CoolHandGriz

New plan moving forward...

1 hour ago, SC Grizz said:

I mean no disrespect, but many of you are completely out of touch with reality when it comes to what makes sense in a trade for Mike Conley.

Why trade Conley for a mid first in this draft? Guys like Nazr Reid (LSU) are mid 1st this year and are beyond garbage.  The only way it makes sense to trade Conley during the draft is if 1.) a legit starting PG is coming back (L. Ball for example from LA), or 2.) we draft Ja Morant. 

As far as our pick. If we get the #1 and draft Zion which some believe is the "best case scenario" then where does that leave JJJ? Forget that question for now because this is Memphis so we will get the 6, 7, or 8. Right there you are looking at Culver (Texas Tech) or KZ Okpala or Romeo Langford as guys that make sense, you know because our current SGs suck. 

So to answer the OP - you play to win games, if possible. You do not build a losing culture. You bring back an experienced PG to go along with a hopefully developed group next year. You draft the BPA. In this case I believe the BPA will coincide with our weakness position - wing shooter. 

Im not so sure if keeping Conley wont ruin his value.  Or if it will actually help win much. He doesnt seem to be the same player anymore when you arent running the same plays over and over. He just feels like another guy out there. Tyreke for example was ok with playing "freelance" out there, making his plays on the fly. This doesnt seem to suit Conley.  I agree dont trade him for garbage but if you can replace him with a lesser vet and maybe get Phoenix or Orlando to bid on him and get anything you, you have to consider it.

One of my hail mary options if our pick is in the 6-8 range is Conley/Dillon/our pick for Tyler Johnson/Josh Jackson/Phoenix 1st/Milwaukee 1st

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

One of my hail mary options if our pick is in the 6-8 range is Conley/Dillon/our pick for Tyler Johnson/Josh Jackson/Phoenix 1st/Milwaukee 1st

If its not Ja or Zion I could see them doing this.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Im not so sure if keeping Conley wont ruin his value.  Or if it will actually help win much. He doesnt seem to be the same player anymore when you arent running the same plays over and over. He just feels like another guy out there. Tyreke for example was ok with playing "freelance" out there, making his plays on the fly. This doesnt seem to suit Conley.  I agree dont trade him for garbage but if you can replace him with a lesser vet and maybe get Phoenix or Orlando to bid on him and get anything you, you have to consider it.

I hear you, but if it is between the Jevon Carter show and we add a mid 1st plus a lesser junk contract guy or just keep Conley another year... tough call.

There might be some interesting options out there though...

2 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Atlanta will pass us

Yep. They are WAY better than us and have hungry young talent that are competitive as hell.

5 spot is better than the 6 spot. One step closer to a Zion or Ja...

Grizz on paper could get out the top 8, they have just mailed the season in. Difference between losing with vets and losing with youth. The Hawks are gone play hard until game 82 is over with.

We have been in these last few games without Jaren and maybe his return(soon please) will be enough to win a couple. In the broader view it feels like there is a lack of drive from these guys. Hopefully its just a lull and they can wake up from.. idk though. If we end up 2-8(or worse) in these next ten games, which isn't unlikely, I think #playtoconvey is dead. I'm more optimistic about this draft class anyways. 

Grizzlies are now on the clock...

3 minutes ago, BlocBoy JBickerstaff said:

We have been in these last few games without Jaren and maybe his return(soon please) will be enough to win a couple. In the broader view it feels like there is a lack of drive from these guys. Hopefully its just a lull and they can wake up from.. idk though. If we end up 2-8(or worse) in these next ten games, which isn't unlikely, I think #playtoconvey is dead. I'm more optimistic about this draft class anyways. 

Grizzlies are now on the clock...

As an outsider who's not as invested in this team, I would want them to tank this year. No guarantees that if they convey this year, they could "tank" properly next year and get a higher pick. What if JJJ improves and there's just enough talent to scrape out a 30ish win season next year?

There is a legit shot at getting a top 5 pick this year. That is a rare opportunity.

