Kevin B Moses

The grizzlies front office decision on what to do with Jonas and Jaren will determine this teams fate for years to come

You've got two options in my mind. Flip Jaren for a player that better matches the talent on this team: My suggestion would be Culver, or Cam Reddish. I might be leaning toward Culver though as Cam sees to be getting worse at 3 now that I look.

Or, option B. Trade Jonas, Trade Mike, and anybody else an try to find a robin for Jaren's batman and fill in the other pieces later.

I prefer option A. First of all, for option be to work, you need Jaren to become KD and you need to find a westbrook in the draft, and even think you might need a james harden to put you over the top.

Option A, you have talent everywhere right now. You have outside shooting, defense, and everything you need to turn it around quickly.

One big problem here. Jonas has a player option so he may not be ours to trade. 

And secondly, in no galaxy does JJJ become any form of KD. A souped up Serge Ibaka maybe but without rebounding. 

Hahaha, we have a workable front court so let's trade one of them away. 

Starting threads is what I do! 

Attention Deficit Disorder coming to the fore here.

They got meds for this condition you know?

You just gotta check there is no contraindications with your current intake list

8 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

And secondly, in no galaxy does JJJ become any form of KD. A souped up Serge Ibaka maybe but without rebounding. 

If he doesn't opt out. 

11 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

I think he's somewhere between George Gervin and John Salley.

I can't wait for my RJ Barrett/Jaren Jackson Jr. backcourt next season.

Laugh if you must but that guard duo would KILL people.

14 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

AND THATS A BIG PROBLEM for people who want to build around Jaren.

In fact the grizzlies look just as good without him as with him.

3 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

AND THATS A BIG PROBLEM for people who want to build around Jaren.

In fact the grizzlies look just as good without him as with him.

You can say that about pretty much every rookie in the league this year.  

Except maybe Mitchell Robinson.  

4 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

You can say that about pretty much every rookie in the league this year.  

Except maybe Mitchell Robinson.  

Think about Andrew Wiggins and KAT, it has not worked. 

Jaren will turn 20 in September. He's the second youngest player in the league.  Give the kid a couple of season! 

btw, games beetwen bad teams out of the PO run like us, the Bulls, the Mavs at the end of the season are useless whether you win or you lose.  Presason games are more useful!

Another dumb thread to forget brought to you by the guy with silly ideas.

lets trade Jaren so we can build around a guy that has never played 30 minutes a game. I’m not going to ask why he hasn’t played 30 minutes a game. I just want to start a thread for attention.

15 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

lets trade Jaren so we can build around a guy that has never played 30 minutes a game. I’m not going to ask why he hasn’t played 30 minutes a game. I just want to start a thread for attention.

Fouls and weak D 

6 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Fouls and weak D 

JV is not particularly foul prone. 

His D was actually miles better than Raptors former superstar Demar Derozan who gobbled up the ball, shots, minutes and consistently faded in the spotlight.  JV is a well above-average defender in the paint and an elite defensive rebounder.  Yes, he can give up mid-range and three point shots because he just can't chase quick guards.  What his net worth is in any particular team is unknown.  JV minutes were slashed because of the coach's decision to emphasize backcourt over frontcourt offense.  His was the fate determined by league trends and individual decisions.  We have no idea what Jonas can or cannot do in 30-35 minutes on the floor.  So far Grizzlies have gone to him late in games and he delivered on offense.  How about that end-of-game block!?  We have also seen him staggered with Noah for perimeter defensive purposes.  Super excited to see where this goes. 

Too bad that JV and JJJ will not get a chance to find out what they can do together this season.  I would think that JV decision to sign with Grizzlies would depend on this fit quite a bit.  I have not seen JJJ play for more than a few games so far but Jonas is too old to wait for Jaren to 'grow up' if that is going to take another 5 years. But if JJJ is a season away as many on this forum seem to think...

Just now, Karas said:

JV is not particularly foul prone.  His D was actually miles better than Raptors superstar Demar Derozan who gobbled up the ball, shots, minutes and consistently faded in the spotlight.  JV minutes were slashed because of the coach's decision to emphasize backcourt over frontcourt offense.  His was the fate determined by league trends and idiosyncratic decisions.  We have no idea what Jonas can or cannot do in 30-35 minutes on the floor.  Grizzlies have gone to him late in games and he delivered on offense.  Super excited to see where this goes. 

Too bad that JV and JJJ will not get a chance to find out what they can do together this season.  I would think that JV decision to sign with Grizzlies would depend on this fit quite a bit.  He is too old to wait for Jaren to 'grow up' which may even take another 5 years.

JV was foul prone and you are right he could not guard stretch bigs all that well which is what his mins got limited .

6 hours ago, MemphisX said:

You don't have to build around Jonas, that's the point. YOU DO HAVE TO around Jaren.

