I❤️JV

DO YOU WANT JV TO OPT IN?

9 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

Gasol looks awful.

Agree, Mephis really robbed Toronto. But Raptors Gm deserves it by how they not uses JV and his possibilities. GM maybe wanted names to keep Kawhi. But not only names win basketball. Even more - when that names plays poor basket. Not blaming Gasol just, bad work of raptors GM for sure. It would be fun for next year, lots of sunset players and no Kawhi.. 

11 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

And he became the team guy and glue that pulled the Raptors together for what they have become.  A top 4 team in the league.  

I think this is where you sound a bit biased. I would say Leonard, OG and Lowry were also very instrumental in this.

At 26 years old I am not sure why you would say he is not in Memphis window to contend.  Sorry, all bias's aside...dont agree with you at all.  And his basketball IQ is in top 10% of the league.  What is not to like about JV and the future in Memphis

I think I explained it quite well. JJJ (theoretically the future "face" of our franchise) is the youngest player in the NBA - he just turned 19 in December. So JV will be 27 in May of this year. He is seven years older than JJJ.  

I could definitely see JV as a long term fit for a team like the Kings. They have guys in place already in Buddy Hield same age as JV and Fox a little older than JJJ (21). 

If the Grizzlies were to move away from Jackson Jr. I would love to keep JV around and try to remain somewhat competitive, but again if we are rebuilding for the next 3-4 years why would JV want to be here?

34 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

I think this is where you sound a bit biased. I would say Leonard, OG and Lowry were also very instrumental in this.

Leonard barely talks and never pumps up others...talented?  Heck yes.  Team glue, no way...OG is just trying his best to stay relevant and get floor time...had a disappointing year to date and he has had multiple personal leaves from the team this year...team glue? not with OG...Lowry is difficult to figure out...a lot of Raptors fans thought he was more of the reason the Raptors collapsed in playoffs...not sure about Kyle.

I think I explained it quite well. JJJ (theoretically the future "face" of our franchise) is the youngest player in the NBA - he just turned 19 in December. So JV will be 27 in May of this year. He is seven years older than JJJ.  

I could definitely see JV as a long term fit for a team like the Kings. They have guys in place already in Buddy Hield same age as JV and Fox a little older than JJJ (21). 

If the Grizzlies were to move away from Jackson Jr. I would love to keep JV around and try to remain somewhat competitive, but again if we are rebuilding for the next 3-4 years why would JV want to be here?

To be honest, I have not seen much of JJJ.  I'll give you that he is young...but he hasn't proven much yet...in 3 years JV is not yet 30...and that is old for centers?  Hey if the consensus is from Grizzlies fans and ownership they can do without JV, then he will figure that out at end of season and leave...i personally think he will have multiple options.  But from watching the Grizz the last month, I think they need a big upgrade in shooting from 3 point, and begin the process to mentor a replacement for MC who is creeping up in age...

7 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

To be honest, I have not seen much of JJJ.  I'll give you that he is young...but he hasn't proven much yet...in 3 years JV is not yet 30...and that is old for centers?  Hey if the consensus is from Grizzlies fans and ownership they can do without JV, then he will figure that out at end of season and leave...i personally think he will have multiple options.  But from watching the Grizz the last month, I think they need a big upgrade in shooting from 3 point, and begin the process to mentor a replacement for MC who is creeping up in age...

I agree with you here.   No reason why JV can't be signed on a 3yr deal.   His playstyle shouldn't interfere with Jaren's development.   Did Siakim play alongside JV much in TOR?  JJJ and his game are pretty comparable.   If JV and Siakim could co-exist then so can JJJ. 

That's my issue too with not hvaing a draft pick.  We have nobody on roster capable of becoming lead PG in the future.   Delon is fine as a transitional guy at best.  Jevon hasn't shown he is capable of being anything more than 3rd string. 

Im hoping like Hell we resign JV to a 3-4yr deal!! He's exactly what we need next to JJ. A big bruising bodyguard. He rebounds and plays hard. Can score and takes advantage of mismatches QUICKLY. The more I see him the more I like. He's not a great 3pt shooter, but looks like he's trying to work on it. I don't want him to 3 happy anyways. Just be capable and he's good. And he's only 26. By the time his contract would be up. It'll be time for JJ to get paid and we should have his "Robin" here and developed by then.

1 hour ago, SC Grizz said:

I think I would agree with this if Jaren wasn't already really good.

31 minutes ago, Acehigh718 said:

I think I would agree with this if Jaren wasn't already really good.

How good is JJJ next to JV? 

Are we trying to win next year or get another good prospect?

Does that answer change based on whether we convey our pick this year or not?

