GrizzTigerFan

If we convey should we ReTool or ReBuild?

ReTool or ReBuild?  

29 members have voted

  1. 1. ReTool or ReBuild? Which Direction should we take?

    • Keep all major pieces this summer and aim for playoffs
      17
    • Flip all tradeable assets and start the full rebuild
      12


Recommended Posts

There is currently a debate over whether to keep or move on from our current roster this summer if we convey.     Personally i am conflicted. 

Some people view keeping them as a signal that FO isn't invested in improving the team.  They want to flip them and sign better Free Agents.     Others view the success they are starting to achieve and want to further develop it.    Who is correct?

 If FO does bring back Mike, Delon, CJ, Jonas, Avery, and Noah there will be no money to make any additional impact signings.    Those WILL be our signings.    So those that want to run it back are banking on continued success and development but to what end?    Fighting for 7-8th seed in the West again?   Fear of losing fanbase in this market is always part of the equation. 

Those who want to blow it up are saying they want to build back up thru the draft and free agency.   Removing those guys will "help" the tank going forward, according to them.   In that scenario roster construction will be at the mercy of trade returns mostly.   More than likely that team will be full of bad contracts as well.    It will have younger assets but more than likely it will take those assets 3-4yrs to get to the level of mediocrity we are now.     What Free Agents are going to want to come to a tanking team?   If any do they are either marginal or getting overpaid.  

 

Which view is correct? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanking helps - some times to some teams. Look how many years of tanking Philly needed to fight for 3rd spot in the East 🧐 And NY got Amare and Melo as best FA's/trade deals willing to play there after years of treadmill and tanking. So, winning is best way to attract FA's when being rather small market entity. And THIS team is capable of winning. Therefore add some missing piece, foster and grow JJJ and other youngsters and sunshine will come to Memphis!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rebuild. The team is still going to be heavily dependent on Conley for perimeter shot making and he could fall off at any point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rebuild. What would be the point of retooling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Allen said:

Rebuild. What would be the point of retooling?

If we bring everyone back then the goal is playoffs not tanking.     Technically we have completely revamped the roster but with alot of dudes in the middle of their primes.   No way you have a team full of those type of players and goal is lottery.  

It has been rumored that FO doesn't believe the Memphis market could handle a prolonged rebuild.   They believe they have already reaped the reward of a tank (Jaren) and want to get back to competitive basketball now.   Current team does represent competitive basketball.   Trade Conley and Avery and that tells me you are in a rebuild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rebuild. No point in retooling. Even small, even little, just ZERO. 

We must add 2 young stars to Junior. Other stuff is making me just entertained but I do care only about the goal of landing three max players here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

There is currently a debate over whether to keep or move on from our current roster this summer if we convey.     Personally i am conflicted. 

Some people view keeping them as a signal that FO isn't invested in improving the team.  They want to flip them and sign better Free Agents.     Others view the success they are starting to achieve and want to further develop it.    Who is correct?

 If FO does bring back Mike, Delon, CJ, Jonas, Avery, and Noah there will be no money to make any additional impact signings.    Those WILL be our signings.    So those that want to run it back are banking on continued success and development but to what end?    Fighting for 7-8th seed in the West again?   Fear of losing fanbase in this market is always part of the equation. 

Those who want to blow it up are saying they want to build back up thru the draft and free agency.   Removing those guys will "help" the tank going forward, according to them.   In that scenario roster construction will be at the mercy of trade returns mostly.   More than likely that team will be full of bad contracts as well.    It will have younger assets but more than likely it will take those assets 3-4yrs to get to the level of mediocrity we are now.     What Free Agents are going to want to come to a tanking team?   If any do they are either marginal or getting overpaid.  

 

Which view is correct? 

 

Shouldn"t you have said US, not them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Rebuild. The team is still going to be heavily dependent on Conley for perimeter shot making and he could fall off at any point.

Which is why they keep Avery.   His presence has GREATLY eased the dependency on Conley in overall offense.  He is a legit 15ppg scorer which is something Conley hasn't had since he became a scoring threat himself. 

 I also think Mike presence helps  Jonas greatly too.    Teams will have to pick their poison when Conley is on the perimeter. 

 But if you keep Avery and Conley then you aren't rebuilding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't have the assets to retool any more. I don't think we need to tank for a decade to accumulate high lottery picks, but we need at least one more of those (I'd say two, but that would depend on who we pick) and we're not going to do it if we try to push for the playoffs next season. It's not that I am for tanking, I'm just realistic and I don't think our rosters next two seasons are going to be able to make it into the playoffs, let alone advance.

That doesn't mean we have to sell everyone. Some of our current assets may play a role in a rebuild. I just wouldn't get married to anyone that's not going to be here when JJJ's rookie contract expires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If we bring everyone back then the goal is playoffs not tanking.     Technically we have completely revamped the roster but with alot of dudes in the middle of their primes.   No way you have a team full of those type of players and goal is lottery.  

It has been rumored that FO doesn't believe the Memphis market could handle a prolonged rebuild.   They believe they have already reaped the reward of a tank (Jaren) and want to get back to competitive basketball now.   Current team does represent competitive basketball.   Trade Conley and Avery and that tells me you are in a rebuild. 

By going for retooling we shut the door for a chance to have a contender in Memphis.

Secondly, I believe that the team with JJJ, Rabb, Bradley, Mr.Anderson, Brooks can be still attractive and entertaining to follow even though they will likely end up in top-6 of the draft.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fanboyslim said:

We don't have the assets to retool any more. I don't think we need to tank for a decade to accumulate high lottery picks, but we need at least one more of those (I'd say two, but that would depend on who we pick) and we're not going to do it if we try to push for the playoffs next season. It's not that I am for tanking, I'm just realistic and I don't think our rosters next two seasons are going to be able to make it into the playoffs, let alone advance.