I mean you said it yourself: we don't have any core players other than Jaren on the team. So in your mind, everybody else should be traded or let go or not developed BUT HIM.

That's your zero-sum game that you love to play, in action.

In my scenario, one player doesn't dominate the entire team. And 20 points is 20 points, no matter how flashy it is. 

9 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

JV was foul prone and you are right he could not guard stretch bigs all that well which is what his mins got limited .

You know how fouls are called in the NBA: it's not so much about what you did but who you are and whom are you doing it to.  Even as an unknown sophomore playing close to 30 mins a game JV averaged 3.1 fouls per game.  Under 3 sine then and is no longer called for 'vertical' defense in the post unless it's a super-star offensive player.  What are you thinking when you say Jonas is foul-prone?

20 minutes ago, Karas said:

You know how fouls are called in the NBA: it's not so much about what you did but who you are and whom are you doing it to.  Even as an unknown sophomore playing close to 30 mins a game JV averaged 3.1 fouls per game.  Under 3 sine then and is no longer called for 'vertical' defense in the post unless it's a super-star offensive player.  What are you thinking when you say Jonas is foul-prone?

yup , JJJ a rookie with new rules , fouls are a BIG problem for him . something that can be worked on like with JV 

I don't care if Downtown Bruno is the future face of the franchise let's just get some wins!

Other than that gimme a fab five of RJ Barrett, Jaren Jackson Jr., Bruno Caboclo, Ivan Rabb, and Jonas.  THAT team will break some faces.

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You don't have to build around Jonas, that's the point. YOU DO HAVE TO around Jaren.

I mean you said it yourself: we don't have any core players other than Jaren on the team. So in your mind, everybody else should be traded or let go or not developed BUT HIM.

That's your zero-sum game that you love to play, in action.

In my scenario, one player doesn't dominate the entire team. And 20 points is 20 points, no matter how flashy it is. 

Do you think Jaren can be Dirk on offense and Shane Battier on defense?

He's an interesting player with a defensive package and offensive weaponry that you really don't see much -- especially in the same player.  

Not taking anything away from the other front line guys -- I wanna go with Bruno/Jonas/Ivan long term.  

I think the league DID go small but that started no later than 2009, maybe even in 2007 (the Oden and Durant draft).  I think the league is getting big again but shooting and defensive versatility matter more now.  

I think Jaren missed the "small ball center" era.  He needs to be our defensive guy and a Dirk (Bob McAdoo?) scoring combo forward.  

When Jaren is rolling on offense he kinda looks like Larry Bird.  But he's not a guy who can go out and dribble all over the court and get his own shots.  

I am now thinking that we don't even know why we drafted Jaren Jackson Jr. Did they think they were getting the next Mitchell Robinson?

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

Do you think Jaren can be Dirk on offense and Shane Battier on defense?

He's an interesting player with a defensive package and offensive weaponry that you really don't see much -- especially in the same player.  

Not taking anything away from the other front line guys -- I wanna go with Bruno/Jonas/Ivan long term.  

I think the league DID go small but that started no later than 2009, maybe even in 2007 (the Oden and Durant draft).  I think the league is getting big again but shooting and defensive versatility matter more now.  

I think Jaren missed the "small ball center" era.  He needs to be our defensive guy and a Dirk (Bob McAdoo?) scoring combo forward.  

When Jaren is rolling on offense he kinda looks like Larry Bird.  But he's not a guy who can go out and dribble all over the court and get his own shots.  

I am now thinking that we don't even know why we drafted Jaren Jackson Jr. Did they think they were getting the next Mitchell Robinson?

Dirk is probably one of the top 2 scoring big men in the league ever. Him and the Mailman. I would not compare him to dirk under any circumstances. 

My comparison honestly: Jaren reminds me of Larry Nance Sr. To me, their games are very very similar. 

33 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Dirk is probably one of the top 2 scoring big men in the league ever. Him and the Mailman. I would not compare him to dirk under any circumstances. 

My comparison honestly: Jaren reminds me of Larry Nance Sr. To me, their games are very very similar. 

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wasn't a big man?  Maybe his 30,000+ points were not enough to qualify?

18 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wasn't a big man?  Maybe his 30,000+ points were not enough to qualify?

Well yeah, forgot about him. Dirk, Mailman and Jabbar are the tops. Maybe not in that order though.

We tanked to get a stretch-4 who can shoot NBA range 3's AND block shots on D.  And we got exactly that and he turned out to be one of the best rookies in the NBA.  And a good guy, not a jerk.

So... LET'S GET RID OF HIM!!   Right now this second!

And the 26 year old in the prime of his career physical 7-1, 270 post player?   Has averaged 19 & 11 since being acquired.

GET RID OF HIM TOO!!

Trade them both for a washing machine,,, yeah that's the ticket.

SmallKindEel-size_restricted.gif