GrizzTigerFan

If we convey should we ReTool or ReBuild?

ReTool or ReBuild?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. ReTool or ReBuild? Which Direction should we take?

• Keep all major pieces this summer and aim for playoffs
    • Flip all tradeable assets and start the full rebuild

9 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If we don't have a draft pick then Dillon and SloMo slot in pretty easily.  

Kyle is a superior option at SF over Holiday Miles because of the makeup of the Starting lineup. 

Mike + Avery + Kyle + JJJ + JV.    That is 4 guys that can score and need touches to be effective.   A versatile top notch defender like SloMo is the glue that binds them together.    He adds more playmaking and defense to that unit while JJJ ability to shoot 3s keeps the paint spaced for AB, Conley, and Jonas.   

Delon + Dillon + CJ + Rabb + Noah is balanced as well because you have 2 playmakers in Noah and Delon and interior scorer in Rabb and 2 floor spacers in Dillon and CJ.    No unproductive players have to be in your top 10 rotation because Holiday is gone and hopefully Parsons is waived. 

That starting defense would be great but the offense could struggle

8 hours ago, MemphisX said:

He has been garbage.  His only job is to shoot and he has shot 31% from deep in Memphis.  He will have 1 decent game and 2-3 terrible games.

Uhmmm so about CJ.....

11 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If we don't have a draft pick then Dillon and SloMo slot in pretty easily.  

Kyle is a superior option at SF over Holiday Miles because of the makeup of the Starting lineup. 

Mike + Avery + Kyle + JJJ + JV.    That is 4 guys that can score and need touches to be effective.   A versatile top notch defender like SloMo is the glue that binds them together.    He adds more playmaking and defense to that unit while JJJ ability to shoot 3s keeps the paint spaced for AB, Conley, and Jonas.   

Delon + Dillon + CJ + Rabb + Noah is balanced as well because you have 2 playmakers in Noah and Delon and interior scorer in Rabb and 2 floor spacers in Dillon and CJ.    No unproductive players have to be in your top 10 rotation because Holiday is gone and hopefully Parsons is waived. 

You swap Dillon for Kyle into your starting lineup. This gives the starting unit more shooting and one less guy that needs the ball in his hands to be effective. 

Kyle on the second unit gives you an extra ball handler and setup man for guys that can't get their own shot. 

Tonight should show you guys how far off we are. Atl has built through the draft. Even guys drafted in the late teens, but for a specific system, have so much more value than guys on the back end of their deal(every player we traded for) and guys like Caboclo. 

The team as constructed now is just bad. 

10 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

🤣💨

anybody else remember when we used to use poster's quotes as sigs around here ?

cause THIS would definitely rank right up there with the best !

Yep.  Seems like boards have a lot less useful functions than they used to.  

10 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Uhmmm so about CJ.....

Still applies...keep watching.  Also, watch the other end of the court.

If we do convey the pick, I want to spend the next 2 seasons developing Jaren at the 5.  This is the position in which Jaren can become special.  Same as AD.  Too skilled for big guys like JV and Gobert but too big for the smaller bigs.  Big dudes can't layoff on him because of his shooting.  Plus you can spread the floor more with him at the 5 unless you get another 5 that can shoot it. Don't want him to be dependent upon a point guard to create offense for him.

I don't care about Conley, JV or the playoffs.  Jaren needs to be developed into being a superstar and not a complimentary player.  If JB doesn't get it, fire him.  

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

Still applies...keep watching.  Also, watch the other end of the court.

He is still a useful player and if it was getting paid 4m then there would be no debate.   Dude has best net rtg on team and his floor spacing shot creation is a huge boost to the offense.     15-20m a game from him helps way more than it hurts.   Especially over playing dudes like Parsons and Holiday.   

In a reserve role its okay if your gunner isn't good on defense.   JCrawford and Lou Williams are terrible defenders too but have overall positive affect because of their offense.   CJ Miles presence spaces the floor better than any other option we have.   He has a quick release and deeper range on his shots than anyone else on roster. 

If your expectation is for him to drop 8 3s a  night while playing great defense than you are expecting way too much from somebody getting paid 8m per season. 

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

If we do convey the pick, I want to spend the next 2 seasons developing Jaren at the 5.  This is the position in which Jaren can become special.  Same as AD.  Too skilled for big guys like JV and Gobert but too big for the smaller bigs.  Big dudes can't layoff on him because of his shooting.  Plus you can spread the floor more with him at the 5 unless you get another 5 that can shoot it. Don't want him to be dependent upon a point guard to create offense for him.