3 minutes ago, Everett said:

As an outsider who's not as invested in this team, I would want them to tank this year. No guarantees that if they convey this year, they could "tank" properly next year and get a higher pick. What if JJJ improves and there's just enough talent to scrape out a 30ish win season next year?

There is a legit shot at getting a top 5 pick this year. That is a rare opportunity.

I agree, conveying this year in the proximity we are to the top pick already feels like the move of an organization built for failure. Grab the best available and hope for coaching/office changes. Maybe an identity will form out of the ashes, who knows.

Atlanta is actually starting to become pretty good. Trae Young is averaging 26 points and 9 assists since the All-Star break. Pretty much once he starting knocking down 3s at the rate he was in college, he was going to be good and he's now shooting 40% in February. 

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Trae is already better than Conley.

On offense maybe but its close. On defense...uh no contest.

7 minutes ago, Dwash said:

On offense maybe but its close. On defense...uh no contest.

I’d take it. Considering he wins more games than Conley. Hes only going to get better from here too. 

Honestly, other than the second month of the season where it seemed he hit a road block, he’s been killing it. Last month or so he’s putting up basically 20/10

48 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Shhhhh people don’t want to hear that.

because its not true. mike is two way player. 

maybe next year or year after Trae might catch mike as a complete player- eventually it will happen because father time

but srs question.. this is a grizz board- why be so antagonistic? 

5 minutes ago, guillermo said:

because its not true. mike is two way player. 

maybe next year or year after Trae might catch mike as a complete player- eventually it will happen because father time

but srs question.. this is a grizz board- why be so antagonistic? 

Trae still has growing to do. He’s already a better floor general than Mike on offense. He will get better on defense. Not that it really matters. We keep harping defense for this team yet most teams that are winning are consistently putting up 115 plus points a night now. 

Im antagonistic because I’m ****** at the situation we are in. We are going to sick for the next 3-4 seasons and the players that are actually having an impact on the game from thisnpast draft are both players I wanted, and we could have had.

But the FO here seems to hold a player in high regards (30+ mil a year) who never avg more than 6.5 apg or avg 2.9 rpg for his career over a obvious future all star who even when he wasn’t hitting his shots was making Conley look like an avg pg. 

Y’all act like Mike Conley has been this undervalued pg for his entire career. Reality is, he only had a few seasons like that. 

We need players that can put the ball in he bucket and make plays without using 5 screens to get open. 

Trae Young has already shown what he can do. Has steadily improved. Over the past month the kid is shooting near 50% from the field and 40% from three and giving double digit asts like it’s easy.

Hes also out rebounding Conley. 

People here know that while I was OK with JJJ, I was not estactic. He’s been more hit than miss this season. He gets pushed around on defense, which he was touted to be decent at, and can’t rebound the ball for a guy that is 6”11 and y’all were complaining about Marc!

I hope he pans out. I really do. They are already claiming this kid as a franchise player and he can’t sniff the floor for more than 2 minutes without being sent to the bench with 2 fouls. 

I love the grizzlies. I want them to win. But ****, put me in the front office please. He’ll put DWASH, Memphis X, any of us but Kevin B freaking Moses in he front office and we could have done better over the last 7 years to put this team on better trajectory than it is now. 

21 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Trae still has growing to do. He’s already a better floor general than Mike on offense. He will get better on defense. Not that it really matters. We keep harping defense for this team yet most teams that are winning are consistently putting up 115 plus points a night now. 

Im antagonistic because I’m ****** at the situation we are in. We are going to sick for the next 3-4 seasons and the players that are actually having an impact on the game from thisnpast draft are both players I wanted, and we could have had.

But the FO here seems to hold a player in high regards (30+ mil a year) who never avg more than 6.5 apg or avg 2.9 rpg for his career over a obvious future all star who even when he wasn’t hitting his shots was making Conley look like an avg pg. 

Y’all act like Mike Conley has been this undervalued pg for his entire career. Reality is, he only had a few seasons like that. 

We need players that can put the ball in he bucket and make plays without using 5 screens to get open. 

