GameOn

JV on the Chris Vernon Show: He wants to stay in Memphis

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I was agreeing with GTF. Clearly if Wallace wanted to convey, making the playoffs would achieve that. 

My bad i couldn't tell from your wording.   

16 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That was exactly the goal this season.   Nobody should've seriously thought that training camp team was going to win a championship.    That was 100% about getting off that BOS pick.    I dont see how you don't see that. 

You have been against conveying for the last two months while the org has been for it. Yet you said your viewpoints mirror what the organizations wants. Doesnt add up to me but ok if you say so.

7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Who exactly would you put on the court??     You want us to run it back with Dorsey, CJ, Yuta, Washburn, and Holiday?     Let Jonas, Avery, and Delon walk?  

We aren't going to convey and aren't ready to win a championship yet.   Conley wants out.   What are we supposed to do??

Vets can be there as placeholders until you find respectable replacements. Not actually building a team to try and give Boston an 11-14 pick are you kidding me this team isnt doing that.

10 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

My bad i couldn't tell from your wording.   

No biggie. It happens so rarely that I can understand your being confused! 

Another way to look at it is this. The big free agent acquisitions this summer were Omri Caspi, Garrett Temple and Kyle Anderson. Only Anderson could be considered someone to build around for the future. The rest were one year contract veterans. 

Early in-season moves involved Justin Holiday (27) for two future 2nd round picks and Wayne Selden and Joakim Noah (34). Clearly they were in a win now mode until Gasol demanded the trade. The Grizzlies were rumored to be offered a number of young players and possibly first round picks for Marc and Mike but the Grizzlies chose to take 27 yr old Delon Wright (UFA this summer) and 26 year old JOnas Valanciunas (opt out option this summer).  They even accepted CJ MIles and his $6 million salary to make it happen. Then the team traded Garrett Temple and JaMychal Green for Avery Bradley who can be waived this summer for a mere $2 million.

Every move until the last month was to win now and convey not to keep the pick. 

and DWash is right. GTF has not been in sync with the FO. He's had his own agenda which ran counter to what the FO wanted. 

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

You have been against conveying for the last two months while the org has been for it. Yet you said your viewpoints mirror what the organizations wants. Doesnt add up to me but ok if you say so.

I said i try to see/predict what the FO is going to do.   What they want to do - rarely matches up to what i actually want.   

25 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

YES

No team sets out to win 38 games but teams do set out to lose 70.  38 wins next season gives BOS potentially 13th pick.   We were fighting to give them the 9th.    

Numerous NBA players have said that a competitive environment and solid vets were integral to their developments.   Take a look at our FO and Coaching staff and its like 80% former NBA players.   You think they haven't spoke up about that?/

Teams that set out to tank do things to increase the tank chances such as

• sit best players
  • play gleague talent
  • random rotations 

Competing teams try to win every game and has a system and roles for its players.    Which environment do you want to develop Jaren and 2019 pick in?   

Yall want us to have 5yrs straight of Tanking then magically flip some switch and start winning after that.   Who exactly will want to come to a small market team that has been sucking for 5yrs to help us turn it around?     Yall also want to give BOS one of our lottery picks during that span.    I don't think you all have a realistic longterm view.     4 years of high draft picks  dont guarantee anything.     We also aren't doomed to never get more young talent if we don't tank.   Conley trade should be able to return us some young pieces too.  

Like JV said in his interview with Chris Vernon, it's important to try to win EVERY game, to create a "culture of winning". Draft picks, trades, FA's are all good, but if you don't have a "culture of winning" you aren't going anywhere.  

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Vets can be there as placeholders until you find respectable replacements. Not actually building a team to try and give Boston an 11-14 pick are you kidding me this team isnt doing that.

What harm is it in keeping Delon and Jonas for another 4yrs?   So do you want to potentially give BOS a Top 3 pick in 2021??? Because that is what you are suggesting     

Ya'll need to adjust your expectations now that it is 80% likely we arent conveying.   If you don't want to keep Avery, Delon, and Jonas for next season because Conley is prob gone.  Then we will be really really bad and more than likely keep our pick and draft another lottery pick.     (which supposedly is what you all want).  However, we will still owe BOS a fully unprotected pick in 2021.     How exactly will we magically improve in that one season where we don't end up bottom 4 again?    That is way more risky than what i am proposing.      

36 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

YES

No team sets out to win 38 games but teams do set out to lose 70.  38 wins next season gives BOS potentially 13th pick.   We were fighting to give them the 9th.    

Numerous NBA players have said that a competitive environment and solid vets were integral to their developments.   Take a look at our FO and Coaching staff and its like 80% former NBA players.   You think they haven't spoke up about that?/

Teams that set out to tank do things to increase the tank chances such as

• sit best players
  • play gleague talent
  • random rotations 

Competing teams try to win every game and has a system and roles for its players.    Which environment do you want to develop Jaren and 2019 pick in?   

