GameOn

JV on the Chris Vernon Show: He wants to stay in Memphis

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Let's not forget, he was the one who recruited Chancun as well.

I thought i was the only person that remembered that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally understand this from Mike's perspective, and he has more than earned the right to want to pursue individual goals at this point in his career.  However, I'm not really sure why he would put this out there.  It seemed to me that it was more or less a certainty that the team was going to try to trade him in the offseason or next season anyway, but now our potential return will probably be less because teams will think we have no other choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep.   I am also beginning to wonder if they changed course earlier than that.    Jaren couldve played.  If they really wanted to win JJJ, Noah, and Avery wouldve been on the floor and they wouldn't have set out Mike multiple games.    We could've won 35-38 games easily but we have been purposely trotting out Gleague talent.    

I think they planned on just getting a good look at Delon and Jonas but what happened is that Jonas, CJ, and Avery were better than they thought.     Those guys along with Mike were actually a competitive team and winning.    They had no idea that trading Gasol would improve the team that much.   I think they thought after Gasol trade the team would be worse.   In other words they have been floating between convey or get better draft position the entire time.    Then in the last month settled into keep the pick.   Mike only played to get the franchise records then promptly out of line up after that.    I think Mike mustve expressed his desire to move on.  so multiple factors caused the trainwreck we see today. 

I actually think this is pretty much spot on.

The FO set out to convey, realised the team with Temple, Mack, JaM and no Chancun was garbage, and then changed tack 180·, but got surprised how this team played after the Gasol trade, so held out Jaren, Avery, Kyle, and Mike hoping to keep losing games so that they could keep the pick with the belief that the new guys, plus Jaren, plus Bruno improving, might be enough to convey next year.

I think Mike's comments throws a spanner in their works though.

IF Mike really does want out, the FO is gonna hold out for as long as they can to ensure enough wins for convey.

Not saying all this is the right strategy, just saying I think this is the FO's thinking as it unfolded this season

And just another thought:

I don't think bringing in Zeller was about winning to convey, or even trying to keep up roster numbers. I think the FO realise Noah has played himself out of any contract the Grizzlies could afford to give him, and have "auditioned" an affordable backup replacement.

So, I doubt Noah will be a Grizzly next season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

I actually think this is pretty much spot on.

The FO set out to convey, realised the team with Temple, Mack, JaM and no Chancun was garbage, and then changed tack 180·, but got surprised how this team played after the Gasol trade, so held out Jaren, Avery, Kyle, and Mike hoping to keep losing games so that they could keep the pick with the belief that the new guys, plus Jaren, plus Bruno improving, might be enough to convey next year.

I think Mike's comments throws a spanner in their works though.

IF Mike really does want out, the FO is gonna hold out for as long as they can to ensure enough wins for convey.

Not saying all this is the right strategy, just saying I think this is the FO's thinking as it unfolded this season

And just another thought:

I don't think bringing in Zeller was about winning to convey, or even trying to keep up roster numbers. I think the FO realise Noah has played himself out of any contract the Grizzlies could afford to give him, and have "auditioned" an affordable backup replacement.

So, I doubt Noah will be a Grizzly next season

Yep and your Zeller thoughts make sense too.    Mike expressing he wants no more to do with this clownshow- blindsided them too.   They took him for granted and assumed he would be onboard with anything they do.   I am glad he basically is telling them to shove it. 

.   This is where FO clear lack of direction hurts the franchise.   Having a goal of Conveying Pick is such a low bar to construct a roster around. - that invites failure.     They should go into next season with goal of building a contending roster for the immediate future and develop Jaren.    Raise the bar really high and if you fail then you still have a successful season. 

One thing that is really bugging me is that - people are still confused in regards to us rebuilding (Peter Edmiston still asking that question on his radio show).          Next season we won't have any of the 4 CORE.    NO Mike Marc Tony or Zbo.  We have tanked for two seasons in a row.   The roster will be 85% different from what was in training camp.    There is no playoff streak we are trying to continue.     Why do people need the FO to announce a rebuild???    There is no retool when all the tools are gone!      THIS IS A REBUILD!!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

I actually think this is pretty much spot on.

The FO set out to convey, realised the team with Temple, Mack, JaM and no Chancun was garbage, and then changed tack 180·, but got surprised how this team played after the Gasol trade, so held out Jaren, Avery, Kyle, and Mike hoping to keep losing games so that they could keep the pick with the belief that the new guys, plus Jaren, plus Bruno improving, might be enough to convey next year.

I think Mike's comments throws a spanner in their works though.

IF Mike really does want out, the FO is gonna hold out for as long as they can to ensure enough wins for convey.

