CoolHandGriz

New plan moving forward...

20 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

to be absolutely clear, Delon was hands down the Raptors best ball handler...when Van Fleet went down a couple of weeks ago they brought in Jeremy Lin...a guy by some of your definitions is easily made in the NBA..."easy to get these guys from the heep" Lin is playing awful...Raptors wish they could still call on Delon....Re JV before his hand injury, he was being held up a 6th man of the year for good reason...his number/analytics speak for themselves...and he accepted the 2nd unit role in Toronto which was a model (last year) of how they won near 60 games....these guys are gone, Toronto has no chemistry, the second unit has failed to perform.

There isn't enough "ball" to have 5 All stars on the court at one time...this rebuild will take time but you need to anchor it with a mix of young and older, all stars to role players....

"Linsanity" has devolved to just Insanity. Yes, the chemistry in Toronto is not good right now and the bench is a disaster compared to last year. JV and Ibaka were a good 1-2 punch, but since Marc came to town, there is now an issue over who should start at C. The fans want Marc to start, but when Ibaka comes off the bench he doesn't look good (could be because of the lousy bench players). I agree with you that a team needs to have a good mix of young guys and vets, and stability in order to move forward.

New New Plan

This is stock up on draft picks + hardnosed players plan. 

Resign Delon to a team friendly 3-4yr deal.   Trade Avery + CJ + Dillon to MIA for James Johnson + Dion Waiters + unprotected 2019 first + 2022 second.  Trade Conley to Indiana for Aaron Holiday + Doug McDermott + 2020 first.   Restructure Jonas to a 3yr deal,  Noah won't be back he will prob go to a contender.   Waive Parsons.   Tankathon has us currently picking Romeo Langford I'd go for DeAndre Hunter instead.  Tankathon currently has MIA slotted to take Porter Jr.  Im rolling with that.     

Delon/Holiday/Jevon

Waiters/Porter Jr. 

Hunter/McDermott/Bruno

Johnson/Anderson

Jaren/Jonas/Rabb

This team just became tough as nails and loaded with young talent.    We also are capable of having multiple ballhandlers on the floor at all times.  Delon, Holiday, Waiters, SloMo, Porter, Johnson, Hunter all can dribble and pass.    First unit can play staunch defense run at fast pace and crazy athletic.    A team full of this many strong personalities will need a tough as nails coach.     Bye Bye JB and Hello Stackhouse.         

Holiday, Porter Jr, Jaren, and DeAndre should be the foundation going forward.   Plus we will still have another 2020 pick to add to them.    That team is good enough to convey the 2020 pick to BOS and be back in playoff contention in 2021.  

21 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

i think before thinking of picking the future star, we need to get the best of what we have.

We need to do something with Parsons, it cost us too much money and i will be pretty sad to think we have to trade MC just for salary reason. We have to keep 4 or 5 strong guys (MC,  JJJ, JV, Bradley,  Delon and Noah) and add one or two smart guy. Then we have a team able to compete.

For me the only reason to trade MC will be to 2 first round + valuable player in return. I dont think it will happen. In this case, why not offer him an extension of contract and save some money on salary? MC is a fantastic player and he love Memphis, we need those kind of guys to become a good team gain. 

I hate to say this but you haven't seen MC play nearly as much as I have and he has had some big games here lately but he has had some pathetic 1s too. I guess you were here for those 3-11 and 6-21 games.

3 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I hate to say this but you haven't MC play nearly as much as I have and he has had some big games here lately but he has had some pathetic 1s too. I guess you were here for those 3-11 and 6-21 games.

I understand your point of view. But fairly speaking, if you look at Mike stats ( not just a cpl of games), where will be find another contributor at this level? Betting on a future great pick is like playing lottery. We can hit the jackpot but can also get stuck for years before going to play off again.

i still truly believe that this team need only smal adjustment to be a good team. 

11 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I understand your point of view. But fairly speaking, if you look at Mike stats ( not just a cpl of games), where will be find another contributor at this level? Betting on a future great pick is like playing lottery. We can hit the jackpot but can also get stuck for years before going to play off again.

i still truly believe that this team need only smal adjustment to be a good team. 

If you don't get rid of MC, I don't think the Grizz will have enough money to sign AB,DW, JV and maybe Noah.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I wouldn't count on Noah sticking around anyways.  I hope he does at the right deal, but would understand why he wouldn't.

This case is quite a complicated one. I know JN antie quite well and ask her opition recently. She says that for her, Noah is now happy with the situation:1

1/ The Grizzlies give him a chance to show he was still a good basketball player ( not many people believe in this) and he make it.

2/ He like the young guys here.

3/ Money is not the main point for him. He is rich enough for 2 or 3 generations ( Thanks Knicks !!!) so for  his future contract , money will not be that important.

4/ If money is not that important, the project his. He still dream about playoff and big games.. so the real question is: What will offer the grizzlies office to him in terms of team quality?

5/ Im quite sure that if a contender make him an offer, he will probably go if he got  garantee that he will play significantly. 

Is Noah still active with the French national team? If so, minutes may be a major consideration beyond money and winning opportunities.

29 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Is Noah still active with the French national team? If so, minutes may be a major consideration beyond money and winning opportunities.

No.

he had a bad fight with the French federation after 2012 Olympics games (or something like that, I can't remember exactly),  I think he's over with them.

38 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Yes i confirm, he wont play for France anymore.