Yall want us to have 5yrs straight of Tanking then magically flip some switch and start winning after that.   Who exactly will want to come to a small market team that has been sucking for 5yrs to help us turn it around?     Yall also want to give BOS one of our lottery picks during that span.    I don't think you all have a realistic longterm view.     4 years of high draft picks  dont guarantee anything.     We also aren't doomed to never get more young talent if we don't tank.   Conley trade should be able to return us some young pieces too.  

Imho, this franchise could not survive 5 years of sucking. From what I've read so far, attendance is already a big problem.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2019/4/10/18300637/the-grizzlies-dont-need-a-traditional-rebuild-nba-memphis

18 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

No biggie. It happens so rarely that I can understand your being confused! 

Another way to look at it is this. The big free agent acquisitions this summer were Omri Caspi, Garrett Temple and Kyle Anderson. Only Anderson could be considered someone to build around for the future. The rest were one year contract veterans. 

Early in-season moves involved Justin Holiday (27) for two future 2nd round picks and Wayne Selden and Joakim Noah (34). Clearly they were in a win now mode until Gasol demanded the trade. The Grizzlies were rumored to be offered a number of young players and possibly first round picks for Marc and Mike but the Grizzlies chose to take 27 yr old Delon Wright (UFA this summer) and 26 year old JOnas Valanciunas (opt out option this summer).  They even accepted CJ MIles and his $6 million salary to make it happen. Then the team traded Garrett Temple and JaMychal Green for Avery Bradley who can be waived this summer for a mere $2 million.

Every move until the last month was to win now and convey not to keep the pick. 

Yep.   I am also beginning to wonder if they changed course earlier than that.    Jaren couldve played.  If they really wanted to win JJJ, Noah, and Avery wouldve been on the floor and they wouldn't have set out Mike multiple games.    We could've won 35-38 games easily but we have been purposely trotting out Gleague talent.    

I think they planned on just getting a good look at Delon and Jonas but what happened is that Jonas, CJ, and Avery were better than they thought.     Those guys along with Mike were actually a competitive team and winning.    They had no idea that trading Gasol would improve the team that much.   I think they thought after Gasol trade the team would be worse.   In other words they have been floating between convey or get better draft position the entire time.    Then in the last month settled into keep the pick.   Mike only played to get the franchise records then promptly out of line up after that.    I think Mike mustve expressed his desire to move on.  so multiple factors caused the trainwreck we see today. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I said i try to see/predict what the FO is going to do.   What they want to do - rarely matches up to what i actually want.   

Geez, why are you giving me this baloney its just a basketball forum. You said earlier that what we miss in your predictions is that they arent not really what you want, just what you think what will happen. So are you telling me you were going into long spill about wanting to compete and give up the pick next year only because thats what the FO wants to do and not what you want? Because this totally contradicts the 8 million times you told us not to worry about the 2021 draft because we will be good by then. That the rebuild would be over and we would be ready to hit the FA market. Which AGAIN totally contradicts the FO viewpoint of wanting to keep the 2021 pick.

In other words, I have no idea how you think we can determine what you claim are org predictions of what will happen versus what you really want to happen.

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep.   I am also beginning to wonder if they changed course earlier than that.    Jaren couldve played.  If they really wanted to win JJJ, Noah, and Avery wouldve been on the floor and they wouldn't have set out Mike multiple games.    We could've won 35-38 games easily but we have been purposely trotting out Gleague talent.    

I think they really just planned on just getting a good look at Delon and Jonas but what happened is that Jonas, CJ, and Avery were better than they thought.     Those guys along with Mike were actually a competitive team and winning.    They had no idea that trading Gasol would improve the team that much.   I think they thought after Gasol trade the team would be worse.   In other words they have been floating between convey or get better draft position the entire time.    Then in the last month settled into keep the pick.   Mike only played to get the franchise records then promptly out of line up after that.    I think Mike mustve expressed his desire to move on and so multiple factors caused the trainwreck we see today. 

So you and the FO do have something in common. You can't decide what direction you want the team to go in! 

Sorry. I just couldn't let it go. 

Just now, Dwash said:

Geez, why are you giving me this baloney its just a basketball forum. You said earlier that what we miss in your predictions is that they arent not really what you want, just what you think what will happen. So are you telling me you were going into long spill about wanting to compete and give up the pick next year only because thats what the FO wants to do and not what you want? Because this totally contradicts the 8 million times you told us not to worry about the 2021 draft because we will be good by then. That the rebuild would be over and we would be ready to hit the FA market. Which AGAIN totally contradicts the FO viewpoint of wanting to keep the 2021 pick.

In other words, I have no idea how you think we can determine what you claim are org predictions of what will happen versus what you really want to happen.

I didn't want them to convey this season once the wheels fell off.   I was pretty clear about that. 

