Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

What effect will Mike Conley have on our current players or free agents if he stays or leaves

21 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Move all your quality players and it will be way longer than that.

I have said resign Delon and Jonas and try to keep Noah.    Conley and Avery should be the main guys used to gain assets. 

Besides If we keep all those guys we don't have caproom to recruit anybody.  

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I have said resign Delon and Jonas and try to keep Noah.    Conley and Avery should be the main guys used to gain assets. 

Besides If we keep all those guys we don't have caproom to recruit anybody.  

What kind of back court are we going to have moving the two best back court players?  No starting caliber point guard or shooting guard.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

What kind of back court are we going to have moving the two best back court players?  No starting caliber point guard or shooting guard.

That depends on the return we get from their trades.     I put forth a trade with MIA to get their 1st and Dion Waiters.   He is a starting caliber SG.   Delon is capable of starting alongside him.     

It shouldn't matter anyway because if we "convey" like ppl want then we will own next years pick.   We should want it to be a high lottery pick.  So being bad next year won't hurt. 

BTW what is your plan?   Shouldn't criticize others plan when you haven't put one out yourself.  

44 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That depends on the return we get from their trades.     I put forth a trade with MIA to get their 1st and Dion Waiters.   He is a starting caliber SG.   Delon is capable of starting alongside him.     

It shouldn't matter anyway because if we "convey" like ppl want then we will own next years pick.   We should want it to be a high lottery pick.  So being bad next year won't hurt. 

BTW what is your plan?   Shouldn't criticize others plan when you haven't put one out yourself.  

C'mon GTF, Waiters sux, he costs almost the same amount of money as Avery, but has another 2 years after this season left on his contract. AND is regularly injured. Why would we want that? We could renegotiate with Avery (because I'm sure he wants to stay) and get a better deal.

We can get at least one pick for Mike, and better assets than Waiters.

Miles and Parsons are expirings next season, we should be able to get something for them, something better than Waiters

Brooks will be able to get us something as well

1 minute ago, BigHunkALove said:

C'mon GTF, Waiters sux, he costs almost the same amount of money as Avery, but has another 2 years after this season left on his contract. AND is regularly injured. Why would we want that? We could renegotiate with Avery (because I'm sure he wants to stay) and get a better deal.

We can get at least one pick for Mike, and better assets than Waiters.

Miles and Parsons are expirings next season, we should be able to get something for them, something better than Waiters

Waiters isn't the goal he is the contract we take on to get the 1rst rd pick.    He is a year younger than Avery and is more of a dynamic scorer.    It''s possible he could have an Avery like resurgence too.   If i remember correctly weren't majority of the fans on here saying exact same thing about Avery when we traded for him???   8 games later and now ppl want to extend him?  

Don't get me wrong i like Avery but we need young assets and FO is trying to convey this season.    I am also afraid that FO won't trade Conley either.    So you think Parsons and Miles (our two least attractive assets) can get us a good pick?

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Waiters isn't the goal he is the contract we take on to get the 1rst rd pick.    He is a year younger than Avery and is more of a dynamic scorer.    It''s possible he could have an Avery like resurgence too.   If i remember correctly weren't majority of the fans on here saying exact same thing about Avery when we traded for him???   8 games later and now ppl want to extend him?  

That's very debatable, in fact, my opinion is that that is not the case, and Avery is way better on D. Yes the goal is to get a first, we gonna get that with Mike, maybe more.

The majority of fans can be wrong, just because it is a majority doesn't mean it's right or can't change their views.

Don't get me wrong i like Avery but we need young assets and FO is trying to convey this season.    I am also afraid that FO won't trade Conley either.    So you think Parsons and Miles (our two least attractive assets) can get us a good pick?

If the FO doesn't trade Mike they are making the same mistake as the multitude already made. Mike is and always will be a hero, but right now is the time to do this, before the value really drops off like Tony Parker.

Parsons and Miles will get us something, but we are going to have to take long term bad contracts. Adding Waiters to the mix locks us in for 3-4 more years with trying to clear garbage. Parsons can be dealt separately, and Miles can be added to someone like Brooks or Bruno or both, and that becomes more attractive. You could even do something like Miles and SloMo and that should bring someone decent.

hate to see conley leave we would need first round draft for him I hope

6 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I'd rather keep Bradley than get Waiters, but I guess if you really want to lose Waiters is your guy.

Is that some kind of GTF rule?  Any plan I would have wouldn't mean a thing anyway, but I'll say it doesn't include tanking.  Never agreed with that.

10 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'd rather keep Bradley than get Waiters, but I guess if you really want to lose Waiters is your guy.

