GameOn

JV on the Chris Vernon Show: He wants to stay in Memphis

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

More than likely we aren't going to convey this season, correct.    Conley wants out and will more than likely be granted that, correct.    So next season we should be playing to stay out of bottom 10 slots in order to convey.    We will need actual NBA players to do that.

Not many vets are lining up to play for a non-playoff team with no money.    

In summary we are trying to 'achieve' the convey next season.  

I dont understand why you want to convey next year when your whole mantra has been get lottery talent in here to play with JJJ as quick as possible so they can grow together. You said repeatedly who cares about 2021, we will be a late lottery team by then with our next two picks.

But now you dont want the pick next year? So you prefer an 11-14 pick next year going to Boston only to do what the following year if we have full control.of our pick.

7 minutes ago, Allen said:

Why not? They don’t even play the same position 

The Grizzlies will need to resign JV, Delon and a lottery pick. Conley was set to be paid $32 million next season, Chadler is being paid $25 million, Avery Bradley is on the last year of his contract paying him over $17 million and the Grizzlies aren't going into the luxury tax.  

angry-man-in-the-phone-show-me-the-money-meme.jpg

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

angry-man-in-the-phone-show-me-the-money-meme.jpg

Avery Bradley isn’t due for a big payday 

2 minutes ago, Allen said:

Avery Bradley isn’t due for a big payday 

The Grizzlies will need to resign JV (and he'll want at least $17 million), Delon (probably looking for a minimum of $10 million) and a lottery pick ($4 million). Conley was set to be paid $32 million next season, Chadler is being paid $25 million, Avery Bradley is on the last year of his contract paying him over $17 million and the Grizzlies aren't going into the luxury tax.  

It isn't personal. It's just business. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies will need to resign JV, Delon and a lottery pick. Conley was set to be paid $32 million next season, Chadler is being paid $25 million, Avery Bradley is on the last year of his contract paying him over $17 million and the Grizzlies aren't going into the luxury tax.  

His contract is 12.9. And its 2 million if you buy him out. So the difference to keep is 10.9 million, basically the price of MLE for a solid starter.

Gasol dictates he wants to go to a  contender. Conley gets his overpaid max contract from Memphis and now wants to go to a contender. 

Memphis can't get out of it's ridiculous pick owed and can't pick top spots. 

This is beyond what a farm team would even do. It's really hard supporting this team while useless decision-makers ruin this franchise. 

Nobody was going to give Conley close to the max. Memphis gave him all the opportunity to succeed. He has done a lot for the franchise, but he should shut his pie hole about wanting out. 

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

His contract is 12.9. And its 2 million if you buy him out. So the difference to keep is 10.9 million, basically the price of MLE for a solid starter.

I don't want to argue with you. The fact is Avery was sent home weeks ago with a "shin contusion." I can tell you that the team had no intention of bringing him back prior to today. Now they may be forced to do so depending on what they believe they can get for Conley. 

Believe it or not. It's my opinion from talking to people who have inside information. 

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I dont understand why you want to convey next year when your whole mantra has been get lottery talent in here to play with JJJ as quick as possible so they can grow together. You said repeatedly who cares about 2021, we will be a late lottery team by then with our next two picks.

But now you dont want the pick next year? So you prefer an 11-14 pick next year going to Boston only to do what the following year if we have full control.of our pick.

Small Market team cannot afford to tank for five years.   What ppl miss in a lot of my predictions is that they are not mostly what i would do but me trying to think what the Grizz FO will do.   Grizz FO will NEVER go into a season with an outward goal of tanking.  

I want to convey next year because that class isn't great either.   I would've been fine with giving BOS the 15th pick this year too.     I just want to give BOS the worst possible pick.   

Also technically keeping our pick this year counts as 'getting lottery talent with JJJ as quickly as possible'.     

10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies will need to resign JV (and he'll want at least $17 million), Delon (probably looking for a minimum of $10 million) and a lottery pick ($4 million). Conley was set to be paid $32 million next season, Chadler is being paid $25 million, Avery Bradley is on the last year of his contract paying him over $17 million and the Grizzlies aren't going into the luxury tax.  

