CoolHandGriz

New plan moving forward...

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Does anyone actually believe the front office is operating with a plan right now? 

I think they're drawing it out with a stick in the sand.....the way we used to draw up football plays when we were kids.

I thought it was better for us if we gave up the pick this year?

No matter what happens, even if we make contradictory moves every other week, it’s all according to the plan.

No, they cannot tell you what the plan is.

58 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I thought it was better for us if we gave up the pick this year?

A top 4 pick this year is probably preferred by all.

It depends on what you believe if that doesn't happen. Are the next 2 years going to be better than this year?

If you believe the team is going to get better over the next two years with a pick in the 6-8 range this year, then there are no worries.

Reasonably, the team is getting worse over the next two years, probably finishing last in the West the next two seasons, regardless of this year's (non) draft pick.

Personally, I'd rather give up the pick this season and keep the likely top 4 picks in the 2020 and 2021 season. 

This team is getting worse, but ultimately, it doesn't matter what I want if the team can't beat teams like the Cavs and Bulls.  I'm not sure they win 5 more games the rest of the season, which is what they would need to get to #9 pick ASSUMING those teams above them don't win again, which is not happening.

I think if they can at least get to #8, they will convey the pick because at least 1 team will jump them.  It could be 2 teams if they get to #7, but the odds are much less.

52 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

No matter what happens, even if we make contradictory moves every other week, it’s all according to the plan.

No, they cannot tell you what the plan is.

When Lionel hollins was our coach we had a hell of a staff.

Not only Dave Joerger but Jeff Bzdelik and The grizzlies also have a three-year plan to get better.

That was a hell of a staff right there. to go along with one of the greatest defensive players of all time Tony Allen.

It was just a bunch of unbelievable things going right at the same time.

To think that the grizzlies are going to do that again with how they are currently operating is pretty optimistic.

watching these guys a bit more i think we should maybe focus a bit more on moving JV  before conley . maybe even try again with CHA cause once it gets closer to Walker leaving they may be more willing to give us a nice return . 

15 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

A top 4 pick this year is probably preferred by all.

It depends on what you believe if that doesn't happen. Are the next 2 years going to be better than this year?

If you believe the team is going to get better over the next two years with a pick in the 6-8 range this year, then there are no worries.

Reasonably, the team is getting worse over the next two years, probably finishing last in the West the next two seasons, regardless of this year's (non) draft pick.

Personally, I'd rather give up the pick this season and keep the likely top 4 picks in the 2020 and 2021 season. 

This team is getting worse, but ultimately, it doesn't matter what I want if the team can't beat teams like the Cavs and Bulls.  I'm not sure they win 5 more games the rest of the season, which is what they would need to get to #9 pick ASSUMING those teams above them don't win again, which is not happening.

I think if they can at least get to #8, they will convey the pick because at least 1 team will jump them.  It could be 2 teams if they get to #7, but the odds are much less.

I was thinking along the same lines. Give the pick this year and while we suck the next two we should get those picks. 

The Grizz will lose so many fans after this year if the pick is conveyed. 

They will have 1 player who is part of the future and will be fun to cheer for, and he has to be fed, can’t create for himself so it’s not like watching Doncic or Young. 

And the worst part, Wallace is telling the fan base that we will be contenders for the worst record in the league for the next TWO seasons. Now that might not sound like a lot but just think of how bad the last 2 have been. 

Thays best case scenario. If we are t just absolutely terrible next two years we are doomed. We would have no way of acquiring top flight talent. 

Get a nice pick this year.

Trade Conley before the draft.

Bring everyone else back.

Maybe get a savvy FA deal on a veteran in the summer too.

Re-sign Jonas after next year to a FAIR deal.

4 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I was thinking along the same lines. Give the pick this year and while we suck the next two we should get those picks. 

Agreed but the problem is we probably won't be good enough this year to accomplish that goal.

We are in serious bball purgatory.

Ideal scenario for next season.  Resign Noah and Delon.  Trade Conley to Indy for Aaron Holiday and 2020 1rst.   Waive Parsons.  Sign Yuta.  Fire JB.  Draft this season (tankathon has us taking Culver).  