Is that some kind of GTF rule?  Any plan I would have wouldn't mean a thing anyway, but I'll say it doesn't include tanking.  Never agreed with that.

None of the stuff any of us say mean anything ultimately.  That's a cop out.  This is a fan forum and part of being a fan is to discuss past present and future of the team.     

It's easy to criticize other's ideas when you don't put forth any of your own.    It's like a single guy with no kids criticizing someone elses marriage and parenting skills.

So you want to keep Bradley.  Do you want to also keep Delon, Jonas, and Conley too?   Are you on team convey?   How do you propose adding talent or do you think that is enough to get back to championship contention?

A mid first round pick isn’t enough to take on any bad contracts 

27 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

I do.

Obviously 

58 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

I do.

"Everyone on the team not named Jaren is irrelevant. Who cares about Bradley and Jonas?" I care too. You can't get rid of all the vets. The young guys need quality mentors, both on and off the court, who can show them what it takes to win. Sure you can tank and run with young guys, but even they wouldn't be thrilled to play in tanktown for the next 2-5 years.

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

"Everyone on the team not named Jaren is irrelevant. Who cares about Bradley and Jonas?" I care too. You can't get rid of all the vets. The young guys need quality mentors, both on and off the court, who can show them what it takes to win. Sure you can tank and run with young guys, but even they wouldn't be thrilled to play in tanktown for the next 2-5 years.

Yeah, I think we have a good mix of young guys and veterans.  Even Noah isn't super over the hill.  Not sure we need CJ Miles AND Parsons but whatever.  The immobile Parsons and his immovable contract actually turns into an asset the closer we get to next year's trade deadline.  

As far as young dudes, we have Jaren, Ivan, Bruno, Dillon, Yuta, and Jevon.  Not sure how many young guys we can afford, especially as their rookie/cheapo deals run off.  If our next two mediocre first round picks come in 2020 and 2021 instead of this year then that's fine with me.  Not 100% sold on many of these guys in the draft.  

Yeah we need to find a future franchise point guard at some point, buy maybe Conley doesn't completely fall off the cliff until he is on the wrong side of 35.  

I think we can split the difference between old/young with our MLE signing. 

In the draft: top 4 or bust.  Other than that, get 3 second rounders: one import draft/stash and a couple of "two way guys".  Worst case scenario we draft a cheap utility player everyone here has heard of like Jeremiah Martin and/or Tacko Fall.  

If we end up picking at 6-8 I would look at Hunter or Nassir Little or a couple of the Kentucky guys like Keldon Johnson or Herro.  Although Coby White out of UNC could be the guy we need.  I would be cool taking any of those guys at 6 even if they are slated by the draft "experts" to to 10 or 15 spots lower.  

On 3/8/2019 at 12:23 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

We should just keep jaren, trade any player that isn't in the gleague or close to it talent-wise, and just run a team of scrubs plus jaren, because hey nobody but jaren and other top 5 picks are going to be relevant. 

usa_today_12020034.0.jpg

5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

None of the stuff any of us say mean anything ultimately.  That's a cop out.  This is a fan forum and part of being a fan is to discuss past present and future of the team.     

It's easy to criticize other's ideas when you don't put forth any of your own.    It's like a single guy with no kids criticizing someone elses marriage and parenting skills.

So you want to keep Bradley.  Do you want to also keep Delon, Jonas, and Conley too?   Are you on team convey?   How do you propose adding talent or do you think that is enough to get back to championship contention?

Sorry if that's what you think.  Just because congress comes up with a really stupid idea doesn't mean I can't criticize it without coming up with a plan.  Same thing here.  I don't think Waiters is all that good.  I'd much prefer Bradley.  AB's contract is not crippling and it's only one more season.  We just need to be patient and see how things shake out.  If a good deal presents itself, take advantage.  You seem to just be trade happy just for the sake of making trades.

6 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Sorry if that's what you think.  Just because congress comes up with a really stupid idea doesn't mean I can't criticize it without coming up with a plan.  Same thing here.  I don't think Waiters is all that good.  I'd much prefer Bradley.  AB's contract is not crippling and it's only one more season.  We just need to be patient and see how things shake out.  If a good deal presents itself, take advantage.  You seem to just be trade happy just for the sake of making trades.

The Miami trade isnt about targeting Waiters its about targeting their pick.   I dont care about Waiters.  I prefer Bradley too.  How are you missing this? 

AB contract is perfect as a trade chip due to how its structured.  but we only have one chance to use it.  Dont know if you have noticed but we rarely trade our assets from a position of strength. This is the time to do it.   

