notnilc20

Grizzlies to Nashville?!?

heard on the radio by an anonymous source that Marc Gasol was saying the Grizzlies have plans to move the team to Nashville?  I don't know if I could cheer for them if that happened....anybody hear anything like this or is it just a rumor from thin air?  

I highly doubt that.  Nashville isn't a whole lot larger than Memphis and already has two major pro sports teams (three now if you count the MLS) so I doubt it could support another any time soon. 

So you mean an owner with absolutely no personal or professional ties to Tennessee is going to force through the significant complications of breaking the Forum lease and getting league permission to move the franchise... to Nashville? Of all the places that could host an NBA franchise? And this is said by Marc in Toronto and leaked to a Memphis radio... because Canadians care about Tennessee intra-state politics?

Frankly, this doesn’t pass the smell test.

The team isn't going anywhere for the next 8 years at least. The contract is iron clad and with the increase in team values it is far less likely an owner will attempt to move the team than it was 10 years ago. 

This thread needs to be deleted or locked as it's nothing more than pure trolling. ZERO percent factual.

I hope it never happens. I haven't been to Memphis yet. 

14 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I highly doubt that.  Nashville isn't a whole lot larger than Memphis and already has two major pro sports teams (three now if you count the MLS) so I doubt it could support another any time soon. 

Nashville would support them though

14 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

So you mean an owner with absolutely no personal or professional ties to Tennessee is going to force through the significant complications of breaking the Forum lease and getting league permission to move the franchise... to Nashville? Of all the places that could host an NBA franchise? And this is said by Marc in Toronto and leaked to a Memphis radio... because Canadians care about Tennessee intra-state politics?

Frankly, this doesn’t pass the smell test.

Did someone say smell test?

that-moment-fart-meme.png

A rumor like this came out from Birmingham of all places a few years ago. People need to realize how tough it would be to break that lease.

I live fairly close to Nashville and have heard nothing about this.  Not even a rumor.

It might be tough to support the pro hockey and pro basketball both equally and people here LOVE the hockey team.

I heard from a reliably unreliable source that the Grizzlies were being moved back to Vancouver, the experiment was a mistake...

I think Big Country leaked it...

Is it possible Gasol was talking about pre-season camp?  They had it at Vandy one year and it turned out really good.  I'm pretty sure they stayed at the very nice Marriott right by the back door to Memorial Gym.  It's doesn't get more convenient.

I remember that they played a public scrimmage at Ensworth to break camp and people say it was beyond packed.  I would love to see the Grizz return for camp and maybe play an NBA exhibition game here instead of a scrimmage.  But this needs to be the end of the tanking or their fans in middle TN will lose interest.  Start going to the playoffs again, and the interest will increase drastically.

Personally, I think relocation is bad for the league.

Personally, I ALSO think that the league could profit from having two expansion teams (at the very least it would help the next TV deal, and let's face it ALL pro sports are built around the TV Business Model.)

Get a team in Seattle (duh).

Get the OTHER team in Nashville.

Move some teams around if you have to or just put Nashville in our division.  Memphis-Nashville would be an EPIC rivalry.

Seattle-Portland would also renew THEIR rivalry.  

Seattle/Lakers would be a great rivalry, too.

Put the Sonics G League team in Vancouver.

Put Nashville's G League team in Louisville.

If one team moves East then maybe New Orleans.  It would help with ratings if they end up with a great lotto pick.  

Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio would be a really cool division.  

Move OKC east if you have too.

OR, maybe it would be more EPIC if Memphis-Nashville only played each other twice a year.  Home-and-home during the regular season with the pre-season game rotating between Louisville, Lexington, Little Rock, Birmingham, and Knoxville.  ... you could also get some crossover TV viewership with Memphis watching more East games and Nashville fans watching more West games.  

If the league expanded all the way to 34 teams the other two choices should be Kansas City (rivalry with OKC) and Las Vegas.  If not KC, then St. Louis with them joining the Bucks, Hawks, and Pacers in the central division.  

If the league wants to go ALL-IN on TV deals, merch sales, and "global appeal" then they should go to 34 teams.  A Seattle expansion team would get great ratings in Vancouver, BC and Las Vegas would get great global ratings especially if they had great marketing.  

If we do this soon, then you are just in time for LeBron's retirement road show which would be HUGE for attendance and ratings.

After that you can build the NBA on a parity model like the NFL (kinda) has.  Not every team would have a superstar but each team would at least have a semi-All Star type -- maybe you expand All Star Game rosters to 13 regular spots with 1 VETERAN spot.  Let the All Star Game captains just basically pick whoever they want for picks 13 and 14.

Nashville area has changed.  There are so many people "not from around here" that the hockey rivalries have developed in very non-geographic ways.  No special rivalry with Dallas or St. Louis or Carolina.  Used to be Detroit but that was replaced by a rivalry with Chicago.  Next up is a developing rivalry with Winnipeg... yes, the one in Canada.  Preds are in a war for 1st place in the Central with them right now.  Vegas, the new kid on the block is very easy to hate with their circus-o-lame pregame BS.

But I don't think  a bitter hoops rivalry would develop automatically if Nashville got an NBA team.  Which isn't going to happen.

There is still MLB chatter but the new MiLB stadium is landlocked and expanding it to MLB capacity is next to impossible.  I'm not sure if the new soccer stadium will be able to be converted to MLB baseball.  It seems doubtful.

Getting out of that contract would be so complex, convoluted and complicated that I doubt it's even worth, Now 2027 is another thing altogether. After 25 plus years though, it would have been a good run if they do move. I do question sometimes if the entire Memphis community ever embraced the Grizz.There are so many bandwagon fans of "winning" franchises who refuse to support the Grizz (a lot in my own family) that it's sickening at times.

I don't blame lack of support or lack of attendance on market size nor finances, I think it's mainly the mentality. I know so many born and raised Memphians who are anti-Memphis at all costs, including 2 of my closest friends who I always see when I come back home.

9 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

2027 is the date to keep in mind, no doubt. Anything before is unrealistic given the local owners' right of first refusal.

In August 2019 I wondered aloud in another Grizzlies Lease/Relocation thread that 'what if the league folded before our lease ran out'?  

At this rate... if the league doesn't fold by 2027 I feel like I owe Chip a steak dinner.

11 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

2027 is the date to keep in mind, no doubt. Anything before is unrealistic given the local owners' right of first refusal.

Pera could go full Mark Cuban and force minority owners out with financial losses. 

I believe an interesting point is that Pera's business is in China. There has been a lot turmoil with foreign owned businesses in China this year. Is there, or will there be, a negatve effect for Pera's business? 

On 10/23/2020 at 11:46 AM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Getting out of that contract would be so complex, convoluted and complicated that I doubt it's even worth, Now 2027 is another thing altogether. After 25 plus years though, it would have been a good run if they do move. I do question sometimes if the entire Memphis community ever embraced the Grizz.There are so many bandwagon fans of "winning" franchises who refuse to support the Grizz (a lot in my own family) that it's sickening at times.

I don't blame lack of support or lack of attendance on market size nor finances, I think it's mainly the mentality. I know so many born and raised Memphians who are anti-Memphis at all costs, including 2 of my closest friends who I always see when I come back home.

Yeah, a lot of self-hate amongst Memphians... very unfortunate, and not at all warranted.