Not saying all this is the right strategy, just saying I think this is the FO's thinking as it unfolded this season

And just another thought:

I don't think bringing in Zeller was about winning to convey, or even trying to keep up roster numbers. I think the FO realise Noah has played himself out of any contract the Grizzlies could afford to give him, and have "auditioned" an affordable backup replacement.

So, I doubt Noah will be a Grizzly next season

 

I think that all the doubts about Noah's ability to stay healthy are still there.

I do think Zeller was a potential re-sign that was auditioning for a spot.  They easily could have brought up some center from the Hustle who's played a lot with the guys who were playing.  Likewise, if they were trying to tank, they easily could have signed Z-Bo to close out the season (which really may have been depressing).

Noah was here for 60 games, and he played 42.  I don't doubt his enthusiasm for playing, but missing almost one-third of the games isn't a recipe for getting a big contract elsewhere.  I think it is a recipe for getting near the vet minimum, and if the Grizzlies do offer him the vet minimum, and another team offers him something similar.   I could see why he could be in Memphis next year, but I don't count on it.

 

Really, I would be very content if JV/Noah/Zeller is the C depth chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Ehh, what is Jonas supposed to say?He has a player option for almost $18 mil per, not sure he would get that on the open market for 1 year. Plus, if we want a big C, he may be the best available that we could get. I'd give him a chance but to act like he's going to go on Memphis radio and be like "Naw, I'm good. I don't wanna be in Memphis" or " Yeah, I'm considering the vet min to play with GS". Well, that's not going to happen.

As far as Conley, good riddance. It's not like he's been helping us win or anything and his contract is killing us. Let's not forget, he was the one who recruited Chancun as well. So he got everything he wanted, a max contract, his buddy Chancun, and his buddy Marc and it was a total and utter disaster. He's responsible for a lot of it and for him to go on and on about how he needs to be more selfish...dude, you signed a max deal worth over $150 mil for a guy who never even sniffed the All-Star game. I've said this before and still continue to say Conley has been playing hero ball way too much the past few years for my tastes. I don't think our record changes too much next year whether he's here or not. At least get some young fun players.

Be gone, hopefully we can get a top 5 pick for him but i doubt it. 

 

I can agree with this. If Phoenix gets Zion and is willing to drop off some spare assets to get a strong pg, then Im down. To hell with trying to sell Mike to a contender. Not at 32 million. Take what the Suns offer before they offer it to NO for Holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I can agree with this. If Phoenix gets Zion and is willing to drop off some spare assets to get a strong pg, then Im down. To hell with trying to sell Mike to a contender. Not at 32 million. Take what the Suns offer before they offer it to NO for Holiday.

Mike ain't going to PHO or Minny.   He even stated in his outgoing interview he wants to go to a team that championship is realistic.     Lakers,  Boston, and maybe Indy are the spots i see him trying to go to.   Pera did it for Marc so i am sure he will do it for Conley.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Mike ain't going to PHO or Minny.   He even stated in his outgoing interview he wants to go to a team that championship is realistic.     Lakers,  Boston, and maybe Indy are the spots i see him trying to go to.   Pera did it for Marc so i am sure he will do it for Conley.  

I said if I was making the call. He will go wherever he is traded to get that check. And for as much as they keep saying "Pera did it for Marc" is partially because of the weak offers. If Charlotte offered something beautiful like Monk, Bridges and a first....guess where Marc would be at right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I said if I was making the call. He will go wherever he is traded to get that check. And for as much as they keep saying "Pera did it for Marc" is partially because of the weak offers. If Charlotte offered something beautiful like Monk, Bridges and a first....guess where Marc would be at right now?

This is Grizz FO and Pera we are talking about.   The same folks that fired Fiz for a player they traded 8mths later.    YOUR logic is rational and sound but what the hades does that have to do with Grizz FO???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I can agree with this. If Phoenix gets Zion and is willing to drop off some spare assets to get a strong pg, then Im down. To hell with trying to sell Mike to a contender. Not at 32 million. Take what the Suns offer before they offer it to NO for Holiday.

 

But the fact that MC is at $32 and $35 million is what keeps him from going to those types of teams.  Only a team that thinks they are a MC away from the NBA or conference finals is willing to pay that.  Even the Lakers need to get AD or someone else to pair with LeBron to pay for Mike Conley.

Utah in West.

Maybe Clippers or Lakers.  

I don't see Spurs willing to make that payment.

In the East...a few teams.

