Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies vs Portland Trailblazers - 3/5/2019

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

Holiday 4mil expiring this season but we traded to 2nds to get him.

Do you think that the Grizzlies will re-sign him?

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

Do you think that the Grizzlies will re-sign him?

I hope definitely not, on performance it should be definitely not, but GM Wallace burnt 2 second round picks to acquire him, and if they let him go those picks will be smoked for nothing which would make Wallace look WRONG, so I could see them or Wallace trying to cover up and  throw good money after bad.

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

At 24 mill/yr. OUCH. How good was he playing before his latest injury? Any chance for a come back or is he a write off?

He's never been any good since he got signed. He's been here 3 seasons, he hasn't played a total of 100 games, and the ones he has played he's been on minutes restrictions and hasn't played more than 20mins, and during that time he's done nothing to effect a single win, but done plenty to effect losses - all this for $94 mil

You would have to ask Dallas about his play prior to injury since our esteemed FO signed him to his contract after coming off of surgery.  He has been mostly injured in his three seasons here.  Comeback?  Not likely and not here.

I hate to admit this but JB mostly did a decent job in this victory.   He was his usual slow to adjust self but at least he did adjust this time.  

I really think JB doesn't want to gear an offense towards the Bigs.    If he had his way his offense would be guard dominant.   This roster is way more suited to the style of offense JB is comfortable with.   I think going forward our offensive rank will continue to rise. 

22 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I hate to admit this but JB mostly did a decent job in this victory.   He was his usual slow to adjust self but at least he did adjust this time.  

I really think JB doesn't want to gear an offense towards the Bigs.    If he had his way his offense would be guard dominant.   This roster is way more suited to the style of offense JB is comfortable with.   I think going forward our offensive rank will continue to rise. 

JB is making a mistake if he gears the offense mostly to the guards. JV likes to be heavily involved in the offense and when he is, his whole game is better and he is happier. I have watched JV play hundreds of games. In the Portland game he didn't look happy. I also noticed he wasn't getting as many offensive touches. Even though he still managed to put up 17 points, he only had 2 rebounds, no assists, no steals and only 1 block. If the Grizzlies want JV to stay and opt in next season, they are going to have to keep him involved in the offense.  

7 minutes ago, GameOn said:

JB is making a mistake if he gears the offense mostly to the guards. JV likes to be heavily involved in the offense and when he is, his whole game is better and he is happier. I have watched JV play hundreds of games. In the Portland game he didn't look happy. I also noticed he wasn't getting as many offensive touches. Even though he still managed to put up 17 points, he only had 2 rebounds, no assists, no steals and only 1 block. If the Grizzlies want JV to stay and opt in next season, they are going to have to keep him involved in the offense.  

We actually won the game so hard to say it was a mistake.  The mistake going forward  would be if he doesn't have the guards to sustain it.  

I am of the opinion that a good coach should correctly identify his strongest players then maximize what they can do.   I am also of the opinion that JB isn't a good coach. 😄

I think smart move would be to get Jonas involved early (like they did with Jaren) to keep him engaged the rest of the game.   1 in 4 out offense can work with Jonas easily the rest of the season.   Heck it still works when Jaren comes back next season.  

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

I've wondered if JV is more upset about playing time and less about touches.

He's splitting time with Noah, and they are both assets when in the floor.

I don't know, I don't want to overreact over one game, and he may base his decision on playoff opportunities more than anything else. 

3 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

What do you think a decent payday would be?

3-4 years at 8-10 mill/yr. It may have to be a little higher depending on what other other teams may offer. Delon is a RFA at the end of this season, currently making 2.5 mill/yr.

Just now, GameOn said:

3-4 years at 8-10 mill/yr. It may have to be a little higher depending on what other other teams may offer. He is a RFA at the end of this season, currently making 2.5 mill/yr.

yeah  around that seems fine , what other fringe starter guys are making .

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I've wondered if JV is more upset about playing time and less about touches.

He's splitting time with Noah, and they are both assets when in the floor.

I don't know, I don't want to overreact over one game, and he may base his decision on playoff opportunities more than anything else. 

1. JV probably wants to be the starter. Comfort zone = 24-28 minutes, maybe a little higher in the playoffs.

2. He likes to win and likes to be in the playoffs.

3. He has to be involved in the offense in order to thrive.

4. Not sure how much $$$ he would want for a new contract. If he likes Memphis and wants to move there, he may take less $$$, especially if it's a longer term contract.

2 hours ago, GameOn said:

1. JV probably wants to be the starter. Comfort zone = 24-28 minutes, maybe a little higher in the playoffs.

2. He likes to win and likes to be in the playoffs.

3. He has to be involved in the offense in order to thrive.

4. Not sure how much $$$ he would want for a new contract. If he likes Memphis and wants to move there, he may take less $$$, especially if it's a longer term contract.

I think 24-28 minutes is a reasonable expectation for him. Don't you think that most players like to win and be in the POs? I think he should be involved in the office and I hope he thinks the Grizz has the capabilities to be in the POs. But I also think he would rather get to play and miss the POs than to sit on the bench and make them. I know I would.