CoolHandGriz

New plan moving forward...

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

yeah , not exactly going " all in" either way. like you said we are already a year into a rebuild luckily we hit on JJJ , another good draft or two and we could have a great mix of youth/vets . i'm a pretty big into letting winners run and whoever has drafted lately has been pretty good ,  i deal with risk on the daily so when i lookat trades that more of what i'm looking at instead of being awful/good . 

like trading the CLips 1st , makes no sense to me . a lotto protected 1st that at worst becomes a 2nd , for two 2nds .. that boggles my mind as a risk/reward type trade not AWFUL but come on now we could have bought a 2nd and and got the same thing and that would have been the worst outcome lol . or had the 15th as best outcome ..  i get that Davis was faliing in that draft but so it kinda changed things but he was falling for a reason and in no shape or form would have made that trade .

Yep the team you suggested reminds me of LAC surprise team ranked 1rst before they blew it up at trade deadline. 

Mike/Delon/Jevon

Avery/Waiters/Snell

Kyle/Dillon/Bruno

Jaren/Olynk/Rabb

Jonas/Noah  + 2019 first

That is a team full of proven NBA guys with Two near AllStar level producers (Mike and Jonas).      Why is that not a playoff team in the West when teams like Utah and Clippers are?   Neither of those teams have AllStars either.   Memphis is also currently a Top 10 defense and rising and rising in offense too now.    Defense will only get stronger when Kyle and Jaren return and offense too as chemistry continues to grow. 

Heck even if we don't pull a Miles for a pick i would be fine as long as we do the MIA deal to remove Parsons and get their 2019 pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dwash said:

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/01/23/phoenix-suns-pros-cons-trading-mike-conley/8/

Talk about moving Conley to the Suns.

Tyler Johnson, Milwaukee pick 2019 and a top 3 protected pick in 2020? I would be down for that.

 

That would be the best way to move on from Mike. Pick + pg prospect. If they end up drafting Morant or Garland even better. I like Delon n Jevon (would be good name for a r&b duo), but I can't see either of them being the next man up. Heck i'd take Baldwin over both of them in terms of potential at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RaptorGrizzly said:

pls don't fool yourself. Delon is high-end backup (I truly like his motor, reverses after cutting to baseline and many more things) but he'll never be a Conductor on the contending team. Mike has "it", which Delon hasn't.

Oh I disagree, he will become a top notch guard. MC is on a hot streak right now. Fizdale just about ruined him by wanting him to be big scorer on the team. DW shoots FTs too good to not be able to shoot 3s. Once he gets that down he will be a bad boy. DW does need to learn to give the ball up more on the give and go but I think he is probably trying to make the most of his chance and usually that is by putting the ball in the goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cdp said:

That would be the best way to move on from Mike. Pick + pg prospect. If they end up drafting Morant or Garland even better. I like Delon n Jevon (would be good name for a r&b duo), but I can't see either of them being the next man up. Heck i'd take Baldwin over both of them in terms of potential at this point.

Baldwin was trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conley is the Western Conference Player of the Week. The Grizzlies play uptempo fun basketball again. The Grizzlies have the best defense since the all-star break. A defense minded starting lineup at every position, especially with JJJ. I'd bench SloMo, roll with Holiday at the SF and see what happens. 

Conley/Delon/Carter

Bradley/Brooks

Holiday/SloMo/CJ

JJJ/Rabb/Bruno

JV/Noah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I LOVE marc he is a true grizzlies but its seems  like  the grizzlies are playing much faster tempo which fits great for todays N,B,A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, f-dizzle said:

Conley is the Western Conference Player of the Week. The Grizzlies play uptempo fun basketball again. The Grizzlies have the best defense since the all-star break. A defense minded starting lineup at every position, especially with JJJ. I'd bench SloMo, roll with Holiday at the SF and see what happens. 