 

I wonder if the Warriors free agency will impact what other teams are willing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

 

But the fact that MC is at $32 and $35 million is what keeps him from going to those types of teams.  Only a team that thinks they are a MC away from the NBA or conference finals is willing to pay that.  Even the Lakers need to get AD or someone else to pair with LeBron to pay for Mike Conley.

Utah in West.

Maybe Clippers or Lakers.  

I don't see Spurs willing to make that payment.

In the East...a few teams.

 

I wonder if the Warriors free agency will impact what other teams are willing to do.

Heck yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JV and JJJ. I like it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

I actually think this is pretty much spot on.

The FO set out to convey, realised the team with Temple, Mack, JaM and no Chancun was garbage, and then changed tack 180·, but got surprised how this team played after the Gasol trade, so held out Jaren, Avery, Kyle, and Mike hoping to keep losing games so that they could keep the pick with the belief that the new guys, plus Jaren, plus Bruno improving, might be enough to convey next year.

I think Mike's comments throws a spanner in their works though.

IF Mike really does want out, the FO is gonna hold out for as long as they can to ensure enough wins for convey.

Not saying all this is the right strategy, just saying I think this is the FO's thinking as it unfolded this season

And just another thought:

I don't think bringing in Zeller was about winning to convey, or even trying to keep up roster numbers. I think the FO realise Noah has played himself out of any contract the Grizzlies could afford to give him, and have "auditioned" an affordable backup replacement.

So, I doubt Noah will be a Grizzly next season

Sounds to me like Mike wants out NOW, not a year from now.

Zeller would be a good 3rd option C. At this time, Zeller cannot be considered a replacement for Noah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 10:13 AM, Dwash said:

His contract is 12.9. And its 2 million if you buy him out. So the difference to keep is 10.9 million, basically the price of MLE for a solid starter.

Are we going to get a better player than Bradley for $10.9 M + the $2M we pay AB?  If not just keep AB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 9:38 PM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Ehh, what is Jonas supposed to say?He has a player option for almost $18 mil per, not sure he would get that on the open market for 1 year. Plus, if we want a big C, he may be the best available that we could get. I'd give him a chance but to act like he's going to go on Memphis radio and be like "Naw, I'm good. I don't wanna be in Memphis" or " Yeah, I'm considering the vet min to play with GS". Well, that's not going to happen.

As far as Conley, good riddance. It's not like he's been helping us win or anything and his contract is killing us. Let's not forget, he was the one who recruited Chancun as well. So he got everything he wanted, a max contract, his buddy Chancun, and his buddy Marc and it was a total and utter disaster. He's responsible for a lot of it and for him to go on and on about how he needs to be more selfish...dude, you signed a max deal worth over $150 mil for a guy who never even sniffed the All-Star game. I've said this before and still continue to say Conley has been playing hero ball way too much the past few years for my tastes. I don't think our record changes too much next year whether he's here or not. At least get some young fun players.

Be gone, hopefully we can get a top 5 pick for him but i doubt it. 

 

I agree with everything but the record change,  we'll see.  Mike did recruit peg leg and threatened to walk if we didn't sign.  Get a pick and a young player or 2 and I'm cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the end, I could see JV signing with the Lakers or some other realistic contender. JV is as loyal, friendly and honest a human being as they come, but he's also a competitor. When he started his career in Toronto, he was young as was the team. He wants to win now and he will consider ALL the options, but especially those where he can get both - a team that is a contender and a team where he would be a real piece that will be used. Lakers I see as a prime destination for JV, but some other places could emerge, Memphis included. But it depends on all the upcoming off-season moves that will be made by all the teams, especially the moves the Grizzlies will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BadGrizzly said:

In the end, I could see JV signing with the Lakers or some other realistic contender. JV is as loyal, friendly and honest a human being as they come, but he's also a competitor. When he started his career in Toronto, he was young as was the team. He wants to win now and he will consider ALL the options, but especially those where he can get both - a team that is a contender and a team where he would be a real piece that will be used. Lakers I see as a prime destination for JV, but some other places could emerge, Memphis included. But it depends on all the upcoming off-season moves that will be made by all the teams, especially the moves the Grizzlies will do.

Yeah, now that JB is gone, I think he will be waiting to see who the next coach will be. He said he liked JB and JB did give him a lot of freedom on offense. If the Grizzlies hired Sarunas Jasikevicius as a HC, I'm pretty sure JV would stay. See Sarunas' bio in my thread on choosing a new HC:  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2019/04/19/memphis-grizzlies-jonas-valanciunas-toronto-raptors-trade/3473078002/

A new coach and new basketball leadership within the front office could have other visions of how to use Valanciunas. But newly empowered Vice President of Basketball Operations Zach Kleiman played a key role in orchestrating the deal that brought Valanciunas to Memphis at the trade deadline, and that appears to bode well for Valanciunas' chances of remaining a key cog in the team's plans.