Delon/Aaron/Jevon

Culver/Avery/Miles

Dillon/SloMo/Yuta

Jaren/Bruno/Rabb

Jonas/Noah

Now we have potentially 7 guys that can be  high level scorers or create their own offense (Jaren, Culver, Jonas, Dillon, Avery, Delon, Aaron)

We have multiple guys that can handle the ball and playmake (Delon, Culver, Aaron, Jevon, Avery, Yuta, SloMo)

Two paint protectors (Jaren and Noah)   3 post scorers (Jaren, Jonas, Rabb)  

Good to Elite defenders (Avery, Noah, Jaren, SloMo, Bruno, Yuta, Jevon, Delon and Culver)

An multiple guys that can grow with Jaren (Aaron, Culver, Dillon and Bruno). 

This is a balanced team along the lines of early season LA Clippers.    Basically a team full of actual NBA players.  

That team will allow us to convey the pick in 2020 (Stay outta top 6)and compete for playoff spot.     Then in 2021 capspace opens up when Miles, Jonas, Avery, and Parsons money all come off the books.  We can extend Jonas and Avery if they work well. 

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Ideal scenario for next season.  Resign Noah and Delon.  Trade Conley to Indy for Aaron Holiday and 2020 1rst.   Waive Parsons.  Sign Yuta.  Fire JB.  Draft this season (tankathon has us taking Culver).  

Delon/Aaron/Jevon

Culver/Avery/Miles

Dillon/SloMo/Yuta

Jaren/Bruno/Rabb

Jonas/Noah

Now we have potentially 7 guys that can be  high level scorers or create their own offense (Jaren, Culver, Jonas, Dillon, Avery, Delon, Aaron)

We have multiple guys that can handle the ball and playmake (Delon, Culver, Aaron, Jevon, Avery, Yuta, SloMo)

Good to Elite defenders (Avery, Noah, Jaren, SloMo, Bruno, Yuta, Jevon, Delon and Culver)

This is a balanced team along the lines of early season LA Clippers.    Basically a team full of actual NBA players.  

That team will allow us to convey the pick in 2020 (Stay outta top 6)and compete for playoff spot.     Then in 2021 capspace opens up when Miles, Jonas, Avery, and Parsons money all come off the books.  We can extend Jonas and Avery if they work well. 

It would be the worst team in the West

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Ideal scenario for next season.  Resign Noah and Delon.  Trade Conley to Indy for Aaron Holiday and 2020 1rst.   Waive Buyout Parsons. Sign Re-sign Yuta.  Fire JB.  Draft this season (tankathon has us taking Culver).  

Delon/Aaron/Jevon

Culver/Avery/Miles Bradley/Brooks/Culver

Dillon/SloMo/Yuta SloMo/Miles/Yuta

Jaren/Bruno/Rabb Rabb/Bruno

Jonas/Noah

This is a bad team (especially at the point) but young enough to grow. It is possible but highly unlikely this team will defer the pick to Boston leaving the team with an unprotected draft pick in 2021 going to the Celtics, but at least the team has a second first round pick in 2020. Hopefully one of the two draft picks will bring some immediate help.

Capspace will be opening with Parsons' contract done but the team will also have to re-sign players and that could be difficult keeping expenses in line. 

A lot will depend on Jaren's offseason growth as well.

Playing next to pros/vets like Jonas, Noah, Miles, Wright, SloMo, Dillon and Bradley will be interesting next year if JJJ comes back a beast with added strength/size and honed perimeter skills.

Miami is always looking for the FA splash. I wonder if they would move Olynk and Waiters plus their 2019 first for Parsons in order to pursue gold in 2020 free agency? I still think we should wait it out on Parsons in hopes of a similar scenario.

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

Miami is always looking for the FA splash. I wonder if they would move Olynk and Waiters plus their 2019 first for Parsons in order to pursue gold in 2020 free agency? I still think we should wait it out on Parsons in hopes of a similar scenario.

At this point may as well just let him play 18 MPG next year on the final year of that deal.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

It would be the worst team in the West

Possibly but that team still allows us to convey the pick in 2020(top 6 protected).    While also giving us  a 2020 in the Conley deal.   

With the right coaching staff that team would be competitive.  Ya'll are viewing it wrong.   The team i proposed has all the tools to be an elite defensive squad and has enough scoring to be competitive on offense as well.    Ya'll are just looking at names when I view it from the lens of Skillsets.  

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

This is a bad team (especially at the point) but young enough to grow. It is possible but highly unlikely this team will defer the pick to Boston leaving the team with an unprotected draft pick in 2021 going to the Celtics, but at least the team has a second first round pick in 2020. Hopefully one of the two draft picks will bring some immediate help.