We are discussing a rebuild and CORE4 is gone its time to build around Jaren.  Folks still on here talking about what players fit best with Conley.  Time to take the longview.  

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

The Miami trade isnt about targeting Waiters its about targeting their pick.   I dont care about Waiters.  I prefer Bradley too.  How are you missing this? 

AB contract is perfect as a trade chip due to how its structured.  but we only have one chance to use it.  Dont know if you have noticed but we rarely trade our assets from a position of strength. This is the time to do it.   

We are discussing a rebuild and CORE4 is gone its time to build around Jaren.  Folks still on here talking about what players fit best with Conley.  Time to take the longview.  

Have you seen Bradley feeding JV?  Don't you think he can do that  with Jaren?  Why would Miami give up a 1st for AB?

On 3/9/2019 at 7:09 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

I think Miles had been playing quite well since he became a Grizz. It's like he has gotten a new step in his gettiup. 

Parson is the main issue we can rebuild or try to make the playoffs as long as he is in the roster.

We just have to wait until that contract is over there is nothing we can do until then.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Have you seen Bradley feeding JV?  Don't you think he can do that  with Jaren?  Why would Miami give up a 1st for AB?

It was a comment from MIAMI posted in another thread by @IDG i think.    They are looking to clear space to go after two max UFA in 2020.   So they are looking to get off of some bad contracts in James Johnson, Waiters, and Kelly Olynk.   They are willing to use this years 2019 pick.      Avery's deal fits their salaries perfectly and his deal saves them a ton of money. 

Don't get me wrong i like the new guys a lot.  Its just that we are talent starved and the only assets we have nobody wants to trade.   So how does the team improve when transitioning to Jaren era?

Miami’s 2019 pick is going to be late lottery at best. I’d rather have AB than a late lottery or worse pick in this draft.

52 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

It was a comment from MIAMI posted in another thread by @IDG i think.    They are looking to clear space to go after two max UFA in 2020.   So they are looking to get off of some bad contracts in James Johnson, Waiters, and Kelly Olynk.   They are willing to use this years 2019 pick.      Avery's deal fits their salaries perfectly and his deal saves them a ton of money. 

Don't get me wrong i like the new guys a lot.  Its just that we are talent starved and the only assets we have nobody wants to trade.   So how does the team improve when transitioning to Jaren era?

yup.

i would offer them parsons for 2 of those 3 though . they want to shed a year off waiter/oly/jj  , they dont want room right now that Bradley offers  he's  expiring to but they dont wanna waive him . i'm not sure i trade AB for waiters / pick but i sure do trade parsons for waiters/oly pick. if we move AB its gotta be to a team that wants to waive him imo thats his value i think . that's why i think AB makes more sense to a team like the Bucks , instant relief for a contender . thats worth more to Mil than it is to the Heat imo .

it delays FA plans but i dont see the big deal , conley,waiter,Oly/JJ off the books the same year looks good to me .

what i found interesting is Riley talking about how easy it is to dump salary if you  see a reason to have MAX room , i think he's 100% right.. MAX room every now and then is better than messing around with not much every year like we tend to do .  they won't all be like parsons , and even as awful as parsons has been i think most of us see the reasoning behind moves like that  . max level guys can change a franchise and you gotta keep swinging at those chances imo .  still though , so much can happen but i'll take Conley,Waiters,Oly all coming off the books at the same time and give our guys some time to develop while adding some more youth in the draft .. i'd offer the Bucks the Same type of deal for Snell and send them miles . in the short term we upgraded Parsons , Miles to Waiters,Oly,SNell .. thats huge all for the cost of an bloated salary for a year while getting a couple picks / youth to develop while waiting for them to come off the books .. looks fantastic to me we keep everyone we wanna keep , or FO can claim " win now " we add picks/youth and just let the guys play it out  . i guess i'm one of the few that don't think a couple bad contracts are the end of the world though 

Conley/Wright / Carter

AB/Waiter / Snell 

Kyle/Bruno/Brooks 

JJJ/Oly

JV/Rabb Noah or a Rookie , Vet Min type .

Grizz send Miles Parsons , fillers  

Grizz Get Snell.Waiters,Oly , Mil 1st  , Mia 1st  or youth/ future picks  something along these lines anyways .

15 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Miami’s 2019 pick is going to be late lottery at best. I’d rather have AB than a late lottery or worse pick in this draft.

I think it might be worth keeping AB for a half season and build his value back up for a trade. What if he can average 16/4/4 next by February with good percentages? Might get a good young piece in return.