Valanciunas suggested that he "needs a point guard" for a quality pick-and-roll game but added that Mike Conley's future with the franchise "is not going to be super big" in determining whether he wants to stay. Valanciunas is also comfortable with point guard Delon Wright, whom he played with in Toronto.

"For me, I'm looking at the basketball perspective," Valanciunas said. "I'm trying to play basketball and be productive, get a chance to play basketball. I think this is the good chance for me. We're going to build on that. I'm not looking money, years, whatever.

"I'm looking at basketball."

I think Jonas would resign with us longterm for a reasonable amount IF we keep him as a Starter; but i'm not sure we should.  I like him as a player and he would've been awesome if we could've added him immediately after Zbo left to pair with Mike.   But watching these playoffs has soured me on his longterm fit.   True bigs without athleticism to defend aren't all that playable in PO's anymore.    Regular season Jonas will be a beast but he will get exposed bigtime in postseason.       However, Jonas is almost a guaranteed double-double and the team will be starved for both points and rebounds next season.   If we lose Mike and Avery then we won't have any dependable scorers outside of Jaren and Jonas.    So we def need him for next season it's just that i don't think we need to lock him in beyond that. 

Jaren is really the perfect Center going forward, but he isn't ready for that role full-time nor do we have the pieces to compliment him there.  I don't see Conley's trade haul resolving that either.   So I want Jonas to opt-in and become a free Agent after next season.    That allows us to evaluate his fit with Jaren going forward and if it doesn't work he becomes a great trade chip.  

Only surefire person we should be resigning this offseason is Delon.   Potential other person is Noah. He is the center that will be impactful in both regular and post season.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2019/04/19/memphis-grizzlies-jonas-valanciunas-toronto-raptors-trade/3473078002/

A new coach and new basketball leadership within the front office could have other visions of how to use Valanciunas. But newly empowered Vice President of Basketball Operations Zach Kleiman played a key role in orchestrating the deal that brought Valanciunas to Memphis at the trade deadline, and that appears to bode well for Valanciunas' chances of remaining a key cog in the team's plans.

Valanciunas suggested that he "needs a point guard" for a quality pick-and-roll game but added that Mike Conley's future with the franchise "is not going to be super big" in determining whether he wants to stay. Valanciunas is also comfortable with point guard Delon Wright, whom he played with in Toronto.

"For me, I'm looking at the basketball perspective," Valanciunas said. "I'm trying to play basketball and be productive, get a chance to play basketball. I think this is the good chance for me. We're going to build on that. I'm not looking money, years, whatever.

"I'm looking at basketball."

I think Jonas would resign with us longterm for a reasonable amount IF we keep him as a Starter; but i'm not sure we should.  I like him as a player and he would've been awesome if we could've added him immediately after Zbo left to pair with Mike.   But watching these playoffs has soured me on his longterm fit.   True bigs without athleticism to defend aren't all that playable in PO's anymore.    Regular season Jonas will be a beast but he will get exposed bigtime in postseason.       However, Jonas is almost a guaranteed double-double and the team will be starved for both points and rebounds next season.   If we lose Mike and Avery then we won't have any dependable scorers outside of Jaren and Jonas.    So we def need him for next season it's just that i don't think we need to lock him in beyond that. 

Jaren is really the perfect Center going forward, but he isn't ready for that role full-time nor do we have the pieces to compliment him there.  I don't see Conley's trade haul resolving that either.   So I want Jonas to opt-in and become a free Agent after next season.    That allows us to evaluate his fit with Jaren going forward and if it doesn't work he becomes a great trade chip.  

Only surefire person we should be resigning this offseason is Delon.   Potential other person is Noah. He is the center that will be impactful in both regular and post season.   

I think Jaren needs a tougher guy like Jonas around, especially for rebounds.  He is not ideal to have on defense, as you mentioned, but the ideal center isn't going to be on this roster anyways.  The replacement options (barring some deal that brings a player here or opens cap space) are Koufos, Lopez, Tyson Chandler types.  All are limited or old, like Noah.

I hope Noah stays for the vet minimum.  I don't think they will be able to offer much more, but he also missed more games than Parsons down the stretch, so I don't think that as he ages he'll get more reliable next year. 

Maybe they can't keep all guys, but a backcourt rotation of Conley/Delon/ABradley/Holiday/Dillon is about as deep and solid as it has been since Conley/Bayless/TA/(Beno)/CLee of DJ's first year.  It's not going to match Portland or Washington, but it's better than it has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now