NBA bodies that play a lot of minutes over multiple years begin to breakdown after 32/33/34.., 10+ years in the league...unscientific and not data supported, but each of us can think of multiple examples...Noah will be 35 and MC will be 32....Holiday will be 30, so they need thought of in their age and how that fits into the rebuild model...I think Avery @ 29 and JV @ 27 they shoud have upside and productive years with their next contract...

11 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I think Wright can take his place, he moves so smoothly, like gliding real fast. They probably won't be able to  keep AB, JV, and DW or maybe Noah 2. I think those guys are more valuable to the team than MC. 

10 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

This case is quite a complicated one. I know JN antie quite well and ask her opition recently. She says that for her, Noah is now happy with the situation:1

1/ The Grizzlies give him a chance to show he was still a good basketball player ( not many people believe in this) and he make it.

3/ Money is not the main point for him. He is rich enough for 2 or 3 generations ( Thanks Knicks !!!) so for  his future contract , money will not be that important.

4/ If money is not that important, the project his. He still dream about playoff and big games.. so the real question is: What will offer the grizzlies office to him in terms of team quality?

5/ Im quite sure that if a contender make him an offer, he will probably go if he got  garantee that he will play significantly. 

I think he likes the guys he is playing with and I think with him playing for the Griizz they may be able to make the POs next year and he knows he's going to get a lot of playing time.

58 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I think Wright can take his place, he moves so smoothly, like gliding real fast. They probably won't be able to  keep AB, JV, and DW or maybe Noah 2. I think those guys are more valuable to the team than MC. 

I think JV may have already opted in for next season. He said that he started shopping for a house in Memphis this week.

4 minutes ago, GameOn said:

I think JV may have already opted in for next season. He said that he started shopping for a house in Memphis this week.

Hot DAM. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

whats a guy like thomas bryant or even kevin Looney  get ? are they viewed as young enough to develop into a full time backup behind JV ? is Dragan Bender done or does anyone think a new team and getting away from PHX could  get him to be a useful  guy instead of one the the bigger bust around ?  

whats our FO gonna do if we convey and they can trade 1st again ?😳

On 3/8/2019 at 1:20 AM, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I saw an interview with JN. He said that when he was in New York, he got too "lit". He said a smaller market team like the Grizzlies was PERFECT for him. I think he wants to stay. I think the Grizzlies should keep him for at least one more year and see how he does. He really gets his fellow players and the fans fired up, which is great to see.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:06 PM, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

pls don't fool yourself. Delon is high-end backup (I truly like his motor, reverses after cutting to baseline and many more things) but he'll never be a Conductor on the contending team. Mike has "it", which Delon hasn't.

21 minutes ago, Dwash said:

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/01/23/phoenix-suns-pros-cons-trading-mike-conley/8/

Talk about moving Conley to the Suns.

Tyler Johnson, Milwaukee pick 2019 and a top 3 protected pick in 2020? I would be down for that.

i could see something like that going down . i dont think we  are doomed as much as others if we go that way , i do think we would struggle next year but that's ok  . . move parsons/miles for Waiter/Oly/Snell/ picks and keep conley . or the above deal .. either way our FO needs to stick to a plan . i think if we keep conley  we gotta use expiring deal and add salary and picks / youth . move conley and we gotta embrace a team that could really struggle . no trading assets for PG help .

1 hour ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

i could see something like that going down . i dont think we  are doomed as much as others if we go that way , i do think we would struggle next year but that's ok  . . move parsons/miles for Waiter/Oly/Snell/ picks and keep conley . or the above deal .. either way our FO needs to stick to a plan . i think if we keep conley  we gotta use expiring deal and add salary and picks / youth . move conley and we gotta embrace a team that could really struggle . no trading assets for PG help .

I think i like your idea better.  Getting multiple picks for Parsons(MIA)  and Miles(MIL) while maintaining a competitive team - seems like best of both worlds. 

I can't see Pera sending Conley to a bad team in the West.   If Mike goes it will be to a team that can compete for playoffs in the East, which allows him to push for Allstar berth.  

29 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I think i like your idea better.  Getting multiple picks for Parsons(MIA)  and Miles(MIL) while maintaining a competitive team - seems like best of both worlds. 

I can't see Pera sending Conley to a bad team in the West.   If Mike goes it will be to a team that can compete for playoffs in the East, which allows him to push for Allstar berth.  

yeah , not exactly going " all in" either way. like you said we are already a year into a rebuild luckily we hit on JJJ , another good draft or two and we could have a great mix of youth/vets . i'm a pretty big into letting winners run and whoever has drafted lately has been pretty good ,  i deal with risk on the daily so when i lookat trades that more of what i'm looking at instead of being awful/good . 

like trading the CLips 1st , makes no sense to me . a lotto protected 1st that at worst becomes a 2nd , for two 2nds .. that boggles my mind as a risk/reward type trade not AWFUL but come on now we could have bought a 2nd and and got the same thing and that would have been the worst outcome lol . or had the 15th as best outcome ..  i get that Davis was faliing in that draft but so it kinda changed things but he was falling for a reason and in no shape or form would have made that trade .

i'd love to send our FO some books on how you manage risk in the stock market .. not exactly the same but i think they could learn a lot when they look at how to value assets moving forward .  sadly  Value investing has a huge time table to work in the world of stocks .. not so much in the NBA .  Day trading isn't that great either and thats what they seem to do a lot trying to catch that next big thing and catching the falling knife instead way to often for my taste .  loading up on picks is a risk , but so is every decision they make but i'll risk it the draft before selling my picks on players that don't move the needle .i also wanna have enough assets for once to actually make a big move which is what we can never seem to do .