It isn't personal. It's just business. 

It would make more sense to say it was Delon or Conley 

Just now, Allen said:

It would make more sense to say it was Delon or Conley 

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I believe the Grizzlies never considered not resigning Wright or JV. That's my opinion. 

26 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Small Market team cannot afford to tank for five years.   What ppl miss in a lot of my predictions is that they are not mostly what i would do but me trying to think what the Grizz FO will do.   Grizz FO will NEVER go into a season with an outward goal of tanking.  

I want to convey next year because that class isn't great either.   I would've been fine with giving BOS the 15th pick this year too.     I just want to give BOS the worst possible pick.   

Also technically keeping our pick this year counts as 'getting lottery talent with JJJ as quickly as possible'.     

Is there really a difference between “competing” and winning 38 games and tanking and winning 24 games?

Unless JJJ explodes we’re going to be bad for the next couple years. There is no avoiding this. Delon Wright, Avery Bradley and JV isn’t stopping that 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I believe the Grizzlies never considered not resigning Wright or JV. That's my opinion. 

That's how i see it too.   Delon most of all because i think they knew Conley moving on was always on the table.   

Regardless people.   We do need to fill the roster with ACTUAL NBA players.   I know the last few seasons have given us an abundance of riches in GLeague and LA Fitness talent.    But at some point we need to have REAL NBA players take the court and locked up on contracts.   Coaches need atleast a few players that they actually KNOW what their production will be.    Delon, Jonas, Avery, SloMo and CJ check those boxes.  

Avery is at 12.9 million, not 17 next year, with only 2 million guaranteed. I'm not sure about this part but I think I read if we trade him we can only match salaries with the 2 million. 

Either way, if we are going to trade Conley, we need to try to draft Coby White, morant, or Garland. If we aren't going to trade him, we need to draft Hunter, Reddish, or Culver.

If we draft a guard, I think we should trade Kyle to the suns for Josh Jackson. They need more of a 4 (which is what I view Kyle as), Jackson is fighting for playing time with 3 others at his position. 

17 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I dont see how your views are in line with what the Grizzlies want to do when you are against conveying which is said to be the Grizzlies main goal.

I dont think the Grizzlies should be planning seasons just to give Boston a bad pick. They should be planning to actually get the most talent they can get (draft, trades, etc) moving forward.  Hard for me to make sense of that but ok.

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

Is there really a difference between “competing” and winning 38 games and tanking and winning 24 games?

Unless JJJ explodes we’re going to be bad for the next couple years. There is no avoiding this. Delon Wright and JV isn’t stopping that 

They will find out when these patch teams actually hit the court...again.

25 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

This is just false.  It has nothing to do with small markets.  There are like 3-5 teams in the NBA that can be bad without it hurting attendance.  Small market teams would be best served to build a great team than fall in the 35-45 win tunnel.

30 minutes ago, Allen said:

Unless JJJ explodes we’re going to be bad for the next couple years. There is no avoiding this. Delon Wright, Avery Bradley and JV isn’t stopping that 

YES

No team sets out to win 38 games but teams do set out to lose 70.  38 wins next season gives BOS potentially 13th pick.   We were fighting to give them the 9th.    

Numerous NBA players have said that a competitive environment and solid vets were integral to their developments.   Take a look at our FO and Coaching staff and its like 80% former NBA players.   You think they haven't spoke up about that?/

Teams that set out to tank do things to increase the tank chances such as

• sit best players
  • play gleague talent
  • random rotations 

Competing teams try to win every game and has a system and roles for its players.    Which environment do you want to develop Jaren and 2019 pick in?   

Yall want us to have 5yrs straight of Tanking then magically flip some switch and start winning after that.   Who exactly will want to come to a small market team that has been sucking for 5yrs to help us turn it around?     Yall also want to give BOS one of our lottery picks during that span.    I don't think you all have a realistic longterm view.     4 years of high draft picks  dont guarantee anything.     We also aren't doomed to never get more young talent if we don't tank.   Conley trade should be able to return us some young pieces too.  

