GrizzTigerFan

If we convey should we ReTool or ReBuild?

ReTool or ReBuild?  

29 members have voted

  1. 1. ReTool or ReBuild? Which Direction should we take?

    • Keep all major pieces this summer and aim for playoffs
      17
    • Flip all tradeable assets and start the full rebuild
      12


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Ok since we are going that route (thats not my "mindset" but lets play) lets discuss guys who "won" like Pierce, Dwade, Duncan, Lebron/Kyrie, Steph, Dirk, Kobe, Jordan, Hakeem, Bird, Isiah, Magic(yeah Kobe went #13 no way that would happen today with a prospect like him). How did their teams get them?

Other than Lebron and Curry, most of those players you mentioned were back in a totally different age of basketball. When David Robinson came to the Spurs in 89, they went from 21 wins the year before robinson to 56 wins with him. Compare that to deandre ayton. 

Free agency was different, back then. Not to mention the fact that none of those teams, other than the rockets, did what you suggest the grizzlies to to do: tank.

After the rockets tanked for 2 years in a row to get Sampson the year before and then hakeem the year after, the lottery rules were changed.

Not to mention the fact that it took hakeem 10 years to win a championship, and there were many 1 and playoff dones, before the rockets assembled enough talent around him for hakeem to be successful, and let me give you a clue, they did not do it by tanking for #1 picks, or trading hakeem after year 7 because he was on the wrong side of 30.

Magic came to a team that had arguably the best center of all time (maybe player) of all time on that team. The lakers BOUGHT kobe a top 5 center of all time for 100 million dollars. Do you see tank anywhere in there?

Likewise with dirk, it took years before the mavs got veterans around him (not rookies, vets) around him, to win a championship. They didn't TANK for another superstar to go with him.

I fail to see any correlation here. In fact, the closest player to a kobe-like draft pick was and is the greek freak, a player who was very raw and was drafted late in the draft.

Paul Pierce did nothing until boston traded al jefferson to minny to get (a rookie, no) to get KG and then they got ray allen, two future hall of famers (tank free).

Face it, man. No team has done what you want to do and was successful at it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say keep the bulk of young pieces. JJJ, Dillon, KA, JV, DW, and let the vets keep doing their thing. Mike Conley and AB

inagree with Grizz tiger fan. We have essentially already retooled. We do need a couple more draft picks however. We are still looking for that superstar. 

But main pieces from what we have seen so far are not bad and still relatively young and in their primes.

i wanted to not convey this year for a top 4 pick but it’s not looking like that is going to happen.

other than that the fact is that we will most likely be a lot better this next year than people think. Our offense has improved drastically. Since the all star break I think we are avg 113ppg. That puts us 11th in the NBA over the past three games I believe and had we done this to begin with solidly in the top 15.

We are still ranked #1 in defense too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people who chose option one surely want to keep our pick this year right? It’s counterproductive otherwise. The fact the team wants to convey is telling you we will be BAD the next two years. There’s no in between. That’s why we should’ve ranked once we fell out of the race this year. Get a high pick them try to compete. 

But nope. Going all out to convey is showing the front office plans to be bad for two years at least. And if not then they have no clue what’s going on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

The people who chose option one surely want to keep our pick this year right? It’s counterproductive otherwise. The fact the team wants to convey is telling you we will be BAD the next two years. There’s no in between. That’s why we should’ve ranked once we fell out of the race this year. Get a high pick them try to compete. 

But nope. Going all out to convey is showing the front office plans to be bad for two years at least. And if not then they have no clue what’s going on. 

I disagree, this team is not going to be that bad for the next 2 year, I see them being a playoff team NEXT year if they keep the players they currently have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree too. This team can be a good team. If JJJ improve a lot and beconme the star we all expect then in 2 years this team cam be very great. JV is young and did probably not show his best yet, Mike can be good for another 2 or 3 years.

Threw all this for one or two hypothetic great pick is quite dangerous and if it turn wrong, we can be stuck for 10 years with a bad team. You know what you have and dont go what you can get.  And what we have is not bas at all. Im so pleased to see Mike playing his way, and the others guys playing like crazy and having fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BAMAFREAK said:

The people who chose option one surely want to keep our pick this year right? It’s counterproductive otherwise. The fact the team wants to convey is telling you we will be BAD the next two years. There’s no in between. That’s why we should’ve ranked once we fell out of the race this year. Get a high pick them try to compete. 

But nope. Going all out to convey is showing the front office plans to be bad for two years at least. And if not then they have no clue what’s going on. 

Thats out of the window but is something I wanted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I disagree too. This team can be a good team. If JJJ improve a lot and beconme the star we all expect then in 2 years this team cam be very great. JV is young and did probably not show his best yet, Mike can be good for another 2 or 3 years.

Threw all this for one or two hypothetic great pick is quite dangerous and if it turn wrong, we can be stuck for 10 years with a bad team. You know what you have and dont go what you can get.  And what we have is not bas at all. Im so pleased to see Mike playing his way, and the others guys playing like crazy and having fun.