Depending on all these variables resigning JV to a 3-4yr deal either may or may not make sense. Again if we are a rebuilding team for the next 3 year why would JV want to spend his prime years in a rebuild? 

The guy is playing great ball I am just trying to be realistic about where this team is at. 

14 hours ago, Dwash said:

Boy I took a peak at the boards and they are really hating Gasol in Toronto. Looks useless on a team that isnt running every play for him. No more excuses about how bad his team is, no more stat padding with high usage. Downhill just came fast.

Exceprts from Raptors Republic.  

"Agree to disagree. Maybe I'm seeing something else. But I saw a lot of post ups tonight and passing it to him to finish at the rim. Now I'm not saying we didn't use him properly a few times tonight but not as much as you're making it seem in my humble opinion. But anyway at the end of the day Marc and Lin have to be better as well. 2 points ain't gonna cut it. Marc has to stop doing that fadeaway jumper every time he posts up."

"Gasol's defense is not amazing either."

"They should focus more on Gasol's scoring imo, there's been too much focus on his passing. Have some plays for him, postup, pop to the 3pt line, midrange etc.. He needs to develop the gravity he had in Memphis. If that happens, then his passing will become more impactful as opposing defences divert more of their attention to his shot."

"I agree. His 3 point shooting is way down. He is averaging 1 3 point shot a game for us, averaged 4 in Memphis. Some pick and pops, post ups, would be nice."
I don't know if its more the team looking him off, or Gasol deferring..but he's completely being wasted in this offense. He should be one of the "big 3" at all times when he's on the court, not the 4th or 5th option "big center" or whatever role it is he's in at the moment

Now here is a killer analysis from an astute Raptor fan. 

So, yesterday I was going through some Gasol stats for my pleasure and then this popped out at me :

- 70% of his 2pt makes (dunks, layups, mid-range) come off assists (this season). With raptors it's 75%!!! (Last year it was 66% of his makes).
- 100% of his 3pt makes come off assists (no surprise here).
- So on 78% of his total makes he's being directly helped/assisted, yet his overall shooting percentage is only 47% with the raptors (on only 8.4 attempts/game) and a shooting percentage of only 44% on increased volume with the grizzlies (on 12.9 attempts/game).

This means, he is unable + he is extremely inefficient creating/converting his own offense. You can not expect him to carry your team on offense, when other offensive players are struggling and are not creating the offensive plays for Gasol.

Just to give you for comparison's sake a devil which we all know well in Jonas Valanciunas :

- Only 60% of JV's 2pt makes came off assists (Raptors). With Grizz he's at only 53% off his makes being assisted.
- 100% of his 3pt makes come off assists (no surprise here).
- On 55% of his total makes is JV being assisted, yet his overall shooting percentage is at 58% with raptors (9.6 attempts/game) and has even improved with the Grizz to 61.5% (despite attempts increasing to 13 attempts/game and being less assisted on those).

So when I saw those stats, all of a sudden, the observed Gasol struggles in Toronto so far, made total sense and I started understanding all other aspects where it trickles down.

Let me explain, what I mean:

1) First, our offense runs primarily through Kawhi, Lowry and Siakam (ball in their hands for decisions).
To maximize Gasol's impact, you have to run offense through him, so he can make those passes of his. But the very construct of this team, puts him already at 4th option (ball in hands for decisions) at the very best if he plays with the starters. So his passing ability with the starters is negated by how we run offenses. The bench can't make shots. So neither lineup can ever use his passing potential to the fullest or consistently enough and so his passing/creating impact will remain very limited on most nights with this iteration of the team.

2) With the passing being hampered, to make things even worse for Gasol on offense is quite simple at that point. Always keep a body in front of him. Deny any passes to him where he can quickly score or just remain in front of him on any pick&roll or pick&pop action. His shooting is abysmal when he's got a man in front of him and contesting. He can't create his own offense at the efficiency needed to even stay afloat against mediocre opposing teams. And even if he gets assisted on 80% of his shot attempts, he'll still only shoot 44-47% from the field overall. So his scoring is dependent on others creating for him and even then he's still a net negative on average.
The only way for him to become a consistent plus scorer for this team is to start shooting a high percentage from 3 (north of 40%) on at least 4 tries per game (he's currently averaging 1 attempt/game >>> Gasol's 3point attempts must increase immediately!!!!).

3) Gasol's defense has not been very good, nor has it been improving with the games accumulating.

Gasol's defensive rating with the raptors is at 108.4. With the Grizzlies it was a little better at 105.0.
For comparisons sake : JV had defensive rating of 101.8 with the raptors in a similar role. With the Grizz JV is at 103.0.