23 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

This is just false.  It has nothing to do with small markets.  There are like 3-5 teams in the NBA that can be bad without it hurting attendance.  Small market teams would be best served to build a great team than fall in the 35-45 win tunnel.

Small Market teams are best served by trying to compete and when they do fall not stay there for  5 straight years like ya'll are suggesting.     if we convey this year then tank next year that is 3 years straight.  I keep hearing about wanting to get the 2021 and 2022 picks  in order to get one of the good ones we will need to still be bad by then too.    That is a loonnng time for a team to be bad. 

Its wiser to compete next season get more good will from fans and build up tradeable assets.   You know do what the Celtics do.     Instead of thinking the only way we can get lottery picks is by being bad.   How about we compete next season and maybe trade Delon or Kyle to a desp team for their picks?    Or maybe Conley gets us some future firsts.     Tanking isn't the ONLY way to build a great team.   That's incredibly narrow minded. 

35 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I dont see how your views are in line with what the Grizzlies want to do when you are against conveying which is said to be the Grizzlies main goal.

I dont think the Grizzlies should be planning seasons just to give Boston a bad pick. They should be planning to actually get the most talent they can get (draft, trades, etc) moving forward.  Hard for me to make sense of that but ok.

That was exactly the goal this season.   Nobody should've seriously thought that training camp team was going to win a championship.    That was 100% about getting off that BOS pick.    I dont see how you don't see that. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

That was exactly the goal this season.   Nobody should've seriously thought that training camp team was going to win a championship.    That was 100% about getting off that BOS pick.    I dont see how you don't see that. 

Wallace said at the start of the season that he wanted to make the playoffs and see what happens once they get there. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Wallace said at the start of the season that he wanted to make the playoffs and see what happens once they get there. 

Yea why exactly would he say the point was to convey the pick.    You think they should've printed up Growl towels for that??  I am saying that adding Garret Temple, SloMo and Shelvin Mack isn't exactly what teams do that are going for championships.  Aiming for the playoffs fully satisfies the goal of conveying a weak pick to BOS.

Guess some of ya'll need FO to spell out everything for you.    Just like the rebuild or retool.   If you are waiting on FO to put up a neon sign that says REBUILD on it in order to for you to declare it.   Then you are hopeless.    If the fact that Marc, Zbo, and Tony plus 90% of roster is different from training camp with Mike on his way out the door.   Doesn't show you that they are in the middle of a rebuild i don't know what to tell u.  

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea why exactly would he say the point was to convey the pick.    You think they should've printed up Growl towels for that??  I am saying that adding Garret Temple, SloMo and Shelvin Mack isn't exactly what teams do that are going for championships.  Aiming for the playoffs fully satisfies the goal of conveying a weak pick to BOS.

Guess some of ya'll need FO to spell out everything for you.    Just like the rebuild or retool.   If you are waiting on FO to put up a neon sign that says REBUILD on it in order to for you to declare it.   Then you are hopeless.    If the fact that Marc, Zbo, and Tony plus 90% of roster is different from training camp with Mike on his way out the door.   Doesn't show you that they are in the middle of a rebuild i don't know what to tell u.  

I was agreeing with GTF. Clearly if Wallace wanted to convey, making the playoffs would achieve that. 

44 minutes ago, Dwash said:

They will find out when these patch teams actually hit the court...again.

Who exactly would you put on the court??     You want us to run it back with Dorsey, CJ, Yuta, Washburn, and Holiday?     Let Jonas, Avery, and Delon walk?  

We aren't going to convey and aren't ready to win a championship yet.   Conley wants out.   What are we supposed to do??

1 hour ago, Teddy.B said:

Gasol dictates he wants to go to a  contender. Conley gets his overpaid max contract from Memphis and now wants to go to a contender. 

Memphis can't get out of it's ridiculous pick owed and can't pick top spots. 

This is beyond what a farm team would even do. It's really hard supporting this team while useless decision-makers ruin this franchise. 

Nobody was going to give Conley close to the max. Memphis gave him all the opportunity to succeed. He has done a lot for the franchise, but he should shut his pie hole about wanting out. 

Already been said,  if that's what he wants that's what he wants