Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

Avoiding the lottery strategy, and other topics about Mike Conley and the rebuild

5 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Where you from? A TIE? Down here it is a TEE. Now about your list, I don't care for Jevon, he's like MC, he goes places he should never go, and gets himself in trouble. He would have to improve a lot for me to keep him. I DON'T like short guards.

Why do your posts always seem like you are finishing a thought in your mind rather than continuing an ongoing conversation?

4 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I think you're looking at MC like he is a gold mind, I don't think many GMs will be looking at him like that. You do know he has been injured quite a bit and is getting up in age. 

What's a "gold mind"?

2 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why do your posts always seem like you are finishing a thought in your mind rather than continuing an ongoing conversation?

What's a "gold mind"?

A brain with a lot of yellow stuff in it. Dipstick. 

Just now, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I think you're looking at MC like he is a gold mind, I don't think many GMs will be looking at him like that. You do know he has been injured quite a bit and is getting up in age. 

i think he can be to the right team , look what harris got ,  getting that kind of return takes a perfect trade partner though .  i doubt many saw harris getting that kind of return

5 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

What's a "gold mind"?

I was just wondering where he came from that they said fit like a tie? I'd be very surprised if it is Tennessee.

1 minute ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I was just wondering where he came from that they said fit like a tie? I'd be very surprised if it is Tennessee.

Probably autocorrect or something.

2 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

i think he can be to the right team , look what harris got ,  getting that kind of return takes a perfect trade partner though .  i doubt many saw harris getting that kind of return

I really don't see that trade, you got too many shooters on that team, the old Celtics really only had 2 shooters, they had 3 guys who could really play D, and they won and won and won and won and won and won and won  and won,  heck I can't even keep up with how many times they won. 

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Probably autocorrect or something.

How about autoincorrect? I really didn't know if he meant tie or tee, just jerking his chain and then you had to come up with mine.

16 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I really don't see that trade, you got too many shooters on that team, the old Celtics really only had 2 shooters, they had 3 guys who could really play D, and they won and won and won and won and won and won and won  and won,  heck I can't even keep up with how many times they won. 

i'm not sure if you noticed  it but this isn't the nba of the 80's those celtics teams had one of the best 3pt shooters of all time and were mostly near top the 3PA and 3p% ,   PHI has two guys that are all def type players in Emiib and butler and have simmons who's who can guard 1-5  and is pretty elite himself along with 2 shooters with Harris and JJ . 

I'm not talking about the 80s, I was talking about the 60s. You still got too many shooters, somebody is going to have to cut back on their shots. Embiid didn't like it when they got Butler, they moved him outside to give Butler room to go 1 on 1. So who is going to be the 1s who have to give up shots for Harris?

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-indiana-pacers-explore-moving-rookie-aaron-holiday-before-deadline-victor-oladipo/1r77nxlk59ggs1h9lfffeq5d8t

ndiana is exploring moving rookie Aaron Holiday before the Feb. 7 trade deadline, according to a report from the Indianapolis Star, which cites unidentified league sources.

The 22-year-old is aware he could be traded this week, the report says.

Holiday has averaged 5.7 points and 1.5 assists in 11.5 minutes per game this season. He’s shooting 40.2 percent from the field and 31.5 percent from 3-point range.

The Pacers selected Holiday out of UCLA with the 23rd pick in the 2018 draft. He has been behind point guards Cory Joseph and Darren Collison on the team’s depth chart.

My hypothesis is that he would've been included in a Conley deal if IND and MEM pulled the trigger.  That's why i think its still possible to end up with him this summer.    MEM clearly couldn't take on all the players required to make an INDY deal considering how large the return was for Gasol.   Waiting till the summer means we wont have to.  

1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I'm not talking about the 80s, I was talking about the 60s. You still got too many shooters, somebody is going to have to cut back on their shots. Embiid didn't like it when they got Butler, they moved him outside to give Butler room to go 1 on 1. So who is going to be the 1s who have to give up shots for Harris?

why do you think they brought in harris ? they upgraded last years roster from saric to HAriss and Covington to Butler.  they moved Chandler , Covington , Saric , Muscala , Fultz , Shamer .  plently of shots to go around and i'd think Tobias takes quite a load off JJ  giving him less shots and better looks . i think i heard this same thing with the heat and Warriors , yet somehow they managed.

If we don't end up conveying the pick this year then we have to keep Conley and try to make the playoffs next season unless we can get a no-brainer trade (top 8 pick plus Conley for Anthony Davis and a point guard).  

