Sign in to follow this  
Father Pat

Grizzlies last in NBA for revenue per game

"The Golden State Warriors lead the NBA in gate revenue per game at $3.4 million, followed by the New York Knicks at $2.9 million per game.

The Memphis Grizzlies are last in the NBA at less than $1 million per game." - Real GM

also from article; - http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/26149870/what-keeps-adam-silver-night

Not surprising with the last three seasons results, the lack of a true national star and a depressed market. 

It does underscore why not going I to the luxury tax is so important for the Grizzlies.

It also underscores why the team might be unable to afford full rebuild and tank route. Fans are already disappointed and constantly having worst financial results in the league is just asking to be relocated.

48 minutes ago, evilution said:

It also underscores why the team might be unable to afford full rebuild and tank route. Fans are already disappointed and constantly having worst financial results in the league is just asking to be relocated.

Literally the only players on this team from the last playoff appearance 3 years ago is Conley and Parsons. Pasons is only on the team because we can't get ride of him.

The grizzlies got a top 4 pick last year. Traded one of their core four members: Marc. How can they not afford what they are already affording.

The grizzlies are dead last for a reason.  

2 hours ago, Father Pat said:

"The Golden State Warriors lead the NBA in gate revenue per game at $3.4 million, followed by the New York Knicks at $2.9 million per game.

The Memphis Grizzlies are last in the NBA at less than $1 million per game." - Real GM

also from article; - http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/26149870/what-keeps-adam-silver-night

Great point and IMHO this is a large reason why FO would never declare a "rebuild" officially.  

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Not surprising with the last three seasons results, the lack of a true national star and a depressed market. 

It does underscore why not going I to the luxury tax is so important for the Grizzlies.

I disagree that this is a "depressed" market. I know the stats about Memphis being last is an issue, but let's try to be somewhat positive here. No matter what the facts are, the truth is I still and will forever be a Memphis grizzly fan. I'm sure you and the other posters on this board feel the same way too.

9 hours ago, UTGrizz said:

I disagree that this is a "depressed" market. I know the stats about Memphis being last is an issue, but let's try to be somewhat positive here. No matter what the facts are, the truth is I still and will forever be a Memphis grizzly fan. I'm sure you and the other posters on this board feel the same way too.

I meant economically depressed not emotionally depressed.

Besides Luka, JJJ is who most pundits believe will be a superstar out of this draft. Other teams would salivate over his potential and his performance this year. FO has to develop him and have a plan moving forward. Memphis fans will only attend games if we have a winning team and a plan. 

13 hours ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Should’ve drafted Trae Young

Yeah, Trae sells tickets.  His shooting stats might be all over the place, and my Trae Young comparison to Bob Cousy may turn out to be correct but I don't think anyone remembers me making that comparison, either here or on the other boards I post on.

If we have to sell TICKETS (as opposed to win ball games) then I am not sure who that is after Zion/Ja and probably RJ Barrett (maybe).  A high scoring shrimp?  A dynamic dunker?  A stretchy freak show like Bol Bol or Tacko Fall?  A local yokel like Jeremiah Martin (or Dedric Lawson)?  

A player with a great "floor game" might be our best pick if we stay in the top 8 -- but that might not sell tickets.  

If we need our own version of the Dallas Mavericks' Donkey Show then may I suggest RJ Barrett.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:00 AM, russian grizzly said:

This is a very LEGITIMATE reason for this team to be moved to another city. If decided to do so, Pera couldn`t be blamed.

No it isn’t. They would be moving teams all the time. 30 team league. Perfectly reasonable for the smallest market to be last in revenue.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:41 AM, MemphisX said:

No it isn’t. They would be moving teams all the time. 30 team league. Perfectly reasonable for the smallest market to be last in revenue.

Somebody will always be last. But there is a catch. 

". In order to receive the full revenue sharing benefits, the revenue structure requires small market teams to generate revenue equal to at least 70% of the league average.

This is where not drafting Trae Young, is becoming an issue. Trae sells tickets and he sells jerseys. The NBA is a guard league, tons of kids this day and age is modeling Steph Curry, not Karl-Anthony Towns or Nikola Jokic. I like JJJ and I think he'll be fine, but man Trae is just as good as JJJ (if not better) and he brings in money, unlike JJJ. But they had their chance.

3 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

This is where not drafting Trae Young, is becoming an issue. Trae sells tickets and he sells jerseys. The NBA is a guard league, tons of kids this day and age is modeling Steph Curry, not Karl-Anthony Towns or Nikola Jokic. I like JJJ and I think he'll be fine, but man Trae is just as good as JJJ (if not better) and he brings in money, unlike JJJ. But they had their chance.

Yep. Trae is just better and more exciting. Exactly what the Grizz needed. Missed their chance 

On 3/16/2019 at 1:41 AM, MemphisX said:

Valid point. Though too general which means may not necessarily work in the case at stake. 

9 hours ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Yep. Trae is just better and more exciting. Exactly what the Grizz needed. Missed their chance 

Guys - we`ll draft Garland and you get your fun back. But Atlanta will never get JJJ with his sky touching ceiling. 

1 minute ago, russian grizzly said:

Guys - we`ll draft Garland and you get your fun back. But Atlanta will never get JJJ with his sky touching ceiling. 

They’ve got a better PF prospect already. 

15 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

This would be a great theory if Atlanta didnt have even lower attendance than the Grizzlies, with a metropolitan area that is like 10 times bigger. The average Hawks attendance ballooned by 600 fans per game this year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

On 3/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah, Trae sells tickets.  His shooting stats might be all over the place, and my Trae Young comparison to Bob Cousy may turn out to be correct but I don't think anyone remembers me making that comparison, either here or on the other boards I post on.

If we have to sell TICKETS (as opposed to win ball games) then I am not sure who that is after Zion/Ja and probably RJ Barrett (maybe).  A high scoring shrimp?  A dynamic dunker?  A stretchy freak show like Bol Bol or Tacko Fall?  A local yokel like Jeremiah Martin (or Dedric Lawson)?  

A player with a great "floor game" might be our best pick if we stay in the top 8 -- but that might not sell tickets.  

If we need our own version of the Dallas Mavericks' Donkey Show then may I suggest RJ Barrett.

Taco is too slow for the NBA.  

Is there a way to trade down and take Romeo or Garland plus whatever they will throw in if we can't get a top 3 or 4?

3 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Taco is too slow for the NBA.  

Or maybe the game is too fast.  

Tacko Fall might not be what the NBA wants -- but he's what the NBA NEEDS.

"Slow it down big man! Slow it DOWN!"

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Or maybe the game is too fast.  

Tacko Fall might not be what the NBA wants -- but he's what the NBA NEEDS.

"Slow it down big man! Slow it DOWN!"

Taco Fall is spanish for Hasheem Thabeet 

Why not just get the 7-4 kid from Whitehaven H.S. - ?   He'll cost less and is plenty slow.

50 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Taco Fall is spanish for Hasheem Thabeet 

Why not just get the 7-4 kid from Whitehaven H.S. - ?   He'll cost less and is plenty slow.

Sure. Come on down Jordan Wilmore.

I saw Tacko Fall - for the first time - play a couple of weeks ago.  I was not at all impressed.  He is slow and has little instinct for the game.  He looks like someone who learned the game late in life.