Capspace will be opening with Parsons' contract done but the team will also have to re-sign players and that could be difficult keeping expenses in line. 

It isn't a bad team - it is an avg team with potential to grow.    The team we have right now is better than the one we had beginning of the season and this team is better than that.     Gasol production is easily replaced with Noah + Jonas.    Jaren will be better and SloMo and Dillon will be too.     The only player that will be missed is Mike BUT we will have capable guys that are better fits with a different style.     The team i proposed could easily be .500 with the added bonus of upward trajectory going forward. 

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

that would be a great deal but i think they value Oly more than that . 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Possibly but that team still allows us to convey the pick in 2020(top 6 protected).    While also giving us  a 2020 in the Conley deal.   

With the right coaching staff that team would be competitive.  Ya'll are viewing it wrong.   The team i proposed has all the tools to be an elite defensive squad and has enough scoring to be competitive on offense as well.    Ya'll are just looking at names when I view it from the lens of Skillsets.  

It isn't a bad team - it is an avg team with potential to grow.    The team we have right now is better than the one we had beginning of the season and this team is better than that.     Gasol production is easily replaced with Noah + Jonas.    Jaren will be better and SloMo and Dillon will be too.     The only player that will be missed is Mike BUT we will have capable guys that are better fits with a different style.     The team i proposed could easily be .500 with the added bonus of upward trajectory going forward. 

thats a risk risk with that roster imho . 

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Ask yourself honestly if you were a fan of any other team in the West would you be worried about playing this team??? Be honest. 

New Orleans if they lose Anthony Davis and Phoenix maybe. No one else would be worried at all. 

And if you think this team we have now was better than the pre-season team totally healthy you are delusional. You are ignoring the drop in PG play completely from Conley to Delon Wright/Aaron Holiday. 

1 minute ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

thats a risk risk with that roster imho . 

If JB was still the coach i'd wholeheartedly agree.  

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Ask yourself honestly if you were a fan of any other team in the West would you be worried about playing this team??? Be honest. 

New Orleans if they lose Anthony Davis and Phoenix maybe. No one else would be worried at all. 

Maybe not because it doesn't have the flashy names.    Playing hard and with high energy with a roster full of actual NBA rotation players can result in Ws.     I am not worried about PG situation because we have multiple guys capable of running the offense outside of PG (Noah, SloMo, Avery, and even Yuta).    Nobody was scared of playing Memphis until the CORE4 gelled and found a system that fit them either.  

28 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Maybe not because it doesn't have the flashy names.    Playing hard and with high energy with a roster full of actual NBA rotation players can result in Ws.     I am not worried about PG situation because we have multiple guys capable of running the offense outside of PG (Noah, SloMo, Avery, and even Yuta).    Nobody was scared of playing Memphis until the CORE4 gelled and found a system that fit them either.  

I hope you are correct because outside of the Indy trade (does that even work under the CBA?) this looks a lot like what I expect the team to be next season. Of course, it's if you are fantasizing that a team starting Delon Wright, a rookie SG, Dillon Brooks, JJJ and Jonas will scare anyone even half the time around the league why not fantasize trades that can't be done as well. 

But then again it took 3+ years from Conley's rookie season for that team to gel. Not to mention the addition of Zach Randolph in his prime at the perfect time. No one was scared of the team with 24 yr old Gasol, 21 year old Mayo, 22 year old Gay and 21 yr old Conley all on their rookie deals. That team was 24-58 and finished with the 5th worst record in the NBA. 

It was during that season that the team hired Lionel Hollins, traded for Zach Randolph and a year later signed Tony Allen. By then the team young players had become veterans to go along with Z-Bo and TA. The gel process doesn't happen that fast. 

And don't even try to say that Hollins was the difference as a Head Coach because you screamed for him to be fired for years! 

Dillon Brooks is not good.

Delon Wright is meh.

They are bench guys.  Wright would be interesting if he was 22.

Really don't want to sign anyone on the current roster beyond next season. 

3 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Dillon Brooks is not good.

Delon Wright is meh.

They are bench guys.  Wright would be interesting if he was 22.

Really don't want to sign anyone on the current roster beyond next season. 

Brooks is unknown as is Wright. Perhaps with regular minutes they could become regular performers and being on a bad team means they should get plenty of minutes to show what they have.