The league is too talented, too hard, too competitive, too complicated not to have an elite floor general.  Don't get rid of Conley unless we get back a similarly talented point guard (Rubio? Lowry? Jru Holiday?) or a stud rookie.  

You planning on making a sub out of Tobias? Giving JJ less shots? Sheesh man, he is 1 of the top gunners out there.

what do you think harris is ? and why would he be a sub ? 

simmons/jj/butler/harris/embiid

I don't think he is in JJ range but he is a good all around player.

have you ever watched harris ?  he's a 3pt threat for sure . 

3 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Rudy was playing like a dog when they traded him, don't forget that. I do believe he has been humbled by being traded so much. Hasn't he played for 4 or more teams?

I agree with this. I think being traded twice so quick (from us to Toronto then from Toronto to Sac) definitely humbled him.

Also playing for Pop makes most players better.

Just now, SC Grizz said:

I agree with this. I think being traded twice so quick (from us to Toronto then from Toronto to Sac) definitely humbled him.

we also screamed on this boards that he should be in the post way more which i think SAC started doing and what do ya know his game started looking better and better

have you ever watched harris ?  he's a 3pt threat for sure . 

Yeah I know he is but he doesn't have the quick release that JJ has. He's a really good player. I would bet you that Philly has a worse record now than they did before they got Butler. You got a bunch of guys on that team that should be SS, you think they are going to be okay with being asked to do less?

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

About Rebuild strategy -

This trade was really good in terms of getting actual NBA players that can help win games.     Get us a real look at guys we would probably have to overpay in FA too ( Delon, Avery, and Justin).   However, we now have a lot more useful players that don't all fit as seamlessly as we need (JV and Noah can't play togther,  Parson and Kyle?) .   

I looked at who is under contract for next season

• Conley
  • Parsons
  • Jonas (player option)
  • Avery( 2m guaranteed)
  • Jevon
  • Kyle
  • CJ (player option)
  • Ivan (team)
  • Jaren
  • Delon (RFA)
  • Dillon

That's 11 guys!  and doesn't include Bruno, Noah, Tyler, or Justin.     Personally, i want to bring back all 4 of those guys and loose Parsons.   No reason why CJ wont pick up his option and depending on how we use Jonas i see the same for him.    I was against Avery at first but it is nice having another guy that can actually dribble and score.    Just like Toke says it is important to have a high energy crazy guy on your team - Noah fits that to a tie while also being a useful player.    I still think Bruno is best used as a SF with crazy length 3D that can play some stretch 4.    CJ is your spot up shooter that can also be a crafty scorer and great vet lockerroom guy.   Tyler Dorsey projects to be a floor spacing shooter and is young enough to be in Jaren window.    Delon is a combo that has size to defend multiple positions and get to the rim to draw fouls but we will have to pay to keep him.    I love SloMo his defense and BBIQ are off the charts.    Lineup with Avery + Delon + Justin + Kyle + Jaren would be ludicrous!  

From a Jaren window standpoint Jevon, Dillon, Ivan, Tyler, Bruno, and Kyle all fit perfectly.     

I mean this with all due respect but a lot of this sounds like scrub love.

We shouldn't be planning for anything based on Delon Wright. If he is decent (jury is still out) we can match his offer. That's all I would do for him.

JV hasn't even played a game for us yet, but hopefully he is decent. 

Noah is redundant when you already have Jackson, Rabb and Valanciunas. We agree here.

Dorsey will be in China next year. Jevon could easily be there in three years.

Trading Conley would certainly lock us into the bottom 3 for the next 2 years so this might be an excellent strategy if we convey the pick this summer!

I would try to bring back Justin Holiday though it is nice having someone thay can occasionally hit an open 3. 

8 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Players know he won't stand for guys who take it upon themselves to decide what they are going to do. You do that with him and you're gone.

Yeah I know he is but he doesn't have the quick release that JJ has. He's a really good player. I would bet you that Philly has a worse record now than they did before they got Butler. You got a bunch of guys on that team that should be SS, you think they are going to be okay with being asked to do less?

maybe they do , the loss of Saric was a big though and is what forced Embiid to play out at the line more , it wasnt so much butler coming in but saric leaving . i mean it was both but thats why HArris was brought in .

we also screamed on this boards that he should be in the post way more which i think SAC started doing and what do ya know his game started looking better and better

Ya no doubt. The post game was a big help. We had MacBo running things down there though.