This team can win with MC playing bad. Just look back at the past games, he hasn't been playing very good early in those games but yet the Grizz are still right with them. The last 2 teams they have beaten right now are playoff teams and they should've beaten OKC 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier on before the trade I was in the blow it up section,  but I think with the trades we've gotten better and can be a solid team.  I know being "solid," isn't as appealing to some but I'm sure solid is better than being terrible. The biggest issue though is how do you improve a solid team in a less appealing market? You have to draft, which isnt as easy with a solid team or buy one,  and this whole Parsons fiasco put a horrible taste in my mouth. I sure hope we don't make the same mistake twice when his salary clears,  and on too of that how does Dillon and slowmo fit into this? It seems dillon has some value so maybe if necessary we could flip him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dwash said:

The other key is dont pick Josh Jackson or Andrew Wiggins or Thomas Robinson or Ben McLemore or Emmanuel Mudiay types with early picks. That is what stalled teams like Minny, Pho, Sac the most. Just picking raw athletes who cant play with valuable picks. Picks the best PLAYER early on, then guys that compliment their style, even if they are upperclassmen

How would you know if you are picking these type guys? They thought they were getting superstars when they picked them too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we have aome nice pieces. Parsons money, Holiday, maybe Rabb, can free up enough money for a lot of teams thats going to need that relief. 

Mike will be expiring soon so there os more money to trade. We don't have to blow everything up. Just the expirings.

JV is a walking double double. Why get rid of that?? When you KNOW what you got. JV, AB are great pieces to have with a cpl of young guys coming up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rebuild. Need to start our next version. Need to rebuild in the FO as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I disagree, this team is not going to be that bad for the next 2 year, I see them being a playoff team NEXT year if they keep the players they currently have. 

Ok, then why on earth wouldn’t you want to keep the pick this year? That would be ignorant if you think we will be solid from here on out. 

But I believe the disconnect between myself and other posters is that my goal is to win a championship, a lot of yalls os to be “not that bad”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tjazz22 said:

How would you know if you are picking these type guys? They thought they were getting superstars when they picked them too.

Those guys were all considered low IQ or low energy (Wiggins) when they got picked. Example of a guy I wouldnt pick this year is Nassir Little. Cam Reddish has also been given that low energy tag so I would probably be leery of him. I think people kinda know in their hearts. It seems like once the stars are gone you go with the flawed "could be" a star based on their athleticism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Ok, then why on earth wouldn’t you want to keep the pick this year? That would be ignorant if you think we will be solid from here on out. 

But I believe the disconnect between myself and other posters is that my goal is to win a championship, a lot of yalls os to be “not that bad”. 

That certainly isnt true, 6-8 doesnt have high end talent which is why I dont want this pick. I think you might have those goals backwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

That certainly isnt true, 6-8 doesnt have high end talent which is why I dont want this pick. I think you might have those goals backwards.

There is a much, much better chance at acquiring an elite talent from the 6 hole, especially with the new odds, than from any other year outside the top 10. 

So do you think this team is back in the bottom 6-8 the next two years? If so, then you are ok, but if you think we will be a middle of the pack treadmill team then you should want the pick this year. It’s simple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

There is a much, much better chance at acquiring an elite talent from the 6 hole, especially with the new odds, than from any other year outside the top 10. 

So do you think this team is back in the bottom 6-8 the next two years? If so, then you are ok, but if you think we will be a middle of the pack treadmill team then you should want the pick this year. It’s simple. 

I think once Conley falls off/traded they will be terrible. He is 32 now and it happened fast for a guy like Tony Parker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike is having maybe his best year ever as a Grizz. Maybe slowing it down and force feeding ZBo and Marc affected his game. Maybe moving Marc out on the perimeter affected his game. Maybe having no real shooting guard since OJ Mayo affected his game. Maybe having two non-shooters in the starting lineup affected his game. Even though it's a sample sample size, the starting lineup has four shooters, two guards that can create their own shot, and a strong defensive-minded starting lineup. Besides Parson, who do we NEED to get rid of? Keep the pick, draft another scorer, resign Wright, Noah, and JV, and call it a day. Rethink the FO and coach. We'll be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Ok, then why on earth wouldn’t you want to keep the pick this year? That would be ignorant if you think we will be solid from here on out. 

But I believe the disconnect between myself and other posters is that my goal is to win a championship, a lot of yalls os to be “not that bad”. 

I did say I would keep the pick this year but there could be a lot more to it than that, they may be trying to get the fans back out to the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, f-dizzle said:

Mike is having maybe his best year ever as a Grizz. Maybe slowing it down and force feeding ZBo and Marc affected his game. Maybe moving Marc out on the perimeter affected his game. Maybe having no real shooting guard since OJ Mayo affected his game. Maybe having two non-shooters in the starting lineup affected his game. Even though it's a sample sample size, the starting lineup has four shooters, two guards that can create their own shot, and a strong defensive-minded starting lineup. Besides Parson, who do we NEED to get rid of? Keep the pick, draft another scorer, resign Wright, Noah, and JV, and call it a day. Rethink the FO and coach. We'll be fine. 

Maybe Marc being on the team period affected his game. I really believe that Marc leaving was a colonic for Mike. As long as Marc was there, Mike always tried to do what Marc needed, more than anything. Now that he's gone, Mike can really go out there and play free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I think once Conley falls off/traded they will be terrible. He is 32 now and it happened fast for a guy like Tony Parker.

That's sure strange, he kicks MC tail every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I think once Conley falls off/traded they will be terrible. He is 32 now and it happened fast for a guy like Tony Parker.

Mike is 31, won't be 32 til October, or another words, next year.

You can make your point without lying about the truth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now