GameOn

Thoughts about the off season "rebuild"

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Gradey said:

Everything Mike has said since the trade deadline has been pretty clear that he is done here IMO.  Not that he quit the team but ready to move along.

Some of you guys are a good bit more optimistic about the shot at conveying next season...I sure hope you are right but I'm not seeing it yet.  I think we are going to convey in 21 and its going to seriously suck.  Hopefully I'm just being overly pessimistic....we are due some good breaks you'd think.

Right, so most likely  we are going to keep pick and lose Conley.     This is basically in route  to worst case scenario in a lot of ppls minds.   

18 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I dont see it at all without Conley and it pains me. Right now it would take one less win to miss bottom 6 than it would bottom 8. So this team with JV and no Conley is gonna pull off the same amount of wins? I really dont see it 

Question is what should the next move be?   Trade Conley for future assets or pull another Marc type deal for legit players to make a push?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

The problem is we will never be a free agent destination. We are always either going to have to overpay (like we will have to do to get Jaylen brown) or sign someone that has obvious flaws (like Parsons health). Look at the way Indiana built themselves. A bunch of mid level guys, two stars acquired via trade for a star who didn't want to be there, and one draft pick in there rotation. Same thing pretty much for the Clippers, and they are even in LA. Heck even philly only has two guys they drafted that are even starting. 

We can hope we hit on a bunch of mid level free agents like JV, Delon, and Avery, but those 3 were also acquired via trade anyway. Or we can try to leverage our only "valuable" asset we have: A max level expiring deal. 

I do get what you are saying, but given we aren't a free agent destination, and we haven't typically had luck with draft picks, we got to try something else. 

No one will trade us players like the ones you are speaking of.  Why on earth would they?  They would be far better off keeping the ones they have.

With Parsons off the books we might be able to absorb a reasonably high paid veteran like we did with Zach Randolph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CoolHandGriz said:

I would only trade Parsons for a high upside young player to a team looking for expirings.

The trouble is that I don't expect us to get that opportunity.  We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

No one will trade us players like the ones you are speaking of.  Why on earth would they?  They would be far better off keeping the ones they have.

With Parsons off the books we might be able to absorb a reasonably high paid veteran like we did with Zach Randolph.

Depends how bad they want to get off their contract. What exactly is the difference between absorbing a contact and trading an expiring? If someone is willing to get rid of a player and get nothing I'm return, I can't imagine why they would care if they take Parsons for a year if they have to wait another year to trade said player. It's essentially the same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Depends how bad they want to get off their contract. What exactly is the difference between absorbing a contact and trading an expiring? If someone is willing to get rid of a player and get nothing I'm return, I can't imagine why they would care if they take Parsons for a year if they have to wait another year to trade said player. It's essentially the same thing. 

To me it seems that some posters are anxious to get off Parsons' contract to the point of accepting several mediocre players for him.  This would do more damage than help.  We aren't going to get any good players for him.  If we wait until his contract expires we will be in control.

If we get a quality player without getting another albatross along with him I'll eat a plate of crow.  I'm just not seeing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading Mike make sense only if we got in return some great player in the same kind of deal we make with Marc. Trading Mike for only pikcs will be plain stupid and garantee that we will have years of low quality team. This is not what i want as a fan.

 

For Parsons, nobody will be dumb enough to take him. Keep him one more year and then financial situation will be much better and allow to get some good free agent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Trading Mike make sense only if we got in return some great player in the same kind of deal we make with Marc. Trading Mike for only pikcs will be plain stupid and garantee that we will have years of low quality team. This is not what i want as a fan.

 

For Parsons, nobody will be dumb enough to take him. Keep him one more year and then financial situation will be much better and allow to get some good free agent. 

Parsons' contract takes up 20% of team cap space. But yeah, who would want him. Looks like we are stuck with a grossly overpaid bench player for 1 more year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

To me it seems that some posters are anxious to get off Parsons' contract to the point of accepting several mediocre players for him.  This would do more damage than help.  We aren't going to get any good players for him.  If we wait until his contract expires we will be in control.

If we get a quality player without getting another albatross along with him I'll eat a plate of crow.  I'm just not seeing it.

It would have to be a team that is rebuilding that has a max player that doesn't fit their timeline. The only person(s) I see around the league would be either Kevin Love or Batum but I wouldn't want him. Another option is 2 people on 10-15 million dollar contracts. A combination of Olynyk, Waiters, and Johnson would work, or a combination of John Henson, Tristan Thompson, JR Smith, and Matthew Delleladova would work as well. I'd only want to get Love out of that group, maybe Thompson could help us out as well. Other than that, you are probably right in saying it would be better to just ride it out. I want to waive him (not stretch) because he takes a roster space and having him around and not playing would only be a detriment to the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

The problem is we will never be a free agent destination. We are always either going to have to overpay (like we will have to do to get Jaylen brown) or sign someone that has obvious flaws (like Parsons health). Look at the way Indiana built themselves. A bunch of mid level guys, two stars acquired via trade for a star who didn't want to be there, and one draft pick in there rotation. Same thing pretty much for the Clippers, and they are even in LA. Heck even philly only has two guys they drafted that are even starting. 

