judgments.

I'd be shocked if he's on the opening day roster next year.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was on the opening day roster.  After all, there aren't very many teams which could afford him and need him.  Kinda lessens the chances a bit.

On 4/11/2019 at 12:23 PM, Grizz&Grind said:

We still haven't even seen Jaren and Jonas play together for any significant stretch.

To me, I'm interested in keeping this core over the summer:

Jonas
Jaren
Slomo
Bruno
Dillon
Delon

Not against these players, but not tied to them either - if they are back, fine, if not, also fine:

Dorsey
Jevon
Zeller
Noah
Miles
Avery
Holiday
Parsons
Rabb
Yuta

Obviously you now trade Conley for what you can get.

+1 this is exactly what I think.

6 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I sure don't see MC wanting to come back after he spoke so highly of JB.

Our rebuild all depends on where we will pick. We have a 57.4% chance of having a pick and 42.6% of conveying. It also hinges on the return we will get from a Conley trade. I think LAL is a real possibility. Many experts think they won’t be able to sign any big name FA or get AD. Zo and Ingram are recovering from injuries and this will  have a negative impact on their trade value. I think the Lakers realise that too and will act quickly to trade for guys within their reach. Mike should definitely be a candidate. Only two more years left on his deal and will expire at the same time as Bron’s deal expire. My guess is Zo or Ingram and/or their 2019 1st round pick is possible to get. But no matter what we do, this rebuild is going to take another 2-3 years at least. We are probably going to be one of the worst teams if not the worst in the West next season.

14 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

... or at least that's your hope.:lol:

No, he was bragging on JB then for him to come back after he gets fired would be like stabbing JB in the back but hey a guy' got to do what he has to do and if there are no one wanting him or his big contract I suppose Memphis wouldn't be so bad after all, he'd do that for the Grizz, yeah, uh huh, whatever you say.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

I hope this new front office is smart and creative with massive amount of expiring money we have to play with this summer. 

Watching Nets slice up the Sixers.    There offense is crafted around floor spacing and having multiple guys (w/size) that can handle, dish and drive.     Having a team full of guys like that with Jaren in the middle would be tough to stop.  

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Watching Nets slice up the Sixers.    There offense is crafted around floor spacing and having multiple guys (w/size) that can handle, dish and drive.     Having a team full of guys like that with Jaren in the middle would be tough to stop.  

The opponent needs to be understood. The sixers have no backcourt that can deal with brooklyn and levert and Spencer D. 

Embiid is killing philly's chances.