That doesn't mean we have to sell everyone. Some of our current assets may play a role in a rebuild. I just wouldn't get married to anyone that's not going to be here when JJJ's rookie contract expires.

Yes we don't have the assets to further retool.  However, i would argue that our trade deadline deals were the retool.   We have pretty much a completely new roster from opening night.   That is the very definition of a retool.  We just didn't wait till the offseason to do it.   In the summer FO would basically just extending/restructuring their deals which would match up with Jaren's by default.   Bradley was the target before we signed Kyle.  Delon was on Grizz radar as well.   Wallace has been stalking CJ Miles for years.    These guys are absolutely the apex of what we would've signed anyway.   That is why they represent the reTool. 

The hesitancy comes into play if we do move on from (Jonas, Avery, Mike, and Noah) to rebuild - we could potentially be stuck for a decade (IE Suns and TWolves). 

if i read you correctly, you want to split the difference and keep some of the new guys going forward, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

By going for retooling we shut the door for a chance to have a contender in Memphis.

Secondly, I believe that the team with JJJ, Rabb, Bradley, Mr.Anderson, Brooks can be still attractive and entertaining to follow even though they will likely end up in top-6 of the draft.  

So you define rebuild as trading Conley, Jonas, and not resigning Delon?   Yes, if those are the Top 5 players in the roster then that def is a Top 6 lottery team. 

To clarify i believe the ReTool has already occurred.  We just havent seen it to its fullest potential due to injuries of JJJ, Dillon, and Slomo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

So you define rebuild as trading Conley, Jonas, and not resigning Delon?   Yes, if those are the Top 5 players in the roster then that def is a Top 6 lottery team. 

To clarify i believe the ReTool has already occurred.  We just havent seen it to its fullest potential due to injuries of JJJ, Dillon, and Slomo. 

We surely shall resign Delon! He is a real asset. 

You see the retooling process due to the horrible market for both Gasol and Conley in this February. 

I believe this team would nicely fight for each and every game, win from time to time but still landed in top-6 next year: 

Wright/Carter - Bradley/Brooks - Anderson/Miles/Parsons - Junior/Bruno - Rabb/Felicio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If we bring everyone back then the goal is playoffs not tanking.     Technically we have completely revamped the roster but with alot of dudes in the middle of their primes.   No way you have a team full of those type of players and goal is lottery.  

It has been rumored that FO doesn't believe the Memphis market could handle a prolonged rebuild.   They believe they have already reaped the reward of a tank (Jaren) and want to get back to competitive basketball now.   Current team does represent competitive basketball.   Trade Conley and Avery and that tells me you are in a rebuild. 

I just have zero interest in being a middle of the pack team that has no chance at a championship.  That seems to be all that a lot of y’all are shooting for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

We surely shall resign Delon! He is a real asset. 

You see the retooling process due to the horrible market for both Gasol and Conley in this February. 

I believe this team would nicely fight for each and every game, win from time to time but still landed in top-6 next year: 

Wright/Carter - Bradley/Brooks - Anderson/Miles/Parsons - Junior/Bruno - Rabb/Felicio

Last 11 games Grizz ranks 25th in offense and 1rst in defense.    Its a pretty good chance the ReTooled Grizzlies would be serious competitors for a Playoff spot next season.    

However, that is not the same as being a championship contender longterm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Allen said:

I just have zero interest in being a middle of the pack team. That seems to be all that a lot of y’all are shooting for 

I understand that viewpoint and agree with you that is ultimately the goal if team stays as is with no additional picks. 

Which is why i wanted to keep the pick this year at least.  Because i believe this same squad would easily convey next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I understand that viewpoint and agree with you that is ultimately the goal if team stays as is with no additional picks. 

Which is why i wanted to keep the pick this year at least.  Because i believe this same squad would easily convey next year. 

What would be the point of waiting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team is gone be bad for a few years one way or the other. The main factor is whether you trade Conley or just let him die off. Its no need to skate around that for another year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Last 11 games Grizz ranks 25th in offense and 1rst in defense.    Its a pretty good chance the ReTooled Grizzlies would be serious competitors for a Playoff spot next season.    

However, that is not the same as being a championship contender longterm. 

That is exactly the point. You are trading 2 years of fighting for the 1 round in playoff for a chance to see three Juniors in Memphis and watching them f...king literally everyone across the League without respect and hesitation on a permanent basis for 5--7 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, russian grizzly said:

That is exactly the point. You are trading 2 years of fighting for the 1 round in playoff for a chance to see three Juniors in Memphis and watching them f...king literally everyone across the League without respect and hesitation on a permanent basis for 5--7 years. 

There is no guarantee that would happen either.  Recently PHO and PHI and CAVS drafted numerous Top 3 picks and have very few success stories to show for it.  It's a gamble either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

There is no guarantee that would happen either.  Recently PHO and PHI and CAVS drafted numerous Top 3 picks and have very few success stories to show for it.  It's a gamble either way. 

No guarantee in anything. Look at Lebron in Lakers. But tell me with the open heart that a chance I described above isn`t worth trying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

waiting on rebuild or getting a pick?

Waiting to convey 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Allen said:

Waiting to convey 

To go ahead and get a high draft pick now to start developing.  Because i am starting to believe they will run this same squad back next year and we won't have another chance at a high lottery pick till Conley is gone. 

Isn't a Top 6 pick today better than a mid first rd pick 2 years from now?   

Why wait for the pick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now