I don't care about Conley, JV or the playoffs.  Jaren needs to be developed into being a superstar and not a complimentary player.  If JB doesn't get it, fire him.  

Who would you want at the 4?  Rebounding would suffer big-time with Jaren being the only Big.    That player would have to be really good too to keep the floor spread and cover for Jaren's rebounding. 

I agree with your premise of focusing on developing Jaren as a SuperStar but there is no reason why he can't do that as a 4 either.  

Jaren should be depeloped to the level of versatility when he is able to easily play either 4 or 5 depending on opposite team weakness spots and other factors. Therefore, he should be surrounded with all types of role bigs.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Who would you want at the 4?  Rebounding would suffer big-time with Jaren being the only Big.    That player would have to be really good too to keep the floor spread and cover for Jaren's rebounding. 

I agree with your premise of focusing on developing Jaren as a SuperStar but there is no reason why he can't do that as a 4 either.  

Likely someone in HS right now lol. I’d let Rabb play and hope he developed some trade value.

The Grizzlies have already said he will eventually be a 5. I think they need to see exactly what we need on the roster with him as the primary 5.

51 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

I would say this discussion has lost its sense after the game in Atlanta. 

Nah it is still relevant.  Nobody should've expected us to go undefeated.   Grizzlies have been losing to medicore teams while beating good ones for like 8 years now.    That's in our DNA lol. 

26 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Likely someone in HS right now lol. I’d let Rabb play and hope he developed some trade value.

The Grizzlies have already said he will eventually be a 5. I think they need to see exactly what we need on the roster with him as the primary 5.

LOL yea that's the problem its gonna take a magical mythical player to grow with him to do it that way.     5 out offense is the logical next step in NBA evolution. 

29 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

Jaren should be depeloped to the level of versatility when he is able to easily play either 4 or 5 depending on opposite team weakness spots and other factors. Therefore, he should be surrounded with all types of role bigs.

I think this is ultimately the best strategy  to fully "unlock" his potential.  Exploit his versatility. 

53 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

LOL yea that's the problem its gonna take a magical mythical player to grow with him to do it that way.     5 out offense is the logical next step in NBA evolution. 

I think this is ultimately the best strategy  to fully "unlock" his potential.  Exploit his versatility. 

Not mythical. There are plenty of them and if you pay attention to high school hoops,, most bugs coming up can shoot. I don’t think it is as hard as we make it out to be if we are not trying to piece meal a bottom rung playoff team together.

But none of these discussions matter if the front office situation remains the same. 

36 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

But none of these discussions matter if the front office situation remains the same. 

right.

41 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Not mythical. There are plenty of them and if you pay attention to high school hoops,, most bugs coming up can shoot. I don’t think it is as hard as we make it out to be if we are not trying to piece meal a bottom rung playoff team together.

#Facts

7 hours ago, MemphisX said:

I really hope we clean house after this season. We need new guys making the calls.

Make both things. 

My dream scenario is we get the 1st and draft Zion.

Trade CJ + pick in a salary dump trade to the Hawks

Trade Parsons + two future unprotected 1sts for Beal

Give Delon QO, resign Bradley, Holiday and JV for deals that suit them better.

MC/Delon/Carter 

Beal/Bradley/Dorsey

Holiday/Dillon/Yuta

Zion/SlowMo/Caboclo

Jaren/JV/Rabb

If we stay where we are in the draft 

Draft Culver 

Trade CJ + Rabb in a salary dump trade to the Hawks

Give Delon QO, resign Bradley, Holiday, Noah and JV.

MC/Delon/Carter

Bradley/Culver/Dorsey

Holiday/Dillon/Yuta

SlowMo/Caboclo/Parsons

Jaren/JV/Noah

I trully believe that both of those teams convey the pick next year, but if we are not in Playoffs seed by the trade deadline in the second scenario, we could make a deal with Conley and go big in FA after Parsons expire.

22 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Efficiency vs Pace is the logical next step. Part of the reason that GS and other teams do well with the 3 ball is because they run up the possessions: it's no coincidence that the grizzlies were able to beat GS so much, because they attacked gs on 2 fronts. First limiting possessions means that GS had to shoot a high percentage from 3 than they normally would, and the grizzlies were more efficient because of the reliance on 2s.

I think a hybrid of what the grizzlies did and what gs does is actually the next step. Guys that can shot 3s, but also defend and postup, will be in demand. Size, size, size.