The prediction of what they will do next season is based on Mike asking out and us not conveying.   You guys are whining about wanting to tank another 3 years.   I said NO way FO will do that.    So yes i always include in my thinking what realistically can happen based on knowledge of FO history.    

Whew! The joint is jumpin' today. JV wants to stay ... Mike wants to go ... last game of the season tonight ...

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

So you and the FO do have something in common. You can't decide what direction you want the team to go in! 

Sorry. I just couldn't let it go. 

LOL 

Like i have said a million times.  I readjust my expectations after new information is brought forth.    Some people are too stubborn to do that. 

I had no idea Jonas would be that good.  I though CJ and Avery weren't going to be factors.   I liked Delon but had no real peg on him either.   Just like initially i thought Jaren was a bad pick.     i still say Mike plus the new guys could be a playoff team but now that we know Mike won't be back.  Expectations/plan has to change again. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

LOL 

Like i have said a million times.  I readjust my expectations after new information is brought forth.    Some people are too stubborn to do that. 

I had no idea Jonas would be that good.  I though CJ and Avery weren't going to be factors.   I liked Delon but had no real peg on him either.   Just like initially i thought Jaren was a bad pick.     i still say Mike plus the new guys could be a playoff team but now that we know Mike won't be back.  Expectations/plan has to change again. 

Thank you Chris Wallace. 

I am more of a vision guy myself. You decide what you are trying to create and you go about building it not a let's what happens and adapt to it type of person. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Thank you Chris Wallace. 

I am more of a vision guy myself. You decide what you are trying to create and you go about building it not a let's what happens and adapt to it type of person. 

It's the only (successful) way to roll.

3 hours ago, MemphisX said:

This is just false.  It has nothing to do with small markets.  There are like 3-5 teams in the NBA that can be bad without it hurting attendance.  Small market teams would be best served to build a great team than fall in the 35-45 win tunnel.

Memphis isn't one of those markets,  we have the most disloyal community 

29 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Memphis isn't one of those markets,  we have the most disloyal community 

Yep a bunch of front runners.     We are also in the midst of being bad and attendance is faltering.    So really a non-debate. 

24 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep a bunch of front runners.     We are also in the midst of being bad and attendance is faltering.    So really a non-debate. 

Exactly! 

5 hours ago, Dwash said:

His contract is 12.9. And its 2 million if you buy him out. So the difference to keep is 10.9 million, basically the price of MLE for a solid starter.

Wonder where Chip got his figures from, 12.9 is what I have seen also

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I was agreeing with GTF. Clearly if Wallace wanted to convey, making the playoffs would achieve that. 

What does it say when the coach sits the subs that has played well in the 1st half and plays other players in the 2nd half, it happened over and over early in the year. If you didn't see it you had your eyes closed. What does it say when a coach benches a guy who took a wild shot and takes him out of the rotation when he was just about the only players who could create his own shots?

that's a good thing about JV but this team really need a super star 3 you can shoot

7 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Gasol dictates he wants to go to a  contender. Conley gets his overpaid max contract from Memphis and now wants to go to a contender. 

Memphis can't get out of it's ridiculous pick owed and can't pick top spots. 

This is beyond what a farm team would even do. It's really hard supporting this team while useless decision-makers ruin this franchise. 

Nobody was going to give Conley close to the max. Memphis gave him all the opportunity to succeed. He has done a lot for the franchise, but he should shut his pie hole about wanting out. 

I think he is entitled to his opinion, but in the same way we are tied to Chandler Parsons he should be tied to us. I don't think any legit contender (top 3 in either conference)  is going to want his salary hit. 

Our outlook is super bleak right now though barring a #1 , 2 , or 9 pick. If we get a 9 trading Conley is no big thing. 

I really like JV as a player but not sure at what amount ... I think he compliments JJJ.

curious as to what we could get for Conley.. he was great after AS break

Ehh, what is Jonas supposed to say?He has a player option for almost $18 mil per, not sure he would get that on the open market for 1 year. Plus, if we want a big C, he may be the best available that we could get. I'd give him a chance but to act like he's going to go on Memphis radio and be like "Naw, I'm good. I don't wanna be in Memphis" or " Yeah, I'm considering the vet min to play with GS". Well, that's not going to happen.

As far as Conley, good riddance. It's not like he's been helping us win or anything and his contract is killing us. Let's not forget, he was the one who recruited Chancun as well. So he got everything he wanted, a max contract, his buddy Chancun, and his buddy Marc and it was a total and utter disaster. He's responsible for a lot of it and for him to go on and on about how he needs to be more selfish...dude, you signed a max deal worth over $150 mil for a guy who never even sniffed the All-Star game. I've said this before and still continue to say Conley has been playing hero ball way too much the past few years for my tastes. I don't think our record changes too much next year whether he's here or not. At least get some young fun players.

Be gone, hopefully we can get a top 5 pick for him but i doubt it.