Conley/Delon/Carter

Bradley/Brooks

Holiday/SloMo/CJ

JJJ/Rabb/Bruno

JV/Noah

I don't think Holiday should play SF.  He'll get abused by the bigger, more physical SF's in the league.  I think he should play backup SG, and have Dillon play backup SF behind SloMo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

I don't think Holiday should play SF.  He'll get abused by the bigger, more physical SF's in the league.  I think he should play backup SG, and have Dillon play backup SF behind SloMo.

Also don't think Holiday should be resigned.   We will need his money just to keep Noah, Bradley, Delon and Jonas.    SloMo is fine as the starting SF.   Especially now that we have scorers at the other 4 positions.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Also don't think Holiday should be resigned.   We will need his money just to keep Noah, Bradley, Delon and Jonas.    SloMo is fine as the starting SF.   Especially now that we have scorers at the other 4 positions.   

Totally agree. I know getting rid of Holiday is hard becasue of the original deal. But  it's the good option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a perfect time to discuss the plan moving forward based on the 2 current scenarios:

Option 1: Convey the pick this year.

We seem to be playing well enough with the recent mid-season moves to win enough game to convey the pick this year.  If that happens, we will be going into next season with a similar core as we have right now, which may very well be good enough to get into the playoffs (at the current performance level).

This of course hurts our draft position for 2020 with no real chance at a top tier draft pick to play next to JV, JJJ and Wright (yes, I consider DW as a young/future PG for the Grizz). Conveying the pick this year hinders the rebuild around JJJ for multiple years. Conveying this year essentially hurts not only the 2019 draft, but the 2020 draft as well, not having a high draft pick to build with.

In essence, conveying would be trading short term performance (better than average) for longer term success. I feel those who want to convey because next years draft is better, will be disappointed because we will not be in a position to capitalize.

Option 2: Keep the pick this year.

By keeping this years pick, we have a chance to add a top tier SG/SF to add to the already decent core of JV, JJJ, and Wright.  This years pick would give the Grizz a very solid young 4 with veterans in AB and Conley to be very successful and being outside of the lottery in 2020 would not be as big an issue, since we already have our young core. 

Nobody likes to tank, its no fun being like the Wolves or Suns every year, but I feel like we are in a position to add a final core piece this season with a guy like Barrett, Reddish, or even Hunter.  This gives us a great young core for a bright future.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Adrenalize74 said:

I think this is a perfect time to discuss the plan moving forward based on the 2 current scenarios:

Option 1: Convey the pick this year.

We seem to be playing well enough with the recent mid-season moves to win enough game to convey the pick this year.  If that happens, we will be going into next season with a similar core as we have right now, which may very well be good enough to get into the playoffs (at the current performance level).

This of course hurts our draft position for 2020 with no real chance at a top tier draft pick to play next to JV, JJJ and Wright (yes, I consider DW as a young/future PG for the Grizz). Conveying the pick this year hinders the rebuild around JJJ for multiple years. Conveying this year essentially hurts not only the 2019 draft, but the 2020 draft as well, not having a high draft pick to build with.

In essence, conveying would be trading short term performance (better than average) for longer term success. I feel those who want to convey because next years draft is better, will be disappointed because we will not be in a position to capitalize.

Option 2: Keep the pick this year.

By keeping this years pick, we have a chance to add a top tier SG/SF to add to the already decent core of JV, JJJ, and Wright.  This years pick would give the Grizz a very solid young 4 with veterans in AB and Conley to be very successful and being outside of the lottery in 2020 would not be as big an issue, since we already have our young core. 

Nobody likes to tank, its no fun being like the Wolves or Suns every year, but I feel like we are in a position to add a final core piece this season with a guy like Barrett, Reddish, or even Hunter.  This gives us a great young core for a bright future.

 

Bingo. That’s the drum I’ve been beating for a month. Keep the pick this year and then try to win from here on out, with JJJ, the lottery pick, and a few solid young guys. 