Overall Rating:

Gasol with Raps :
Off 110.2 Def 108.4 Net rat: +1.8
Gasol with Grizz :
Off 105.0 Def 105.4 Net rat: -0.4

JV with Raps :
Off 106.7 Def 101.3 Net rat : +5.4
JV with Grizz :
Off 108.7 Def 103.0 Net rat : +5.7

Consider also that Gasol has played a higher % of games with the starters than JV did on the Raptors. Gasol should have an advantage, but numbers say otherwise.

Just for the sake of it, here are the raw stats for comparison :

Players with Raptors :
Gasol:
Min---Pts---Rbs---Ast---FG%---3pFG%---FT%---BLK---(+/-)
23.1--9.9---6.1---3.6---47%---36.4%---73.9%-1.0---(+0.9)
JV:
18.8-12.8---7.2---1.0---57.5%-30.0%---81.9%-0.8---(+2.3)

Players with Grizz :
Gasol:
33.7-15.7---8.6---4.7---44.4%-34.4%---75.6%-1.2---(-0.9)
JV:
25.8-19.2---8.9---2.1---61.5%-33.3%---76.5%-1.1---(+2.8)

A side note : intersetingly enough, Memphis have the best defensive rating in the league since All-Star break. That is with JV starting.

In other words - we won that trade by a landslide.  

I'll say it again "Fit and Oppurtunity" are everything in the NBA.    Jonas is a much better fit for us going forward than Marc would be.    Once Jaren comes back Jonas deficiencies on defense won't be as pronounced because he can cover for him. 

Resign the Big Bearded Lithuanian!  

Oh an another reason i want Jonas and Noah back is they are the best screen setters we have had in forever.    Not enough people are looking at the correlation between our guards (conley and avery) both have career scoring highs within a month of each other.    That is no coincidence.   Noah and JV get them some really open shots in midrange when they set screens.    Its a huge luxury having TWO centers that both can operate in PickNRoll and set hard screens.    How many of our previous bigs set good hard screens?   

Avery and Mike are good shooters so giving them that much daylight only increases their effectiveness.   As long as we have both Jonas and Noah setting screens for them; they will be able to keep their % at respectable rates.     I really hope that Jaren and Rabb learn how to do that from them.  

It really sux that Mike has finally gotten the shackles removed from him at age 31y in a bum season.   

27 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

How good is JJJ next to JV? 

Are we trying to win next year or get another good prospect?

Does that answer change based on whether we convey our pick this year or not?

Depending on all these variables resigning JV to a 3-4yr deal either may or may not make sense. Again if we are a rebuilding team for the next 3 year why would JV want to spend his prime years in a rebuild? 

The guy is playing great ball I am just trying to be realistic about where this team is at. 

This is what I'm really interested in seeing

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Oh an another reason i want Jonas and Noah back is they are the best screen setters we have had in forever.    Not enough people are looking at the correlation between our guards (conley and avery) both have career scoring highs within a month of each other.    That is no coincidence.   Noah and JV get them some really open shots in midrange when they set screens.    Its a huge luxury having TWO centers that both can operate in PickNRoll and set hard screens.    How many of our previous bigs set good hard screens?   

Avery and Mike are good shooters so giving them that much daylight only increases their effectiveness.   As long as we have both Jonas and Noah setting screens for them; they will be able to keep their % at respectable rates.     I really hope that Jaren and Rabb learn how to do that from them.  

It really sux that Mike has finally gotten the shackles removed from him at age 31y in a bum season.   

This is the exact reason I want to draft Bruno Fernando, screen setting and energy.

15 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I respect what Noah is doing but I would rather develop an athletic big off the bench, is we can possibly find one.

2 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

Because this team will be a winner next year. How good they will be remains to be seen, whether JN reups or not?

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I respect what Noah is doing but I would rather develop an athletic big off the bench, is we can possibly find one.

Reason why i want to bring him back is because Jaren may be that Big in 2years.   Noah would only be on a one - two year deal max.   There presence will do more good than harm.   JJJ playing with and against them would be invaluable to his development. 

Noah and Jonas make it easier on our wing players.   If we had a young wing worth developing what Noah and Jonas provide makes life easier for him. 

this may be the REAL J.V  on the BOARDS playing I LOVE J,V 

look at the magic game I love J,V did not show up till late that night with his/her comments ,way after the game , look at tonights game agains hawks comments made  days early . the I love J.V may be the real J.V

the grizzlies are on the road flying to atlanta and its 10 hours later and no I love jv 

like I said this may be the real J.V on the boards

34 minutes ago, lions said:

Just in case.....yes, I would like for you to OPT IN. And welcome to the boards!!! 😎

2 hours ago, lions said:

I just gave him a poke for his prediction in the game thread and silence.