Sign in to follow this  
MickyFrickyGrizzyFan

Are we witnessing the “New Goon Squad”??

Is this the band of castoffs that will have us as excited as we were for the likes of Lance “Born Ready” Stephenson, PJ Hairston, and Chris "Birdman" Andersen back in early 2016??

I for one is elated about these acquisitions so I thought I would provide a little premature prognostication: The new guys have already increased the Grizzlies' defensive effort on the perimeter, where previously everyone seemingly moved to the beat of Marc Gasol’s drum. Avery alone has been known to be active on that end. I think Jamicayal Green and Temple were always better at guarding smaller guys than guarding guys at their positions, so replacing them with guys who can defend out on the perimeter was a good move to shore up a defense with a long reputation for toughness. Gasol wasn’t present during the first Goon Squad inception so I think this situation is similar and fitting. 

The new players and the absence of Gasol force the Grizzlies to play smaller, which means they're using more of Jevon, Delon Wright, and oft Bradley and Miles. I think all of our guards right now, regardless of what their true position is, are a potential dangerous line-up. I can see Delon Wright providing Beno Udrih level play but if Jevon alone can improve his perimeter game he will likely be far and away the best second PG the Grizzlies have had to put next to Conley in recent memory. Yes, better than the Conley/Calathes duo and Conley/Chalmers one. 

We may not always approve of Wallace and the F.O.’s choices and decisions but I myself can’t deny that they are bold and calculated. Except though when they signed Conley to the largest deal in NBA history at the time, after a injury laden season. 

Conventional wisdom tells me that a rebuild isn’t in this franchise’s plans. Conventional wisdom tells me Wallace will NOT BE FIRED. Finally, conventional wisdom tells me Conley will have to submit to Jaron Jackson Jr. in the sense of who the closer is and finding him to end games. Regardless, I welcome these late season moves and are looking forward to seeing these guys prove themselves in a place where you're never fully dressed without a chip on your shoulder, GRINDHOUSE BABY!!!! 

Bradley isn’t infamous for anything like Lance Stephenson’s ear blowing of LeBron James but he underwhelmed with the Clips and C.J Miles doesn’t come with any behavioral issues but has been inconsistent from 3 point range like PJ Hairston was. Delon Wright couldn’t seem to get out of Lowry and Vanfleet’s shadow in Toronto and Jonas Valanciunas isn’t as frightening with the tattoos as Birdman was but is bigger and a better finisher, I think that aspect of his game supplants his lack of mobility on the defense end. 

Is this the new Goon Squad that Mike Conley put into circulation via twitter in early 2016? Could this be the start of a new era even with the beloved Mike Conley still at the helm? I will definitely be staying tuned.

10 minutes ago, MickyFrickyGrizzyFan said:

Is this the band of castoffs that will have us as excited as we were for the likes of Lance “Born Ready” Stephenson, PJ Hairston, and Chris "Birdman" Andersen back in early 2016??

Is this the new Goon Squad that Mike Conley put into circulation via twitter in early 2016? Could this be the start of a new era even with the beloved Mike Conley still at the helm? I will definitely be staying tuned.

You were excited by those guys?  I wasn't.  They went 5-15 and got swept in the playoffs.  I rooted for them, but excited?  Nah.  If we want to convey that pick we'll need to play way better than the "goon squad".

1 hour ago, MickyFrickyGrizzyFan said:

I don't remember being excited for those guys and really don't remember a large contingent of fans being that way either. 

Also, it's been 1 game. Let's hope for the best but I can't judge anything off of one game. 

We have depth, length,  versatility, and either guys on rookie deals or "young" vets led by our own version of Tom Brady (John Stockton) Mike Conley.  

Although we might need The Con Man to play until he is 40, the future is NOW for Mike Conley and the ALT GRIND All Stars.