But the FO breaking their neck to convey is signaling their intentions to bottom out and pick high the next two years. 

Again, there is no other reason to convey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Bingo. That’s the drum I’ve been beating for a month. Keep the pick this year and then try to win from here on out, with JJJ, the lottery pick, and a few solid young guys. 

But the FO breaking their neck to convey is signaling their intentions to bottom out and pick high the next two years. 

Again, there is no other reason to convey

If the front office is wanting to "bottom out," that's what half the people on this board wants. Although, I think that the grizzlies aren't really giving Mike and bickerstaff directives like this. The grizzlies are just going out there and trying to get better, each game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Also don't think Holiday should be resigned.   We will need his money just to keep Noah, Bradley, Delon and Jonas.    SloMo is fine as the starting SF.   Especially now that we have scorers at the other 4 positions.   

Yeah but Holiday can play guard if the situation arose that the Grizz needed 1 also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we need to fill a roster spot on the cheap i hope they really consider Dorsey or Yuta.     If we need to throw in a young guy on a trade i hope its Bruno and not Dillon. 

Dorsey and Yuta can both handle the ball and shoot from range and play defense.    Yuta solves the backup SF problem and Dorsey is fine as a young dude in Jaren's age range to develop.   Both of their BBIQ and skill level are higher than Bruno's and thus could be better fits going forward.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If we need to fill a roster spot on the cheap i hope they really consider Dorsey or Yuta.     If we need to throw in a young guy on a trade i hope its Bruno and not Dillon. 

Dorsey and Yuta can both handle the ball and shoot from range and play defense.    Yuta solves the backup SF problem and Dorsey is fine as a young dude in Jaren's age range to develop.   Both of their BBIQ and skill level are higher than Bruno's and thus could be better fits going forward.  

None of those guys will be a factor on a winning team except MAYBE Dillon. And none of them have ANY value so don’t worry about them being traded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rabb and Bruno wont make it imo. Rabb is too small, not strong enough and not a good enough athlete to be an interior  big in today's game. Bruno just has no skill. He cant even keep his form consistent much less anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Rabb and Bruno wont make it imo. Rabb is too small, not strong enough and not a good enough athlete to be an interior  big in today's game. Bruno just has no skill. He cant even keep his form consistent much less anything else.

Rabb is actually skilled and if he geta stronger he wont be bad.  Besides he is Jaren BFF on the team that counts too.

I hope Bruno deal isnt guaranteed.  CJ miles def helping his trade value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Rabb is actually skilled and if he geta stronger he wont be bad.  Besides he is Jaren BFF on the team that counts too.

I hope Bruno deal isnt guaranteed.  CJ miles def helping his trade value.

No.  That counts nothing.  If we start making roster decisions based on who is friends with whom we will be doomed.

That being said, I'm okay with Rabb as a cheap fourth or fifth big.  He usually produces something helpful when on the floor (not last night though, but neither did anyone else), or he could be used as a piece in a trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

No.  That counts nothing.  If we start making roster decisions based on who is friends with whom we will be doomed.

That being said, I'm okay with Rabb as a cheap fourth or fifth big.  He usually produces something helpful when on the floor (not last night though, but neither did anyone else), or he could be used as a piece in a trade.

Rabb is showing flashes. I didn't think he would but he's not half bad when he's getting the time to play 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best plan available is to tank since we are not make the Playoffs and get some lucky and get Zion. Winning close games now doesn't matter, we are a lottery team and we should accept that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Once_a_hater said:

Best plan available is to tank since we are not make the Playoffs and get some lucky and get Zion. Winning close games now doesn't matter, we are a lottery team and we should accept that.

That should’ve been the plan prior to the deadline when we traded for short term assets. Before we won 4 or 5 games. This FO is so clueless and shortsighted it’s hard being a fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This blogger articulates pretty well what i was trying to explain for weeks.  