We can hope we hit on a bunch of mid level free agents like JV, Delon, and Avery, but those 3 were also acquired via trade anyway. Or we can try to leverage our only "valuable" asset we have: A max level expiring deal. 

I do get what you are saying, but given we aren't a free agent destination, and we haven't typically had luck with draft picks, we got to try something else. 

You still need capspace to sign mid-level talent as well, can't even overpay a star either.  It's still a necessity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Trading Mike make sense only if we got in return some great player in the same kind of deal we make with Marc. Trading Mike for only pikcs will be plain stupid and garantee that we will have years of low quality team. This is not what i want as a fan.

 

For Parsons, nobody will be dumb enough to take him. Keep him one more year and then financial situation will be much better and allow to get some good free agent. 

Can't just trade Mike for picks,  we'll have to absorb some salary in return 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Can't just trade Mike for picks,  we'll have to absorb some salary in return 

Not necessarily. Teams with cap space this summer(Lakers/Clippers) can fit him in to their max slot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I wonder if BOS would be interested in Conley as Kyrie backup plan.    Jaylen + Rozier + our pick back for Conley pretty much solves ALL of our problems in one swoop.   I'd rather do that then send Conley to the Lakers or to help any team in the West. 

Rozier/Delon/Jevon

Brown/Dillon/CJ

Hunter/Bruno/Parsons

Jaren/SloMo/Rabb

Jonas/Zeller or Noah

 

I don't know if you are daydreaming or having hallucinations, there is no way in the world Kyrie will play with MC with MC making more money than he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

If Conley is traded to a team in the West, I would say that is OK as the Grizzlies won't be competing for playoff spots in the next couple years.

I think Boston or Lakers make the most sense.  I think Utah is a little out of the picture.  Clippers, Nets, and Pacers also make sense and/or have significant cap space.

It will be a BIG surprise to me if MC isn't in Memphis next year playing for the Grizz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Holidayinn21 said:

Not necessarily. Teams with cap space this summer(Lakers/Clippers) can fit him in to their max slot

What are we getting in return? Young players or draft picks,  or both? I'd take Ingram and a first 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

There is also this:

 

 

Well I hate to tell Peter the Pump

 

18 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

There is also this:

 

 

I would say that 150M contract  probably wasn't what was best for the Grizz or MC because even though he got a ton of money, now he wants to cry because there wasn't enough money left to be able to get players who could help the Grizz win more and now that contract may prevent him from going elsewhere because no other team may want to invest that much money in him. HE ISN'T WORTH IT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I don't know if you are daydreaming or having hallucinations, there is no way in the world Kyrie will play with MC with MC making more money than he does.

Reread it.    The scenario revolves around Kyrie leaving the Celtics.     If anything C's probably won't be willing to give up Jaylen Brown.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Reread it.    The scenario revolves around Kyrie leaving the Celtics.     If anything C's probably won't be willing to give up Jaylen Brown.  

Yeah I did misread it but the Cs wouldn't give up give up what you are asking for, not even close. I wonder if BOS would be interested in Conley as Kyrie backup plan.    Jaylen + Rozier + our pick back for Conley pretty much solves ALL of our problems in one swoop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on where we stand now, looks like this is what we have returning:

  • PG: Avery Bradley
  • SG: Delon Wright, Dillon Brooks, CJ Miles
  • SF: Kyle Anderson, Chandler Parsons
  • PF: Jaren Jackson, Bruno Caboclo
  • C: Jonas Valanciunas, Ivan Rabb

Honestly, I don't see this as a horrible core.  We should get some additional support from trading Conley and will fill any gaps through draft/free agency.  We may be somewhat limited on cap space unless we're able to return less than what we give up in the Conley trade.   This isn't a playoff team, but I doubt we'd get run off the court

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dwash said:

I dont see it at all without Conley and it pains me. Right now it would take one less win to miss bottom 6 than it would bottom 8. So this team with JV and no Conley is gonna pull off the same amount of wins? I really dont see it 

Have you noticed the ball movement when Delon is in the game compared to what it is when MC is in the game? Plus the Grizz will have 3J back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Yeah I did misread it but the Cs wouldn't give up give up what you are asking for, not even close. I wonder if BOS would be interested in Conley as Kyrie backup plan.    Jaylen + Rozier + our pick back for Conley pretty much solves ALL of our problems in one swoop. 