Trae Young has already shown what he can do. Has steadily improved. Over the past month the kid is shooting near 50% from the field and 40% from three and giving double digit asts like it’s easy.

Hes also out rebounding Conley. 

People here know that while I was OK with JJJ, I was not estactic. He’s been more hit than miss this season. He gets pushed around on defense, which he was touted to be decent at, and can’t rebound the ball for a guy that is 6”11 and y’all were complaining about Marc!

I hope he pans out. I really do. They are already claiming this kid as a franchise player and he can’t sniff the floor for more than 2 minutes without being sent to the bench with 2 fouls. 

I love the grizzlies. I want them to win. But ****, put me in the front office please. He’ll put DWASH, Memphis X, any of us but Kevin B freaking Moses in he front office and we could have done better over the last 7 years to put this team on better trajectory than it is now. 

Look, man, I get it you love trae young, but acting like he can be as good as mike his rookie year is laughable. The only player I know that was used to "school" another high level player was the guy that you think is such an average player. I seem to recall that Sam Cassell took a young John Wall to watch a Grizzlies-Clippers playoff game and John thought that Sam wanted him to watch Chris Paul, but Sam informed him that no, in fact, he wanted Wall to study Mike Conley.

You can hate on Mike all you want: but facts are facts. In a game where Chris Paul was playing, Sam wanted Wall to watch Mike. Hell, Lebron James can barely get the kids on the Lakers to be 10th seeds in the west. And that's lebron james, who has: multiple lottery picks on that team.

Sometimes, you are just in a no-win situation.  

13 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Look, man, I get it you love trae young, but acting like he can be as good as mike his rookie year is laughable. The only player I know that was used to "school" another high level player was the guy that you think is such an average player. I seem to recall that Sam Cassell took a young John Wall to watch a Grizzlies-Clippers playoff game and John thought that Sam wanted him to watch Chris Paul, but Sam informed him that no, in fact, he wanted Wall to study Mike Conley.

You can hate on Mike all you want: but facts are facts. In a game where Chris Paul was playing, Sam wanted Wall to watch Mike. Hell, Lebron James can barely get the kids on the Lakers to be 10th seeds in the west. And that's lebron james, who has: multiple lottery picks on that team.

Sometimes, you are just in a no-win situation.  

He’s already better than Mike in his rookie year. What are you smoking? The kid shows 17ppg and 7.9apg and 3.3 rpg. 

Mike didn’t avg 17ppg until his SEVENTH season in the league. He has NEVER avg more than 6.5 asts. 

Trae avg 3.3 rpg and mikes CAREER avg is 2.9.

Not to mention that his avgs (including Doncic) don’t rwally match what they are doing as of now. After the first Month of the year Doncic is basically putting up 24/8/7

Trae is essentially putting up 20/10 since last month. 

Conley has never had a streak like that. Yes, Trae is already better than Conley ever was. 

Those, my friend, are REAL facts. Not some story about Sam Cassell babying a guy who actually USED to be worth 30 mil per year. 

2 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

dont even bother with KBM about the GOAT conley ,

I don't think he's a goat, but I do think that people seem to focus way too much on **** that don't even matter. But let's be real: Conley's crime is that he is a part of the grizzlies history that people want to dynamite with C4.

All I hear when somebody downs conley is: I hate our front office. I hate chris wallace. die robert pera. That's all I hear.   

some of us can not think the world of every grizz player and still like them / the team etc..

12 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I don't think he's a goat, but I do think that people seem to focus way too much on **** that don't even matter. But let's be real: Conley's crime is that he is a part of the grizzlies history that people want to dynamite with C4.

All I hear when somebody downs conley is: I hate our front office. I hate chris wallace. die robert pera. That's all I hear.   

I never hated Conley. I was against giving him that contract. Always was. I like him as a player and a solid contributor to a winning team where he never has to be alpha. Just like I was with Marc. 

Ive always said that if you want to build around Mike and Marc you have to either have a clear cut number one option or a REALLY solid all around team. 

Neither of which they had. We can see now that Marc wasn’t the problem with this team. Hell neither is Mike. The team outside of those two was trash.