Kevin B Moses

The grizzlies front office decision on what to do with Jonas and Jaren will determine this teams fate for years to come

I hope we keep JV for a few more seasons. 

1 hour ago, grizzgolf said:

I hope we keep JV for a few more seasons. 

I hope Jonas opts out of his current contract and resigns for around $15 million a season for four years. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I hope Jonas opts out of his current contract and resigns for around $15 million a season for four years. 

Would be nice to lock him in as our starting C next to Jaren.

If he gets to free agency, do you think he gets more than that though? He is a pretty good offensive player. 

image.png.4eb3ef74011eec3a63c2751ec9213412.pnghmmm based on above for your leading points and rebounder in the games since the trade, do we Memphis to sign JV to an extended and new contract?...26 years old and you would think he has another 6 productive years in the tank...hell yes...or sign to an extended contract to a team that has the desire to contend or improve and get an unknown draft pick(s) in return...

18 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

image.png.4eb3ef74011eec3a63c2751ec9213412.pnghmmm based on above for your leading points and rebounder in the games since the trade, do we Memphis to sign JV to an extended and new contract?...26 years old and you would think he has another 6 productive years in the tank...hell yes...or sign to an extended contract to a team that has the desire to contend or improve and get an unknown draft pick(s) in return...

Eff to the noooooooooooo.... you don't trade him for a mystery draft pick.  A bird in the hand is worth more than one or less in the bush any say of the week.

34 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

Would be nice to lock him in as our starting C next to Jaren.

If he gets to free agency, do you think he gets more than that though? He is a pretty good offensive player. 

I don't know. Honestly most teams are getting away from the slow, but skilled big men down low. That could limit his market honestly. He's not a great defender. He doesn't seem to have three point range. He is limited in many ways which is why I believe he may be interested in opting out and taking less for a longer term. 

On 3/3/2019 at 9:44 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

You don't have to build around Jonas, that's the point. YOU DO HAVE TO around Jaren.

I mean you said it yourself: we don't have any core players other than Jaren on the team. So in your mind, everybody else should be traded or let go or not developed BUT HIM.

That's your zero-sum game that you love to play, in action.

In my scenario, one player doesn't dominate the entire team. And 20 points is 20 points, no matter how flashy it is. 

You build around JJJ because he's a potential cornerstone, Val isn't someone you build around, he's a player you acquire 

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

Well yeah, forgot about him. Dirk, Mailman and Jabbar are the tops. Maybe not in that order though.

Wilt Chamberlin could score a little...

And your option A is straight up lunacy. Overthink things much?

JV is nothing more than a decent guy neither a full starter nor a pure backup. He is slow and slowly but surely becoming slowlier. Remember Gasol? No way this guy is helpful in our rebuilding process as long as we are crafting a contender. Whereas JJJ is a unicorn therefore incomparable to JV. I would prohibit some fans from even mentioning his name in any context not only in this case.

while he was in Toronto, JV was evolving his game to be relevant for today...I can't totally recall his 3 pt stats for last year and not sure how many he put up but maybe a 35% from the 3 point line, not bad...and he got lighter and quicker, but I sense those gains have pretty well maxed out.  But he is a beast under the hoop on either side and he is very good scorer...there was an ongoing debate whether it should be Ibaka or JV starting, but this season Ibaka was having a monster year and it made sense for JV to come in with the second unit.  Things change, Gasol looks like he is the starter in Toronto, Ibaka goes to second unit and is lost.  Toronto is overall weaker down the middle and I expect teams will exploit this in the playoffs...Toronto needs were and still are a 3 point shooter versus another big like Gasol....their issue was not rebounding or scoring in the middle, it was either a elite assist guy or a 3 point shooter....so Memphis, with JV as an option for 2019 and beyond...are there not more glaring holes and needs than JV in the middle?  Unless we can get Zion...

This will ACTUALLY depend on whatever JV wants to do AND who we end up picking in the draft.

THEN if JJJ looks much improved/healthy going into summer league.

I don't care too much WHICH of our bigs gets the most minutes or shots, as long as we mix/match every night with Jaren, JV, Ivan, and Noah.  Bruno seems more like a "3" but I would play him at the "4" sometimes as well.  I might also experiment with Slo Mo at the 4 or maybe even a Boris Diaw-esque point center in certain matchups.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, chipc3 said:

I don't know. Honestly most teams are getting away from the slow, but skilled big men down low. That could limit his market honestly. He's not a great defender. He doesn't seem to have three point range. He is limited in many ways which is why I believe he may be interested in opting out and taking less for a longer term. 