Yea its a fantasy  but it would def be Best Case Scenario.    They would prob push Hayward off on us and not give us Brown.   I don't want Gordon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea its a fantasy  but it would def be Best Case Scenario.    They would prob push Hayward off on us and not give us Brown.   I don't want Gordon. 

Why?  Because he looks kinda sorta like Parsons?

Doesn't mean he's going to be like Parsons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another important Caveat that people aren't taking into account during this forced Rebuild.      Memphis reputation has to be at an All Time Low.      Conley interview shows that he clearly isn't pleased with Organization and will force his way out.    Chandler was at war with Org for majority of season and his tenure.    FO basically ticked off its most beloved franchise players.      Who exactly is going to want to sign with us??   Chandler may be a sucky player but dude is pretty well liked throughout the league.    So is Conley.    These guys all talk so you better believe FA's will only come here on a serious overpay. 

If Pera was any type of owner he would immediately make FO changes.   Just to regain confidence from fanbase and ACTUAL NBA players back in the franchise.   FO reputation is in the bottom of the toilet.  

We really have no choice but to do everything to retain Jonas, Delon, and even Noah.    Just to rebuild the good will of NBA players.   Jaren isn't going to want to stay with a franchise that treated its most decorated players like trash.    Gasol and Marc both left on sour notes while he was here.   That leaves an impression.  

Pera needs to get off his yazz if he cares at all about his "toy" he needs to make a big change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Why?  Because he looks kinda sorta like Parsons?

Doesn't mean he's going to be like Parsons.

LOL nah I always liked Gordon more than Parsons.    I just don't want to trade Mike for another guy with a contract his size at his age.    We all know Gordon wouldn't want to be in Memphis too (he wants bright lights).   Plus i am scared to death of guys coming off horrific injuries. 

I want the next guy we pay that much to have earned it in a Grizz uni (Jaren).   Plus i want the capspace to be able to go after Malik or Jaylen.  Gordon's deal runs to 2021-22.   Delon and Jonas deals plus Hayward would kill all our flexibility when we are aiming to be relevant again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Another important Caveat that people aren't taking into account during this forced Rebuild.      Memphis reputation has to be at an All Time Low.      Conley interview shows that he clearly isn't pleased with Organization and will force his way out.    Chandler was at war with Org for majority of season and his tenure.    FO basically ticked off its most beloved franchise players.      Who exactly is going to want to sign with us??   Chandler may be a sucky player but dude is pretty well liked throughout the league.    So is Conley.    These guys all talk so you better believe FA's will only come here on a serious overpay. 

If Pera was any type of owner he would immediately make FO changes.   Just to regain confidence from fanbase and ACTUAL NBA players back in the franchise.   FO reputation is in the bottom of the toilet.  

We really have no choice but to do everything to retain Jonas, Delon, and even Noah.    Just to rebuild the good will of NBA players.   Jaren isn't going to want to stay with a franchise that treated its most decorated players like trash.    Gasol and Marc both left on sour notes while he was here.   That leaves an impression.  

Pera needs to get off his yazz if he cares at all about his "toy" he needs to make a big change. 

You say it all. Pera got the solution. If he dont make any change, then we probaly stuck for years of mediocrity and i doubt that JJJ our best asset will enjoy it. AS you say Jonas, Delon, Noah won't stay only for money. they will look closely at the project. What is the project and who manage it? Pera should be wise to clarify things and send strongs signals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Legit Question:

Who would you choose:  Holiday or Dorsey for next 2 years?  

Dorsey is younger and fits in with Jaren's window and offers some ballhandling and passing.      Holiday is better defender (by miles) and more versatile player and better shooter.   Holiday is who he is and is age 30.    Team looks like this so far. 

  • PG: Delon Wright, Jevon Carter
  • SG: Avery Bradley,  CJ Miles
  • SF: Kyle Anderson, Dillon Brooks,
  • PF: Jaren Jackson, Bruno Caboclo, Chandler Parsons
  • C Jonas Valanciunas, Ivan Rabb

Personally, i am starting to lean more towards keeping Justin especially if we keep our pick.    His jumpshot is more dependable and his defense.   He is much better defending guards than forwards but wasn't able to do that due to injuries.    With Conley gone i think we need more actual NBA players on the roster.    Dorsey is a project and would be end of rotation guy at best.   His defense is horrendous and doesn't project to improve.   Jaren, Bruno, Dillon, Kyle, and Pick will be more than enough youth to develop so i won't lose sleep over Dorsey.    I'd rather give his spot to young PG.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now