GameOn

Thoughts about the off season "rebuild"

A three year rebuild can only be started if you don't owe another team your first round draft pick. 

2 hours ago, GameOn said:

Good article today, titled: "The Grizzlies don't need a traditional rebuild (and that is fine)". Link:   https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2019/4/10/18300637/the-grizzlies-dont-need-a-traditional-rebuild-nba-memphis

Great article and perfectly sums up my viewpoint as well.   Its ridiculous to think the only way to get to championship contention is tanking when there are tons of evidence to the contrary. 

I wonder if BOS would be interested in Conley as Kyrie backup plan.    Jaylen + Rozier + our pick back for Conley pretty much solves ALL of our problems in one swoop.   I'd rather do that then send Conley to the Lakers or to help any team in the West. 

Rozier/Delon/Jevon

Brown/Dillon/CJ

Hunter/Bruno/Parsons

Jaren/SloMo/Rabb

Jonas/Zeller or Noah

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I wonder if BOS would be interested in Conley as Kyrie backup plan.    Jaylen + Rozier + our pick back for Conley pretty much solves ALL of our problems in one swoop.   I'd rather do that then send Conley to the Lakers or to help any team in the West. 

Rozier/Delon/Jevon

Brown/Dillon/CJ

Hunter/Bruno/Parsons

Jaren/SloMo/Rabb

Jonas/Zeller or Noah

If Conley is traded to a team in the West, I would say that is OK as the Grizzlies won't be competing for playoff spots in the next couple years.

I think Boston or Lakers make the most sense.  I think Utah is a little out of the picture.  Clippers, Nets, and Pacers also make sense and/or have significant cap space.

6 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

There is also this:

Yep he is outta here.   His relationship with Pera guarantees he goes to a place he wants to be. 

I'd much rather go the route of the Pacers, jazz, nuggets, than the route of the kings, suns, and philly. I just think tearing it down has way more chance for failure than retooling. If we bring everyone back as is (plus our pick), we are a fringe playoff team imo. Finish anywhere between 10th and 6th in the West. That would be fine considering we need to convey the pick next year. 

There are two main ways we can get better next year other than the draft pick. 

Trade Mike or trade Parsons. 

If you trade Mike, you can hope you would get a haul slightly better than what we did with Gasol. A few more role players/ one fringe star and more draft compensation. If that trade makes us better like the Gasol trade did, then maybe we would be fine. 3 of our top 6 players were acquired at the trade deadline anyway. 

Trading Parsons is a little more tricky. He wouldn't be going to a contender at all. He'd be going to a team trying to rebuild/ trying to get rid of a bad contract. 

The main targets for his contract would be Andrew Wiggins (A Wiggins, Garland/White, bruno, jaren core would be pretty nice.), Batum, and Kevin Love. They all make around 25 million, and all fit that criteria. You could also maybe get a couple of players from the Cavs or Heat that have sizable contracts that extend past next year as well depending. 

Either way, depends on who we pick. If you get a SF, I'd try to trade for Love. The 3 man rotation of Love, Jaren, and JV with Conley and Bradley would be formidable. If you pick a PG, I'd try to get Wiggins plus a pick or Okogie from Minnesota. 

Just get rid of all the vets .

Avery CJ Holiday and Parsons find way to get either young players or just cap space in return.

Why is anyone still talking about trading Parsons?  I don't believe that there is any player or players that we can get in return that will be more valuable than the salary flexibility we would get by just letting him expire.

7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep he is outta here.   His relationship with Pera guarantees he goes to a place he wants to be. 

In reading the article, he is pretty exasperated at all the front office botches, especially in dealing with the trades.

It also seems like he (and Gasol) were content to stay and finish their career here until the FO informed them they would be trying to trade them.  It seems like that move really rocked MC.

Leaking names to the press is such a stupid and unnecessary move.

2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

In reading the article, he is pretty exasperated at all the front office botches, especially in dealing with the trades.

It also seems like he (and Gasol) were content to stay and finish their career here until the FO informed them they would be trying to trade them.  It seems like that move really rocked MC.

Leaking names to the press is such a stupid and unnecessary move.

I agree with you.   he got a reminder that the NBA is a business and adjusted accordingly.

42 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why is anyone still talking about trading Parsons?  I don't believe that there is any player or players that we can get in return that will be more valuable than the salary flexibility we would get by just letting him expire.