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2019/3/15/18266770/convey-2020-a-campaign-story-nba-draft-memphis-grizzlies

 

Here is the premise behind “Pick Now, Convey Later”:

  1. We 100% do not want to send the pick in 2021. Period.
  2. If the Grizzlies do not convey this season and have their own first round pick, they will be picking most likely in the 6-8 range with a shot to move into the top 4 (long shot obviously).
  3. If the Grizzlies convey this season, they would be sending Boston a pick in the 9-12 range and Memphis would have no draft pick AND presumably no cap space to add a player of any significance for next season.
  4. While some believe that 2020 is a deeper draft than 2019, it is not significant enough that if the Grizzlies play .500 basketball in 2019-20, their mid first round pick would be a possibly better pick than a top 8 pick this season.
  5. If the Grizzlies do not convey this season, but convey next season, Memphis should be sending Boston a pick in the 12-14 range, the Grizzlies will be coming off Chandler Parsonsand depending on the direction of the franchise, possibly Miles and Valanciunas.

Heading into the summer of 2020, if the Grizzlies convey that summer, the team would be headed to free agency with Mike Conley (assuming he doesn't opt out), Jaren Jackson Jr., Kyle Anderson and someone like De’Andre Hunter, Darius Garland, or Jarrett Culver on the roster with enough cap space to sign 1-2 max contracts.

A roster with a 2 year pro Jaren, savvy vet Mike Conley, lock down defender Anderson, and another young promising player is the most appealing roster Memphis has ever been able to present to a free agent. Here’s a look at some of the potential free agents in 2020:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Raptors have the NBA best in DRAFT/War Room and analytics to look at managing the cap and evaluating trade options.  Other teams are moving in this same direction.  They have done a pretty good job in drafting in recent years, and some unknowns that have really come through.  They also use gut feel to compliment what "analytics" is suggesting.  Not sure of the sophistication of our FO to do something like this....but the game is going high tech versus listening to fan boards and thinking we know better...this link is pretty good to give you an idea of what they..

https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/toronto-raptors-unveil-a-digital-war-room/380686

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

This blogger articulates pretty well what i was trying to explain for weeks.  

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2019/3/15/18266770/convey-2020-a-campaign-story-nba-draft-memphis-grizzlies

 

Here is the premise behind “Pick Now, Convey Later”:

  1. We 100% do not want to send the pick in 2021. Period.
  2. If the Grizzlies do not convey this season and have their own first round pick, they will be picking most likely in the 6-8 range with a shot to move into the top 4 (long shot obviously).
  3. If the Grizzlies convey this season, they would be sending Boston a pick in the 9-12 range and Memphis would have no draft pick AND presumably no cap space to add a player of any significance for next season.
  4. While some believe that 2020 is a deeper draft than 2019, it is not significant enough that if the Grizzlies play .500 basketball in 2019-20, their mid first round pick would be a possibly better pick than a top 8 pick this season.
  5. If the Grizzlies do not convey this season, but convey next season, Memphis should be sending Boston a pick in the 12-14 range, the Grizzlies will be coming off Chandler Parsonsand depending on the direction of the franchise, possibly Miles and Valanciunas.

Heading into the summer of 2020, if the Grizzlies convey that summer, the team would be headed to free agency with Mike Conley (assuming he doesn't opt out), Jaren Jackson Jr., Kyle Anderson and someone like De’Andre Hunter, Darius Garland, or Jarrett Culver on the roster with enough cap space to sign 1-2 max contracts.

A roster with a 2 year pro Jaren, savvy vet Mike Conley, lock down defender Anderson, and another young promising player is the most appealing roster Memphis has ever been able to present to a free agent. Here’s a look at some of the potential free agents in 2020:

The difference between your viewpoint and this article is that you said we could trade Conley and still convey next year. Thats nonsense because the team would be terrible with not enough perimeter scoring. This article advocates keeping Conley to convey next year if they dont convey this year which is a viable plan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now