Is that why the Warriors just signed Bogut, he's a small center?

I am kinda thinking outside the box here, and I think we could actually get this done and pull it off (but I don't see CW and the FO willing to MAN UP) but THIS would be one heck of a lineup next season:

PG Kemba Walker

SG Avery Bradley

SF Feel The Bruno

PF Anthony Davis

C Jonas Valanciunas 

Bench: Delon Wright/Jevon Carter, MLE/Jeremiah Martin, Kyle Anderson/Yuta Watanabe, Ivan Rabb, Joakim Noah/Tacko Fall.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:49 PM, bhoyal said:

We tanked to get a stretch-4 who can shoot NBA range 3's AND block shots on D.  And we got exactly that and he turned out to be one of the best rookies in the NBA.  And a good guy, not a jerk.

So... LET'S GET RID OF HIM!!   Right now this second!

And the 26 year old in the prime of his career physical 7-1, 270 post player?   Has averaged 19 & 11 since being acquired.

GET RID OF HIM TOO!!

Trade them both for a washing machine,,, yeah that's the ticket.

SmallKindEel-size_restricted.gif

Does that washing machine come with an unlimited supply of detergent?

On 3/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, chipc3 said:

I don't think they would need to do 4/$60 to get him.  I just don't see a huge market for him, but I would like for him to return because he's an adequate rebounder next to JJJ who needs that.

I suppose he and Marc could both opt out, and he could return to Toronto, or maybe Bucks upgrade their center position, but I actually would see him just opting into his player option because he probably doesn't know what he wants. The market hasn't been real kind to his type of center lately, and I think $12 mm/year is about where he is at.   I suppose a 4/$52 mm contract?  Thats the same as $16 next year and $12/year for next 3 years.

If we’re trying to rebuild why would we tie up that much money are a JV caliber player?

On 3/3/2019 at 12:59 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

Dirk is probably one of the top 2 scoring big men in the league ever. Him and the Mailman. I would not compare him to dirk under any circumstances. 

giphy.gif

th?id=OIP.9h_8XErCtfqoT9OucVJmwQEsC0&pid

kareem_abdul_jabbar.jpg

16 hours ago, TheStephensonConundrum said:

Who says JV and JJJ wouldn’t be able to fit well together. This thread is asinine on so many levels...

Anyone who actually watches games.

2 minutes ago, Allen said:

If we’re trying to rebuild why would we tie up that much money are a JV caliber player?

Every time people on here see someone trying hard, they want to sign them to stupid contracts.

34 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

They signed him for how much?

38 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Did they sign him for Jonas’ money or less?

12 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I don't think they would need to do 4/$60 to get him.  I just don't see a huge market for him, but I would like for him to return because he's an adequate rebounder next to JJJ who needs that.

I suppose he and Marc could both opt out, and he could return to Toronto, or maybe Bucks upgrade their center position, but I actually would see him just opting into his player option because he probably doesn't know what he wants. The market hasn't been real kind to his type of center lately, and I think $12 mm/year is about where he is at.   I suppose a 4/$52 mm contract?  Thats the same as $16 next year and $12/year for next 3 years.

I understand the attitude that JV could be had for less but do you believe Memphis could sign him for less?

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I understand the attitude that JV could be had for less but do you believe Memphis could sign him for less?

As an outside FA, no.

As a returning FA that probably only gets $16 mm playing for this team next year, yes. And that is the key.

That's why I suggested the 4/52 offer because I don't think he gets more than $12mm a year after next year, and that assumes good health. Why risk it for him?

some of you folks need to give your head a shake re is JV worth keeping long term and at what salary...since he has been with the Grizzlies, he is averaging 18.4 points and 10.1 rebounds...if his minutes stay the same see no reason why these numbers wouldn't stay near the same.  If you look at the five centers above him in salary, this is what they make and their numbers;

Bismack Biyombo - 4.3 points / 4.7 rebounds - $17M

Tristain Thompson - 11.5 points / 11.1 rebounds - $17.4

De Andre Jordan - 11.1 points / 13.5 rebounds - $22.8

Rudy Gobert - 15.3 points / 12.9 rebounds - $23.4

Steven Adams - 14.6 points / 9.7 rebounds - $24.1M

Jonas Valanciunas - 18.4 points / 10.1 rebounds - $16.5M

oh yeah, and he is shooting 58% from the floor and near 80% from the foul line....I think we have bigger needs than getting rid of a 26 year old who is low maintenance and team first and win guy....