The problem is we will never be a free agent destination. We are always either going to have to overpay (like we will have to do to get Jaylen brown) or sign someone that has obvious flaws (like Parsons health). Look at the way Indiana built themselves. A bunch of mid level guys, two stars acquired via trade for a star who didn't want to be there, and one draft pick in there rotation. Same thing pretty much for the Clippers, and they are even in LA. Heck even philly only has two guys they drafted that are even starting. 

We can hope we hit on a bunch of mid level free agents like JV, Delon, and Avery, but those 3 were also acquired via trade anyway. Or we can try to leverage our only "valuable" asset we have: A max level expiring deal. 

I do get what you are saying, but given we aren't a free agent destination, and we haven't typically had luck with draft picks, we got to try something else. 

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

I would only trade Parsons for a high upside young player to a team looking for expirings.

We’re probably gonna get some picks to help facilitate a 3 or 4 team trade with Parsons

Maybe Conley could be placated if Pera fires Wallace and if Pera restored some sanity into a dysfunctional franchise.

I doubt that happens, but it will be real interesting to see what happens tonight and at tomorrow's media day.  He's going to have to address the story.

And by 'He' I mean CHRIS WALLACE.

He's the one consistent factor in all of this FO dysfunction.  Maybe he's only taking the bullets, but he needs to say something.

Another quote from Conley in that story is worth reading: “That has nothing to do with the talent we do have, because I think we have a hell of a squad if everybody’s healthy,” Conley said. “We can make some noise. But that puts me in the same situation I’ve been in for the past 10 years, just making noise. Do I want to continue to be making noise? I’m 31, I’m kind of past trying to make noise every year.”

For Conley, I think his championship comes when he's not the highest paid player on the team (or close to it).  At his contract level right now, that's kind of difficult.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I agree with you.   he got a reminder that the NBA is a business and adjusted accordingly.

It's like telling your wife which of her friends (and/or sisters) is hotter than she is.

There might be some truth, but you gain nothing except  sofa privileges.

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Rozier/Delon/Jevon

Brown/Dillon/CJ

Hunter/Bruno/Parsons

Jaren/SloMo/Rabb

Jonas/Zeller or Noah

Boston wont give that much for Conley

55 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It's like telling your wife which of her friends (and/or sisters) is hotter than she is.

There might be some truth, but you gain nothing except  sofa privileges.

😄

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Rozier/Delon/Jevon

Brown/Dillon/CJ

Hunter/Bruno/Parsons

Jaren/SloMo/Rabb

Jonas/Zeller or Noah

BOS won't give up that much, maybe Rozier because he has been inconsistent this season, but not Brown, either by himself, or with Rozier. Hayward might be the most expendable because he has the biggest contract, and reduces their roster/capspace flexibility.

I am starting to think that Kyrie won't leave BOS, UNLESS the Knicks can get either Kawhi or KD, and that is no sure thing. I can't see Kyrie going to another team that hasn't got a real chance to be a contender next season. IMO the Clippers and the Raptors would be the only likely targets for Kyrie, and they'd have to free up capspace to be able to afford him and one of Kawhi or KD

Its also worthwhile watching what Kemba does. Kemba is in the same situation as Mike - stay with the Hornets and be mediocre for the rest of your career or try to find a more likely contending team. Problem for us is that CHA doesn't have anyone near that makes up the value for losing Mike.

DA Russell will be another one to watch, teams with capsapace (like the ones mentioned above) could throw a big offer his way.

IMO, Mike is about 4th on the ladder (Kyrie, Kemba, Russell, Mike) in terms of target order for other teams

Everything Mike has said since the trade deadline has been pretty clear that he is done here IMO.  Not that he quit the team but ready to move along.

Some of you guys are a good bit more optimistic about the shot at conveying next season...I sure hope you are right but I'm not seeing it yet.  I think we are going to convey in 21 and its going to seriously suck.  Hopefully I'm just being overly pessimistic....we are due some good breaks you'd think.

36 minutes ago, Gradey said:

Everything Mike has said since the trade deadline has been pretty clear that he is done here IMO.  Not that he quit the team but ready to move along.

Some of you guys are a good bit more optimistic about the shot at conveying next season...I sure hope you are right but I'm not seeing it yet.  I think we are going to convey in 21 and its going to seriously suck.  Hopefully I'm just being overly pessimistic....we are due some good breaks you'd think.

I dont see it at all without Conley and it pains me. Right now it would take one less win to miss bottom 6 than it would bottom 8. So this team with JV and no Conley is gonna pull off the same amount of wins? I really dont see it